Print Thread
Crack in Hull - 2005 Skeeter 190 #13654290 08/03/20 03:07 AM
J
johnnlucky Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
J
I'm looking for a recommendation on a hull crack repair on my 2005 Skeeter 190. I have been pumping out water for over a year. About every 30 minutes. i could not figure out where the leak was from. I blew out a tire and as i was changing the tire i noticed the crack. I'll try and upload a picture soon. If this is in the wrong spot let me know.

Johnnlucky

Re: Crack in Hull - 2005 Skeeter 190 [Re: johnnlucky] #13654295 08/03/20 03:14 AM
J
johnnlucky Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
J
Well I'm not sure how to up load a photo. But the crack is at least 6 inches and by the right rear tire.

Johnnlucky

Re: Crack in Hull - 2005 Skeeter 190 [Re: johnnlucky] #13654311 08/03/20 03:39 AM
R
rb7764 Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
R
Classic Fiberglass in Denton

Are you sure that is where the water is coming in? No leaks in live well hoses, through hull fittings, bilge pump(s), etc.?

Re: Crack in Hull - 2005 Skeeter 190 [Re: johnnlucky] #13654661 08/03/20 03:25 PM
L
lurenthewind Offline
Angler
Angler
L
I just got my boat back from Classic Fiberglass. They are in Sanger now. I stumped my boat and did some gel coat damage on the bottom. You can;t even tell where the repair was done and the bottom of my boat has metal flake in the finish. They did a beautiful job of matching it.

Wayne

Luck will beat skill any time you have enough of it!
Re: Crack in Hull - 2005 Skeeter 190 [Re: johnnlucky] #13655509 08/04/20 02:04 AM
J
johnnlucky Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
J
I'm unsure of the actual hole in the hull. But i pump out a lot of water about every 30 minutes. But I have a gouge in the Keel. I was going to try and fiberglass and repair over. My brother and actually pored water in the boat looking to see where it came out and could not find a leak on the trailer. We caulk or sealed around every thing we could think of but didn't take out the bilge and live well pumps. I wish i could upload a photo. Is it is it upload in line images?

Johnnlucky

Re: Crack in Hull - 2005 Skeeter 190 [Re: johnnlucky] #13657078 08/05/20 08:57 AM
Bandit 200 XP Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
Classic Fiberglass in Sanger

Triton 200 XP
200 Yamaha 0X66
Re: Crack in Hull - 2005 Skeeter 190 [Re: johnnlucky] #13657159 08/05/20 12:02 PM
F
Flippin-Out Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
F
Originally Posted by johnnlucky
I'm unsure of the actual hole in the hull. But i pump out a lot of water about every 30 minutes. But I have a gouge in the Keel. I was going to try and fiberglass and repair over. My brother and actually pored water in the boat looking to see where it came out and could not find a leak on the trailer. We caulk or sealed around every thing we could think of but didn't take out the bilge and live well pumps. I wish i could upload a photo. Is it is it upload in line images?

If you are pumping a lot of water every 30 minutes, I doubt the water is coming from a crack that sounds like it's not actually opened up. Does it look like a line drawn on the hull, or is there a fair amount of damage and maybe some open crack?

To test the hull for leaks, you need to raise the bow so the attitude of the hull is the same as the angle it has when sitting on the water. Plug the boat as if you are going to launch it. You'll want to watch for water appearing in the bilge during these tests, so you need to be able to actually see the lowest point in the hull. If you can't SEE the bilge pump is, move things so that you can.

TEST ONE: Use the garden hose with no hose sprayer attachment, just open hose flow: go around the rubrail at the stern area of the boat. allowing water to flow into the gap of the hull and the rubrail, top and bottom. Be sure to push water up, like a fountain, under the bottom lip of the rubrail. The rubrail covers the joint between the cap and the hull, and it may be lacking sealer. Have someone watching for water in the bilge as you do this. If after trying a while, the bilge is still dry, move on to the next test.

TEST TWO: Go ahead and plug the livewell drains as you normally would. Go to the transom outside the boat where your livewell drain fittings are located. Push the running garden hose onto/into each livewell drain outlet and surround the hose with a cloth to help seal it. The idea is to "push" water under pressure toward the livewell. Water can be seeping into the boat in reverse of the drain direction anytime the boat is sitting in the water, and this hose trick will help reveal such leaks. Have someone watching for water in the bilge as you do this.

TEST THREE: Leave the livewell drains plugged for now. Go to the transom outside the boat where you will have livewell fill pump inlet fittings. Remove screw on screens if you have them. Push the running garden hose onto/into each livewell fill pump inlet and surround the hose with a cloth to help seal it. The idea is to "push" water under pressure toward the livewell. Water can be seeping into the boat in this manner when the boat is sitting in the water, whether or not you have turned on the pumps because the lake can get into the hoses.. Have someone watching for water in the bilge as you do this. You may have a cracked fitting or pump housing.

TEST FOUR: Leave the livewell drains plugged. Find the livewell overflow fitting inside each livewell. They are usually fairly large, and may be hard to see up high in the back. Put the garden hose in each one. Have someone look for water flowing out at the transom. Have them cover that fitting to hold water in it as you fill the overflow plumbing with the garden hose. Then as they hold it sealed, look for water appearing in the bilge. This isn't a typical problem, but needs to be checked.

TEST FIVE: Use the garden hose to carefully fill the livewells without spilling water into the hull. You'll want to be watching for water appearing in the bilge. If you are normally running recirculator pumps when you have the accumulation of water, turn those on. Fill the livewells FULL, watching for water in the bilge that comes from any part of the livewell plumbing. Give this a bit to make sure it's not the source of the leak, then turn pumps off and go to the next step.

TEST SIX: Disconnect the battery (so the bilge pump won't activate). Use the garden hose to fill the bilge with water. You'll want to be watching the outside of the hull for leaks, even around your transom drain plug. You'll want to put enough water in the bilge to get up over all of the fittings through the transom, and well up onto the bilge pump housing to insure you've added enough water. This is a highly likely leak area. I've seen livewell fill pumps and other fittings crack, causing constant leaks. It won't hurt for livewell pumps to get wet - they're sealed. If still no dripping outside on the transom..... THEN it might be the crack you've found.

Re: Crack in Hull - 2005 Skeeter 190 [Re: johnnlucky] #13657367 08/05/20 02:36 PM
B
bronco71 Online Content
TFF Team Angler
Online Content
TFF Team Angler
B
Also check the speedo tube going from the motor to the speedometer (if it has a mechanical one, not GPS). If it is disconnected or broken and not plugged it can pump a lot of water into the boat...don't ask how I know this hammer

1987 Nitro MX185/Mercury Black Max 150
1999 Triton TX21/225 Mercury Optimax
Re: Crack in Hull - 2005 Skeeter 190 [Re: bronco71] #13659849 08/07/20 07:00 PM
F
Flippin-Out Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
F
Originally Posted by bronco71
Also check the speedo tube going from the motor to the speedometer (if it has a mechanical one, not GPS). If it is disconnected or broken and not plugged it can pump a lot of water into the boat...don't ask how I know this hammer

I never thought about that one, specifically. But, I did wonder about asking if it still seemed to happen if he was in calm water with the boat at rest - but didn't ask that question.
How much water would that be? I guess you have a friend that had this happen, so you could ask him? roflmao

Re: Crack in Hull - 2005 Skeeter 190 [Re: Flippin-Out] #13659887 08/07/20 07:35 PM
B
bronco71 Online Content
TFF Team Angler
Online Content
TFF Team Angler
B
Originally Posted by Flippin-Out
Originally Posted by bronco71

I never thought about that one, specifically. But, I did wonder about asking if it still seemed to happen if he was in calm water with the boat at rest - but didn't ask that question.
How much water would that be? I guess you have a friend that had this happen, so you could ask him? roflmao

LOL, my friend is right here with me! When this happened we were skiing and tubing a lot with the bass boat so we were moving a lot, after a couple hours the boat was sluggish and I opened the battery compartment to find it flooded part way up the side of the batteries. Drained with bilge pump and looked for a leak and saw a pretty good stream in the rear compartment while running, similar to the p stream on the motor. Found the broken hose and plugged it.

1987 Nitro MX185/Mercury Black Max 150
1999 Triton TX21/225 Mercury Optimax
Re: Crack in Hull - 2005 Skeeter 190 [Re: johnnlucky] #13660459 08/08/20 12:06 PM
Okie Poke Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
Originally Posted by johnnlucky

Send me your picture via email to toms@jmfarms.com and I'll try and put it up on this thread.

😎 Dallas Cowboys....eventual Superbowl Champions 😎

Re: Crack in Hull - 2005 Skeeter 190 [Re: johnnlucky] #13660662 08/08/20 04:18 PM
Bandit 200 XP Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
Probably just drain plug leaking

Triton 200 XP
200 Yamaha 0X66
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide