Forums59
Topics1,037,804
Posts13,934,747
Members144,150
Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Troller v Slabber - Etiquette [Re: Tin Star Cajun] #13638317 07/21/20 02:20 PM
P
PKfishin Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
P
50 feet. If that is true boat violate that at PK all the time. If I go out during the day, I'm constantly dodging grankid pullers. In the past this was not the case, but now days weekdays are like weekends and weekends like the 4th of July. Yesterday ( monday) the cliffs marina ramp was a zoo.

John 21:3 Simon Peter saith unto them, I go a fishing. They say unto him, We also go with thee.
Re: Troller v Slabber - Etiquette [Re: Skippy] #13638394 07/21/20 03:19 PM
PlanoKeith Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
LOL I bet you are talking about the Greenville pump station. That is a trolling highway roflmao Everytime i go there there is a Troller in the area .
We don't troll and if there is one in the area i go to another spot on the lake to getaway from them

Keith smile

Re: Troller v Slabber - Etiquette [Re: Skippy] #13638402 07/21/20 03:21 PM
Capt. Michael Littlejohn Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
Great question....

As a guide (and on Tawakoni) this is something that we always deal with.

Here is how I look at it. It’s obvious as we get into the later part of the summer, fishing gets easier for customers when we troll (mostly for white Bass).

If I am going to troll an area that holds fish and there is a boat already there that is slabbing I’m going to move on and try more areas. Or, look for fish on the same structure...just within a reasonable distance away from those who are slabbing). It’s not fair or right to come in on a fisherman and run my big motor over fish that he found first and run within feet of his boat to try and catch them. I should have got their first...and I didn’t so it’s time for me to move on (or....join in with the slabbing technique)

Now, on the other hand if I’m trolling an isolated area holding fish and a fisherman rolls in and decided to drop his trolling motor and proceed to start fishing in or very near the line I’ve been fishing...that’s just not right.

Most likely the fisherman just doesn’t realize where my line is or maybe even hasn’t even noticed that I was even trolling. I like to give fishermen the benefit of the doubt and just simply approach them nicely and let them know where my line is.

Most of the time it’s received well...and a few times it hasn’t. I generally will stay and continue trolling but if it becomes a issue I will move on to another area.

Bottom line, if a boat is trolling a line, don’t come into their line and start slabbing. And, vise versa. However, it works pretty good to join the troll line...just keep moving when u hook up so that u don’t stop the boat behind you.

Michael Littlejohn's Full-Time Lake Tawakoni Guide Service
www.tawakoniguideservice.com
Click HERE for Recent CATCH Photos!

Re: Troller v Slabber - Etiquette [Re: Skippy] #13638680 07/21/20 06:22 PM
P
PaulGrapevine Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
P
Originally Posted by Skippy
Interesting perspective. This is why I asked. I’ve never trolled so I don’t know. If I’d listened to my 14 year old kid, we would have parked right in the middle of this guy’s line. Like I said, I tried to be respectful. All of that said, if he pulls within six inches of me again, I’m going to log with Mo’s idea - tie on a cheap 2 oz slab and toss it behind his boat.

Let me know if you want to learn about trolling. I know a lot of slabbers see it as an inferior way of fishing. Having 3 lines hook up with 2 fish each is fun though. During the hottest times of summer (right now) it produces the most fish for me.

Re: Troller v Slabber - Etiquette [Re: Skippy] #13638684 07/21/20 06:23 PM
P
PaulGrapevine Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
P
Good perspective Capt Michael LittleJohn! I see it similarly.

Re: Troller v Slabber - Etiquette [Re: Skippy] #13638709 07/21/20 06:38 PM
S
spacejunkie Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
S
Hellbender and pet spoons still the go to bait for trolling? Asking for a friend.

Re: Troller v Slabber - Etiquette [Re: Skippy] #13639091 07/21/20 11:11 PM
P
prosise Online Content
Extreme Angler
Online Content
Extreme Angler
P
Had to replace the steering cable in the boat, while picking up parts i had the chance to chew the fat with one of the 5 game wardens in our area. He said the guide did not break any laws, "was he being a jerk, yea". Different rules for pcw's but boats no. That was his words, he said hes busy with drinking boaters and can't wait till deer season. Just a fyi

Good luck and hopefully you will get it taken care of..

Re: Troller v Slabber - Etiquette [Re: prosise] #13639160 07/22/20 12:11 AM
C
chrisc/striper express guide service Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
C
Serious die hard trollers do Not enter boat shows,true live bait guys also rarely enter schooling fish...idiots will always exist. Maybe it does seem to be worse this year than it has been a long time or ever and I think it’s just because everybody’s bored and has went and bought a boat or has plenty of time to hit the water every lake everywhere.I’ve been really pushing let’s teach the next generation better but all we can do is try lead by example and try not to ever let it get to you but nobody’s perfect and everyone has a story! Mo I know the brothers well and I knew who it was before you even said Dave’s name but yes I’ve seen him do some crazy fun stuff “like swim under a boat and pull rod down” he is a riot!

Lake Texoma Striper Guide Chris Carey

Re: Troller v Slabber - Etiquette [Re: Skippy] #13639346 07/22/20 02:41 AM
S
Skippy Offline OP
Angler
OP Offline
Angler
S
Keith, it was Finger Point. It seems to be the go to spot for trollers lately. Up until a couple of days ago, I was catching as many on slabs and tail spinners as the trollers. The last couple of days, it’s been 10:1 in favor of the trollers. Michael, the guide would probably tell you that I saw him catching fish on his troll and just pulled up and spot locked in the middle of his line. If never intentionally do that. I’d tell you that I was watching him and did my best to cast into the area. When that didn’t work, I tried to get outside the end of his line and drop my slab. Did he extend his line 20 yards? Was I inside his line by 20 yards? Who knows? I just wish I could have found a spot like Keith and his buddies and gotten the hell away from all of this.

Re: Troller v Slabber - Etiquette [Re: Skippy] #13639764 07/22/20 01:55 PM
Anejo Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
If I want to fish a piece of structure and there's nobody sitting on it, then it's first come first serve. I'm not going to survey a couple of hundred yards to see if someone is trolling. You can't mark off a 1/4 mile of lake to troll and say nobody else can fish there whether you're a guide or novice.

International Sportfisherman-Champion 220 Bay- Reserva Tequila Sipper
Re: Troller v Slabber - Etiquette [Re: Anejo] #13639945 07/22/20 03:38 PM
M
mickeytfc Offline
Angler
Angler
M
Originally Posted by Anejo
If I want to fish a piece of structure and there's nobody sitting on it, then it's first come first serve. I'm not going to survey a couple of hundred yards to see if someone is trolling. You can't mark off a 1/4 mile of lake to troll and say nobody else can fish there whether you're a guide or novice.

Lots of great perspectives here and the differences show how it just depends on some factors. This post sums it up pretty well for me. I've had more guides roll up on me than guides that could ever think I potlicked on them. Known spots are known spots for pelagic bass, so the first come first serve can be kind of subjective. A lot of times if I have my kids with me, I'm not going to be too rude but if I'm going to a known spot and there's a guide there, I'm still fishing it, not going to get too close. If one doesn't get too close it, ease in with trolling motor from way farther out than most do, spot lock on, it doesn't hurt the fishing and can even help. Of course coming in hot too close can ruin it, just experience. I've had good luck just saying hey it would be nice if you would ease in from farther out next time. They might mouth off or just shrug but they usually do better next time.

To the original post, a few dozen feet is too close so anything inside of that the suggestions to video and send to the game warden, even if he doesn't act on it, I'd bet that would back most off. The whole cast a slab at them has been discussed at length over the years and though tempting, the simple reality is that is could easily be deemed assault and no matter how justified it would be I sure wouldn't want to put a hook in someone with that weight and that velocity. Just do your best to not set up right in his line, but as many said, he can't own a quarter mile of spots if he wants to troll. Thats just the way it is if one wants to choose to troll, which I often do too. Anyway, good discussion all.

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. Henry David Thoreau
Re: Troller v Slabber - Etiquette [Re: Skippy] #13640018 07/22/20 04:27 PM
C
Chris Richardson Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
C
An age-old battle indeed

When guides resort to trolling its time to hit the salt water!

If trollers are making tight loops on a "spot" its probably best not to interfere by locking on top of the fish. If they are making long passes down a contour then they shouldn't expect all other anglers to yield to their lane.

As the water temps rise the lure presentation and boat positioning relative to the school should shift from vertical to horizontal.

In a beautiful fantasy land where jiggers and trollers get along. The troller would hold true to their established lane while the jigger backs off the school far enough to hit the school with a long cast (burn and pause retrieve). The jigger would simply hold their cast as the troller passes over the school and doubles up on the infamous hell/pet combo. Then the jigger would commence to efficiently catch fish while the troller lugs along, opens another beer, and makes a big turn. Rinse and repeat...

Re: Troller v Slabber - Etiquette [Re: Chris Richardson] #13640095 07/22/20 05:12 PM
PlanoKeith Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
Originally Posted by Chris Richardson
An age-old battle indeed

In a beautiful fantasy land where jiggers and trollers get along. The troller would hold true to their established lane while the jigger backs off the school far enough to hit the school with a long cast (burn and pause retrieve). The jigger would simply hold their cast as the troller passes over the school and doubles up on the infamous hell/pet combo. Then the jigger would commence to efficiently catch fish while the troller lugs along, opens another beer, and makes a big turn. Rinse and repeat...

THIS!!!!

Thanks Chris R this is what we do smile

Keith smile

Re: Troller v Slabber - Etiquette [Re: Skippy] #13640109 07/22/20 05:22 PM
Capt. Michael Littlejohn Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
I hear ya…

Common courtesy and respect goes a long way. In the end...we’re all on the lake fishing trying to have a good time.

More times than not I just move on and find new fish if it gets like what’s mentioned above...

Michael Littlejohn's Full-Time Lake Tawakoni Guide Service
www.tawakoniguideservice.com
Click HERE for Recent CATCH Photos!

Re: Troller v Slabber - Etiquette [Re: Skippy] #13640643 07/22/20 11:55 PM
S
Skippy Offline OP
Angler
OP Offline
Angler
S
I took the day off yesterday. Went out this morning, with the intent to find a new place. Tried three spots I hadn’t hit in weeks with nothing. Not even worth stopping. But on the fourth spot, I found the mother load of slab-eating sandies and hammered them with a few small hybrids and big yellows mixed in. Had the place to myself. I guess I should thank the guide for forcing me to think outside the box.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide