texasfishingforum.com logo
Main Menu
Advertisement
Affiliates
Advertisement
Newest Members
tlucik77, Fishintomorrow, RC Guide, WrightCoach, Colbydoyle12
113490 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
TexDawg 96,270
hopalong 88,578
Pilothawk 79,995
John175☮ 77,777
JDavis7873 67,400
Bigbob_FTW 66,168
Derek 🐝 64,626
Mark Perry 60,443
Tritonman 58,951
facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums62
Topics777,394
Posts9,859,418
Members113,490
Most Online36,273
Jan 23rd, 2013
Print Thread
well I screwed up #13633619 07/17/20 02:55 AM
Joined: Jan 2007
Posts: 279
Z
zachary00 Offline OP
Angler
OP Offline
Angler
Z
Joined: Jan 2007
Posts: 279
I had my son unloading the boat today. He didn't get it all the way off the trailer and I pulled out. It drug the back end of the hull and chipped right below the drain plug. It looks like its not to bad, but I dont know what to do. I have some marine tex I can patch it with, but I dont know if its insufficient, or not necessary. Please help me fix my mistake.

I do feel fortunate it isn't worse than it is. I didnt realize it had hit the ramp until I loaded back up. It didn't leak, at least from I could tell, but I dont want this to cause the transom to rot.

Attached Files 20200716_213759.jpg
Re: well I screwed up [Re: zachary00] #13633663 07/17/20 04:25 AM
Joined: Aug 2003
Posts: 282
C
CADD Offline
Angler
Offline
Angler
C
Joined: Aug 2003
Posts: 282
I think some Marine-Tex will do the trick, looks like it's only Gel-coat damage


2001 Pathfinder 2200V 150Vmax HDPI
2015 Diablo Amigo (Sand Fleck)

Re: well I screwed up [Re: zachary00] #13633667 07/17/20 04:43 AM
Joined: Feb 2015
Posts: 3,904
F
Flippin-Out Offline
TFF Team Angler
Offline
TFF Team Angler
F
Joined: Feb 2015
Posts: 3,904
I see cracks to the right also. It looks like other chips may be ready to come loose. It is best to get any of those off before you use Marine-tex. Marine-tex over a loose chip won't hold, but if you put it on a solid surface, it will stay there.

Did the boat rear up in the air so that the stern hit the ramp? A little habit I have is to connect the winch strap before the driver pulls the trailer out of the water. It doesn't have to be cranked down hard, just at least with the winch engaged and clipped as a safety harness with just a bit of slack. I've seen several boats come off the trailer at ramps, and it wasn't pretty. That was my motivation to develop that habit decades ago.

Last edited by Flippin-Out; 07/17/20 04:46 AM.
Re: well I screwed up [Re: zachary00] #13633820 07/17/20 12:40 PM
Joined: Jan 2007
Posts: 279
Z
zachary00 Offline OP
Angler
OP Offline
Angler
Z
Joined: Jan 2007
Posts: 279
We were unloading. I leave the strap hooked on until in the water. Got out, unhooked the strap, and pushed the boat back a little. My son tried to back up as I was getting back in. He didn't run it up high enough and it hung on the trailer bunks as I pulled out. I looked back and the nose was up in the air. I should have waited until he cleared the trailer all the way, but I didn't.

He's only 12 and I knew when I started teaching him to load and unload there would be issues. Still sucks when they happen. A little time and the suggestions above have helped ease my frustration. Thanks

Re: well I screwed up [Re: zachary00] #13634003 07/17/20 03:06 PM
Joined: Jan 2004
Posts: 2,254
R
rb7764 Offline
Extreme Angler
Offline
Extreme Angler
R
Joined: Jan 2004
Posts: 2,254
Rough it up and get all of the loose material out with very coarse sand paper. Then marine tex. It will fix that for sure.

Re: well I screwed up [Re: rb7764] #13634544 07/17/20 09:17 PM
Joined: Sep 2008
Posts: 88,578
hopalong Offline
Pumpkin Head
Offline
Pumpkin Head
Joined: Sep 2008
Posts: 88,578
Originally Posted by rb7764
Rough it up and get all of the loose material out with very coarse sand paper. Then marine tex. It will fix that for sure.


let it dry for a couple of days at least.


" Hop, set the hook"!


lake fork FISHERMANS COVE MARINA/reservations - 903 474 7479
Re: well I screwed up [Re: zachary00] #13634675 07/17/20 11:32 PM
Joined: Oct 2016
Posts: 204
Tin Star Cajun Offline
Outdoorsman
Offline
Outdoorsman
Joined: Oct 2016
Posts: 204
Should be an easy fix. Make it another teaching moment for your son. He will some day appreciate knowing how to fix a boat gel coat.


The only difference between a little girls scream and a warrior's battle cry is the direction your'e running!

Re: well I screwed up [Re: Tin Star Cajun] #13634810 07/18/20 02:09 AM
Joined: Jan 2007
Posts: 279
Z
zachary00 Offline OP
Angler
OP Offline
Angler
Z
Joined: Jan 2007
Posts: 279
Originally Posted by Tin Star Cajun
Should be an easy fix. Make it another teaching moment for your son. He will some day appreciate knowing how to fix a boat gel coat.


That is a great idea. Thanks.

Most of my memories with my grandpa were working on a boat or car. I sometimes forget how important the little things are.

Re: well I screwed up [Re: Flippin-Out] #13636861 07/20/20 01:00 PM
Joined: Jul 2011
Posts: 3,209
D
Dubee Offline
TFF Team Angler
Offline
TFF Team Angler
D
Joined: Jul 2011
Posts: 3,209
Originally Posted by Flippin-Out
I see cracks to the right also. It looks like other chips may be ready to come loose. It is best to get any of those off before you use Marine-tex. Marine-tex over a loose chip won't hold, but if you put it on a solid surface, it will stay there.

Did the boat rear up in the air so that the stern hit the ramp? A little habit I have is to connect the winch strap before the driver pulls the trailer out of the water. It doesn't have to be cranked down hard, just at least with the winch engaged and clipped as a safety harness with just a bit of slack. I've seen several boats come off the trailer at ramps, and it wasn't pretty. That was my motivation to develop that habit decades ago.

His original post clearly says unloading

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread


© 1998-2019 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.7.3