Forums59
Topics1,037,804
Posts13,934,747
Members144,150
Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: HDS Live sonar stops working when over 10mph [Re: Flippin-Out] #13631882 07/15/20 07:51 PM
04champ Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
Originally Posted by Flippin-Out

If you do not find it under the dash, talk to whoever did your install and ask "where is my 2D transducer cable from my old system? Did you leave it, or cut it?

This would be my step 1, personally. Well, after looking to see if it was in fact plugged into the graph already.

Alternatively, if its hard to get to the back of the unit you could power it on and look at your data sources and see if it recognizes that theres something connected to both sonar channels

Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: HDS Live sonar stops working when over 10mph [Re: 04champ] #13632022 07/15/20 09:47 PM
rkd Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
Good news-bad news. Ya'll were right-WAY easier to just look at the back of the unit. See pic below. There was ONE blue connector that was not attached-so that's the good news. Bad news is it's a 3 pin so I'm going to assume it's not the 2D cable I need? I didn't see any other cables back there or under the dash.

[Linked Image]

Re: HDS Live sonar stops working when over 10mph [Re: rkd] #13632045 07/15/20 10:01 PM
F
Flippin-Out Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
F
You count the holes in it, not the gold pins. There will likely be 9 pins in that connector on the MFD. The blue collar cable you have there will fit one end of the 9 to 7 pin adapter cable so that you can connect an "old school" 2D transducer. Those 3 pins will line up with 3 of the 7 on one end of the adapter cable.

The HDS Gen 3 only has 2 cables that have a blue collar. You showed us the power cable already, so this one has to be the transducer cable that you need. There aren't any others. Now you just need that adapter cable, and to change a setting on the MFD to get your depth from the 2D transducer you are reconnecting.

Re: HDS Live sonar stops working when over 10mph [Re: 04champ] #13632054 07/15/20 10:06 PM
F
Flippin-Out Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
F
Originally Posted by 04champ
Originally Posted by Flippin-Out

If you do not find it under the dash, talk to whoever did your install and ask "where is my 2D transducer cable from my old system? Did you leave it, or cut it?

This would be my step 1, personally. Well, after looking to see if it was in fact plugged into the graph already.

Alternatively, if its hard to get to the back of the unit you could power it on and look at your data sources and see if it recognizes that theres something connected to both sonar channels

It wasn't going to be plugged into the graph, almost assuredly. That would have required the 7-to-9 pin adapter cable. He paid to have it installed, and he had not bought the adapter, nor heard of it before. When was the last time you heard of an installer who would throw in a $30 optional adapter cable you didn't ask for? They don't tend to donate. Therefore, my bet was not connected. I HAD told him to look under the dash before - right off the bat, in an earlier post. He couldn't seem to find anything, which is when the question went to whether the transducer was even in the boat. He couldn't even tell us if he had one. I believe he was looking for it on the floor in the rear compartment - not even on the hull laminate itself. I described the cable he was supposed to look for, even sending a link with a photo. I did not realize I would have to actually TELL him to look behind the unit to see if it was there. I was trying to give credit as a functioning adult.

Last edited by Flippin-Out; 07/15/20 10:08 PM.
Re: HDS Live sonar stops working when over 10mph [Re: rkd] #13632074 07/15/20 10:17 PM
rkd Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
As always, thanks! Yes, I was counting the gold pins. Like you said in earlier post, I'm not highly boat familiar.....mainly with electronics. So one more not highly boat familiar question...you said "right most" connector should be open. Looking at the back of the MFD (you can see it in the pic) the very last connector already has a cable attached and the other one is open. Do I unplug the last connector and replace with the 2D?

Re: HDS Live sonar stops working when over 10mph [Re: rkd] #13632083 07/15/20 10:26 PM
F
Flippin-Out Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
F
I was going from memory, and may have confused it with connectors on a different unit it seems (probably with Carbon units). Of course, you have a Live model. The connector on the right is for your 3-in-1 transducer you will still get your StructureScan (down & side) from. It will stay where it is. That is the only connector it will fit. Lowrance is very good about making connectors unique. You couldn't plug the black cable into the wrong place if you wanted to as it only fits there.

The adapter cable plugs onto the unused connector 2nd from the right, and the other end plugs onto your blue collar transducer cable.

If you read the documentation, this would have been a lot easier to do, and you would understand a little about your unit. The info on what plugs where is actually in the Install manual that also came in the box, along with an owners manual. Reading them will help. You're going to have to learn how to set the 2D transducer selection, and that's in the manual..

You are almost there. You might look into whether you can get the cable locally, or order online. It's a fairly common cable accessory right now, and there's only 1 like that.

Last edited by Flippin-Out; 07/15/20 10:30 PM.
Re: HDS Live sonar stops working when over 10mph [Re: rkd] #13632105 07/15/20 10:41 PM
rkd Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
As a functioning adult why read manuals when you have Youtube and TFF to get answers for everything!?!? Just kidding. Everyone's help much appreciated. I'll get the adapter cable and actually read how to set up the 2D transducer.

Re: HDS Live sonar stops working when over 10mph [Re: rkd] #13632149 07/15/20 10:59 PM
F
Flippin-Out Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
F
I will be honest that the manual won't have a written step by step for exactly what you need. But, it will have a section on selecting transducers for sonar and for StructureScan. Read over what they have on those topics and that will help familiarize you with what you'll need to accomplish. You can press some buttons, but try to back out of it with "cancel" while you are looking around at menu choices. I do this a lot to learn a unit. One thing you will want to do is to be sure to set the "scope" to "local" or "this unit" (I forget which one the LIVE units have). You don't want "global". What that means is that when you select a transducer, you want that setting only for that unit. Doing this will make sure you don't make a bow unit get data from the transducer in the stern when you change the setting.

Overall, it will help if you read those sections before you come ask questions, or ask someone to confirm what steps you think would do it. To see some things in a menu, remember you have to put your finger on the screen and drag it up to see the things that fall off at the bottom. That bites some people.

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide