Print Thread
The Helios Spinner For Lefties! #13627521 07/12/20 05:48 AM
S
Scuba Chris Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
S
Thanks To John Bretza Of Okuma For Helping Me To Relay This Information Correctly:)

For the past year i've had anglers message me asking why doesn't the Helios Spinning Reel switch to a left handed configuration. So i watch YouTube videos and read descriptions. A few reviews by large tackle distributors & iCast reviews by Staffers told me it can switch over. So a few months ago i requested my first Helios, the Helios SX HSX-40S High Speed model for whipping "spin casting". Since i'm right handed it never occurred to me to try to switch the reel to a left handed unit.

Then more questions arrived of the Helios not converting to a left handed mode. So i tried switching handles & i realized it wasn't switching. I contacted John Bretza of Okuma but he told me his unit went swimming without a wetsuit. So i furnished John with a quick video so he could view what i was trying to convey. After a confab with his engineers they relayed the correct procedure. From what i can tell this hasn't been visually demonstrated yet, until now.

Attached Files 1-Pic.jpg

Traveled the World diving & fishing. Became a ranked billiard player in Asia. Won a few senior bowling tournaments. I travel to the US, Australia & Europe working with museums & doing educational lectures.
Re: The Helios Spinner For Lefties! [Re: Scuba Chris] #13627530 07/12/20 08:49 AM
F
Flippin-Out Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
F
You say the reel arrives with the handle on the left, and you call that a right hand reel. I question that. In all reels I have looked at, including baitcasters that are not convertible, a "right hand reel" is one where the right hand is used to turn the handle. The designation you use seems opposite.

Re: The Helios Spinner For Lefties! [Re: Scuba Chris] #13627597 07/12/20 12:18 PM
J
just plain bill Offline
Angler
Angler
J
i got that reel last summer, and it is awesome! far superior to the previous helios model (dark green). i own 2 of those, and theyare great, but this burnt orange model is tighter, smoother, and it's burnt orange. hook 'em! lol
when i first started fishing i felt uncomfortable reeling with my left hand, preferring reeling with my right. somewhere along the line, during the first week, i discovered i could switch the handle to the other side...bingo!
i did read somewhere that the rod should be in your strongest hand, but every time i watched a fishing show, guys using baitcasters were holding the rod in their left hand.

frankly, i have yet to have a fish even come close to pulling the rod out of my left hand...go with what works for you! smile

Re: The Helios Spinner For Lefties! [Re: Scuba Chris] #13627777 07/12/20 03:15 PM
G
Gitter Done Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
G
Love threads like these. Great questions and reviews.

Re: The Helios Spinner For Lefties! [Re: just plain bill] #13627925 07/12/20 06:12 PM
S
Scuba Chris Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
S
I'm right handed also but i prefer a left handed baitcaster, less switching around. I know a lot of serious anglers who also do this, but not with a spinner.

Traveled the World diving & fishing. Became a ranked billiard player in Asia. Won a few senior bowling tournaments. I travel to the US, Australia & Europe working with museums & doing educational lectures.
Re: The Helios Spinner For Lefties! [Re: Flippin-Out] #13627932 07/12/20 06:20 PM
S
Scuba Chris Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
S
A right handed spinner is designated for your strongest or dominant hand, if your right handed then it's for your right hand. That is the definition that all fishing manufacturers follow. Now for some spinners a new definition is used called "left hand retrieve" or "right hand retrieve". I'm a right hander, under this definition i'd order a "left hand retrieve" as my dominant hand supports the main weight of my rig. This definition is used by Okuma for their Makaira Spinning Reel. Alan Hawk's review of the best spinning reels in the World puts the Makaira over the Stella & Saltist as the best built spinning reel on the market.

Last edited by Scuba Chris; 07/13/20 06:22 AM. Reason: forgot a few words

Re: The Helios Spinner For Lefties! [Re: Scuba Chris] #13628030 07/12/20 08:18 PM
J
just plain bill Offline
Angler
Angler
J
i have the helios 40 on a falcon bucoo medium rod. this setup is super lightweight. no fatigue all day. really like this combo. so, if my right hand is dominant (righthander) and i prefer cranking the handle with my right, and the rig is so light it doesnt fatigue my left, then i'm a hammy camper.
also, i like spinning cuz the reel just hangs down instead of me having to hold it up as i would a baitcaster. all around just more comfortable.

Re: The Helios Spinner For Lefties! [Re: just plain bill] #13628175 07/12/20 10:48 PM
S
Scuba Chris Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
S
Hi Bill,
Yes that reel is super light! The silver color isn't metal, it's carbon fiber covered w/silver paint. So the rotor is light but strong. Because it's soo light you're not getting weight issues. In a few months Okuma is going to release a new family of spinning reels that'll incorporate some new manufacturing advances. Hold on! Also the NEW Cedros 2020 models of the 4K & 6K thats incorporates the same carbon build that the 8K, 10K & 14K has. All will be out soon.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide