Page 1 of 2 1 2
Co-Angler Tournament Etiquette #13638117 07/21/20 12:18 PM
T
TinRangerJim Offline OP
Pro Angler
OP Offline
Pro Angler
T
This subject comes up about every other month or so. This article from Bassresource.com pretty much covers every question a co has, or might have:

https://www.bassresource.com/fishing/etiquette-tournaments.html?utm_source=JULn

"Rip Some Lips"
Nevadan by birth, Texan by choice
Retired USAF, 1966-1989
Jim C.
Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: Co-Angler Tournament Etiquette [Re: TinRangerJim] #13638214 07/21/20 01:23 PM
S
SC-001 Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
S
https://www.flwfishing.com/tips/2002-02-19-co-angler-etiquette
read all the related links below the article too

Re: Co-Angler Tournament Etiquette [Re: SC-001] #13638241 07/21/20 01:40 PM
T
TinRangerJim Offline OP
Pro Angler
OP Offline
Pro Angler
T
Originally Posted by SC-001
https://www.flwfishing.com/tips/2002-02-19-co-angler-etiquette
read all the related links below the article too

That one's good, too

"Rip Some Lips"
Nevadan by birth, Texan by choice
Retired USAF, 1966-1989
Jim C.
Re: Co-Angler Tournament Etiquette [Re: TinRangerJim] #13638253 07/21/20 01:52 PM
J
Jeff From Iowa Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
J
Originally Posted by TinRangerJim
This subject comes up about every other month or so. This article from Bassresource.com pretty much covers every question a co has, or might have:

Keep casts on your side of the boat
The safest way for co-anglers to prevent from becoming too aggressive with their casts is to never cast in front of the driver’s console, which is about the halfway point of the boat. Ask the pro which direction he will be casting and then ask him if he minds if you throw towards the front of the boat, especially if he is paralleling the bank.

This will piss the boater off more than anything, if you cast behind the console while the boat is moving and get snagged the boater has to turn all the way around to get the snag.

I tell my non boaters to cast only in front of the console period, never ever ever behind it if the boat is moving. More specifically I tell them if were going down a bank, (moving) then cast right behind me and work all that water back to the console and pick it up...

A lot of boaters cause their own issues and grief by telling the co they cant cast in front of the console.

Re: Co-Angler Tournament Etiquette [Re: Jeff From Iowa] #13638286 07/21/20 02:04 PM
Brent S Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Originally Posted by Jeff From Iowa
Originally Posted by TinRangerJim

Keep casts on your side of the boat
The safest way for co-anglers to prevent from becoming too aggressive with their casts is to never cast in front of the driver’s console, which is about the halfway point of the boat. Ask the pro which direction he will be casting and then ask him if he minds if you throw towards the front of the boat, especially if he is paralleling the bank.

This will piss the boater off more than anything, if you cast behind the console while the boat is moving and get snagged the boater has to turn all the way around to get the snag.

I tell my non boaters to cast only in front of the console period, never ever ever behind it if the boat is moving. More specifically I tell them if were going down a bank, (moving) then cast right behind me and work all that water back to the console and pick it up...

A lot of boaters cause their own issues and grief by telling the co they cant cast in front of the console.

This is true, you cast out the back and get hung up you are breaking it off or causing a lot of headache turning around all the time.

Last edited by Brent S; 07/21/20 02:04 PM.
Re: Co-Angler Tournament Etiquette [Re: TinRangerJim] #13638307 07/21/20 02:13 PM
9094 Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
After fishing a couple of these over the years as a CO they should write an article on Pro etiquette. There are a lot of good nice guys, but about an equal amount of arseholes that purposely won't let the co have a chance to make a cast, or even land a fish if one is hooked.
Since the Elites and BPT and FLW top tours don't allow COs any longer the so called "pros" in the opens are people that have regular jobs and don't rely on the tournaments to make a living, at least most of them don't. They act a Co is an invader in their boat and don't give them a chance.
Yes the Co should follow a certain ediquette but so should the "pro".

Re: Co-Angler Tournament Etiquette [Re: TinRangerJim] #13638646 07/21/20 05:58 PM
Phoenix_Ed Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
In two years as a BFL CO I had good boaters, only at a regional did I fully understand the term front-ended! However neither of the two that did it to me caught any fish, so it was okay.

One tip I have for a CO, is if fishing soft plastics and you get hung up, break it off and re-tie. Don't make your boater go in to get you loose. I scored a lot of points with my boaters doing this. And the time it took me to re-rig was usually less then getting it loose.

Oh and leave 90% of what you think you need at home, you won't use it!

Wishin I was fishin!! ..............>(((//*>
2021 Phoenix 819 - Mercury 200 4 Stroke - Ultrex
Her name is Novia Número Cinco.
Humminbird Helix 10 Mega DI - Helix 12 Mega SI - Mega 360
PB Largemouth - 9.51 - Toledo Bend - March 2014
Re: Co-Angler Tournament Etiquette [Re: Phoenix_Ed] #13638803 07/21/20 07:44 PM
S
SC-001 Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
S
Originally Posted by Skeeter_Ed
In two years as a BFL CO I had good boaters, only at a regional did I fully understand the term front-ended! However neither of the two that did it to me caught any fish, so it was okay.

One tip I have for a CO, is if fishing soft plastics and you get hung up, break it off and re-tie. Don't make your boater go in to get you loose. I scored a lot of points with my boaters doing this. And the time it took me to re-rig was usually less then getting it loose.

I don't agree with this, don't just assume this, have a talk with your boater before the days starts, every boater I've every drawn has told me not to break off right away, they don't mind going to get the bait as long as your not constantly getting snagged up all day. It also dependent at what level your fishing if it ABA's most boaters aren't going to be such hard @sses that you need to break off behind them but at the Opens or Toyota level they probably will expect you too, again COMMUNICATE with your boater.

Re: Co-Angler Tournament Etiquette [Re: SC-001] #13638927 07/21/20 08:57 PM
J
Jeff From Iowa Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
J
Originally Posted by SC-001
Originally Posted by Skeeter_Ed

I don't agree with this, don't just assume this, have a talk with your boater before the days starts, every boater I've every drawn has told me not to break off right away, they don't mind going to get the bait as long as your not constantly getting snagged up all day. It also dependent at what level your fishing if it ABA's most boaters aren't going to be such hard @sses that you need to break off behind them but at the Opens or Toyota level they probably will expect you too, again COMMUNICATE with your boater.

agree, thats crazy to expect people to break off, if they dont cast behind the boat I can just swerve over and they can walk up front and pop it loose or usually ill pop it loose for them as it seems thats a learned skill....

Re: Co-Angler Tournament Etiquette [Re: TinRangerJim] #13639202 07/22/20 12:45 AM
Neal G Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Does it cover do not crush my rod eyes or cracking rods by stepping on them when you come up front to net my big 2 pounder - sorry I thought it was bigger fish?

Nothing like having 4 or 5 rods taken out of commission for the day or until replaced. Granted stuff happens but some create more of it than others and it can get expensive real quick.

Even with that said, most co-anglers are really good guys and a pleasure to have in the boat.

Last edited by Neal G; 07/22/20 12:47 AM.
Re: Co-Angler Tournament Etiquette [Re: TinRangerJim] #13639353 07/22/20 02:51 AM
J
jiggmann Offline
Angler
Angler
J
Glad I’ve never been you guys co! Sounds like a long day!

Re: Co-Angler Tournament Etiquette [Re: TinRangerJim] #13639388 07/22/20 03:30 AM
S
SteezMacQueen Online Happy
TFF Guru
Online Happy
TFF Guru
S
I did the coangler for Bassmaster 4 years ago. Had 7 boaters over 3 tourneys. Only one was a dick. His name was actually Dick Wayne. Haha. Should have guessed between the Cadillac Escalade for a tow vehicle, the Rolex boat wrap and matching watch, on a Nitro!!! Lol. The dude was a tool and didn’t boat a fish the whole morning...he even asked where me and I boater caught them the day before. He told me I could pay him $20 for each fish I caught. I have him $80 at the end of the day and snidely commented that he didn’t “owe me a dime...since he zeroed”. Lol.

I have fished with a few of the Elite guys. They are very cool, professional, and humble. One offered me to use his hand made prototype whopper plopper that Ish made for him and hand painted. He said just change the hooks first. Then told me to keep it afterwards. He even said I could cast to the front, just don’t hit him in the head. Also had Lee teach me how to fizz a fish with one of his insulin needles he modified.

Most co/pro tourneys are great experiences. Even the guys that couldn’t fish to save their lives taught me some great ideas.

I’ve moved on with the co angler urge, but I learned that being a boater is a responsibility. When I have a co, I treat them as a friend and partner and try to insure that I fish spots that can be fished from the front and back of the boat. I also offer as much of my tackle as practical so that they can effectively fish what I have as a milk run.

Eat. Sleep. Fish.
Re: Co-Angler Tournament Etiquette [Re: TinRangerJim] #13639666 07/22/20 01:10 PM
BMCD Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
I have always been a boater, had prolly 2 Cos that we did not get along during all my years..... and they knew better then me what we were supposed to be doing, which booth of those days it might have been true. I know I have been the guy that was lost on the real pattern, and I know I have spun out on a few days, it happens to everyone.

In 2016 I did fish as a CO in the BFL due to circumstances that year. I really enjoyed it. No pressure, just show up and fish. I was lucky and draw people that were on fish. I was front ended on 1 of those, and only caught 1 fish. but I know he did what he needed to try and win, As I'm pretty sure he had the fish on to win. I learned alot, But most of all there is very little stress on being a co angler, I thoroughly enjoyed it.

I have gotten to watch 3 of my Co angler's win, many more get checks, and I won an event as a Co angler in 2016. And I have won a few event as a Boater, although its been awhile.

Communication is the key, and goes along way in your fishing day. If your there to compete, well you will prolly be disappointed. If your there to learn and enjoy fishing you will have a great time as a Co.

Re: Co-Angler Tournament Etiquette [Re: SteezMacQueen] #13639718 07/22/20 01:38 PM
Okie Poke Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
Originally Posted by SteezMacQueen
I’ve moved on with the co angler urge, but I learned that being a boater is a responsibility. When I have a co, I treat them as a friend and partner and try to insure that I fish spots that can be fished from the front and back of the boat. I also offer as much of my tackle as practical so that they can effectively fish what I have as a milk run.

Steez is quite accommodating until he tries to bet ya $500 for a one on one match....then it's each guy for themselves, ha! I fished with Steez once and had a really good time. He hadn't taken me since.... noidea

I've fished one BASS event as a Co and learned a lot from that experience....that I never wanna do that again! I guess I'm a little too controlling, maybe....

😎 Dallas Cowboys....eventual Superbowl Champions 😎

Re: Co-Angler Tournament Etiquette [Re: Okie Poke] #13639746 07/22/20 01:48 PM
S
SteezMacQueen Online Happy
TFF Guru
Online Happy
TFF Guru
S
Originally Posted by Okie Poke
Originally Posted by SteezMacQueen

Steez is quite accommodating until he tries to bet ya $500 for a one on one match....then it's each guy for themselves, ha! I fished with Steez once and had a really good time. He hadn't taken me since.... noidea

I've fished one BASS event as a Co and learned a lot from that experience....that I never wanna do that again! I guess I'm a little too controlling, maybe....

That was an [censored] whoopin.

Eat. Sleep. Fish.
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide