Forums59
Topics1,038,951
Posts13,956,303
Members144,183
Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: State Water red snapper question [Re: The Zen Master] #13656602 08/04/20 10:39 PM
T
The Zen Master Offline OP
Green Horn
OP Offline
Green Horn
T
Will do!

Re: State Water red snapper question [Re: The Zen Master] #13659855 08/07/20 07:05 PM
T
Green Horn
OP Offline
Green Horn
T
Try to buy less than 300-yards of 50-lb mono! laugh

Re: State Water red snapper question [Re: The Zen Master] #13661327 08/09/20 12:59 PM
T
Green Horn
OP Offline
Green Horn
T
50-lb test mono is in the mail!

Any advise on snapper/bottom rigs?

Last edited by The Zen Master; 08/09/20 01:00 PM.
Re: State Water red snapper question [Re: The Zen Master] #13661596 08/09/20 04:28 PM
lite-liner Offline
Capt. CUDA
Capt. CUDA
easy. simple knocker rig. mono top shot to quality swivel. add whatever weight it takes to get down to the fish (1oz-16oz) as an egg sinker above the swivel. to lead of 50-60# flourocarbon to 4/o Circle hook. bait of your choice.
snapper are not line shy.

Last edited by lite-liner; 08/09/20 04:31 PM.

[Linked Image]
Re: State Water red snapper question [Re: The Zen Master] #13661778 08/09/20 07:52 PM
C
Curt0407 Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
C
[Linked Image]

My last trip out I saw how easy and effective a simple knocker rig was.

Re: State Water red snapper question [Re: lite-liner] #13661922 08/09/20 09:36 PM
T
Green Horn
OP Offline
Green Horn
T
Originally Posted by lite-liner
easy. simple knocker rig. mono top shot to quality swivel. add whatever weight it takes to get down to the fish (1oz-16oz) as an egg sinker above the swivel. to lead of 50-60# flourocarbon to 4/o Circle hook. bait of your choice.

I have a medium-heavy boat rod rated for 15 to 25-lb test - its an old graphite rod from pre-braid days, but is a decent rod. I have a Penn Squall 20LW with 450-yards of 50-lb Power Pro braid and, 50-lb Ande monofilament will be here tomorrow for my top shot. I'm not sure that the rod will handle 16-oz of lead - and a fish?

I think I understand a knocker rig except for the sinker - does the sinker slide to the hook, or sinker above swivel on the top shot?

Lastly, given the limitations of this rod and reel, shouldn't I step the leader down some - say 30-lb maybe? - so I have something to break off if I get hung up?

I've never bottom fished the Gulf so go easy! smile

Thank you

Re: State Water red snapper question [Re: lite-liner] #13662374 08/10/20 03:09 AM
T
Green Horn
OP Offline
Green Horn
T
Originally Posted by lite-liner

EDIT

OK saw something that describes your instructions perfectly.

Re: State Water red snapper question [Re: The Zen Master] #13662516 08/10/20 12:12 PM
T
tunatamer Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
T
A true "knocker" rig actually has the sinker sitting down on the hook. The setup Brian described is more like a "Carolina" rig. But either way I doubt seriously you will be using 16 oz sinkers. Take some egg sinkers in varied weights from 4oz - 8 oz and determine which to use based on the amount of current present.

I rarely use anything but bucktail jigs for snappers. From 2 oz to 4 oz.

[Linked Image]

Attached Files knocker.png

"still" awesum
Re: State Water red snapper question [Re: The Zen Master] #13662537 08/10/20 12:46 PM
K
Keith Stone! Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
K
"Knocker rig" can have some variants depending on who is using the term. Sometimes the knocker rig is like above where the sinker can slide to the hook and sometimes people add crimps and beads to keep the sinker from sliding all the way to the hook. The big difference between a knocker and a carolina rig is that the weight is between the hook and swivel that you attach to the mainline on a knocker rig vs the weight being above the swivel on the mainline for a carolina.....at least that is my interpretation and understanding.

Re: State Water red snapper question [Re: The Zen Master] #13662665 08/10/20 02:51 PM
T
Green Horn
OP Offline
Green Horn
T
I am looking for some 2 to 4-oz buck tails! Was my #1 favorite way of fishing as a kid back east! Those things work!

Re: State Water red snapper question [Re: The Zen Master] #13665217 08/12/20 02:02 PM
T
Green Horn
OP Offline
Green Horn
T
I think plans are changing, gentlemen.

I will just buy some 10-day old red snapper with their eyes faded and sunken in at HEB...

Thanks for all of your help!

Re: State Water red snapper question [Re: The Zen Master] #13666547 08/13/20 03:35 PM
T
Green Horn
OP Offline
Green Horn
T
Sorry for being upset. The folks on the party boat phones have different stories than some info that was sent to me via pm.

I have cancer, and I have no time for BS - from anyone - I just want to catch a few fish to eat, and, sorry I cannot afford to make someone's boat-payment for the privilege. Spoke to party boat folks in Galveston - they were MUCH nicer than the folks I spoke to in Port Aransas - period.

Same drive-time to either place - I'll take the "lower quality fish opportunity" and nicer people - any day of the year.

Threes and Eights

Re: State Water red snapper question [Re: The Zen Master] #13666680 08/13/20 06:08 PM
HitEmTrue Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
Zen Master, hope you get to go and catch some fish. I've read the Yelp reviews of the Port A company before, and I haven't been tempted to get on one of their boats.

Re: State Water red snapper question [Re: HitEmTrue] #13666924 08/13/20 09:50 PM
T
Green Horn
OP Offline
Green Horn
T
Originally Posted by HitEmTrue
Zen Master, hope you get to go and catch some fish. I've read the Yelp reviews of the Port A company before, and I haven't been tempted to get on one of their boats.

Thank you sir.

I fished and grew-up in:

NYC (bluefish, stripers, weakfish, fluke, flounder (yes, there's a difference) from Atlantic City to Montauk)
fished, worked on a fishing boat, and lived in Hawaii (wahoo, mahimahi, large skipjack, schoolie-bigeye tuna, and papio lb-for-lb the hardest fighting fish on Earth - if it grew to 100-lbs it would crawl out of the water and kill you for pissing it off) also got a 3-year education in sushi
fished and lived in Seattle (chinook salmon, silver salmon (my favorite), and rock fish - and the best Chinese food I ever had including China Town NYC)
fished and lived in AZ (6-1/2 lb largemouth on sage 5-weight from crystal clear shad-filled Theodore Roosevelt Lake - that fish was deeelicious) while living in AZ (4) 5-day long-range fishing trips out of Sand Diego (yellowfin tuna, mahimahi, yellowtail) many more 2 and 3-day trips, had my own Penn International 50Wide and Seeker stand up rod, and now
Texas.

I know what fresh fish is and I want some, but I ain't showing fealty to anyone to get it.

My favorite fish to eat is Saba (mackerel sushi), Uni (sea urchin roe), Ama-ebi (raw sweet shrimp and the head deep fried), Maguro (bluefin tuna), Long Tail Red Snapper (Hawaii), and grilled king mackerel steaks.

I've learned something new every place I fished, and taught a few people a few things along the way.

I've never fished for a trophy - ever - I fish because I love the art of fishing and because I love fresh seafood, and 90% of people do not even know what fresh seafood really is (gutted immediately then (filleted and) brine/iced within 1-hour of catching).

My opinion - the folks in Port Aransas are booked solid every day and don't need no stinkin' new guys, and I do not like being talked to like this is the first day I ever thought of goin fishin...

No disrespect to anyone, but I give as good as I get.

Plus I can hit Rose's Seafood in Seabrook on the way home from Galveston (they always have nice frozen Norwegian mackerel that I love - and maybe some fresh King mackerel)!

Re: State Water red snapper question [Re: The Zen Master] #13673176 08/19/20 06:58 AM
D
dolphinslayer1 Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
D
Originally Posted by The Zen Master
Originally Posted by HitEmTrue

Thank you sir.

I fished and grew-up in:

NYC (bluefish, stripers, weakfish, fluke, flounder (yes, there's a difference) from Atlantic City to Montauk)
fished, worked on a fishing boat, and lived in Hawaii (wahoo, mahimahi, large skipjack, schoolie-bigeye tuna, and papio lb-for-lb the hardest fighting fish on Earth - if it grew to 100-lbs it would crawl out of the water and kill you for pissing it off) also got a 3-year education in sushi
fished and lived in Seattle (chinook salmon, silver salmon (my favorite), and rock fish - and the best Chinese food I ever had including China Town NYC)
fished and lived in AZ (6-1/2 lb largemouth on sage 5-weight from crystal clear shad-filled Theodore Roosevelt Lake - that fish was deeelicious) while living in AZ (4) 5-day long-range fishing trips out of Sand Diego (yellowfin tuna, mahimahi, yellowtail) many more 2 and 3-day trips, had my own Penn International 50Wide and Seeker stand up rod, and now
Texas.

I know what fresh fish is and I want some, but I ain't showing fealty to anyone to get it.

My favorite fish to eat is Saba (mackerel sushi), Uni (sea urchin roe), Ama-ebi (raw sweet shrimp and the head deep fried), Maguro (bluefin tuna), Long Tail Red Snapper (Hawaii), and grilled king mackerel steaks.

I've learned something new every place I fished, and taught a few people a few things along the way.

I've never fished for a trophy - ever - I fish because I love the art of fishing and because I love fresh seafood, and 90% of people do not even know what fresh seafood really is (gutted immediately then (filleted and) brine/iced within 1-hour of catching).

My opinion - the folks in Port Aransas are booked solid every day and don't need no stinkin' new guys, and I do not like being talked to like this is the first day I ever thought of goin fishin...

No disrespect to anyone, but I give as good as I get.

Plus I can hit Rose's Seafood in Seabrook on the way home from Galveston (they always have nice frozen Norwegian mackerel that I love - and maybe some fresh King mackerel)!

In sorry this was your experience. Theres nothing I can do to fix or change it, but as a port a guide and resident, who , but for the first 2 years of his life he wasted on bad decisions living 25 minutes away , is almost a local, I'd like to apologize. There really is no excuse, but they're all just tired, and since it's been near 40 years of booming business, this time of year, no ones ever felt a need to tell them their style is wrong, and if they do there's always a fresh mark next in line...

Our island's quirky to say the least. I can Almost guarantee I know who you spoke with and can 100%get it right given 3 try's. And yes you are right. Customer service for the sake of the customer has never been strong to either of then, and like I said, never has it been required or relevant. Port aransas just keeps generating the same numbers of tourists mo matter how many she pisses off. However the crews on the boats typically make up for it tenfold.

Not to say any disparaging words about galvy crews, as I'm sure they too are class acts, but eh , I feel a need to defend. Anywho, if things change and you find a reason to fish port a, consider our party boats, you will probably be pleasantly surprised. Good luck, and have fun wherever you land

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide