Humminbird electronics upgrade......DIY maybe. #13630272 07/14/20 03:43 PM
T
texastkikker Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
T
Guys,

Thinking about upgrading my electronics on the ole bass boat. 2005 Nitro 911 CDC that we've had since 2007. probably has 400 HRS on it......maybe

Boat has built in flashers on the dash and bow.....that's how old this thing is. But it is paid for, runs great, and we probably aren't replacing it anytime soon.
Currently have a Humminbird 797c2 with Side Imaging on the dash and a Humminbird fishin' buddy (basically worthless) on the bow which I broke the transducer the other day. The 797c2 has a puck also mounted on the back deck for the GPS functions.......

Looks like all the Helix models have GPS built into the unit so no need for a puck correct?
Looking at getting the following units:
Dash - Helix 9 with CHIRP MEGA SI GPS G3N
Bow - Helix 7 with CHIRP MEGA DI GPS G3N

As far as I can tell the SI units come with DI included.....the DI doesn't include SI.....which I would think is useless on the bow (trolling motor transducer mount).
They all have built in GPS, and I would need the "N" in order for the two units to talk to each other.......I would assume if I make a "mark" on the bow unit GPS it puts it on the dash unit as well ans vice versa.

How hard are these things to install? I am pretty handy and they look pretty straight forward. I should be able to utilize the same mounting location from the 797c2 transducer with a newer model I would assume. The transducers look pretty similar, the new one looks like it would be about twice as long, other than that they look pretty close. I could probably utilize the same mounting holes. We have never had any issues with feedback or prop wash or anything like that.......it was professionally installed. Other than that it is just running wires in the boat which I can pull with the old wires in the same place. Plug then in, connect to starting battery, good to go.

Basically the boat lives in the sling on the boat dock and the trailer hasn't moved for 10 years. It would need new tires for sure, and 3 of the bunks are broken from tree branches falling on them.......I am trying to avoid spending $2k on fixing the trailer too.

thoughts? boat is on Conroe.

Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: Humminbird electronics upgrade......DIY maybe. [Re: texastkikker] #13630285 07/14/20 03:49 PM
T Bird Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
Suggest trying to borrow a 19 or 20 foot trailer for a day or two. Installation should be fairly straight forward on for both units.

Okie by birth, Texan by choice.
[Linked Image]
USAF "Thunderbirds" Alumni 1985-1989

Re: Humminbird electronics upgrade......DIY maybe. [Re: texastkikker] #13630299 07/14/20 03:58 PM
D
David Burton Online Content
TFF Team Angler
Online Content
TFF Team Angler
D
Helix will share Waypoints so you can see them, but you can only edit them on the unit/card where they were created or imported. That is an interesting concept I was not aware of when I started my upgrade project. Just s minor inconvenience really. I set a waypoint on one unit on my Dash that is on Side imaging and can't adjust settings on my other unit that is displaying my primary graphing...

You'll need a graphing chip unless you rely solely on the Basemap for both units. They dont share maps.

You only need one SI unit on the network, so while your bow unit wont be SI, you can still share the SI from the console sand ser it up front. DI is included in all SI models.

David Burton
2015 Skeeter FX 21 +Ultrex +Helix 12 (x3) +Mega360 +MegaLive
Re: Humminbird electronics upgrade......DIY maybe. [Re: texastkikker] #13630311 07/14/20 04:02 PM
J
Jeff From Iowa Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
J
They are easy to install, positive negative with a 5 amp fuse and run the transducer cable. They come with instructions and or they are available online.

I personally wouldnt want one of these newer huge transducers just screwed to my hull, but I have a jack plate and have mine centered under it with a transducer shield mount and wedge. I would have broke it off many times in trees if it were screwed to the hull and hanging off the back.

Id do it on the sling that would be no different than it sitting on your trailer.

Re: Humminbird electronics upgrade......DIY maybe. [Re: texastkikker] #13630454 07/14/20 05:27 PM
C
Cuervo Jones Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
C
As Jeff said, very easy. My boat’s an ‘88 that I’ve had since then. Replaced and upgraded sonar many times. Most recently last week with structure scan units. If mounting to the transom, I’d suggest getting a pvc transducer mounting plate so you don’t have to drill new holes if you decide to upgrade again. They cost $20 or so and will save a lot of pain later on.

“Slide”
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide