Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Article 30 - Bass at Night #13619095 07/04/20 08:39 PM
Donald Harper Offline OP
TFF Guru
OP Offline
TFF Guru
Article 30 - Bass at Night
As the water temperature rises more and more fish become nocturnal feeders. Catching Bass is still very difficult on large reservoirs at night. I have fished nights on end and not done very well on large lakes. It becomes just like the day time fishing; you must stay in touch with the best areas and fish for them on a consistence basis as guides do. Fishing large bodies of water at night especially when dock owners have the Green Lights out in front of the docks to attract minnows and bait fish will produce twice the number of bites that day time hours will provide. The Working Man’s Tournaments have become very popular in Texas and calls for the same irregular areas that day time fishing will call for. Look for areas that have deep water close by with irregular contour lines from the channel to the shallows. Work the corners of the Dam, Creek channel slams, river slam flats, inside bend of creeks, bridge embankments, remote areas, funnel points, cove blockers, humps, islands, heavy cover, runs of grass and ledges. Your Bass are coming to the shallows at night to feed during low light and a drop in the surface temperature. I want to say right here that I truly believe that 90% of Big Bass are nocturnal. Bass are given God’s gift of being able to hunt down their pray with accuracy. If you are missing the strikes at night then something is wrong with your presentation. A good size trailer hook is always a good backup plan until you get it figured out. Bass at night are there for one purpose and that is feeding. If they really want the bait then it will be, a fish ON. There are a few reasons why Big Bass are hard to catch during daylight hours. The heavy pressure from boaters, fisherman and light penetration will quickly move the Bass to a different water table.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Fishing for Big Bass during late night gives quite a few advantages as opposed to fishing during the day. We must understand that bigger Bass tend to be much more elusive during the day time, and will roam the water and feed more throughout the night. Bass have a fixed iris, which is the main reason why they don’t like direct sunlight. It takes them a while to get used to the low light conditions after sunset before they start to roam the shallower water. Try to avoid off colored lakes. Clear water with a visibility of 3 to 4 feet is ideal for night fishing for bass. The amount of natural light should direct your lure color selection. On very dark nights with little to no moon, choose solid black, brown, red/black, blue/black, or green/black. Fishing with a bright moon or on a clear night, switch over to brighter color combinations. Colors such as white, green/orange or even red/chartreuse have taken many fish over 10 lbs. In the dark of the night, bass feed purely off the sensors in their lateral lines. Rig up the Colorado bladed spinner baits, big jig, buzz bait, big top water, frogs and big worms for the best 6 selections. This is an attempt to put out a lot of vibration; but try to minimize how much you work them. Sometimes at night, slow and steady will be the ticket.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

• This is my best advice for catching the most Bass over 10 pounds at night. Get off the larger lakes. Locate and get permission to fish every small body of water that you can find which includes large ponds. Learn to trade your work skills to gain your permission and be sure to communicate your ability to be a conservationist. You are able to follow the rules of catching these huge Bass by the Old Masters that were so successful when not on public waters. Fish farm ponds, lakes, and old Oxbow lakes; all of which generally receive the least amount of fishing pressure. Fish either from the bank, from a boat or by wading. They’re usually heavily stocked with bass and rarely have anglers who use the tackle and techniques required to catch very big Bass. It is also a lot of fun to build your sneak boat to confine your movement and noise levels while fishing these smaller bodies of water. I like fishing with a partner for safety reasons; so consider putting together a rig that will accommodate two anglers.
Too much bait noise is not good. Bass can feel and hear subtle movements of lures without clack and rattles. Just an adequate presentation often works better than loud artificial noises when fishing for pressured, leery Bass in clear calm waters. It is best to avoid illumination of lights on the boat when possible and legal. It is my feeling that anything unnatural will alert Bass and cause them to flee. I wouldn’t use a black light at night, or any other light, except when necessary in the bottom of the boat for a few seconds. Netting a huge Bass calls for a light!! Use equipment with the power to set the hook and to get the fish out of the cover and into your boat.

You will enjoy reading these articles about some of these Old Masters to learn all the Secrets of night fishing and some of the research that has been done to give us some statistics. Here are a few to get you started on a new fishing adventure like no other.

- Pat Cullen from Georgia Lakes.
https://www.gon.com/fishing/1113-giant-bass-and-counting
https://www.bassmaster.com/node/39506

- LJ Brasher from Alabama Lakes.
https://www.outdoorhub.com/how-to/2014/06/23/nighttime-fishing-summer-lunker-bass/
http://www.nighthawkpublications.com/journal/357/journal_1.htm

- Research – Guides, Pros and John Hope
https://tpwmagazine.com/archive/2015/jul/ed_3_nightfishing/index.phtml
https://www.in-fisherman.com/editorial/night-fishing-largemouth-bass/156376
https://www.bassresource.com/fishing/night_bass_fishing_tips.html

Last edited by Donald Harper; 07/04/20 08:53 PM. Reason: add pic.

Each person you work with holds some promise to your future success.
Websiite Sponsors:
www.eletewater.com - Staying Hydrated
www.lakeoviachic.com - Booking Mexico Trips
20 Hot Spot Mapping - GPS Contour Chips - Custom Spinner Baits - Jigs -Spooks
Pure Extracts - Minnow-Night Crawler-Crayfish-Craylic

Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: Article 30 - Bass at Night [Re: Donald Harper] #13619131 07/04/20 09:22 PM
H
Hair Jig Offline
Angler
Angler
H
VERY nice article. cheers

Healed by Grace and trying to stay that way
Re: Article 30 - Bass at Night [Re: Donald Harper] #13619277 07/05/20 12:10 AM
H
Hair Jig Offline
Angler
Angler
H
We just moved to Weatherford 18 months ago ... coming from east Tennessee. I can't understand why more folks in this area don't fish at night. Especially with the summer temperatures here. In Tennessee my boat never saw daylight from April to September, as did most of the other folks there. It is more peaceful, cooler, and the fishing was better.

Re: Article 30 - Bass at Night [Re: Donald Harper] #13619280 07/05/20 12:13 AM
C
Cuervo Jones Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
C
Here’s a good video on lures and techniques too:
https://youtu.be/K1fyNIMfy7E
Edited to clarify that it’s a video by the guys at Tactical Bassin’ and it’s a really good overview of some “out of the box” ideas beyond spinnerbaits and jitterbugs. These guys are enthusiastic and have some good information along with the tried and true. Worth checking out if you’re stuck inside on hot days like today!

Last edited by Cuervo Jones; 07/06/20 02:43 PM.

“Slide”
Re: Article 30 - Bass at Night [Re: Donald Harper] #13619332 07/05/20 01:59 AM
S
SteezMacQueen Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
S
This needs to be a whole separate book! I need help night fishing. Lol

Eat. Sleep. Fish.
Re: Article 30 - Bass at Night [Re: SteezMacQueen] #13619358 07/05/20 02:57 AM
C
coachallentca Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
C
Originally Posted by SteezMacQueen
This needs to be a whole separate book! I need help night fishing. Lol

you and me both...

Re: Article 30 - Bass at Night [Re: Donald Harper] #13619382 07/05/20 04:10 AM
banker-always fishing Offline
Pumpkin Head
Pumpkin Head
Yet another solid post. Thanks for sharing. cheers

[Linked Image][Linked Image]

IGFA World Record Rio Grande Cichlid. Lake Dunlap.

John 3:16

Sinner's Prayer. God forgive me a sinner. I accept Jesus Christ as my Savior !
Re: Article 30 - Bass at Night [Re: Donald Harper] #13619405 07/05/20 05:14 AM
B
Bobby Milam Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
B
With these high temps I have stopped fishing Summer during the day. My largest fish have come at night, little to no other boat traffic and comfortable temps. I don't know why anyone fights the heat during the day. I guess it was easier when I was younger.

Re: Article 30 - Bass at Night [Re: banker-always fishing] #13619658 07/05/20 04:13 PM
F
F4 Gator Online Content
Extreme Angler
Online Content
Extreme Angler
F
Originally Posted by banker-always fishing
Yet another solid post. Thanks for sharing. cheers

x2 thumb

[Linked Image]

Phormer Phantom Phlyer
Re: Article 30 - Bass at Night [Re: Donald Harper] #13619897 07/05/20 08:36 PM
T
TxDanFishMan Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
T
Great article and some good tips.

My two largest bass were both caught while night fishing.
I've caught fish on buzz baits, top water plugs, spinner baits and some crank baits at night but I think a big black worm or craw will catch more fish than anything else.

Slide right, coming in .... Fish On!
Re: Article 30 - Bass at Night [Re: Donald Harper] #13620204 07/06/20 12:45 AM
ReelSlow Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
nice one

Last edited by ReelSlow; 07/06/20 10:28 AM.

GOD is good!
Re: Article 30 - Bass at Night [Re: Donald Harper] #13620246 07/06/20 01:17 AM
H
Hair Jig Offline
Angler
Angler
H
I think he should be commended for taking the time and effort to give his views on this and other subjects.

Re: Article 30 - Bass at Night [Re: Donald Harper] #13620686 07/06/20 01:52 PM
S
Skunked Again Fishing Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
S
Night time fishing, now that's something I really need to learn. thanks for posting.
Tim

One 10-pounder is better than ten 1-pounders; but 100 1-pounders is ok too!
If this kind of stuff floats your boat, be a subscriber to my youtube Channel: www.youtube.com/SkunkedAgain
Get exclusive information by following SkunkedAgain Facebook page: www.Facebook.com/SkunkedAgain
Re: Article 30 - Bass at Night [Re: Donald Harper] #13620922 07/06/20 04:11 PM
D
dpdpete Offline
Angler
Angler
D
Thanks again Donald for another informative post!

Re: Article 30 - Bass at Night [Re: Donald Harper] #13620969 07/06/20 04:38 PM
B
bassmanrudy Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
B
Another great article!! Nighttime fishing can be insane as you have almost ZERO idea HOW BIG the bass is when it hits!!

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide