texasfishingforum.com logo
Main Menu
Advertisement
Affiliates
Advertisement
Newest Members
Widebacks, Austin Horn/Ag Dad, kreddAdv, haraujo, LtDan61
113420 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
TexDawg 96,122
hopalong 88,320
Pilothawk 79,958
John175☮ 77,777
JDavis7873 67,400
Bigbob_FTW 65,980
Derek 🐝 64,534
Mark Perry 60,413
Tritonman 58,942
facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums62
Topics776,684
Posts9,849,315
Members113,420
Most Online36,273
Jan 23rd, 2013
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
State Water red snapper question #13648127 07/28/20 10:15 PM
Joined: Jul 2020
Posts: 7
T
The Zen Master Online Content OP
Green Horn
OP Online Content
Green Horn
T
Joined: Jul 2020
Posts: 7
I am not sure I understand State Water fishing for red snapper.

Can/do party boats fish State Waters for red snapper?

Re: State Water red snapper question [Re: The Zen Master] #13648176 07/28/20 11:05 PM
Joined: Jun 2010
Posts: 1,254
T
tunatamer Online Content
Extreme Angler
Online Content
Extreme Angler
T
Joined: Jun 2010
Posts: 1,254
No ... party boats are not normally permitted for state waters. There are some exceptions that run state water snapper trips out of Port Mansfield in the winter months though. But there are many charters available and they catch bigger fish too.


"still" awesum
Re: State Water red snapper question [Re: The Zen Master] #13648399 07/29/20 02:33 AM
Joined: Sep 2017
Posts: 1,165
O
Osbornfishing Offline
Extreme Angler
Offline
Extreme Angler
O
Joined: Sep 2017
Posts: 1,165
Most party boats are only permitted for fishing in federal waters. However, there are exceptions. In Port Aransas, the Dolphindocks boat the Captain Paul will run state water snapper trips on some occasions. They also run trips within 9 miles to the close rigs when the weather permits.

Re: State Water red snapper question [Re: The Zen Master] #13648862 07/29/20 03:37 PM
Joined: Jun 2009
Posts: 8,236
C
Curt0407 Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity
C
Joined: Jun 2009
Posts: 8,236
I did a state water snapper trip in November out of South Padre Island. It was with a guide though. We caught some really nice snapper within easy eyeball range of the island.

Re: State Water red snapper question [Re: Curt0407] #13649224 07/29/20 07:35 PM
Joined: Jun 2010
Posts: 1,254
T
tunatamer Online Content
Extreme Angler
Online Content
Extreme Angler
T
Joined: Jun 2010
Posts: 1,254
Originally Posted by Curt0407
I did a state water snapper trip in November out of South Padre Island. It was with a guide though. We caught some really nice snapper within easy eyeball range of the island.


One advantage to doing a charter is that the structures they are able to concentrate on are smaller and the party boats can't target them for that reason. A wellhead, a shell pad or small wreck won't usually hold enough fish for a party boat but a small boat may be able to pull several nice snaps from it.


"still" awesum
Re: State Water red snapper question [Re: Osbornfishing] #13649799 07/30/20 02:16 AM
Joined: Jul 2020
Posts: 7
T
The Zen Master Online Content OP
Green Horn
OP Online Content
Green Horn
T
Joined: Jul 2020
Posts: 7
Thanks all.

Unfortunately, I have a medical condition that requires access to a restroom, and I do not think I can afford a charter that has an actual rest room.

Originally Posted by Osbornfishing
Most party boats are only permitted for fishing in federal waters. However, there are exceptions. In Port Aransas, the Dolphindocks boat the Captain Paul will run state water snapper trips on some occasions. They also run trips within 9 miles to the close rigs when the weather permits.


I will check out the Captain Paul - I saw their website previously but was unsure about the State Waters thing.

Re: State Water red snapper question [Re: The Zen Master] #13650019 07/30/20 12:53 PM
Joined: Jun 2010
Posts: 1,254
T
tunatamer Online Content
Extreme Angler
Online Content
Extreme Angler
T
Joined: Jun 2010
Posts: 1,254
Originally Posted by The Zen Master
Thanks all.I will check out the Captain Paul - I saw their website previously but was unsure about the State Waters thing.


The Capt. Paul is doing bay trips for now. They will start doing state water snapper trips again in 2-3 months. Snapper fishing in state waters improves when the water cools down.

According to a friend grin


"still" awesum
Re: State Water red snapper question [Re: tunatamer] #13650023 07/30/20 12:55 PM
Joined: Jul 2020
Posts: 7
T
The Zen Master Online Content OP
Green Horn
OP Online Content
Green Horn
T
Joined: Jul 2020
Posts: 7
Originally Posted by tunatamer
Originally Posted by The Zen Master
Thanks all.I will check out the Captain Paul - I saw their website previously but was unsure about the State Waters thing.


The Capt. Paul is doing bay trips for now. They will start doing state water snapper trips again in 2-3 months. Snapper fishing in state waters improves when the water cools down.

According to a friend grin



Funny, I just got off the phone with them and they said the same thing! laugh October is perfect for me!

Last edited by The Zen Master; 07/30/20 12:56 PM.
Re: State Water red snapper question [Re: The Zen Master] #13653470 08/02/20 11:56 AM
Joined: Jul 2020
Posts: 7
T
The Zen Master Online Content OP
Green Horn
OP Online Content
Green Horn
T
Joined: Jul 2020
Posts: 7
I do not think they will let a person bring their own rod and reel - which is the strangest thing I have ever heard...

Re: State Water red snapper question [Re: The Zen Master] #13653560 08/02/20 01:59 PM
Joined: Jul 2014
Posts: 511
I
IslandJim Offline
Pro Angler
Offline
Pro Angler
I
Joined: Jul 2014
Posts: 511
My friend and I used to take our own rods on the Capt. Paul. They rig the hooks and weights per their regulations. Federal waters snapper season ends Monday, 8/3. Sometime after that, they will start 8-hour snapper trips, so the Captain told me last month. ...IslandJim.


I'm an Eighth Day Adventist. On the Eighth Day, God went fishing!
Re: State Water red snapper question [Re: IslandJim] #13653661 08/02/20 04:27 PM
Joined: Jul 2020
Posts: 7
T
The Zen Master Online Content OP
Green Horn
OP Online Content
Green Horn
T
Joined: Jul 2020
Posts: 7
Originally Posted by IslandJim
My friend and I used to take our own rods on the Capt. Paul. They rig the hooks and weights per their regulations. Federal waters snapper season ends Monday, 8/3. Sometime after that, they will start 8-hour snapper trips, so the Captain told me last month. ...IslandJim.



Thanks Jim,

I was looking for State Water red snapper in the fall because I cannot get down there until then. I will check out the Captain Paul and see what they say. Is a medium boat rod with 500-yards of 50-lb braid going to make it for a State Water trip?

Re: State Water red snapper question [Re: The Zen Master] #13653666 08/02/20 04:35 PM
Joined: Jun 2009
Posts: 8,236
C
Curt0407 Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity
C
Joined: Jun 2009
Posts: 8,236
Zen, your boat rod set up should be fine. I actually used heavy bass tackle on my state water trip. All of our keeper fish were in the 5 to 7 pound range.

Re: State Water red snapper question [Re: Curt0407] #13653969 08/02/20 10:07 PM
Joined: Jul 2020
Posts: 7
T
The Zen Master Online Content OP
Green Horn
OP Online Content
Green Horn
T
Joined: Jul 2020
Posts: 7
Originally Posted by Curt0407
Zen, your boat rod set up should be fine. I actually used heavy bass tackle on my state water trip. All of our keeper fish were in the 5 to 7 pound range.


Thanks Curt,

It's a 3-1/2 hr drive and I am hoping to do it a few times this fall. I'm not looking to land any world records but would like to get some good-eating fish.

I grew-up fishing NY/NJ/Conn bays and inshore, then moved to Hawaii and fished there, then moved to Seattle and fished there, then moved to AZ and drove to Sand Diego to fish there! Now I live near Bastrop and have to drive to fish!

I really miss fishing and miss high-quality fresh seafood - so I am looking forward to it.

I used to read Salt Water Sportsman every month - back east when I was a kid I dreamed of moving to Corpus Christi and fishing for speckled sea trout. We had a cousin of the spec called a weakfish - very good eating fish, in my humble opinion.

Now, I am too old and the heat would kill me! laugh

Re: State Water red snapper question [Re: The Zen Master] #13654029 08/02/20 10:55 PM
Joined: Jun 2009
Posts: 8,236
C
Curt0407 Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity
C
Joined: Jun 2009
Posts: 8,236
Some of the best trout fishing is in the fall as the temps become a lot more bearable.

Re: State Water red snapper question [Re: The Zen Master] #13655763 Yesterday at 12:45 PM
Joined: Jun 2010
Posts: 1,254
T
tunatamer Online Content
Extreme Angler
Online Content
Extreme Angler
T
Joined: Jun 2010
Posts: 1,254
Originally Posted by The Zen Master
[quote=IslandJim] Is a medium boat rod with 500-yards of 50-lb braid going to make it for a State Water trip?


Something I recommend you doing if you haven't already .... Put a topshot of 50# mono on your braid so the deckhands don't have to handle the braid when landing your fish or helping you untangle. A 50 foot topshot should be fine. Use and FG knot or Crazy Alberto which is just an Albright knot.


"still" awesum
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread


© 1998-2019 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.7.3