Forum Statistics
Forums59
Topics1,037,798
Posts13,934,681
Members144,150
Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
MY SWEET LITTLE BROTHER … THE POTLICKER!!! — 103 FISH @ BELTON #13685645 08/30/20 11:15 PM
Holding The Line Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
MY SWEET LITTLE BROTHER … THE POTLICKER!!! — 103 FISH @ BELTON

WHO I FISHED WITH: This past Saturday evening, August 29th, I fished for a second time with the entire Olds family from the Austin area. Joining me this evening were Brian, Tasha, Katelyn (age 12) and Connor (age 8). They previously came out with me back in November of 2016.

Both Brian and Tasha work in the computer industry, and 2020 has been a very busy one for them thus far.

They got to squeeze in a few vacation days for the first time in a long time last week, and wanted to do this fishing trip together before the busyness of the new school years with sports-filled weekends, etc. kicks in.

[Linked Image]

PHOTO CAPTION #1: The Olds Family — August 29, 2020

WHERE WE FISHED: Belton Lake

HOW WE FISHED: As I thought ahead on how to conduct this trip and keep the kids engaged, my chief concern was the combination of very hot weather and the possibility of slow action in the first half of the trip, leaving the kids too worn out to enjoy the typically solid action from white bass about 1.5 to 2 hours prior to sunset.

Since the kids fished with me previously in November, and since that was 4 years ago, I thought doing something different on this trip would keep them engaged, so, I chose a few shaded areas where I felt our chances at catching sunfish would be strong. Sunfish typically fall out of my catch by mid-October, but, the hotter the water, the better they bite. We hit two shallow water areas using bream poles and, with Brian’s capable assistance, we kept both Connor and Katelyn on the fish for a full 2+ hours, landed bluegill sunfish, green sunfish, and 1 longear sunfish.

As the kids fished, I noted that Connor had a “tendency” to flip his rig right into the same spot Katelyn had just pulled a sunfish from instead of fishing with confidence in his own areas. I chuckled when I saw this and told the kids that in the fishing world, this is called “potlicking” and that a person engaged in potlicking is called a potlicker.

Defined, a potlicker is someone who, instead of having the confidence in their own abilities to find and catch fish, simply looks for others who have found fish and then horns in, uninvited, on top of the person who has already put the work. After introducing the term, as siblings will, each accused the other fairly routinely of potlicking for the remainder of our trip. Potlicking aside, the kids boated 62 sunfish.

Around 6:30-6:45 we shifted gears and changed our focus to hunting white bass in open water using downriggers. The fishing was pretty straightforward as we used 3-armed umbrella rigs equipped with Pet Spoons. We got right into fish after setting the balls to depth, and the frequency of our hookups increased as dark approached. We took singles, doubles and two sets of triples right up until dark, putting 41 white bass in the boat.

You can bet the sibs were quite competitive on the downrigging fish count, as well!!

TALLY: 70 fish caught and released (69 white bass, 1 largemouth bass)

OBSERVATIONS: No observed topwater action.

TODAY’S CONDITIONS/NOTES:

Start Time: 4:30PM

End Time: 8:30PM

Air Temp. @ Trip’s Start: 100F

Elevation: 2.75′ low, -0.05′ 24-hour change, 51 CFS flow

Water Surface Temp: 86.0F

Wind Speed & Direction: SSE8.

Moon Phase: Waxing gibbous with 86% illumination

GT = 50

AREAS FISHED WITH SUCCESS:

**Area B0032G and B0036G 62 sunfish in first 2 hours

**Area 085 – center of mass for evening downrigging for white bass. Fished out deeper than this area up to around 7:50, then moved on the shallow side of this area for the last minutes of light.

Bob Maindelle

Full-time, Professional Fishing Guide and Owner of Holding the Line Guide Service

Belton Lake Fishing Guide, Stillhouse Hollow Fishing Guide

254.368.7411 (call or text) Website: www.HoldingTheLineGuideService.com

E-mail: Bob@HoldingTheLineGuideService.com

Facebook: www.facebook.com/bobmaindelle

Twitter: www.twitter.com/bobmaindelle

[Linked Image]
Bob Maindelle, 254-368-7411
Holding The Line Guide Service
Bob@HoldingTheLineGuideService.com
Stillhouse & Belton
Ask About Trips for Kids

Re: MY SWEET LITTLE BROTHER … THE POTLICKER!!! — 103 FISH @ BELTON [Re: Holding The Line] #13685668 08/30/20 11:49 PM
banker-always fishing Offline
Pumpkin Head
Pumpkin Head
Good times and Lifetime Memories made. Awesome post. cheers

[Linked Image][Linked Image]

IGFA World Record Rio Grande Cichlid. Lake Dunlap.

John 3:16

Sinner's Prayer. God forgive me a sinner. I accept Jesus Christ as my Savior !
Re: MY SWEET LITTLE BROTHER … THE POTLICKER!!! — 103 FISH @ BELTON [Re: Holding The Line] #13686571 08/31/20 06:57 PM
T
TreeBass Offline
Lt. Dan
Lt. Dan
T
LOL, looks like they had a blast!

[Linked Image]

My success in life is measured by the number of hunting
and fishing stories that my kids can share with others

Sure-Life Products
Dobyns Rods
Holding The Line Guide Service