Online Content
TFF Guru
E
Originally Posted by rut-roe
Originally Posted by Lone_Wolf
I really want one of the motorguide tour pro's when they come out

Yeah that’s what I’m waiting on too.

LOL go for it.

Motorguide has been lagging behind the others for years and always will.

Last edited by ezbassin; 08/19/20 12:53 AM.
Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: which trolling motor to buy?t [Re: hardknocks] #13672833 08/18/20 11:22 PM
E
ETxRT Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
E
Xi5 here... I love it, I don’t use the foot pedal, remote only. There are a few quirks with it, the biggest one I’m not a fan of is the deploy and stow method. I put a bike handle on it and that helped but it’s still a pain. If you’re looking at going with a 360 or Livescope you might wanna looked elsewhere.

2011 Legend Alpha 211 DCX
250 Mercury Pro XS- 25p Tempest B&B’d by Josh at Steve’s Custom props
36v Motorguide Xi5 connected to
Lowrance HDS 9 Gen 2
Humminbird Solix 10 CHIRP MSI G2, Onix 10
Re: which trolling motor to buy?t [Re: hardknocks] #13673687 08/19/20 07:04 PM
D
dk2429 Online Content
Extreme Angler
Online Content
Extreme Angler
D
MotorGuide.

Have had nothing but issues out of 3 Minn Kotas. Clapped out junk

Last edited by dk2429; 08/19/20 07:04 PM.

Majek 22 Extreme/225 Optimax Pro XS hauled by a 2500HD Duramax

Re: which trolling motor to buy?t [Re: ezbassin] #13673986 08/19/20 11:50 PM
L
Lone_Wolf Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
L
Originally Posted by ezbassin
Originally Posted by rut-roe
Originally Posted by Lone_Wolf
I really want one of the motorguide tour pro's when they come out

Yeah that’s what I’m waiting on too.

LOL go for it.

Motorguide has been lagging behind the others for years and always will.

I like the durability the tour models had, the X5 were junk, this new one looks heavier duty again. I've had issues with the durability of MK, the new Garmin trollers are too big, massive reall, the Ghost had my interest until I saw the price cry

Re: which trolling motor to buy?t [Re: hardknocks] #13674064 08/20/20 12:52 AM
B
Bill Durham Online Content
Pro Angler
Online Content
Pro Angler
B
Originally Posted by hardknocks
Buying a new boat and wondering which trolling motor to put on it. MinnKota i pilot or ?
Motor guide xi3 or xi5? want wireless remote
thanks,

I had a MG Great White 80lb on my center console flats boat and came to the realizaton that in order to fish in Texas, I had to have spot lock. Since I have had good luck with my GW, I went with the Xi5.. 80lb and I have mixed feelings about the Xi5. The anchor function is great. It has held me in place in 20mph wind no problemo! I have had no issues with battery draw being excessive. Anchor seems to use less battery than I thought it would..especially if the wind isn't blowing like a banshee. The big "but" for me is the pedal. The first one that I had had a problem and failed. Since I had the lanyard that works really well, I was ok with that for a while, but went through the process and got the pedal replaced under warranty. The problem with the pedal is the process isn't linear when you press the pedal. Some times the motor will turn slowly and other times with the same pressure on the pedal, it will whip around 270 degrees before I can get my foot off the pedal. Before the first pedal died, it was exactly the same way. Also... the way that the Xi5 is built, there is no rope to raise and lower the motor. I bought my motor from Shut Up and Fish, and he advised me to buy a piece that is made for a bicycle handle to attach to the head of the motor to have something to grab to deploy the motor. It was money well spent. The Xi5 is much cheaper than an Ultrex. Fishing is a total hobby for me, my boat is not my office. The Xi5, with all of the quirks is the best TM that I could afford, and it has been a good investment for me. The anchor works great.. which is why I bought it. I'm not a big bank beater, so sitting on off shore structure is what I like to do.. its great for that!

Re: which trolling motor to buy?t [Re: Bill Durham] #13674436 08/20/20 02:11 PM
J
JAlfred Offline
Angler
Angler
J
Originally Posted by Bill Durham
Buying a new boat and wondering which trolling motor to put on it. MinnKota i pilot or ?
thanks,

I had a MG Great White 80lb on my center console flats boat and came to the realizaton that in order to fish in Texas, I had to have spot lock. Since I have had good luck with my GW, I went with the Xi5.. 80lb and I have mixed feelings about the Xi5. The anchor function is great. It has held me in place in 20mph wind no problemo! I have had no issues with battery draw being excessive. Anchor seems to use less battery than I thought it would..especially if the wind isn't blowing like a banshee. The big "but" for me is the pedal. The first one that I had had a problem and failed. Since I had the lanyard that works really well, I was ok with that for a while, but went through the process and got the pedal replaced under warranty. The problem with the pedal is the process isn't linear when you press the pedal. Some times the motor will turn slowly and other times with the same pressure on the pedal, it will whip around 270 degrees before I can get my foot off the pedal. Before the first pedal died, it was exactly the same way. Also... the way that the Xi5 is built, there is no rope to raise and lower the motor. I bought my motor from Shut Up and Fish, and he advised me to buy a piece that is made for a bicycle handle to attach to the head of the motor to have something to grab to deploy the motor. It was money well spent. The Xi5 is much cheaper than an Ultrex. Fishing is a total hobby for me, my boat is not my office. The Xi5, with all of the quirks is the best TM that I could afford, and it has been a good investment for me. The anchor works great.. which is why I bought it. I'm not a big bank beater, so sitting on off shore structure is what I like to do.. its great for that!

I have the same deployment issue with my Xi3. I hope you will provide a bit more information about the way you addressed this. Description? Where purchased? Thanks--

Re: which trolling motor to buy?t [Re: JAlfred] #13674502 08/20/20 02:55 PM
tmd11111 Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
Originally Posted by JAlfred
thanks,

I have the same deployment issue with my Xi3. I hope you will provide a bit more information about the way you addressed this. Description? Where purchased? Thanks--

Cannondale Steering Stem

Their getting harder to find. I picked up a new one 3 years ago for like $15. Just clamp it on the shaft right below the head. Mine is actually a perfect length to touch the deck and support the shaft while stowed.

Re: which trolling motor to buy?t [Re: hardknocks] #13675283 08/21/20 03:53 AM
B
Bill Durham Online Content
Pro Angler
Online Content
Pro Angler
B
I bought my handle on ebay as well. If you are near a bicycle shop they might have one. Its about the best option for deploying for that motor as they didn't provide a handle at all.. kinda surprising actually. Its a really strong TM, very quiet, and other than the quirks.. is great!

BD

Re: which trolling motor to buy?t [Re: hardknocks] #13675764 08/21/20 05:15 PM
D
DJB Online Content
TFF Team Angler
Online Content
TFF Team Angler
D
I would recommend the ulterra if you want to use remote. My foot control is still wrapped in plastic in a storage box for emergency use. The spotlock is great but I fish a very grassy lake and the ability to raise and lower the tm by remote is fantastic. Also remote stow and deploy is great for my bad back. Just remember to turn on the power before you launch it off the trailer!!. Dont ask how I know this. Ha.

Re: which trolling motor to buy?t [Re: tmd11111] #13675896 08/21/20 06:45 PM
J
JAlfred Offline
Angler
Angler
J
Originally Posted by tmd11111
Originally Posted by JAlfred
thanks,

Cannondale Steering Stem

Their getting harder to find. I picked up a new one 3 years ago for like $15. Just clamp it on the shaft right below the head. Mine is actually a perfect length to touch the deck and support the shaft while stowed.

Thanks for the info. Now that I have a description, I can begin looking.

Re: which trolling motor to buy?t [Re: hardknocks] #13676590 08/22/20 12:32 PM
horseplaydvm Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
I didn’t think anyone could make a better trolling motor than the MK Ultrex. But Garmin did. Check it out, you will be amazed!

[Linked Image]
Gone Fishing
B.A.S. 6/5/47-6/6/12
C.W.S. 9/29/72- 10/17/23
Re: which trolling motor to buy?t [Re: hardknocks] #13676684 08/22/20 02:09 PM
603Country Online Content
Pro Angler
Online Content
Pro Angler
I’m happy with the Ultrex, and I really like the foot pedal. Very smooth and predictable.

Re: which trolling motor to buy?t [Re: hardknocks] #13676687 08/22/20 02:11 PM
Paul - Lake Fork Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
Probably gonna get joked about..

Had a Xi5 on my Legend Guide Boat best equipment I have came across made fishing and helping others Fish so easy. Sold that boat now I have a BassCat it got a Xi5 installed a few weeks ago, went out a few days ago a pre-recorded 4 trails abot 300-400 yards a piece. Motor is the quietest trolling motor I have personally ever heard and the spotlock is so accurate. Have yet to use the foot pedal in the 3 years I have had one when guiding.. usually was at the console or in back when operating. Over 250+ trips only problem was a gps module went out Motorguide warranted it and was down 1 day. Cons: adding a external transducer.. 2D was ok with me up front.
Found it online for $1591..
Just my 2cents

In order to catch Big Fish..Sometimes you gotta Suffer.

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide