Print Thread
Shore fishing for striper Lewisville #13617889 07/03/20 04:03 PM
T
THowell Offline OP
Green Horn
OP Offline
Green Horn
T
Hey guys, looking for some advice fishing for striper from shore at lake Lewisville. I plan to be fishing from the barge, if anyone knows this place. (fantastic striper fishing in this area when trolling or balloon fishing with shad). I don't have access to a boat this evening so thought I may give shore fishing a try. I'll go ahead and list what I already have planned, and hopefully some of yall will have some more advice for me!

1. My first thought is using an umbrella rig ( but with only one hook as I don't have equipment to handle multiple fish if I end up with hybrids on the line). Thought maybe slow rolling it in from different depths to see if I can find some schooling underneath. My rig should be able to cast this set up 30+ yards so I can cover a lot of water.

2. My second thought was casting out a sassy shad on a 3/4oz weighted head. Maybe just let it sink all the way down and slowly retrieve it up through a range of depth. I've heard shad like to corner their bait and supposedly this method works well to lure the fish out from deeper water. I've been told to get as much distance as possible and continue the retrieve all the way back to shore and wait a few seconds before pulling up as apparently the striper love to ambush them and hit within a matter of feet from shore.

3. Third thought was using a little george. I've had good luck with this casting from a boat to catch sandies, stripers, and hybrids. Figured I'd give this a shot too and see what happens from shoreline.

If anyone has any other tips, I'm all ears. Making a trip to academy on the way out to the lake this evening and would like to pick up an array of different things to use!

Re: Shore fishing for striper Lewisville [Re: THowell] #13618128 07/03/20 08:40 PM
O
oakpointaggie Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
O
No striper in Lewisville. Only sandbass and Hybrid Striped Bass if that's what your really talking about. You may be able to catch some from shor early in the morning but it's going to be tough

Re: Shore fishing for striper Lewisville [Re: oakpointaggie] #13618293 07/03/20 11:44 PM
F
FishKiller Offline
Angler
Angler
F
Originally Posted by oakpointaggie
No striper in Lewisville. Only sandbass and Hybrid Striped Bass if that's what your really talking about. You may be able to catch some from shor early in the morning but it's going to be tough

Not exactly true. I grew up fishing that lake and have caught hundreds of sandies and hybrid stripers out of it. In the early and mid 90's we started finding schools of stripers and caught them regularly in the 4lb to 10lb range. I haven't fished out there in a number of years so maybe they have been caught out. But they were definitely in the lake.

As far as bank fishing you can use dead cut shad as bait. Cast out as far as you can from the bank and wait. Oakpoint is right about the mornings. Usually the best time for them. Right at day break or during the night. Hybrids are schooling scavengers. They will eat everything.

Now I tend to do more roaming on Lake Palestine catching Hybrids on a regular basis. Here is a 6lb Hybrid caught the other day.

[Linked Image]

Re: Shore fishing for striper Lewisville [Re: THowell] #13619017 07/04/20 06:57 PM
Mark C Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
Yeah sandies and hybrids are going to be tough from the bank right now. This time of year they're on main lake humps and ridges around 25 - 35 ft. You would do better fishing for catfish or even largemouth.

And I haven't seen a pure striper in Lewisville in probably 20 years at least.

Originally Posted by TexasBlonde
You are not a good or nice person.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide