South Padre Surf in August: Advice for non-Beginner #13623821 07/08/20 07:45 PM
A
atx_ben Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
A
Hello all --

We will be socially distancing on the SPI beachfront in mid-august.

I grew up free-lining live piggies and walking bone-colored top waters in San Luis Pass/Bolivar. I did some fishing on PINS, but most of my experience is upper coast (north of Brazos river mouth).

We're staying pretty close to Port Isabel on the beach (so, ALL the way down), I was going to take a rig to throw plugs/free-line some baits in the mornings, and two surf rods for later in the day.

A few questions.

> I've been stocking up on flashy surface plugs/mirrolures -- chartreuse, silver, pink, "Texas Chicken", etc. What are the best plug colors?
> Do yall use bone colored top waters down here? Are they any good?
> Are there any good places where I can catch bait with a cast net? It looks if I drive north up the island there's some pretty accessible bay shore -- are there any better places to snag some live mullet, live croakers, live piggy without having to buy them, and without a bunch of people getting pissed at you? I _love_ free-lining live bait, any suggestions for best baits for this tactic in SPI (other than "what you can catch")?
> If I DO have to buy bait, any suggestions of good bait shops?
> I have this wild dream that I'll be able to hit a kingfish or tarpon from the beach. Don't judge me. I have some giant plugs that I was planning on throwing with one of my surf rigs, east coast style. I also have some MAGNUM swim baits (like, 7" long!). Has anyone had any luck with anything like this?

Thanks in advance! if you're SPI local (or, somehow, in Austin), I'm happy to pay you in beer (DM me). Or, I guess, I could totally order you a pizza or something smile Anyway, any help is appreciated

Re: South Padre Surf in August: Advice for non-Beginner [Re: atx_ben] #13623939 07/08/20 09:22 PM
C
Curt0407 Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
C
I have been going there for years. I would suggest the jetty area at Isla Blanca park. Tarpon and kingfish may be possible from the end of the jetty, but you may need to be part mountain goat to carry much tackle to the end. You will have the ship channel on one side and the surf side on the other. Your flashy lures may work on the surf side for Spanish mackerel, jacks, and other predators. On the channel side be prepared for strong tidal currents. It can really get rolling through there. You can have an endless supply of bait ( piggies) on the jetty by taking a light tackle combo and use small bits of shrimp Fishbites on a perch hook,and a split shot under a float near the rocks on either side of the jetty.

There are several pay by the day entrances to the beach as you go up the island past town. If the water isn't too churned up and muddy looking you should be OK. You should be able to pick up bait with your cast net in the surf. There is usually a pretty fair south to north current along the beachfront. Take some sand spike weights and other heavier weights.

If you like pier fishing there is a lighted pier at Port Isabel next to the causeway bridge.

A word to the wise, do not speed in town. They take things seriously on the island.

Re: South Padre Surf in August: Advice for non-Beginner [Re: atx_ben] #13624930 07/09/20 06:51 PM
A
atx_ben Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
A
Do you ever catch snook in the surf, or are they mostly at the jetties?

Re: South Padre Surf in August: Advice for non-Beginner [Re: atx_ben] #13625142 07/09/20 09:33 PM
C
Curt0407 Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
C
The snook that I have caught have been at night on a lighted pier at the condo that I stayed at on the island. I have caught several that way. They tend to like structure. I mainly bottom fished the surf for whiting, red fish, and whatever would bite. I used cut bait mainly.

Re: South Padre Surf in August: Advice for non-Beginner [Re: atx_ben] #13625269 07/09/20 11:16 PM
A
atx_ben Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
A
Nice! I'm excited because, growing up in Galveston, I always had this picture of South Padre as this place where the water was ALWAYS crystal clear, and you caught all these weird species (BONEFISH are being caught there: https://www.texassaltwaterfishingma...-madre-rise-tropical-species-texas-coast). Obviously that's not true smile Thanks again for the tips, anyone else with any advice?

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide