Print Thread
Upgrades worth the time! #13671445 08/17/20 09:32 PM
J
jdr1tekcor Offline OP
Green Horn
OP Offline
Green Horn
J
Finished another engine cowl refinish on Saturday.

Steps include:
1) Remove any old engine decals (only if you plan to replace with new ones)
2) Thoroughly scrub cowl, then dry with lint-free cloth.
3) Gently wet sand each individual scuff/scratch with 3000 grit sanding pad (only straight horizontal or vertical movements). Slowly repeat until scuff is gone.
4) Polish with an orbital polisher using Presta Ultra Polish (or Meguiar's Ultimate Compound). Again, straight horizontal or vertical lines only. Careful not to penetrate clear-coat.
5) Finish with an orbital polisher using 3M Scratch Remover fine finishing cream.
6) Apply any carnuba wax of your choice. Let dry 20 mins, then clean thoroughly with a lint-free cloth.
7) Carefully apply new decals and feather out any air bubbles with a firm squeegee.

A little time consuming, but this should give you that "Brand-New" finish on your engine cowl. Contact me at my email address if you'd like a quote to have your cowl refinished.

Next Upgrade project I'll detail includes a multi-battery volt meter added to the console cluster. Will post those details soon.

Thanks!
Jeff
jdr1tekcor@gmail.com

Attached Files IMG_4473.JPGIMG_4481.JPGIMG_4485.JPG
Re: Upgrades worth the time! [Re: jdr1tekcor] #13671666 08/18/20 12:46 AM
S
SteezMacQueen Online Happy
TFF Guru
Online Happy
TFF Guru
S
Looks great! Unfortunately, this would just make the rest of my motor look even worse. Haha.

Eat. Sleep. Fish.
Re: Upgrades worth the time! [Re: SteezMacQueen] #13674954 08/20/20 10:14 PM
J
jdr1tekcor Offline OP
Green Horn
OP Offline
Green Horn
J
For most people, it's a nice feature to sit at the console and know the exact charge level of each of your batteries (including cranking and TM batteries). Avoid having to crawl back into the battery compartment and check each battery with a hand meter.

Several options of volt-meter exist (both analog and digital) so just pick one that best fits your needs. In my case, I like the analog gauge for my 3 batteries.
Here's the steps to install the volt-meter on the console:

1) Purchase a volt-meter gauge that best fits your needs (3-battery or 4-battery in most cases) with a momentary-on switch to show the voltage for each battery. For example, I used an On-Off-On Momentary Switch for my 2 TM motors then a separate single Momentary-On switch for my cranking battery. Some gauges include a selector wheel for up to 4 batteries.
2) Determine the target location on the console (confirm that there is space for the backside of the gauge on the underside of the console)
3) Determine the connection point to each of the batteries (i.e. in some cases, you can connect to cranking battery line and TM battery lines up near the console)
4) If you determine that you need to run dedicated lines back to any battery, make sure you use at least 20 Gauge well-insulated wiring with an in-line fuse for the positive terminal. If dedicated lines are used, then label each one (and tape off the ends) and thread those through your hull and back up to the console (you can usually follow the same path as the factory wiring for the cranking battery). Use pull-ties to secure the lines up and out of the way of all storage compartments.
5) Create a paper template for the exact size opening that you'll need to cut into the console for the gauge. Trace that template onto the console, drill a starter hole then use a reciprocating saw to cut the exact opening by following the traced template track.
6) Pre-fit the gauge into the opening and make sure it is a clean fit. Also, while the gauge is in the opening, mark the points where screw/bolt holes need to be drilled to secure the gauge. Pre-drill those holes and pre-fit the gauge into the opening with the bolts/screws that you plan to use. Make sure this is all good-to-go before attaching the battery wires to the gauge.
7) Once the opening has been made and the gauge has been pre-fit, bring the wires (for all batteries) through the hole and connect to the gauge. Test each momentary-on switch to make sure each battery is correctly showing a charge.
8) I recommend utilizing an electrical box insulation gasket on the inside edge of the gauge so that it fits snugly against the console and keeps the gauge internals waterproof.
9) Fit the gauge into the opening and hand-tighten all bolts. Cycle through all batteries on the gauge and make sure each one is registering a proper voltage, then do a final tightening of all bolts. Snug up all wiring underneath the console using pull-ties as necessary.

I've posted a pic of my project below (I can email the video if needed). Let me know if you guys have questions or need help with your installs.

Thanks,
Jeff
email: jdr1tekcor@gmail.com

Attached Files Screen Shot 2020-08-20 at 5.13.15 PM.pngScreen Shot 2020-08-20 at 9.09.58 PM.pngScreen Shot 2020-08-20 at 9.10.17 PM.pngScreen Shot 2020-08-20 at 9.10.49 PM.png
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide