Forums59
Topics1,037,850
Posts13,935,532
Members144,150
Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Bank fishemen and Dad tired of getting me and my son skunked :( #13667368 08/14/20 04:49 AM
C
Chaycemdown Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
C
I have fished Benbrook, Pat Cleburne, Bailey lake and Alvarado so far and am 0/4... Dont have a cast net yet so ive tried worms, chicken livers, hot dogs, and this weekend have 1-2in cubes of chicken breast that i have in strawberry jello and garlic powder since Wednesday. Ive watched hours and hours of Youtube videos and am still struggling. Im going to get some smaller hooks tomorrow since ive been using 5/0-6/0 circles hooks. Im using a 3oz in line sinker, bead to swivel on 30# braid with 12#-50# (depending) mono and a 6-18" leader. I live in Crowley and can usually only get 1-2 fishing sessions in a week. Usually 1 of those we go for 5+hrs. Ive gone as early as 3am to hit these spots and plan on trying lake Alvarado tomorrow night since i had the most bites there last week out of any of the above and staying at least till midnight. I dont want to take anyones honey holes or anything just would like to catch a few eater size catfish for me the wife and kids to enjoy. I also dont mind particularly to drive but want to exhaust the places close to me before i drive 2 hrs to Tawak or Texoma and get skunked there too lol. Sorry for the long post but wanted to give as much info as possible.Help a brother out.... Please

Attached Files 20200801_063547.jpg20200808_064939.jpg20200808_074156.jpg
Wet Rooster Jigs Fishing Super Store
Re: Bank fishemen and Dad tired of getting me and my son skunked :( [Re: Chaycemdown] #13667387 08/14/20 06:59 AM
D
Doc1986 Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
D
Welcome to the forum! Im not trying to be discouraging but Summer fishing in Texas is rough especially when you're tied to the bank and the lack of rain is not helping any and COVID. If you look at most of the threads on this forum the guys with boats and electronics are having a difficult time as well. I was born and raised in Michigan fishing on the Great Lakes and have been in Texas since 2008 and it is frustrating. As soon as the temps start to drop and we get some consistent rain the fishing will pick up! Keep at it and it will pay off and as they say "A bad day of fishing is better than a good day of work"

Re: Bank fishemen and Dad tired of getting me and my son skunked :( [Re: Chaycemdown] #13667392 08/14/20 07:54 AM
N
Nickbyrd Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
N
Alvarado has fish it’s just a matter of how much time you got . [Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Re: Bank fishemen and Dad tired of getting me and my son skunked :( [Re: Chaycemdown] #13667412 08/14/20 10:39 AM
banker-always fishing Online Content
Pumpkin Head
Online Content
Pumpkin Head
Awesome post and some Lifetime Memories. thumb

[Linked Image][Linked Image]

IGFA World Record Rio Grande Cichlid. Lake Dunlap.

John 3:16

Sinner's Prayer. God forgive me a sinner. I accept Jesus Christ as my Savior !
Re: Bank fishemen and Dad tired of getting me and my son skunked :( [Re: Chaycemdown] #13667487 08/14/20 12:42 PM
C
Chaycemdown Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
C
Thanks for the encouragement guys. Took today off so even though its gonna be so gd hot today I may try to sneak in a little pre fishing before taking my boy out. We usually swap with my kids and I take 1 out a week so they get some solo time with Dad when im off. Once it cools off I plan on taking them camping as well. They are 1st and 3rd grade this year and with the Covid [censored] we are homeschooling this year so I try to make sure we do as many activities as possible.

Re: Bank fishemen and Dad tired of getting me and my son skunked :( [Re: Chaycemdown] #13667532 08/14/20 01:20 PM
O
Osbornfishing Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
O
welcome At this time of the year you need to find deep water. If you are fishing shallow flats you probably will not catch much until it gets cooler. I would try Baja Beach near the dam on Benbrook. You have to get an annual permit from the city, but there is good access to deep water from the bank. I have also had good luck at small park ponds during the summer. You can search the Texas Parks and Wildlife site for community ponds to find them. Many of these are stocked regularly and provide good action. Finally, learn to chum. I carry range cubes in my van all the time and throw out a few pounds every time I leave a good fishing lactation. If you chum 3 days in a row and don’t catch anything at that location, the condition are not good, at least at that time of year. Good luck and let us know how you do.

Re: Bank fishemen and Dad tired of getting me and my son skunked :( [Re: Chaycemdown] #13667569 08/14/20 01:50 PM
🍀El Gato Azul🍀 Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
Stay after em Dad! Y’all will get em figured out soon. If your able to fish the same area 2 times a week then get you some range cubes and start chumming em in. Catfish train easily. Go chum your area 3-4 days in a row before you go and there should be some fish hangIng around when you get there. Chum, chum, chum! Switch to a prepared bait like stubbys, sureshot, CJ’s, or DK. ...You’ll want to switch your rig to a slip cork with a treble hook. Plenty of YouTube videos to show you how to rig and how to bait em in. If there aren’t any fish in your baited area after 4 days of chumming then your in the wrong area. There are a ton of guys on here that will be willing to help you get things moving in the right direction if you ask the right questions. Good luck and post those pics when you get into em! welcome

There is a fine line between fishing and floating around like an idiot!!
texas Check out out my YouTube channel El Gato Azul TV texas
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCg0aV-uOxzxKxeqFFfREzKg
⚓️⚓️⚓️⚓️ Home of little boys holding big catfish! ⚓️⚓️⚓️⚓️
Re: Bank fishemen and Dad tired of getting me and my son skunked :( [Re: Chaycemdown] #13667585 08/14/20 02:04 PM
JJ4MEL Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
Take the kids out to a community pond with some worms and a small hook under a bobber. Catch about 10 bluegill and put them on ice. Now you have fresh cut bait for blues and without using a cast net.

The advice from El Gato Azul above is also great advice. I haven't used range cubes yet, but I have used rabbit food to chum in carp and channel cats.

Re: Bank fishemen and Dad tired of getting me and my son skunked :( [Re: Chaycemdown] #13667616 08/14/20 02:37 PM
C
Chaycemdown Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
C
Thanks everyone. I will have to give that slip bobber rig a try Azul. Thanks for the tips. JJ i will definitely try that. We usually catch and release our blue gills but may have to give that a try too bc we have a killer sunfish and bluegill spot. Osborne thanks for the welcome! I had all but given up on Benbrook. Always see a ton of carp there but dont try to go for them (at least not yet lol). I will look into that spot as anywhere else ive tried on benbrook is overrun with weeds and extremely shallow. We hit our local ponds of course in this area but with Covid and it being pretty populated they always seem a little over pressured. Weve gone to Greenbriar a couple times over the past year and both of those were skunks. Im just now learning there stocking schedule and may give them another try when they resume next month. Im just lucky my kids are so sweet and just love spending the time out there lol they always say it doesnt even matter if they catch anything they just like exploring with Dad. Im definitely going to give chumming a try since we do have so many local bodies of water and see how that helps out. We have a pet rabbit so that seems like an easisly accessible chum. Thanks again everyone and keep em coming!

Re: Bank fishemen and Dad tired of getting me and my son skunked :( [Re: Chaycemdown] #13667622 08/14/20 02:43 PM
JJ4MEL Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
If you have a spot for carp, get the kids on those. Even keep one for cut bait. Cats love cut carp!! My kids are spoiled on catching carp these days since the cats are slow. Just some corn on a small hook will get you in the action and the kids will be hooked reeling in some monsters!!

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Re: Bank fishemen and Dad tired of getting me and my son skunked :( [Re: Chaycemdown] #13667634 08/14/20 02:49 PM
C
Chaycemdown Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
C
Nice idea! Ive always heard they were very hook and line shy so ive just avoided targeting them thus far if they are more difficult to fish for. I mainly was bass fishing my whole life but for the kids i felt that having a bobber or a catfish setup would be best. Will have to do some research on targeting carp and give that a try now lol. Thanks for the tip

Re: Bank fishemen and Dad tired of getting me and my son skunked :( [Re: Chaycemdown] #13667640 08/14/20 02:53 PM
S
steveiam Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
S
Welcome to the TFF!
Good on you for getting out with the kids-
I’ve caught a lot of fish but I still get skunked sometimes-
There is some Great advice above, I bet something you have seen will help you-
Only thing I’ll add is you had mentioned a cast net, in my catfish journey for me when I used all the “usual”, if there is such a thing, catfish baits it increased my chances of catching a fish, but usually it was channel cats.
Learning to use a cast net changed the kind of fish I caught and many times increased the size of those fish.
The fish you are targeting are used to eating what is already in the water you are fishing, presenting bait they are familiar with either cut or whole is what a lot of on here do-
There are many other baits that absolutely will catch fish, but I have had more consistent catches using what I caught from the water I was fishing-
One other plus if you are fishing with young ones many of my trips the cast net and the possibilities each time you throw that cast net has been the highlight for those kids-
If you don’t know already, you can’t use “game fish” for bait, but you may catch shad, carp, drum, and sunfish, all can be excellent bait, just throw any crappie or bass back after the young one see’s it, or maybe let them return the fish, that’s sometimes fun.
That being said, I’ve caught catfish on a 14 in snake, chicken thighs (raw no flavor), Carl or buffalo bought from an ethnic grocery store, many many choices out there, you may try at least one pole set up using one of the unconventional baits and use others for more traditional baits-

There are baits that have worked a lot of times, baits that worked every once and a while, and baits that may work when all the regular baits are not working-
Fishing can be a journey that has many benefits along the way that has little to do with actually watching fish, especially when you have young ones to go on that journey with-
Best of luck to you and the family, please let us know how it goes, each trip you should learn something that increases your chances of being successful the next time-
Continue to reach out for help, many of us enjoy watching the journey also, and maybe someone here can help sometimes-

Last edited by steveiam; 08/14/20 02:55 PM.

What has happed to you does not define who you are-

HOW you react to what happens to you DOES!
Re: Bank fishemen and Dad tired of getting me and my son skunked :( [Re: Chaycemdown] #13667662 08/14/20 03:10 PM
C
Chaycemdown Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
C
Thanks alot Stevie. I will definitely keep that in mind, and make sure I keep you all informed on our jouney. Im hoping next year to beable to get a truck and then I can start looking for a boat but for now we are just gonna do our best with whats available and try to really learn these spots near us.

Re: Bank fishemen and Dad tired of getting me and my son skunked :( [Re: Chaycemdown] #13667679 08/14/20 03:27 PM
S
steveiam Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
S
Originally Posted by Chaycemdown
Thanks alot Stevie. I will definitely keep that in mind, and make sure I keep you all informed on our jouney. Im hoping next year to beable to get a truck and then I can start looking for a boat but for now we are just gonna do our best with whats available and try to really learn these spots near us.

Plenty of enjoyment in bank fishing too, those sunfish you spoke of earlier make great cut bait, many fish have been caught using only the head of a perch, it’s one of my favorite baits-
I still bank fish for carp also, jjhamel is right about them, just a small hook, a can of corn, or a bag of frozen corn, throw out some for chum, and throw your line in with that chum, it can be a blast for the young ones and yourself!

What has happed to you does not define who you are-

HOW you react to what happens to you DOES!
Re: Bank fishemen and Dad tired of getting me and my son skunked :( [Re: Chaycemdown] #13667756 08/14/20 04:24 PM
C
Chaycemdown Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
C
Benbrook is where ive seen the most carp so i may have to take the kiddos out there and check it out soon.

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide