Forums59
Topics1,037,800
Posts13,934,729
Members144,150
Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: Change Lake Athens to a fee to fish lake? [Re: BWL Coast] #13663041 08/10/20 06:57 PM
S
Shaky Horn Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
S
I live on the lake and am incentivized to have fewer boats, yet feel that restricting access is a bad thing. Public water is just that. If I wanted a private like community then I could have bought at Kiowa or Hideaway.

Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: Change Lake Athens to a fee to fish lake? [Re: BWL Coast] #13663055 08/10/20 07:05 PM
D
Diaudioman Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
D
I was also surveyed there by the TPWD about 2 weeks ago.

Re: Change Lake Athens to a fee to fish lake? [Re: RedRaider3933] #13663060 08/10/20 07:08 PM
Tjbev13 Offline
Angler
Angler
Originally Posted by RedRaider3933
Originally Posted by harvey walker
I can understand how the home owners feel. Our poor Lake Waco is almost the same way. You work all week then on the weekend you go to the lake and the parking lot is full of boat from the Metro-plex. Every inch of the water is being fished. This is why I don't even go on the weekend any more, and most of the time it takes days for the fishing to come back. And yes they don't add to the local economy.

I find it hard to believe metro-plex anglers are really chomping at the bit to go fish Lake Waco.

Hahahahahaha "lets go to Waco" -Said no one EVER!!! roflmao

Re: Change Lake Athens to a fee to fish lake? [Re: SteezMacQueen] #13663070 08/10/20 07:15 PM
S
SoonerDG Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
S
Originally Posted by SteezMacQueen
Originally Posted by Outdoordude
I think it's fair to chip in a little to help fund ramp and parking lot maintenance, maybe even help build a nice dock and a restroom. It just can't be more than a couple-few bucks per visit or like a $20ish annual.

My take on it is along these lines as well. I’m all for the facilities being funded by the users, just make it realistic and show improvements that are being funded as well.

A REAL bathroom would be nice, as well as a little better lighting. Maybe more parking so my truck and trailer doesn’t get muddy if I’m number 15 in line that day.

Isn't there additional parking? Or is this off limits? I'm asking seriously as I don't know for sure.

[Linked Image]

"Life is a matter of luck and the odds of success are in no way enhanced by extreme caution." - Erich Topp, German U-boat Commander, 1943.

When in doubt, set the hook.
Re: Change Lake Athens to a fee to fish lake? [Re: harvey walker] #13663073 08/10/20 07:16 PM
K
krthomas2 Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
K
I can understand how the home owners feel. Our poor Lake Waco is almost the same way. You work all week then on the weekend you go to the lake and the parking lot is full of boat from the Metro-plex. Every inch of the water is being fished. This is why I don't even go on the weekend any more, and most of the time it takes days for the fishing to come back. And yes they don't add to the local economy.

LOL! sounds like Lake Welsh

Re: Change Lake Athens to a fee to fish lake? [Re: BWL Coast] #13663075 08/10/20 07:17 PM
banker-always fishing Offline
Pumpkin Head
Pumpkin Head
popcorn2

[Linked Image][Linked Image]

IGFA World Record Rio Grande Cichlid. Lake Dunlap.

John 3:16

Sinner's Prayer. God forgive me a sinner. I accept Jesus Christ as my Savior !
Re: Change Lake Athens to a fee to fish lake? [Re: harvey walker] #13663077 08/10/20 07:19 PM
T
Tx Tree Grower Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
T

Most of those other people work all week to. They have just as much right to the PUBLIC WATER as you do. We all get frustrated fishing pressured water at times, but the solution to that problem is not to start restricting access to public water. Lots of states are trying just that, and it is turning into a disaster. This type of lazy fisheries management is a snow ball headed for hell.

As to the homeowners....you know when you buy property on a public lake there is going to be traffic. Either accept that or sell the property. It's part of owning lake property. Don't like it? Go buy you a ranch and build your own lake.

Re: Change Lake Athens to a fee to fish lake? [Re: BWL Coast] #13663090 08/10/20 07:36 PM
Mark Perry Offline
Super Freak
Super Freak
Homeowners on a public complaining about other people fishing "their" lake is like buying a house next to a freeway then complaining other people are driving on it

Its a public resource.

Re: Change Lake Athens to a fee to fish lake? [Re: BWL Coast] #13663106 08/10/20 07:47 PM
G
grumpyoldman Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
G
I'm really failing to see what their problems are. Outside of the spawn, fishing traffic really isn't that bad. Traffic overall is bad in the summer because every single person that lives on this lake has a ski boat and runs in circles from 6:45 AM until dark every day. It just started 2 months earlier this year because of the rona. I would bet the majority of traffic on that lake every single day including tournament days is the property owners. If they want traffic to return to historical levels, just ban wake enhancement...

I'm sure there are things the homeowners could do to limit tournaments. I'd hope TPWD would entertain a reason to put a 16 inch maximum on Athens.

We could also talk about why TPWD has failed to produce this type of fishery on so many of our other lakes but that's a different topic.

Re: Change Lake Athens to a fee to fish lake? [Re: harvey walker] #13663168 08/10/20 08:13 PM
361V Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
Respect your opinion but also respectfully I think comparing “rights” between a lake owned(and managed by) the Army Corps of Engineers and a lake owned by the local water municipality(Athens Municipal Water District) as a bad comparison. True “apples to oranges”. Prolly just me.

Re: Change Lake Athens to a fee to fish lake? [Re: grumpyoldman] #13663176 08/10/20 08:17 PM
361V Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
Originally Posted by grumpyoldman
I'm sure there are things the homeowners could do to limit tournaments. I'd hope TPWD would entertain a reason to put a 16 inch maximum on Athens.

And “YEP” to this if you believe outsider tournaments are have some negative effect on fish populations. I personally don’t think they are.

Re: Change Lake Athens to a fee to fish lake? [Re: SoonerDG] #13663242 08/10/20 09:00 PM
F
Frank the Tank Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
F
Originally Posted by SoonerDG
Originally Posted by SteezMacQueen
Originally Posted by Outdoordude
I think it's fair to chip in a little to help fund ramp and parking lot maintenance, maybe even help build a nice dock and a restroom. It just can't be more than a couple-few bucks per visit or like a $20ish annual.

My take on it is along these lines as well. I’m all for the facilities being funded by the users, just make it realistic and show improvements that are being funded as well.

A REAL bathroom would be nice, as well as a little better lighting. Maybe more parking so my truck and trailer doesn’t get muddy if I’m number 15 in line that day.

Isn't there additional parking? Or is this off limits? I'm asking seriously as I don't know for sure.

[Linked Image]

It's pretty much used very weekend between May and September

Jesus loves all of us
Re: Change Lake Athens to a fee to fish lake? [Re: BWL Coast] #13663308 08/10/20 09:34 PM
J
jfdawson Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
J
a couple of obvious points regarding this...

1. MLF and having Ott Defoe catching 25+ lbs in a short window got a lot of Athen's attn.
2. Covid is causing all our lakes to be super crowded. Just check the ramps at Texoma, Lewisville, Ray Roberts, Eagle Mountain, Bob Sandlin, Cypress , etc.They are completely packed even on Weekdays.
* My club officers are now having to make adjustments just to accommodate ramp parking and weigh In's where we used to enjoy little to no traffic.
3. The article mentions not contributing to the local Athen's economy... When my club did fish Athen's in years past - We stayed at the local motel, ate at Whataburger, bought gas at the Walmart, etc.. and probably would spend more if they had more access to gas stations and Food places on the loop.

I personally love fishing Athens.. used to be one of my favorite lakes. Just like Lake Bonham, I would pay the annual fee if that's what they went to, but I think if it's public waters and the state is providing services, it should be FREE.

Re: Change Lake Athens to a fee to fish lake? [Re: BWL Coast] #13663313 08/10/20 09:37 PM
T
Txduckhunter Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
T
So.,,,, if the HOA gets their way and it becomes exclusive - does this mean that they will compensate the state for the fish that TPW has stocked there? Perhaps a small check to every "non-local" that has fished there and has purchased a license?

I have a lake house on Fork. Everyone knows that Fork is crowded, perhaps I can whine and get it closed to non homeowners.....
Public lake, public access...

Re: Change Lake Athens to a fee to fish lake? [Re: BWL Coast] #13663321 08/10/20 09:42 PM
ssmith Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
oh boy paying more fees is like paying for the things we have already paid for.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide