Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
What would you have done? #13649150 07/29/20 06:32 PM
A
armadilla Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
A
I need some advice on how I should have handled a situation that really angered me last Monday. I have bass fished on Lake Whitney for the last 25 years. Some of you old timers may remember my Whitney Lake Online website.

Anyway, last Monday morning The Boss and I got up early and went to the lake, launching about 6:30 am. One of our favorite spots is over by Katy Bridge in the back of the big cove on the west side of the bridge. There is one small spot there that most always produce a fish on top water for me.

There was a boat on the shoreline on the other side of the cove, some 300 or 400 yards from where my spot is on the opposite side of the cove. I went to my spot and we started fishing. First thing, I let a small bass get off. We didn't move from this spot, we only fish the one 20' spot. We circle back to fish it again and I noticed that the boat that had been across the cove is speedily making its way toward us. Shortly it arrived and the guy in it began casting into the same location we were. Then he proceeded to troll right across where we were fishing

I asked him if I was in his way. He responded that he fished “this old road bed every morning” and that I had “cut him off.” We had some more words and he challenged me to “come on over here.” Well after some encouragement from The Boss, I pulled up the trolling motor and we left... It appeared to us he was either an idiot or just not in his right mind.

BUT, it was obvious he was a YANKEE. He was in one of those small aluminum Lund or Lowe deep V fishing boats... no deck but did have chairs with a half dozen or so rods poked up in back. He had his little floppy hat cinched up under his chin. His accent was definitely YANKEE, maybe Wisconsin, Michigan or the like. I don't know specifically what lure he was using, but it appeared to be a Little George or similar lure. At any rate, not your typical southern bass fisherman.

I don't know, this man was a ¼ mile or so from us when stopped and we didn't move from our spot over the 5 to 10 minutes or so that we were there. When we first saw him, he could have been fishing in the one spot or moved in either direction along the shore line. It never occurred to me that I could possibly be “cutting him off” as we were across the cove from him. In my 25 years of fishing on Lake Whitney, I have never encountered this man before... and hopefully will never again.

As the days have passed, I have wondered how I should have handled this. I just hate it when people run over me, especially rude people from up North.

What would you have done? How would you have handled this situation?

the armadilla....

Whitney Lake Online
Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: What would you have done? [Re: armadilla] #13649165 07/29/20 06:47 PM
Walls Online Content
Extreme Angler
Online Content
Extreme Angler
I hate that for you as it always sucks to run into a D-bag on the water (or anywhere for that matter). Honestly if I were fishing with my wife, I would've just picked up the troller and moved on while giving the guy a bit of what I thought of him. When I am out with my wife on the water, it is only to enjoy the day with her and I can do that on any part of the lake. By myself or with a buddy I might've entertained his offer depending on my mood for the day. You did the right thing by moving on with your wife with you.

Re: What would you have done? [Re: armadilla] #13649175 07/29/20 06:56 PM
JacksonBean Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
Originally Posted by armadilla
I need some advice on how I should have handled a situation that really angered me last Monday. I have bass fished on Lake Whitney for the last 25 years. Some of you old timers may remember my Whitney Lake Online website.

Anyway, last Monday morning The Boss and I got up early and went to the lake, launching about 6:30 am. One of our favorite spots is over by Katy Bridge in the back of the big cove on the west side of the bridge. There is one small spot there that most always produce a fish on top water for me.

There was a boat on the shoreline on the other side of the cove, some 300 or 400 yards from where my spot is on the opposite side of the cove. I went to my spot and we started fishing. First thing, I let a small bass get off. We didn't move from this spot, we only fish the one 20' spot. We circle back to fish it again and I noticed that the boat that had been across the cove is speedily making its way toward us. Shortly it arrived and the guy in it began casting into the same location we were. Then he proceeded to troll right across where we were fishing

I asked him if I was in his way. He responded that he fished “this old road bed every morning” and that I had “cut him off.” We had some more words and he challenged me to “come on over here.” Well after some encouragement from The Boss, I pulled up the trolling motor and we left... It appeared to us he was either an idiot or just not in his right mind.

BUT, it was obvious he was a YANKEE. He was in one of those small aluminum Lund or Lowe deep V fishing boats... no deck but did have chairs with a half dozen or so rods poked up in back. He had his little floppy hat cinched up under his chin. His accent was definitely YANKEE, maybe Wisconsin, Michigan or the like. I don't know specifically what lure he was using, but it appeared to be a Little George or similar lure. At any rate, not your typical southern bass fisherman.

I don't know, this man was a ¼ mile or so from us when stopped and we didn't move from our spot over the 5 to 10 minutes or so that we were there. When we first saw him, he could have been fishing in the one spot or moved in either direction along the shore line. It never occurred to me that I could possibly be “cutting him off” as we were across the cove from him. In my 25 years of fishing on Lake Whitney, I have never encountered this man before... and hopefully will never again.

As the days have passed, I have wondered how I should have handled this. I just hate it when people run over me, especially rude people from up North.

Tough call, especially because you know they just do things differently. Lately, I see others as trying to steal my joy so any way out of the situation that doesn't end in gunshots is the way I lean. I think you did right but the 25 year old in me would want to go grab him by his tiny hat and shake him.

Pat yourself on the back for taking the high road and chalk it up to a difference of who had dibs on the water.

J

[Linked Image]
Re: What would you have done? [Re: armadilla] #13649177 07/29/20 06:57 PM
Tiltman Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
If its truly as you say , I would have not left and told the dude to go eff him self.

Re: What would you have done? [Re: armadilla] #13649196 07/29/20 07:14 PM
Bassattak Offline
Angler
Angler
Originally Posted by armadilla

In today's current world you did the correct thing and left with no real incident and something serious happening to either person. I would have had a hard time not taking him up on his offer of "Come on Over". My concern with this story is your judgement on "Northern" people. I am originally from Wisconsin and would not act the way he did. In fact i have never personally seen that in all the years of fishing in Wisconsin. I have however seen it pretty regular since I have moved here and started fishing. Cant imagine everyone that has gotten "BUTTHURT" I was in their spot was from the "North". There are dead beats all over that just don't know how to enjoy the freedom and privileges we have to be able to fish or any other activities. On to another day. Happy fishing to you "Southern Bass fisherman" cheers

"Nothing makes a fish bigger than almost being caught".

�Be patient and calm - for no one can catch fish in anger".
Re: What would you have done? [Re: armadilla] #13649199 07/29/20 07:17 PM
G
grout-scout Online Sleepy
TFF Guru
Online Sleepy
TFF Guru
G
Not trying to sound like a tough guy, but if he cut me off within casting distance, I’d hit the side of his boat with the lure. If he was far enough away not to hit, then meh, it’s just the new normal.

Re: What would you have done? [Re: armadilla] #13649206 07/29/20 07:20 PM
Allison1 Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
Leave and enjoy the day. No tournament and your day was better than had you made some kind of challenge to him.

He will learn one day that he was lucky today.

Re: What would you have done? [Re: armadilla] #13649210 07/29/20 07:25 PM
B
Bass Buster1 Online Content
Extreme Angler
Online Content
Extreme Angler
B
Lakes are big, sucks when this happens, moving on was the correct course of action. Is a spot worth a fist fight? When I was 16, you better believe it but now at 50, not so much.

See you on the lake and have a great day!
Re: What would you have done? [Re: armadilla] #13649216 07/29/20 07:31 PM
F
Finesse EMPEROR/ Dropshot King Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
F
Sounds like a potlicker seen you were catching fish and wanted to comeover to catch some too... sounds like you should've meet him at the boat ramp... so many dumb people on the water that are tough guys till they get to the boat ramp...

Re: What would you have done? [Re: Bassattak] #13649218 07/29/20 07:31 PM
T
tcmitch25 Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
T
I think you handled it great, but it got me curious about the northern fishing vs. southern bass fishing as well. I was born in Nebraska and grew up fishing for walleye. I've been up on trips up to South Dakota a couple of times for walleye and what not and fishing around other people depending on spots and locations is a somewhat common practice depending on the lake. Whenever you go out to lake Texoma and go striper fishing there are tonsssss of people fishing on top of each other, and up and down that bank.

I'm not yet at the point financially to have a boat, but wouldn't necessarily have a problem with someone who came in behind me, or was around me if I was off shore on structure if they were quiet and respectful. With that being said, whenever out with others on their boats we are always courteous and stay clear of others if they beat us to a spot. Just wondering, for future reference so I don't unintentionally break an unwritten rule in bass fishing, what is acceptable when being around others and when is it not acceptable to be around another bass fisherman?

Not trying to jack your thread Armadilla, but I know someday I'm likely to be labeled a yankee when I'm in my Lund Pro-V bass boat and want to make sure I'm doing right by everyone. haha I think you handled yourself great for the situation and from the sounds of it the guy was just being a tool.

Re: What would you have done? [Re: armadilla] #13649220 07/29/20 07:32 PM
R
Rich12 Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
R
I would have left but I may have forgotten to trim my big motor down if ya know what I mean.

If it was a stupid idea, you can be assured I have already done it
Re: What would you have done? [Re: armadilla] #13649232 07/29/20 07:40 PM
Bassattak Offline
Angler
Angler
Heck in the winter us Northern Wisconsin people would drive out on the ice and drill a bunch of holes with our shacks right on top of each other to catch fish. We got along great. We drank Beer and asked the guy with the radio what the score of the football game. Of course the Packers always had more than the Cowgirls. banana Lakes are WAY bigger down here so plenty of other spots to go try finding a new Honey Hole.

"Nothing makes a fish bigger than almost being caught".

�Be patient and calm - for no one can catch fish in anger".
Re: What would you have done? [Re: armadilla] #13649248 07/29/20 07:52 PM
C
Cuervo Jones Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
C
I’ve had rude “GOOD OL’ SOUTHERN BOYS” roll up on me and cast to where I was fishing. Happened just last week in fact. North or south, there’s jackasses everywhere. I moved off and kept catching bass on jigs while they kept hauling water with their drop shot rigs. Judging people based on an accent is pretty stupid. But if what you describe happened as you describe it, the guys sounds like an obnoxious clown.

“Slide”
Re: What would you have done? [Re: armadilla] #13649357 07/29/20 09:02 PM
S
Squirrely Dan Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
S
You handled it better than I would have.

Fully sponsored by my mom
Re: What would you have done? [Re: armadilla] #13649408 07/29/20 09:35 PM
hopalong Online Confused
Pescador Loco
Online Confused
Pescador Loco
call gw, give boat # and file a harassment report.

then leave.

" Hop, set the hook"!
hopalong 99,999
TexDawg 99,999
FJB! not my president by a long shot!

lake fork FISHERMANS COVE MARINA/reservations - 903 474 7479
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide