Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
‘03 Ficht 225 HO Neutral Safety Switch? #13620141 07/05/20 11:33 PM
wsimpson Offline OP
Pro Angler
OP Offline
Pro Angler
Is it in the binnacle or under the cowling? Motor won’t turn over and last service at Marine Service commenter that it was sticking. Battery is fully charged, starting Panel is behaving (get the normal lights and audible) but a no start condition. It started once as I exercised the binnacle to ensure it was in neutral but now nothing.

Any info/advice appreciated.

Thanks...

Re: ‘03 Ficht 225 HO Neutral Safety Switch? [Re: wsimpson] #13620497 07/06/20 10:51 AM
S
Skunked Again Fishing Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
S
Under the cowling, where the cable goes into the shifter, you'll see a black sensor. You should hook up the diagnostics software and look at the output of that sensor, or check it with a voltmeter to know if you're in the correct position or not. It may be your starter. You can check the starter by jumping a screw driver across the leads on your solenoid, just to make sure it's turning over. It could also be the switch (bad or something came disconnected in the back of it).

I'm no mechanic, but I've owned the 90 Ficht, and now have a 200 Ficht.
Tim

Last edited by Skunked Again Fishing; 07/06/20 10:52 AM.

One 10-pounder is better than ten 1-pounders; but 100 1-pounders is ok too!
If this kind of stuff floats your boat, be a subscriber to my youtube Channel: www.youtube.com/SkunkedAgain
Get exclusive information by following SkunkedAgain Facebook page: www.Facebook.com/SkunkedAgain
Re: ‘03 Ficht 225 HO Neutral Safety Switch? [Re: wsimpson] #13620531 07/06/20 11:56 AM
wsimpson Offline OP
Pro Angler
OP Offline
Pro Angler
Thanks.

I do have the EVdiags software so I'll check. I put a new starter on it several months ago and ran it a coupe of times before it sat for about three months. Just wanted to exercise it a little on muffs and encountered the no-start. Verified it was in neutral by freely spinning the prop in both directions. I have been having a problem with the shifter having to bump it a little from its neutral position to hunt for both forward, reverse, and neutral which is why I originally had a small, local marine service provider look at it several months ago. They said they made some adjustments, messed with the starter, and commented that the neutral switch was sticky but they lubed it. After picking it up from them, went straight to the lake and after the first run, it stranded me. They also aggravated me with their sloppiness as they left grease hand and fingerprints all over my seats, access areas and my switch panel. Lesson learned - I'll do, and learn, my own motor repairs. I diagnosed it as a starter and replaced it. Ran a couple of times until now.

I'm mechanically inclined but just not much (yet) experience with boat motors.

Sorry for expanded explanation but trying to provide as much info (relevant or perhaps not - I'm not sure) as possible to those offering assistance...

Re: ‘03 Ficht 225 HO Neutral Safety Switch? [Re: wsimpson] #13621750 07/07/20 03:02 AM
S
Skunked Again Fishing Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
S
Originally Posted by wsimpson
Thanks.

I do have the EVdiags software so I'll check. I put a new starter on it several months ago and ran it a coupe of times before it sat for about three months. Just wanted to exercise it a little on muffs and encountered the no-start. Verified it was in neutral by freely spinning the prop in both directions. I have been having a problem with the shifter having to bump it a little from its neutral position to hunt for both forward, reverse, and neutral which is why I originally had a small, local marine service provider look at it several months ago. They said they made some adjustments, messed with the starter, and commented that the neutral switch was sticky but they lubed it. After picking it up from them, went straight to the lake and after the first run, it stranded me. They also aggravated me with their sloppiness as they left grease hand and fingerprints all over my seats, access areas and my switch panel. Lesson learned - I'll do, and learn, my own motor repairs. I diagnosed it as a starter and replaced it. Ran a couple of times until now.

I'm mechanically inclined but just not much (yet) experience with boat motors.

Sorry for expanded explanation but trying to provide as much info (relevant or perhaps not - I'm not sure) as possible to those offering assistance...

There are actually two events, the shifting of forward and reverse and neutral position switch. They’re related, but if the switch is mispositioned, it won’t allow a start. It’s an adjustment that is a little independent from shifting from and to neutral. I replaced my ignition switch for a non start. You’ll just need to go thru diligent troubleshooting by eliminating one item at a time. The service manual is very helpful with procedures like this.
Good luck,
Tim

One 10-pounder is better than ten 1-pounders; but 100 1-pounders is ok too!
If this kind of stuff floats your boat, be a subscriber to my youtube Channel: www.youtube.com/SkunkedAgain
Get exclusive information by following SkunkedAgain Facebook page: www.Facebook.com/SkunkedAgain
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide