Print Thread
LBJ - Kingsland Crappie Suggestions #13618448 07/04/20 03:03 AM
S
sketch Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
S
Headin to lbj for our annual fishin trip. We usually just focus on lmb and whites. But my 8 yr old is on a crappie kick lately and I would like to get him on some while there. Ive seen some tied to the pillars from the kingsland bridge. Figured they were crappie fishin. This a good spot? Any others? Lure/bait suggestions? I usually just let him use minnows on size 1 snell hooks, but jigging for them looks fun. Thanks for any help.

Re: LBJ - Kingsland Crappie Suggestions [Re: sketch] #13618789 07/04/20 03:21 PM
L
leanin post Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
L
launch at bluebriar park... .. get in the river channel and put your sonar on 2d and ride the DROP SIDE of the channel, not the FLAT side.dont use your side imaging because of the way the channel is formed, you will struggle.,., use 2D. you will find piles. also many piles are marked with bouys on LBJ.. not far from bluebriar park theres some underground springs that bubble up and there some underwater stumps that can be good.,., if you stand at the bluebriar ramp facing the lake, the springs and stumps will be to the RIGHT side once u get in the channel.. also there some deeper docks on the lake, look on navionics webapps and see where they are u can find a few fiush under them.. if u keepo going u will eventually come to a low bridge,,. theres fish on the bridge, and theres a crappie fish house right next to the bridge thats heavily brushed out,,. if nobody is there, go head and fish the brush in front of the fish house.
there is a large penninsula shaped piece of land called lighthouse point.,., theres brushpiles all around that point.. good area..

from the bluebriar ramp once u get in the channel and go LEFT, same thing, ride the drop side of the channel .. . piles will be found deeper going this way.

small feather jigs seem to workj good like red/chartruese, orange/chart black/chart and nibbles. better get an early start because once the jet skies come out, u will be just a spectator.

Last edited by leanin post; 07/04/20 03:26 PM.

COMING SOON! .. THE STICKLE HOOK " the stay level sickle hook". sits level in the water with all knots.! Provides better hook sets and more natural jigging motion. No more adjusting the knot, gluing , or tying loop knots that cause the hook point to tangle in the loop, or worse knick the line.. The jighook that will make all others obsolete !
Re: LBJ - Kingsland Crappie Suggestions [Re: sketch] #13618799 07/04/20 03:29 PM
L
leanin post Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
L
ALSO this time of year, baitfish are primarily small.. crappie key in on this fact, so if u get minnows, get the smallest u can find..

COMING SOON! .. THE STICKLE HOOK " the stay level sickle hook". sits level in the water with all knots.! Provides better hook sets and more natural jigging motion. No more adjusting the knot, gluing , or tying loop knots that cause the hook point to tangle in the loop, or worse knick the line.. The jighook that will make all others obsolete !
Re: LBJ - Kingsland Crappie Suggestions [Re: sketch] #13619157 07/04/20 09:46 PM
S
sketch Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
S
Appreciate it! What size/type hooks do you use for minnows?

Re: LBJ - Kingsland Crappie Suggestions [Re: sketch] #13619595 07/05/20 03:19 PM
L
leanin post Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
L
number 2 long shank , eagle claw light wire. strong enough to hold a good fish but will bend if u get hung up, then just reshape it..

Last edited by leanin post; 07/05/20 03:21 PM.

Re: LBJ - Kingsland Crappie Suggestions [Re: sketch] #13619625 07/05/20 03:44 PM
L
leanin post Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
L
the bobby garland 2 inch baby shad, has been good for me lately in a chartruese with gold sparkle. the crazy angler smallest size slab bandit, texas toast, pink and white mello yello,, , the constant pursuit frog, and thump chubby are all good choices for plastics right now.. I think they resemble a pregnant minnow or shad, and crappie cant pass them up. crappie can be very particular in what they want from day to day.. its all part of the game.. once u figure out what they want, its nirvana... sometimes it dont matter but usually it does,.
for hair jigs a 1/32 oz, 1/16 oz jig tied on a loop knot is going to get u bit. always tip with berkley crappie nibble. I always put a 1/16 or 1/8 oz pinch sinker abt 8 inches above the jig. or heavier if its real windy.

