Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
HDS Live sonar stops working when over 10mph #13630320 07/14/20 04:12 PM
rkd Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
My newly installed HDS 9 Live sonar quits working (page basically stops scrolling) when I exceed approx 10mph. Depth won't register and screen all but blanks. Resumes like normal once I slow down. Brand new unit just installed so it may be a setting adjustment that's needed?? Transducer is in same position as last unit (HDS 9 Gen 3) and that one worked great. (so I doubt it's a transducer location issue)

Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: HDS Live sonar stops working when over 10mph [Re: rkd] #13630326 07/14/20 04:17 PM
D
Douglas J Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
D
Unless you are running a separate and shoot thru the hull 2D transducer, you won't keep the depth while running

#MFGA
Re: HDS Live sonar stops working when over 10mph [Re: rkd] #13630350 07/14/20 04:32 PM
rkd Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
I have the Active Imaging 3 in 1 transducer mounted on the outside of the hull.

Re: HDS Live sonar stops working when over 10mph [Re: rkd] #13630371 07/14/20 04:41 PM
F
Flippin-Out Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
F
Yes, it IS a transducer location issue. HDS Gen 3 did not have a dual-technology all-in-one transducer. The torpedo shaped transducer you saw outside the hull was for StructureScan only. With Gen 3, you got your numerical depth and traditional sonar from a separate transducer, not the "torpedo". You may have never been aware of the second transducer if you don't understand how it all works. That one is likely inside the boat in the bilge.

WIth your Live unit, you have a 3-in-1 transducer. This means the Torpedo does sidescan, downscan, and traditional sonar. That won't work on plane if your torpedo rises out of the water.
You can still connect the 2D transducer (likely in the bilge) to that unit; hopefully your's is still installed in the boat and the installer didn't cut the cable for it.
You will need a Lowrance 7 to 9 pin sonar connector adapter cable. These are about $30. You have two sonar connectors on your Live unit. The adapter cable plugs into the open one, and the existing 2D transducer cable would connect to that. You would then change a setting for your 2D transducer source; after that, you would again read depth while the boat is on plane. Who installed this that didn't explain all of this?

Last edited by Flippin-Out; 07/14/20 06:34 PM.
Re: HDS Live sonar stops working when over 10mph [Re: rkd] #13630387 07/14/20 04:52 PM
rkd Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
Thanks for the detail. Unfortunately, the 2D transducer was removed and cables cut (or pulled out). New Live ducer was mounted to the same Gen 3 bracket (so no new holes drilled) and all new cables run to unit. So if I read your reply correctly (and I am FAR from an electronics expert) I will only be able to read water depth while at higher speeds IF and ONLY IF I add the 2D ducer back onto the hull? (and then run the adaptor cable)

Re: HDS Live sonar stops working when over 10mph [Re: rkd] #13630427 07/14/20 05:09 PM
F
Flippin-Out Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
F
Yes, that is correct. Whoever did that to you on your install fits into the "fool" category in my opinion. I would not have hurt a darn thing to leave that transducer in place. it was not hurting anything, and it was $80 in value. I'd seriously want them to put one back in at their expense. There is no reason whatsoever for them to destroy that. They're obviously borderline ignorant or they would have connected it, or at least offered you the option.

I'm about to install a 3-in-1 on my boat, and will be doing exactly as I explained to you for the reason you discovered.

Last edited by Flippin-Out; 07/14/20 05:10 PM.
Re: HDS Live sonar stops working when over 10mph [Re: rkd] #13630439 07/14/20 05:16 PM
C
Cuervo Jones Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
C
Never mind. Didn’t realize the 3 in 1 ‘ducer isn’t the same as what I was babbling about. Carry on...

Last edited by Cuervo Jones; 07/14/20 06:06 PM.

“Slide”
Re: HDS Live sonar stops working when over 10mph [Re: Flippin-Out] #13630467 07/14/20 05:41 PM
04champ Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
Originally Posted by Flippin-Out
Yes, it IS a transducer location issue. HDS Gen 3 did not have a dual-technology all-in-one transducer. The torpedo shaped transducer you saw outside the hull was for StructureScan only. With Gen 3, you got your numerical depth and traditional sonar from a separate transducer, not the "torpedo". You may have never been aware of the second transducer if you don't understand how it all works. That one is likely inside the boat in the bilge.

WIth your Live unit, you have a 3-in-1 transducer. This means the Torpedo does sidescan, downscan, and traditional sonar. That won't work on plane if your torpedo rises out of the water.
You can still connect the 2D transducer (likely in the bilge) to that unit; hopefully your's is still installed in the boat and the installer didn't cut the cable for it.
You will need a Lowrance 7 to 9 pin sonar connector adapter cable. These are about $30. One of the connectors from your 3-in-1 transducer will be disconnected (the smaller 2D one) and replaced by the adapter cable. The adapter cable will allow you to connect a 2D transducer that can read while the boat is on plane. Who installed this that didn't explain all of this?

there's only one connector on the 3in1 transducer...

you can connect a 2D transducer (to blue Ch1 w/ adapter) and the 3in1 (to black Ch2) to the same unit, but select the 2D as your data source for your sonar screens if you want to see depth on plane for some reason

this all works the same as the TotalScan on Gen 3

Re: HDS Live sonar stops working when over 10mph [Re: rkd] #13630519 07/14/20 06:11 PM
rkd Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
MY bad.....at least for right now. I TOTALLY misread Flippin's post regarding the difference between StructureScan ducer and 2D puck ducer. You clearly told me I probably had a second ducer in the bilge area and I missed that point. So to clear things up, the externally mounted "torpedo" ducer from the HDS Gen 3 is what was removed. I do NOT have any idea if I have a 2D puck ducer in the bilge but as soon as I get home I will check. I do know for a fact the ONLY ducer I got back was that torpedo with all the cables that run to it. I will cross my fingers that they left the 2D cables alone.

Sorry for the confusion.

Re: HDS Live sonar stops working when over 10mph [Re: rkd] #13630536 07/14/20 06:23 PM
F
Flippin-Out Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
F
No problem. The transducer we are hoping for is typically installed in the bilge very close to the transom, and they are put there with epoxy. This is why we're used to them being left in the boat, even if there is no apparent immediate need. It doesn't hurt, so why not keep it in case you want to use it later. We refer to them as "puck" transducers, but they are really shaped like a spool of thread (without the lips). If you look under the dash, you may see a cable coiled up that has a blue collar on it. If so, that's almost certainly the 2D transducer we're looking for. If it's there, then you can get the $30 7-to-9 pin adapter cable and that will allow you to connect it to the Live unit. You'll still be using the 3-in-1 for your sidescan and downscan, but the 2D source setting in the unit will be changed to the 2nd sonar channel you reconnect.

Last edited by Flippin-Out; 07/14/20 06:38 PM.
Re: HDS Live sonar stops working when over 10mph [Re: 04champ] #13630542 07/14/20 06:30 PM
F
Flippin-Out Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
F
Originally Posted by 04champ
Originally Posted by Flippin-Out

You will need a Lowrance 7 to 9 pin sonar connector adapter cable. These are about $30. One of the connectors from your 3-in-1 transducer will be disconnected (the smaller 2D one) and replaced by the adapter cable. The adapter cable will allow you to connect a 2D transducer that can read while the boat is on plane. Who installed this that didn't explain all of this?

there's only one connector on the 3in1 transducer...

you can connect a 2D transducer (to blue Ch1 w/ adapter) and the 3in1 (to black Ch2) to the same unit, but select the 2D as your data source for your sonar screens if you want to see depth on plane for some reason

this all works the same as the TotalScan on Gen 3

My bad on confusing connectors & transducers. 3-in-1 has one. I'll correct the post.

Re: HDS Live sonar stops working when over 10mph [Re: Cuervo Jones] #13630550 07/14/20 06:36 PM
F
Flippin-Out Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
F
Originally Posted by Cuervo Jones
Never mind. Didn’t realize the 3 in 1 ‘ducer isn’t the same as what I was babbling about. Carry on...

You were correct in a way. They effectively moved his 2D transducer to the torpedo 3-in-1 that isn't always in the water. They should have connected his 2D transducer to the new Live unit (with an adapter cable).

Re: HDS Live sonar stops working when over 10mph [Re: rkd] #13630784 07/14/20 09:15 PM
F
Flippin-Out Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
F
Originally Posted by rkd
MY bad.....at least for right now. I TOTALLY misread Flippin's post regarding the difference between StructureScan ducer and 2D puck ducer. You clearly told me I probably had a second ducer in the bilge area and I missed that point. So to clear things up, the externally mounted "torpedo" ducer from the HDS Gen 3 is what was removed. I do NOT have any idea if I have a 2D puck ducer in the bilge but as soon as I get home I will check. I do know for a fact the ONLY ducer I got back was that torpedo with all the cables that run to it. I will cross my fingers that they left the 2D cables alone.

Sorry for the confusion.

Here's another possibility. What if they DID connect it (unlikely but possible as you'd need that adapter cable they wouldn't just give you)? Look at the back of you unit. Looking at the rear, there are two transducer ports - the the last two ports to the right. Is the last one open, or is there a cable on it? I ask because attaching the transducer does nothing if the correct setting isn't made in the configuration.

Last edited by Flippin-Out; 07/14/20 09:15 PM.
Re: HDS Live sonar stops working when over 10mph [Re: rkd] #13631520 07/15/20 02:48 PM
rkd Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
Sorry, I just realized I posted this on the wrong thread about Lowrance repair. Welp, I haven't checked behind the actual unit yet but I did check for the 2D transducer. I can't see anything in the bilge area that resembles a small transducer. Doesn't mean it's not there. There's an area behind and below the battery charger that I need to gain access to. It's the lowest spot in the bilge area which is where I'm guessing is the best spot for a transducer to be mounted.(I am not overly impressed with the bilge layout/access on these newer Skeeters but that's a whole different topic.) That said, I DID find a cable (pic below) that was thrown in the box with my old transducer. It's got a blue connector end. Any chance this is the cable we were hoping would be behind (or plugged into) the unit??

[Linked Image]

Re: HDS Live sonar stops working when over 10mph [Re: rkd] #13631587 07/15/20 04:02 PM
F
Flippin-Out Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
F
That's a power cable for your removed HDS Gen 3 unit. The red is +12V, the black is Ground, and the Yellow wire is an "accessory wake-up" wire. The yellow wire can be connected to a Sonar Hub (Lowrance audio system) box so that the audio system powers up whenever you turn on the HDS unit that the cable is attached to. Note that the Sonar hub would also have a 12V (red and black) connection, but the yellow wire works as your "automatic switch" to turn on the stereo, for instance.

It's actually good that's not what we were after. Transducers and their cable can never be cut. The transducer will always have it's cable attached, so you don't want that to be "it". When I say you have to look in the bilge, I mean literally the bilge, not just under the back deck. Where we are talking here is the lowest point on the inside of the hull - looking at the hole for the drain plug on the inside of the boat. Think about how little of your boat touches the water when you are on plane. The transducer must be in that small area. It will always be in the center of the boat, in the very bottom at the actual hull with water on the other side, typically rather close to the drain plug. Transducers can't shoot through void areas, so it would never be mounted on any type of void, like a flotation collar built into the equipment compartment of the boat.

There's a lot of stuff to go inside the equipment compartment; therefore, the layout is usually cramped, and there's not a lot that can be done about it. It's a physics thing.

I had asked you to look at the back of the unit and under the dash carefully. Finding a transducer in the rear is good to know about, but solves nothing if it's cable has been cut and removed. If there's a transducer in the boat, you'll need the connector end of the cable that plugs into your MFD or you haven't gotten anywhere. So, forget the bilge for now as you don't really know what you are looking for, and you could mess things up since I'm guessing you aren't highly "boat familiar." First look at the back of the MFD (your new display). If the right-most connector has a cable, that would be your 2D transducer, and there would be no need to look in the bilge, right?

If the right-most connector on the MFD is open, LOOK UNDER THE DASH. You are looking for a black cable with a gray connector that has a blue locking collar. Look closely as they may have folded it up and put a cable tie around it, hiding the connector end. Here is a link for a 2D transducer cable that has an end like you are looking for.
Lowrance 2D Transducer & cable
I picked this one for the connector end. If you have a transducer in the bilge, it is unlikely it will be like the one in the photo. That item is actually for mounting exterior, but the connector is the same.

If you do not find it under the dash, talk to whoever did your install and ask "where is my 2D transducer cable from my old system? Did you leave it, or cut it?

If you do find the cable, you can't just plug it into the MFD. As I said before, that would be when you need to order a 7-pin to 9-in adapter cable.

P.S.: That cable is worth $30 to whoever ends up with your old HDS unit that was removed from the the boat, so don't toss it.

Last edited by Flippin-Out; 07/15/20 05:15 PM.
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide