Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Big Bass Derby Strategy?!?? #13677105 08/22/20 09:57 PM
thirtysixit Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
I'm fishing my first Big Bass tournament in a month on LBJ. There will be hourly weigh-ins. Is there a good strategy on when to weigh in or do y'all head to the scales when you catch a good one?

"Show me a man who will jump out of an airplane, and I'll show you a man who'll fight."
- Lt. Gen. James M. Gavin
Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: Big Bass Derby Strategy?!?? [Re: thirtysixit] #13677126 08/22/20 10:20 PM
B
bassmanrudy Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
B
You'll need to pay attention to either the radio or online site that is constantly updating to try and determine "when" to go. Look up any past big bass tourneys on that lake and you'll have an idea of say "any 6lber will get a check" whereas if you have a "4lber" might want to wait until you know if it will cash or not. I fished my first big bass tourney earlier this year and some hours a 3lber would have cashed a check and some hours it took a 5+ to do the same thing! Good luck!

Re: Big Bass Derby Strategy?!?? [Re: thirtysixit] #13677680 08/23/20 02:34 PM
Bruce Allen Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
The first hour weigh in is usually very busy. Unless you have a real big fish I'd tell you to wait it out until at least the 2nd hour or later. A lot depends on how many anglers are registered.

I've watched the many hourlys held at Fork while running the live release boat and that seems to be the trend.

Lake Fork Anglers
Every Thursday
Daytime Tournaments.

Lake Fork Sportsman's Association
www.lakeforksa.com/

We are VERY PROUD of our Induction into the
Texas Freshwater Fishing Hall of Fame.

Re: Big Bass Derby Strategy?!?? [Re: thirtysixit] #13677775 08/23/20 04:01 PM
F
Frank the Tank Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
F
You just need to get time on the water. Nothing replaces time on the water.

Jesus loves all of us
Re: Big Bass Derby Strategy?!?? [Re: thirtysixit] #13677781 08/23/20 04:08 PM
Ken A. Offline
Groovy
Groovy
Originally Posted by thirtysixit
I'm fishing my first Big Bass tournament in a month on LBJ. There will be hourly weigh-ins. Is there a good strategy on when to weigh in or do y'all head to the scales when you catch a good one?

Yes there is.

Make sure you have a good accurate scale so you know what your fish weighs within an ounce or two. Listen to the radio or watch the website. Most folks make the mistake of going to weigh their fish right away when they catch a big one due to the excitement of the moment. That is a mistake unless it is a GIANT. If you know you have a 8.25 in the well and an 8.96 is leading the hour don't go in that hour. Wait.

If the next hour there is a 6.88 leading, go into the marina 20 mins early but don't take your fish. Walk up to the TD and ask what's leading. Observe any other guys that will be at the tanks at the weigh in to see if they have a fish larger than yours. If they do, go back to your boat & go fishing. If they don't, hold your fish until the last 5 seconds before that hour closes then hand it to the TD.

I won $50K at the 2012 Mega Bass event on Fork and helped a young man win a new Ram truck by making sure we knew who's fish was bigger before we weighed them. He was about to weigh his fish thinking it was bigger than mine. They looked like twins. I got the digital scales from my boat and we weighed both fish on my scale. My fish went 9.50 and his fish went 9.35. This all happened at the weigh in stage while the TD was saying, "Y'all bring them fish up here and let's weigh em"

He waited for two hours to weigh his fish and won a new Dodge Ram truck. If he had weighed his fish when he was about to it would have cost him $17K. When the event was over he came up to me and shook my hand and said, "Man, thank you so much! I was going to weigh my fish because I was so stoked."

Last edited by Ken A.; 08/23/20 04:10 PM.

Re: Big Bass Derby Strategy?!?? [Re: thirtysixit] #13678072 08/23/20 10:12 PM
Bruce Allen Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
Ken is exactly right.

Lake Fork Anglers
Every Thursday
Daytime Tournaments.

Lake Fork Sportsman's Association
www.lakeforksa.com/

We are VERY PROUD of our Induction into the
Texas Freshwater Fishing Hall of Fame.

Re: Big Bass Derby Strategy?!?? [Re: Ken A.] #13678261 08/24/20 01:26 AM
BigDozer66 Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
Originally Posted by Ken A.

Yes there is.

Make sure you have a good accurate scale so you know what your fish weighs within an ounce or two. Listen to the radio or watch the website. Most folks make the mistake of going to weigh their fish right away when they catch a big one due to the excitement of the moment. That is a mistake unless it is a GIANT. If you know you have a 8.25 in the well and an 8.96 is leading the hour don't go in that hour. Wait.

If the next hour there is a 6.88 leading, go into the marina 20 mins early but don't take your fish. Walk up to the TD and ask what's leading. Observe any other guys that will be at the tanks at the weigh in to see if they have a fish larger than yours. If they do, go back to your boat & go fishing. If they don't, hold your fish until the last 5 seconds before that hour closes then hand it to the TD.

I won $50K at the 2012 Mega Bass event on Fork and helped a young man win a new Ram truck by making sure we knew who's fish was bigger before we weighed them. He was about to weigh his fish thinking it was bigger than mine. They looked like twins. I got the digital scales from my boat and we weighed both fish on my scale. My fish went 9.50 and his fish went 9.35. This all happened at the weigh in stage while the TD was saying, "Y'all bring them fish up here and let's weigh em"

He waited for two hours to weigh his fish and won a new Dodge Ram truck. If he had weighed his fish when he was about to it would have cost him $17K. When the event was over he came up to me and shook my hand and said, "Man, thank you so much! I was going to weigh my fish because I was so stoked."

cheers

2016 Ranger RT188 Charcoal Metallic Dual Console
2017 Yamaha 115 VMAX SHO (VF115LA) SS Prop
Minn Kota Ultrex i-Pilot Link 45" 80 lb.
Humminbird Helix 10 Mega SI BalZout Console
Humminbird Helix 10 Mega SI BBT Bow Mount
Trick Step

[Linked Image]
Re: Big Bass Derby Strategy?!?? [Re: Ken A.] #13678499 08/24/20 01:01 PM
K
Kisndismis Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
K

Yes there is.

Ken not only do I like watching your videos, but this is a straight up solid in my book. Total respect for you for that. Like me giving guys the worms I used at ramps sometimes in front of my sons, teaching them to do things right. These things come back to help you in the future.

Last edited by Kisndismis; 08/24/20 01:02 PM.

Watch it happen, make it happen, or say what the hell happened. Capt. Phil Harris F/V Cornelia Marie RIP
Re: Big Bass Derby Strategy?!?? [Re: Kisndismis] #13678541 08/24/20 01:47 PM
B
BThomas Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
B
Originally Posted by Kisndismis

Yes there is.

Ken not only do I like watching your videos, but this is a straight up solid in my book. Total respect for you for that. Like me giving guys the worms I used at ramps sometimes in front of my sons, teaching them to do things right. These things come back to help you in the future.

Wrong Ken. But Ken A is a great guy.

Re: Big Bass Derby Strategy?!?? [Re: Ken A.] #13679277 08/25/20 01:06 AM
pacertom Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler

Yes there is.

And that next hour, me and that guy did a friendly weigh in at the tanks and whoever's was bigger got to go...He waited til the next hour. Mine was 9.36 and I think his was 9.32 but the scale we used had it a couple more ounces different....Goes to show how much water those big ole mouths/bellies will hold - or not hold. I know I remember telling you about the 4 or 5 shad mine spit up in the livewell...UGH !!

A MAN WILL NEVER GO TO HIS GRAVE WISHING HE'D FISHED LESS!!
Re: Big Bass Derby Strategy?!?? [Re: Kisndismis] #13679366 08/25/20 02:43 AM
Walls Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler

Yes there is.

I think you have a couple “Kens” lumped as one.

Re: Big Bass Derby Strategy?!?? [Re: Walls] #13679566 08/25/20 12:34 PM
Ken A. Offline
Groovy
Groovy
Originally Posted by WALLS

Yes there is.

I think you have a couple “Kens” lumped as one.

Yeah I'm the better looking one! roflmao

Re: Big Bass Derby Strategy?!?? [Re: thirtysixit] #13679729 08/25/20 02:53 PM
Fish Killer Offline
Big Sexy
Big Sexy
May just be me but I hate hearing a tournament called a “derby”

LIKE the TFF on Facebook - www.facebook.com/texasfishingforum

You want to make a difference in life? Take a kid fishing!
Re: Big Bass Derby Strategy?!?? [Re: Kisndismis] #13679740 08/25/20 03:03 PM
D
Douglas J Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
D

Yes there is.

where can I find Ken's videos? Wait, I may not want to see that bolt

#MFGA
Re: Big Bass Derby Strategy?!?? [Re: Fish Killer] #13679746 08/25/20 03:05 PM
D
Douglas J Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
D
Originally Posted by Fish Killer
May just be me but I hate hearing a tournament called a “derby”

spot on hammer

#MFGA