Re: LBJ - Kingsland Crappie Suggestions [Re: sketch] #13619650 07/05/20 04:04 PM
Whaler-170 Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
I don’t want to highjack anyone’s thread, but leanin post seems to be very knowledgeable on LBJ. My wife, kids and I are also going down in a week for some r&r. My kids are all about Crappie fishing now. I could use some advice as well from the 1431 bridge area if possible. The kids will be up early wanting to drop a jig. Thanks in advance, Cody.

Re: LBJ - Kingsland Crappie Suggestions [Re: sketch] #13620757 07/06/20 02:36 PM
S
sticknstring Offline
Angler
Angler
S
Whaler- the 1431 bridge area isn’t super productive for crappie. Most of this area is pretty shallow- watch out for rocks on the llano. You can pull your boat up to the llanorado bait shop and pick up a dozen or two of minnows for the kiddos-Live bait always seems to keep the kids interest up. Pull up to some of the underwater lighted docks after nightfall( there won’t be any wakeboats or jet fleas running by then). You should get into some crappie, LM, whites, or catfish. If you insist on jigs- bluebriar is the best bet(it’s a long way from 1431) In the 1431 area, colorado side has much deeper , bigger docks- with a little luck you might get into them. There are some under the 1431 and 2900 bridge too.

Re: LBJ - Kingsland Crappie Suggestions [Re: sticknstring] #13620785 07/06/20 02:55 PM
L
leanin post Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
L
Originally Posted by sticknstring
Whaler- the 1431 bridge area isn’t super productive for crappie. Most of this area is pretty shallow- watch out for rocks on the llano. You can pull your boat up to the llanorado bait shop and pick up a dozen or two of minnows for the kiddos-Live bait always seems to keep the kids interest up. Pull up to some of the underwater lighted docks after nightfall( there won’t be any wakeboats or jet fleas running by then). You should get into some crappie, LM, whites, or catfish. If you insist on jigs- bluebriar is the best bet(it’s a long way from 1431) In the 1431 area, colorado side has much deeper , bigger docks- with a little luck you might get into them. There are some under the 1431 and 2900 bridge too.

yes, putting the young kids in charge of minnow selection and capture is a great way to keep them occupied. put some minnows in a wide pail, and give them a little net and let them catch the minnows for u... they really enjoy this.!

Re: LBJ - Kingsland Crappie Suggestions [Re: sketch] #13621076 07/06/20 05:40 PM
Whaler-170 Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
Thank you sticknstring and leanin post I do appreciate the advice. I have more fun watching kids catch fish than I do catching. Pretty much all we do is jig fish and started shooting docks this year. It’s been fun watching them learn to shoot jigs.

Re: LBJ - Kingsland Crappie Suggestions [Re: sketch] #13622566 07/07/20 08:02 PM
S
sketch Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
S
Went out last night and caught some on lights up the colorado. Bought some minnows by the 1431 today and let the boy catch crappie, whites, and bluegill under 1431. It was a good day. Time for a nap and get back at em tonight. Thanks guys!

Re: LBJ - Kingsland Crappie Suggestions [Re: sketch] #13622633 07/07/20 08:39 PM
Whaler-170 Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
Thanks for the update sketch. Good luck to y’all !

Re: LBJ - Kingsland Crappie Suggestions [Re: sketch] #13625905 07/10/20 02:55 PM
S
sticknstring Offline
Angler
Angler
S
Glad it worked for ya Sketch! Nothing much better than having the kids catching!! When I got on this thread , it brought me back to the days when my girls used to look so forward to going out on LBJ at night with minnows! Those were awesome times! I’m moving one to college in another month.... they grow fast!! You’re doing it right- enjoy every stage of their lives cause it doesn’t last long enough. thumb

Re: LBJ - Kingsland Crappie Suggestions [Re: sketch] #13626631 07/11/20 03:15 AM
S
sketch Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
S
Thanks for the kind words. It was a good 5 days down there. We never caught giants but caught lots of numbers of all species. Fished LBJ at least a week or 2 every year since 2005 and it amazed me to see the number of boaters out during the week. It was a little scary at times, especially tied up under the bridge and them blowing through the no wake zone. Saw one pulling two lil ones on a tube and they nearly ran em into the railroad pylons. Despite the craziness, we had a good time and am ready to go back. I'll take 100 degrees on the water in humidity over our 100 degree 25 mph south wind dirt blowing anyday lol. To say the least, my boy was not happy to come home and has asked at least 5 times already when we are going back. Hopefully sooner than later. He'll just have to settle for our local lake til then. Thanks again for the input and advice. It was greatly appreciated.

Best Regards and tight lines,

Matt

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide