Print Thread
Need new places to catfish #13676080 08/21/20 10:05 PM
C
Chase McCallum Offline OP
Green Horn
OP Offline
Green Horn
C
Hi I’m new to the midlothian area, my closest lakes are Joe Pool Lake and Lake Waxahachie, I live in the 76065 area and I’m looking for new places to fish, I’ve been going out fishing once every couple of days for the past few weeks and I’m barely catching anything, I’ll go out with 3-5 friends and we’ve all got several poles in the water but nothings biting, could anyone give me some tips or some good spots? We just wanna have a good time but it’s just starting to feel like a waste of time and money, thanks

Wet Rooster Jigs Fishing Super Store
Re: Need new places to catfish [Re: Chase McCallum] #13676334 08/22/20 02:01 AM
O
Osbornfishing Online Content
TFF Team Angler
Online Content
TFF Team Angler
O
welcome When it is over 100 degrees it is tough fishing. Fish early and late. Look for areas where you can reach deep water (15 to 25 feet). Don’t ignore small community ponds. They can be good this time of year. You can search the Texas Parks andWildlife site to find community ponds in your area. Most importantly, hang in there a few more weeks. Fall is coming and the bite will improve.

Re: Need new places to catfish [Re: Chase McCallum] #13676422 08/22/20 03:40 AM
C
Catfish Lynn Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
C
Welcome to the TFF Chase!!! One suggestion is to utilize my Catfish Calendar. See the thread titled "Lynn's Catfish Calendar". Currently it is on page 3 & 6th from the bottom. August calendar was posted on 7-26-20. September will be up from somewhere between 31st & 2nd.

Not sure how far away is Lake Limestone (for you), even though not maybe down the street, it is probably like me, within an hours reach. We drop in at Running Branch Marina, on the west side accessing the lake via the Running Branch fork of the lake. Not sure if you are bank or boat fishing. Best if you had a boat, especially due to the heat.

Just as OsbornFishing noted, it is a killer in this heat during the day, so best to hit them late in the evening, night, or early morning.

Looking at the Calendar, this past week was pretty well ZIP (one of my 4 sigs) from 17th Monday thru 22nd Saturday. Even though my Calendar is geared for Yellows, Blues, and Gator Gars, I seem to catch more Channels on BFT (another of my 4 sigs) days, of which the 23rd & 24th Sunday & Monday are. Also see the KEY for help/hints. The Calendar shares which of my 4 sigs has the strongest pull that particular day. My PYC days are separate from the actual Calendar, as it is based on my knowledge of the pattern of the YellowCat's "roam-feed" instincts instilled in them.

Lynn
aka "Catfish"
Re: Need new places to catfish [Re: Osbornfishing] #13676481 08/22/20 05:07 AM
C
Green Horn
OP Offline
Green Horn
C
Thank you very much for your input, I’ve always had really good luck during the fall and winter but never knew it made too big of a difference considering I mostly night fish, I guess I’ll just wait till fall or try deep water here in a couple of days, thanks for your reply

Re: Need new places to catfish [Re: Catfish Lynn] #13676482 08/22/20 05:09 AM
C
Green Horn
OP Offline
Green Horn
C
Thank you so much for the very detailed reply, I’ll have to give that Marina a try it sounds promising, I only bank fish because I’m only 20 and I haven’t had the opportunity to get a boat but I’ve been looking into kayaks recently lol, I’m gonna check that calendar out though for sure, thank you for making a calendar like that accessible to everyone by the way, that’s awesome

Re: Need new places to catfish [Re: Chase McCallum] #13676646 08/22/20 01:39 PM
C
Catfish Lynn Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
C
Not a problem, as to making the Calendar available. It is just one facet of the wide range of private research I do.

Running Branch Marina & Campground had a man-made inlet created many years ago. I can only guess, but I think (suspect) a smaller creek fed into the lake, which was dug out to connect for boats. It ranges from 1 to 5 (maybe 6 feet) deep. During the drought of 2011, the Running Branch end dried up halfway to the end of the No Wake Zone, which is a good 15 minute travel at put-putt speed. Darrell had someone dig out the channels there in the Campground.

At the deepest point of the No Wake Zone, it is about 13 feet deep. In this heat, you would only probably have better luck in the cooler evenings, nights, and early morning in the Running Branch Marina & Campground area. I recall about 1 AM one night, that I & James S. came back in from running my Big Water trotlines (at the bottom of the lake), and several guys were rod-n-reeling there at the boat ramp & pier walkway. There were pulling in some nice Channels about 18"+. I forget what they were using for bait, but James S. talked to them & decided to go do what they were doing. That was one hot July 4th holiday trip. 6 of us had rented a cabin that round (3 day holiday trip), to have some nice AC to get out of the heat when not fishing.

The reason I suggest RB, is that there are plenty of fish in the No Wake end of the RB fork coming out of the Campground by boat. We tested out some 2 man vinyl rafts back during the first weekend of August. These rafts had 2 r-n-r holders made on- Intex SeaHawk2, plus I had one BestWay TreckX2 for me a backup (no r-n-r holders). Well, we found out they work for short rods, not long ones, as they tend to bend over. Plus, much tougher to squirm around in for activity as compared to a boat. I also set out 6 4-hook juglines with weights about a mile out of RB Marina. That was work indeed. If two of you get kayaks, I suggest a light frame connecting both to look similar to the type used on some tropical isles. But instead of having a slim boat, the pontoon connected, would be another kayak or canoe. Much more stable & safer.

Every now & then, Academy has a kayak for $200. I bought another 12 foot aluminum flat bottom in December 2017. They weren't cheap at $650 (I think that was what it cost). I forget what the little bass boats cost, or the paddle boat.

The other good thing about coming out of RB Marina, is in the fact of high winds, the main lake is treacherous, but the RB fork is much calmer & you can fish it in the rougher conditions.

Lynn
aka "Catfish"
Re: Need new places to catfish [Re: Chase McCallum] #13716830 10/01/20 03:03 AM
M
MrRoachie Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
M
Better late than never....

Look for bridges that deeper water or well defined creeks.

God loves you just as much as anybody else!!

Jesus offered His life as a gift for you. Please accept it!
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide