Good luck my fellow peacenik! cheers

“Do not pray for easier lives. Pray to be stronger men.” -JFK
Re: Independent Contractor Status? [Re: COFF] #13647896 07/28/20 07:18 PM
Dan90210 ☮ Offline OP
Jr Deputy Dan
OP Offline
Jr Deputy Dan
Originally Posted by COFF
From the employer's perspective, there are many reasons they would prefer to hire a contractor rather than add a FT or PT employee. Contractors hit the books as an operating expense rather than as a part of G&A. The company saves a lot of money in benefits, employment taxes, etc. It is also significantly easier to fire a contractor than it is an employee. There could also be internal policies they have to deal with through their HR department. A contractor is a temporary position and may not count against the department's head count during a hiring freeze.

To the individual worker, working under the umbrella of a temp or contract firm comes with both benefits and drawbacks. First off, the agency will receive between 20-30% of your hourly rate. If you bill out to the company at $50/hour, you will end up taking home $30/hour. In turn, you would generally receive legal indemnification and possibly a health insurance plan from the agency.

If you choose not to go through the agency, you definitely need to set up an LLC. If your spouse works for a company with a health insurance plan, this may be the best option.

Regardless of whether you go through an agency or through your own LLC, you will be responsible for both sides of the payroll taxes, your quarterly income tax payments, and you will need to track all of your expenses. It would be a very good idea to employ a seasoned CPA and/or lawyer for this.

Bingo!!

That sounds right. It's not what I wanted to hear but it sounds right.

I've got health insurance covered under my wife's employer... Or I will have that in a few days once they filed the paperwork through.

You'rere absolutely correct on why I'm not being brought back as an actual employee. Contractors do not count as permanent head count and with a hiring freeze they cannot add permanent headcount. it's not a malicious thing, like somebody's trying to get over on me, they want and need me back. But freeze means freeze. Does not mean you couldn't loophole in a contractor. It's not additional headcount technically and it's within my bosses budget...

The stuff about the variance in my take home vs. fees from an agency... That is exactly the heart of the matter here.

So an LLC...[censored]. Not exactly what I wanted to hear but it actually makes sense. Also explains why I can't find any clear answers to what I'm trying to do by googling.

Thx peace brother!

Re: Independent Contractor Status? [Re: Dan90210 ☮] #13647897 07/28/20 07:18 PM
C
CCTX Online Content
mapquest
Online Content
mapquest
C
Can you form your own Sole proprietor/single owner LLC? You elect the LLC to be treated as an S-Corp or a single member LLC in your articles of incorporation
Have the employer contract with your LLC
Then you “pay” yourself quarterly distributions
You would then pay taxes on the distributions as personal income

You can set up and register an LLC in 20 minutes. Be sure to choose/register a name that isn’t similar to a preexisting federally taxed entity

$300 to file the paperwork with the state

EIN/Tax-ID within minutes from the federal website

Takes 1-2 weeks for an online corporate checking account.
The online only banks have better interest rates.

If this is an option, very easy to do by yourself.

[Linked Image]
Re: Independent Contractor Status? [Re: Dan90210 ☮] #13647904 07/28/20 07:21 PM
J
JCG57 Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
J
Originally Posted by Dan90210 ☮
Originally Posted by JCG57
As an IC your FICA taxes will double and you will not have company benefits. You should factor this into your rate. You may also want to incorporate if any concerns about legal liability. An advantage is that there are retirement savings options for self-employed that can enable you to defer tax on much more income than a corporate 401(k); you will need a tax ID for these (look at solo 401(k) as something to consider). You can potentially deduct mileage, cell phone, internet and other expenses from revenue to reduce taxable income.

Yup I'm aware that federal taxes are not taken out and benefits of any kind are not provided. I've already cared for that.

That is good information about the retirement savings. I was unaware of that.

However how does one go up setting themselves up as an individual/ independent contractor on their own?

When I did it in the past the company handled all of that for me. That was a PT gig. Can an individual set themselves up as an independent contractor and what would be required to do that?

You will need to request a tax ID from IRS if you want to establish a self-employed retirement plan; easy and fast through IRS website. I set my solo 401(k) up with Schwab - just fill out a form and make employee and employer contributions (you are both) when you wish. You will also need a contract with your client - they likely have a template for this.

Re: Independent Contractor Status? [Re: COFF] #13647916 07/28/20 07:25 PM
Z
Zipster Online Content
TFF Team Angler
Online Content
TFF Team Angler
Z
From the employer's perspective, there are many reasons they would prefer to hire a contractor rather than add a FT or PT employee. Contractors hit the books as an operating expense rather than as a part of G&A. The company saves a lot of money in benefits, employment taxes, etc. It is also significantly easier to fire a contractor than it is an employee. There could also be internal policies they have to deal with through their HR department. A contractor is a temporary position and may not count against the department's head count during a hiring freeze.

To the individual worker, working under the umbrella of a temp or contract firm comes with both benefits and drawbacks. First off, the agency will receive between 20-30% of your hourly rate. If you bill out to the company at $50/hour, you will end up taking home $30/hour. In turn, you would generally receive legal indemnification and possibly a health insurance plan from the agency.

If you choose not to go through the agency, you definitely need to set up an LLC. If your spouse works for a company with a health insurance plan, this may be the best option.

Regardless of whether you go through an agency or through your own LLC, you will be responsible for both sides of the payroll taxes, your quarterly income tax payments, and you will need to track all of your expenses. It would be a very good idea to employ a seasoned CPA and/or lawyer for this.

I do this everyday for a living. I'm in IT staffing and much of what Coff says is true. However, you determine what your pay rate is per hour and contractors usually make more than salaried positions because you are responsible for your own benefits and taxes. The firm will take your hourly rate and add what they call "burden" to it. This only applies if you are W2 to the firm. Burden consists of all payroll taxes, benefits, and workman's comp. then they will add margin or profit to that to get your hourly "Bill" rate. That is where the 20-30% comes in. If you are "corp to corp" then that burden drops down from about 19% to 4% so it is much more cost effective for the client.

There is a way around it though. You can tell your boss to have his firm "payroll" you. you will be W2 to the firm, they will apply a small payrolling fee to your rate and that is what they bill your boss. It costs far less than traditional contracting rates, but saves you having to set up your own LLC.

If you go as an independent contractor you will need an LLC, insurance policies ( that can range as high as 4 million in liability depending on what the client requires) and you will cover all of your taxes, workman comp, benefits, etc. and yes, you will need a good CPA.

Last edited by Zipster; 07/28/20 07:26 PM.
Re: Independent Contractor Status? [Re: CCTX] #13647924 07/28/20 07:28 PM
hopalong Online Confused
Pescador Loco
Online Confused
Pescador Loco
Originally Posted by CCTX
Can you form your own Sole proprietor/single owner LLC? You elect the LLC to be treated as an S-Corp or a single member LLC in your articles of incorporation
Have the employer contract with your LLC
Then you “pay” yourself quarterly distributions
You would then pay taxes on the distributions as personal income

You can set up and register an LLC in 20 minutes. Be sure to choose/register a name that isn’t similar to a preexisting federally taxed entity

$300 to file the paperwork with the state

EIN/Tax-ID within minutes from the federal website

Takes 1-2 weeks for an online corporate checking account.
The online only banks have better interest rates.

If this is an option, very easy to do by yourself.

this ^ ^^ ^ ^ ^^

let a cpa do it for you, they can set up the whole deal in less than a day and DON'T use your name in the llc (liability).

" Hop, set the hook"!
hopalong 99,999
TexDawg 99,999
FJB! not my president by a long shot!

lake fork FISHERMANS COVE MARINA/reservations - 903 474 7479
Re: Independent Contractor Status? [Re: Dan90210 ☮] #13647926 07/28/20 07:29 PM
R
ReelBusy Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
R
Straight up individual contractor is what it is sounding like. If this were a somewhat long term arrangement and you were to go LLC and file as a Sub S corp you could reduce your FICA by claiming a small base salary and the rest as owners equity.

Whaaaat? When did you get married Dan?

Re: Independent Contractor Status? [Re: Zipster] #13647957 07/28/20 07:45 PM
Dan90210 ☮ Offline OP
Jr Deputy Dan
OP Offline
Jr Deputy Dan
Originally Posted by Zipster

I do this everyday for a living. I'm in IT staffing and much of what Coff says is true. However, you determine what your pay rate is per hour and contractors usually make more than salaried positions because you are responsible for your own benefits and taxes. The firm will take your hourly rate and add what they call "burden" to it. This only applies if you are W2 to the firm. Burden consists of all payroll taxes, benefits, and workman's comp. then they will add margin or profit to that to get your hourly "Bill" rate. That is where the 20-30% comes in. If you are "corp to corp" then that burden drops down from about 19% to 4% so it is much more cost effective for the client.

There is a way around it though. You can tell your boss to have his firm "payroll" you. you will be W2 to the firm, they will apply a small payrolling fee to your rate and that is what they bill your boss. It costs far less than traditional contracting rates, but saves you having to set up your own LLC.

If you go as an independent contractor you will need an LLC, insurance policies ( that can range as high as 4 million in liability depending on what the client requires) and you will cover all of your taxes, workman comp, benefits, etc. and yes, you will need a good CPA.

Brilliant info.

Y'all are on it.

I'm thinking if they W-2 me it's headcount. I know there would have been no way I could have made the case that I was not adding headcount if I did that.

Tough options but now I know.

Re: Independent Contractor Status? [Re: Dan90210 ☮] #13647964 07/28/20 07:48 PM
Dan90210 ☮ Offline OP
Jr Deputy Dan
OP Offline
Jr Deputy Dan
Thanks y'all!! A lot of wisdom here.

And a special thank you to John175 and CCTX!

Here is an actual photo of them I have exclusive access to...because I know people often want to know what other brothers on here look like. That's John on the left and Doc on the right.

Ohhhh yeaaaa

[Linked Image]

Re: Independent Contractor Status? [Re: Dan90210 ☮] #13647980 07/28/20 08:00 PM
Z
Zipster Online Content
TFF Team Angler
Online Content
TFF Team Angler
Z
Yes, if you are W-2 to your company you are headcount. If you are W-2 to a staffing firm and contracted back to your company, you are not.

Re: Independent Contractor Status? [Re: Dan90210 ☮] #13647995 07/28/20 08:15 PM
W
WAWI Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
W
PM junkbaits, he knows the ins and outs as he contracts work all the time.

Re: Independent Contractor Status? [Re: Dan90210 ☮] #13648045 07/28/20 08:57 PM
BlueNitro Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
I am an IC as an International Hitman. I can teach you everything I have learned but will have to kill you at some point.

LiftSaver Trolling Motor Mounting Bracket - Patent Pending and LiftSaver Transducer Pole Mount
www.liftsavertmmount.com
[Linked Image][Linked Image]
Works with MG Xi5, Xi3 and MK Terrova, Ulterra, PD V2 and Riptides as well.

Re: Independent Contractor Status? [Re: BlueNitro] #13648075 07/28/20 09:25 PM
C
COFF Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
C
Originally Posted by BlueNitro
I am an IC as an International Hitman. I can teach you everything I have learned but will have to kill you at some point.

Do you file your own taxes, or use a CPA?

Re: Independent Contractor Status? [Re: Dan90210 ☮] #13648078 07/28/20 09:27 PM
9094 Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
I have been an independent contractor for 35 years. Wouldn’t have it any other way.
Yes you have to pay your own FICA in the form of self employment tax. But you can write off most of your expenses if you do it correctly.
But you do have to be responsible enough to pay quarterlies and keep up with expenses.

Re: Independent Contractor Status? [Re: COFF] #13648080 07/28/20 09:28 PM
hopalong Online Confused
Pescador Loco
Online Confused
Pescador Loco
Originally Posted by BlueNitro

Do you file your own taxes, or use a CPA?

his business card says "Larrys Lovely Coffins" llc

" Hop, set the hook"!
hopalong 99,999
TexDawg 99,999
FJB! not my president by a long shot!

lake fork FISHERMANS COVE MARINA/reservations - 903 474 7479
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide