Forum Statistics
Forums59
Topics1,038,966
Posts13,956,593
Members144,184
Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Went after catfish, ended up with a big longnose gar! #13656644 08/04/20 11:08 PM
B
Bassboy1992 Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
B
It seems that every time I have time to go to the Trinity, it's down. And when it's down, I just cannot catch catfish! Managed to bring in this nice longnose gar, though!

[Linked Image]

The landing was a little scuffed, but I got her back in the water right after a quick weighing. Just over 27 pounds! I can't even imagine what the 50+ pound state record looks like...

Here's a short video of the trip. Hope y'all enjoy it!

Thanks y'all! Catch you next time.

- Chase

Check out my YouTube channel for fun fishing and hunting videos, with plenty of useful tips!
https://m.youtube.com/c/onthechaseoutdoors

Re: Went after catfish, ended up with a big longnose gar! [Re: Bassboy1992] #13656656 08/04/20 11:14 PM
banker-always fishing Online Content
Pumpkin Head
Online Content
Pumpkin Head
Awesome post and a super video. Living the dream. thumb

[Linked Image][Linked Image]

IGFA World Record Rio Grande Cichlid. Lake Dunlap.

John 3:16

Sinner's Prayer. God forgive me a sinner. I accept Jesus Christ as my Savior !
Re: Went after catfish, ended up with a big longnose gar! [Re: Bassboy1992] #13656750 08/05/20 12:20 AM
C
Curt0407 Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
C
Way to go. That's a good un.

Re: Went after catfish, ended up with a big longnose gar! [Re: Bassboy1992] #13656769 08/05/20 12:35 AM
O
Osbornfishing Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
O
Nice fish. Congratulations thumb

Re: Went after catfish, ended up with a big longnose gar! [Re: Bassboy1992] #13657408 08/05/20 03:26 PM
L
Lepisosteus.carpio Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
L
That's a very solid fish. 27 lbs is close to line-class record in some IGFA line classes. Length? Girth?

Btw, the state (world) record longnose is not a longnose. It's a hybrid AGxLNG. IGFA has a photo clearly showing it's a hybrid. I'm working with a couple of other scientists to have the record reclassified or withdrawn because it ain't a longnose. Pure longnose very rarely exceed 60" long--the state record fish was 72". We see hybrids that long commonly. Fish that are much longer than 60" are invariably a hybrid.

There are a few other record fish in the IGFA database that are "fishy" as well. Most of the records are at or below 60", but then there's one that's 69" and with a very odd length to weight ratio. Hoping to get photographs of all of the longnose record fish and see if we can't get a hybrid category in the IGFA database, because no one will ever break the 50 lb longnose record unless we're counting hybrids as longnose.

Re: Went after catfish, ended up with a big longnose gar! [Re: Bassboy1992] #13657475 08/05/20 04:22 PM
D
Doc1986 Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
D
Wow! Nice fish! That's how it usually goes for me. You go after catfish and you end up catching every other species but catfish lol.

Re: Went after catfish, ended up with a big longnose gar! [Re: Lepisosteus.carpio] #13668764 08/15/20 02:51 PM
G
Gitter Done Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
G
Originally Posted by Lepisosteus.carpio
That's a very solid fish. 27 lbs is close to line-class record in some IGFA line classes. Length? Girth?

Btw, the state (world) record longnose is not a longnose. It's a hybrid AGxLNG. IGFA has a photo clearly showing it's a hybrid. I'm working with a couple of other scientists to have the record reclassified or withdrawn because it ain't a longnose. Pure longnose very rarely exceed 60" long--the state record fish was 72". We see hybrids that long commonly. Fish that are much longer than 60" are invariably a hybrid.

There are a few other record fish in the IGFA database that are "fishy" as well. Most of the records are at or below 60", but then there's one that's 69" and with a very odd length to weight ratio. Hoping to get photographs of all of the longnose record fish and see if we can't get a hybrid category in the IGFA database, because no one will ever break the 50 lb longnose record unless we're counting hybrids as longnose.

Good luck getting it changed! The IGFA has a lot of biologist on it's staff who are all over the world. Just like anything else I am sure you have a biologist who will dispute the IGFA's biologist. Who is one to believe in ? My guess the IGFA!

Re: Went after catfish, ended up with a big longnose gar! [Re: Bassboy1992] #13668770 08/15/20 02:55 PM
J
JimBridger Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
J
I bet that was exciting! Congratulations on your awesome catch.

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing. Edmund Burke
Re: Went after catfish, ended up with a big longnose gar! [Re: Bassboy1992] #13677588 08/23/20 01:14 PM
L
Laker One Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
L
Awesome! woot

Re: Went after catfish, ended up with a big longnose gar! [Re: Gitter Done] #13683654 08/28/20 06:30 PM
L
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
L
Originally Posted by Gitter Done

Good luck getting it changed! The IGFA has a lot of biologist on it's staff who are all over the world. Just like anything else I am sure you have a biologist who will dispute the IGFA's biologist. Who is one to believe in ? My guess the IGFA!

Well, it's a hybrid, indisputable. We have a mountain of evidence to show this. They photo of the record fish is unequivocally a hybrid, it looks nothing like a pure longnose and exactly like dozens of examples of AG x LNG hybrid gar. And the "biologist" is the world authority on gar, a PhD ichthyologist professor with international reputation. Not some fisheries biologist with master's degree. I don't disagree that they might not make the change, but it won't be based on facts.

Re: Went after catfish, ended up with a big longnose gar! [Re: Bassboy1992] #13848641 01/16/21 05:33 PM
L
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
L
Originally Posted by Gitter Done

Well, it's a hybrid, indisputable. We have a mountain of evidence to show this. They photo of the record fish is unequivocally a hybrid, it looks nothing like a pure longnose and exactly like dozens of examples of AG x LNG hybrid gar. And the "biologist" is the world authority on gar, a PhD ichthyologist professor with international reputation. Not some fisheries biologist with master's degree. I don't disagree that they might not make the change, but it won't be based on facts.

FYI, the all-tackle longnose gar IGFA record has been reclassified as a hybrid, just as I said it was. I was responsible for getting this record changed, along with 2 other scientists who study gar.

IGFA All-tackle longose gar now classified as a hybrid

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide