Modified My Kastmaster Lures! #13652987 08/01/20 08:47 PM
S
Scuba Chris Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
S
Modifying Your Original Kastmaster!
For areas of poor water visibility i prefer to use small reflective metal spoons like Kastmasters & Krocodiles to attract fish through the murk. For deeper areas of fresh water intrusion to harbors where water clarity is influenced by poor circulation i use larger heavier metal lures. The increased reflective surface area combined with the increased weight allows me to cast greater distances. Areas of clearer visibility fish tend to rely more on visual acuity so having less "solid" visual accessories (ie metal swivels, snaps, etc) on your mainline/leader plays a huge role in hooking-up on your casts.

I've learned how to modify my smaller lighter metal lures to the larger more reflective spoons. The 2oz Kastmasters are large & extremely reflective. I love the distance i get casting them. Because of the weight i prefer areas of deeper depths or sandy bottoms (less chance of snagging). My combo of choice for this is my Shimano Spheros SW6000 "Salt Water" filled with blue 50lb Jerry Brown braid mounted on a Lamiglass fast action/medium heavy 11ft Insane Surf. My Shimano Twin Powers is another great choice (i prefer Shimano due to the lighter weight & technology). I'm easily getting 100yd casts using this combo & leader set-up.

For my modifications to be fruitful choosing the right style, size & weight of hook is extremely important! To make the right choice i consulted with local legend Mr Brian Kimura, proprietor of Brian's Fishing Supply. His knowledge of local fishing techniques is impressive (he also fished back in the day with my mentor Wayne Akagi).

I presented my product choices & how i put everything together. I hope the information that i've shared will help others.

Traveled the World diving & fishing. Became a ranked billiard player in Asia. Won a few senior bowling tournaments. I travel to the US, Australia & Europe working with museums & doing educational lectures.
Re: Modified My Kastmaster Lures! [Re: Scuba Chris] #13653034 08/01/20 09:26 PM
banker-always fishing Offline
Pumpkin Head
Pumpkin Head
Nicely done. Neat video. thumb

[Linked Image][Linked Image]

IGFA World Record Rio Grande Cichlid. Lake Dunlap.

John 3:16

Sinner's Prayer. God forgive me a sinner. I accept Jesus Christ as my Savior !
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide