texasfishingforum.com logo
Main Menu
Advertisement
Affiliates
Advertisement
Newest Members
Cameron Gose, Jetskirentals512, Flashin Assassin Lures, SoonerTex0623, Bobby J.
119181 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
hopalong 121,013
TexDawg 119,783
Bigbob_FTW 95,321
John175☮ 85,918
Pilothawk 83,274
Bob Davis 82,326
Mark Perry 72,486
Derek 🐝 68,321
JDavis7873 67,416
Forum Statistics
Forums59
Topics1,038,890
Posts13,954,913
Members144,181
Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
question on drifting for blue cats #13648131 07/28/20 10:17 PM
K
KEGracing Offline OP
Pro Angler
OP Offline
Pro Angler
K
Trying to learn more about targeting blue cats. Really like eating them and catching them. Fishing on Cedar Creek, drifting in some of the creek channels, deeper points, etc. Not sure if this is good or not for the summer, but got to start somewhere? Plan to turn the big ones lose IF I ever have to worry about that. Eat 10 lb and down...

Question #1 for the day: Any suggestions on what to look for on the lake maps? Where to target?

Using shad for bait, trying to catch fresh each day, but no bait tank, so they die quickly even in large 5 gallon floating bucket. Made my own with 5 gallon bucket with a bunch of little holes and foam noodle around the top. Works better than a small minnow bucket, but they still die...

Using either larger cut shad or smaller whole shad, on circle hooks. What ever shad I catch - gizzard and or threadfin. Drifting with wind, tight lining rod and reel. Enough weight to keep on bottom. Using 3 way with leaders for hook and weight.

Question number 2 for the day: When you get a bite, do you set the hook immediately, or feed them some slack line immediately and then hit them? Got a few bites yesterday, but no hook up's. Was not in the best areas, as bites were slow, and then not doing something right... Was in 18-24' of water most of the time, also tried 12' for a little while.

Thanks in advance all!

Stay safe - COVID is real, and it sucks!

Tight lines!

Ken

2014 Premier Alante 235 RF tritoon. Momma's boat. But I get to fish on her.

A country boy will survive... but those who cross him?

Cedar Creek personal best:
Blue Cat 31.55 lbs
Hybrid 6.2 lbs
Crappie 2.1 lbs
Tennessee River Blue 45.7
Wet Rooster Jigs Fishing Super Store
Re: question on drifting for blue cats [Re: KEGracing] #13648232 07/28/20 11:46 PM
Drycreek3189 Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
I’ll be very interested in the replies to this one.

Re: question on drifting for blue cats [Re: KEGracing] #13648281 07/29/20 12:23 AM
B
Blue Blazer 2400 Online Content
Extreme Angler
Online Content
Extreme Angler
B
Do you have a fish finder? If so you need to locate bait and fish. Otherwise you are fishing blind and that’s hard to be successful. I don’t fish cedar creek. This time of year there is usually a thermocline, make sure are aren’t drinking in it. Creek channels, humps, points, and flats all hold fish at certain times. Need to do some graphing before starting a drift. Also, invest in some drift socks. If you are drifting too fast you won’t be successful

Fresh Shad is the best. No need to try to keep the Shad alive, just put them straight on ice. Look up the Santee Cooper rig and use it with a slinky style drifting weight (2-3 oz) . Use a circle hook and wait until the fish gives a steady pull and then just start reeling while the rod is still in the rod holder. Don’t take the rod out of the holder until the fish is hooked.

Re: question on drifting for blue cats [Re: Blue Blazer 2400] #13648313 07/29/20 12:55 AM
J
jackiekennedyfishingguide Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
J
Originally Posted by Blue Blazer 2400
Do you have a fish finder? If so you need to locate bait and fish. Otherwise you are fishing blind and that’s hard to be successful. I don’t fish cedar creek. This time of year there is usually a thermocline, make sure are aren’t drinking in it. Creek channels, humps, points, and flats all hold fish at certain times. Need to do some graphing before starting a drift. Also, invest in some drift socks. If you are drifting too fast you won’t be successful

Fresh Shad is the best. No need to try to keep the Shad alive, just put them straight on ice. Look up the Santee Cooper rig and use it with a slinky style drifting weight (2-3 oz) . Use a circle hook and wait until the fish gives a steady pull and then just start reeling while the rod is still in the rod holder. Don’t take the rod out of the holder until the fish is hooked.

Lots of generic truth in this post

903-603-3793
Clients or I have landed eight state record fish and eighteen water body records.
TPWD Elite Angler
[Linked Image]
jackiekennedyfishingguide

Re: question on drifting for blue cats [Re: KEGracing] #13648619 07/29/20 01:02 PM
O
Osbornfishing Online Content
TFF Team Angler
Online Content
TFF Team Angler
O
If you plan on fishing the same locations, then take some range cubes with you and dump a couple of pounds out at prime locations where you plan to drift. The blues don’t like the cubes as much as channels, but the shad love the cubes. If you attract the shad, guess what likes to hang around? roflmao Chumming with cubes over time will really concentrate the fish if they are around to begin with.

There are some big ones out there.

[Linked Image]

Re: question on drifting for blue cats [Re: KEGracing] #13648655 07/29/20 01:24 PM
K
KEGracing Offline OP
Pro Angler
OP Offline
Pro Angler
K
Good morning all,

Blue Blazer, thanks for the notes. I am learning to use some new electronics, have a 9" Lowrance Ti unit, and it is smarter than I am. Will do all kinds of things. I will also look at the thermocline and Sante Cooper rig more. Again, thank you.

Mr. Kennedy, hope you are well. Fished with you back in the spring with my 13 yr old, had a GREAT trip. Will try to do that again when the COVID stuff slows down. Really enjoyed our trip, and we put fish in the freezer!

Mr. Osborn, nice fish! I will remember the range cubes, when I figure out some areas. Makes sense to lure the shad. I use the cubes around my dock now, but it is in a shallow cove, and just channel cats this time of year. The channel are fun to catch, but I would rather look for the blues. Did catch some blues from the dock last winter, when water was colder.

Thanks again to all the forum help! I am trying to put in time, but also will ask questions, to try and speed up the learning curve!

Stay safe everyone - be careful. COVID is real, and it sucks!

Ken

Blue Cat 31.55 lbs
Hybrid 6.2 lbs
Crappie 2.1 lbs
Re: question on drifting for blue cats [Re: KEGracing] #13650169 07/30/20 02:50 PM
K
KEGracing Offline OP
Pro Angler
OP Offline
Pro Angler
K
Good morning all.

Got a chance to go out yesterday evening for a couple of hours, with youngest son. We put 8 in the cooler between 14"-20". Turned another 5 or 6 loose that were shorter. drifting points and creek beds. 15'-18' seemed to be the zone yesterday. Was sunny and a good south breeze. Wind picked up, and we had to go for safety.

Question on drift speed: Know it probably changes season to season. What should I target for summer, fall, winter?

Thanks in advance.

Stay safe all!

Ken

Blue Cat 31.55 lbs
Hybrid 6.2 lbs
Crappie 2.1 lbs
Re: question on drifting for blue cats [Re: KEGracing] #13650286 07/30/20 04:11 PM
B
Blue Blazer 2400 Online Content
Extreme Angler
Online Content
Extreme Angler
B
I don’t do much cat fishing in the summer so no help there, but fall and winter I shoot for .5 mph and below.

What kind of boat are you in?

Re: question on drifting for blue cats [Re: KEGracing] #13650314 07/30/20 04:32 PM
🍀El Gato Azul🍀 Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
I drift .3-.6 mph year round. I start at .5 most days and slow it down if everything is laying on the bottom. If it’s windy I try to go a little faster so my rattle rigs make a little more noise. Drift speed and boat control makes all the difference in my opinion. I usually drift a little slower then anyone around me. I have 8 drift socks and use them all in different configurations. My favorite conditions are 15 mph with the lake barely starting to whitecap. Very manageable wind, easy to hit your targets, and the fish are usually fired up. Leave your wives at home for these conditions. I also fish around the storms with rollers and wind up to 25 mph. My best and worst fishing is usually in big wind and big waves but that kind of bluecatn is like going into battle. Leave your women and children at home for these conditions and make sure you strap on your big boy pants. You either win big and feel great or you get smoked and take a beating.

There is a fine line between fishing and floating around like an idiot!!
texas Check out out my YouTube channel El Gato Azul TV texas
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCg0aV-uOxzxKxeqFFfREzKg
⚓️⚓️⚓️⚓️ Home of little boys holding big catfish! ⚓️⚓️⚓️⚓️
Re: question on drifting for blue cats [Re: 🍀El Gato Azul🍀] #13650330 07/30/20 04:46 PM
JJ4MEL Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
Originally Posted by 🌊El Gato Azul🌊
I drift .3-.6 mph year round. I start at .5 most days and slow it down if everything is laying on the bottom. If it’s windy I try to go a little faster so my rattle rigs make a little more noise. Drift speed and boat control makes all the difference in my opinion. I usually drift a little slower then anyone around me. I have 8 drift socks and use them all in different configurations. My favorite conditions are 15 mph with the lake barely starting to whitecap. Very manageable wind, easy to hit your targets, and the fish are usually fired up. Leave your wives at home for these conditions. I also fish around the storms with rollers and wind up to 25 mph. My best and worst fishing is usually in big wind and big waves but that kind of bluecatn is like going into battle. Leave your women and children at home for these conditions and make sure you strap on your big boy pants. You either win big and feel great or you get smoked and take a beating.

cheers

Re: question on drifting for blue cats [Re: KEGracing] #13650528 07/30/20 07:23 PM
K
KEGracing Offline OP
Pro Angler
OP Offline
Pro Angler
K
I appreciate the reply's all!

I have an 18' aluminum Bass Tracker bass boat. Great on calm water, but when it starts to white cap, it is a rough ride, and quickly moves to the not safe zone. With Cedar Creek running North-South for most part on the main lake, it can get rough quickly with our normal South or North winds... seems most of the time it is either south or north... I have been looking at other - bigger boats, but right now the boat market is stupid hot. People paying well over book value for used boats. I would love a nice CC, but wife wants a pontoon. So I have been looking at Tritoons, with combo fishing play setup. This COVID and cheap interest rates has everyone wanting a boat it seems!

El Gato, love your post. Thanks for sharing the numbers, and the discussion on conditions sounds spot on. My wife is definitely a fair weather fishing partner at best. She would far rather lay out on the boat, and me not bother her. If they are biting real good, she might take part for a little while... and don't even ask her to go if it is cool and or rainy. But I want to have equipment to be safe - for sons and I.

I will be looking at some drift socks I guess.

Take care and be safe everyone. COVID sucks!

Ken

Blue Cat 31.55 lbs
Hybrid 6.2 lbs
Crappie 2.1 lbs
Re: question on drifting for blue cats [Re: KEGracing] #13651439 07/31/20 11:59 AM
S
steveiam Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
S
Is cedar creek lake the main lake you fish?
It is certainly a good bluecat lake l-
I see you have Red Oak listed, Lake Waxahachie and Bardwell both have some nice blues also, I’ve caught nice blues (And released them back) from both lakes.
And both lakes have quite a lot of eater size blues too.
I know both lakes are kind of finicky but actually it seems all lakes are-
I like the smaller lakes because it’s just a smaller area that they have to spread out-
To me it seems like summertime they are much more spread out than in cooler months when the bait is more concentrated, and in a smaller lake I just seem to have better luck.
The potential for the huge hogs are gonna be better in the large lakes, but sounds like you haven’t been spoiled with 30lb fish yet, if you start catching more fish on the smaller lakes you can then take what you learned and apply that at the larger lakes.
All really good input in this thread before mine from guys that have had proven success for many years-
Once you start hooking those big girls it’s pretty addictive, I wish you the best of luck!

What has happed to you does not define who you are-

HOW you react to what happens to you DOES!
Re: question on drifting for blue cats [Re: KEGracing] #13651460 07/31/20 12:26 PM
S
steveiam Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
S
Lake Bardwell fish- [Linked Image]
Another Bardwell fish-
[Linked Image]
Caught this while drifting at Bardwell using cut shad-
[Linked Image]
Lake Waxahachie fish-
[Linked Image]

What has happed to you does not define who you are-

HOW you react to what happens to you DOES!
Re: question on drifting for blue cats [Re: KEGracing] #13651661 07/31/20 02:40 PM
K
KEGracing Offline OP
Pro Angler
OP Offline
Pro Angler
K
Steve,

NICE pictures - nice fish. I agree, those are addictive!

I had not fished much in several years, as my oldest son drag raced - as do I, and we spent most of the free time racing. Oldest off to college and youngest son did not want to race, wanted to fish. So we shifted gears some a couple of years ago.

I have fished Bardwell some with limited success. Have not been on Wax much. I bought a place at Cedar Creek last winter, and keep my boat there now. So trying to learn the lake. Enjoying it, but as with everything, there are challenges and it takes time.

Have had a lot of super people on this forum offer advice, and fishing with Mr. Kennedy was also a great teaching aid!

Take care -stay safe.

Ken

Blue Cat 31.55 lbs
Hybrid 6.2 lbs
Crappie 2.1 lbs
Re: question on drifting for blue cats [Re: KEGracing] #13651957 07/31/20 06:53 PM
S
serj5150 Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
S
Aye My Buddy Steve-o and the Mrs. thumb...Great pics Ya'll!!!

Checkout my Youtube channel for tips and techniques on
crappie and catfish
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKsHpQ1vQP7HRC_sw0fXopQ?view_as=subscriber
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide