texasfishingforum.com logo
Main Menu
Advertisement
Affiliates
Advertisement
Newest Members
Cameron Gose, Jetskirentals512, Flashin Assassin Lures, SoonerTex0623, Bobby J.
119181 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
hopalong 121,013
TexDawg 119,783
Bigbob_FTW 95,321
John175☮ 85,918
Pilothawk 83,274
Bob Davis 82,326
Mark Perry 72,486
Derek 🐝 68,321
JDavis7873 67,416
Forum Statistics
Forums59
Topics1,038,879
Posts13,954,696
Members144,181
Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Re: Grapevine Sandies [Re: JWC Nauticstar] #13606973 06/24/20 10:37 PM
P
prosise Online Content
Extreme Angler
Online Content
Extreme Angler
P
Fishing tough for sandies today. Mud lines are everywhere and bait are holding in them.. main point was tough.. not much surface action seen with the bird blue skies. Maybe 10 and only 2 were nice.. Saw a cedar tree on the bank, so we had brush planting lessons..

Gps coordinates in pictures. Should hold some bass this summer.. In @@ 25ft now,.
At the left west point of the cove in front of the private hoa dock. Lowrance gps coordinates.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Re: Grapevine Sandies [Re: JWC Nauticstar] #13611344 06/28/20 10:23 PM
P
prosise Online Content
Extreme Angler
Online Content
Extreme Angler
P
Video after the two small rain cells past thru.
Video

Windy and did I mention it was windy. Cruised lake to the beach, thought i would pick up some shad and caught 6 sandies in the first throw of the cast net. 3ft of water dead center of the beach. 4 were over10 one was@15", all returned. After we picked up a dozen shad we worked the beach for about 20 min with no takers. Upper half of lake is still stained, beach is pretty bad. Beach is completely covered over with water again, & shad moved up into the grass for cover. Looked at several areas and fish seen in the 20ft range. Came down to murrell area and anchored up, winds blowing 25 with gusts over 30. Really rough and rollers coming over the front several times. Carpet never looked cleaner. Caught @ 12 keepers but it was work fighting the waves. Not much seen down in the clearer water, lots of bait in the Murrell area up shallow. Finally started looking around and seeing good fish over by the area between sand bass boat ramp (under water) and the island but they are hard to satisfy. Dead sticking a jig caught a couple small, but sunday boat traffic was killing me with waves... Think there are some fish near Murrell area, but they are not in big groups. I like wind and clouds, but over 25mph makes me back off a bit for safety. Going out tonight or in the mid morning to look around, might try some tiny traps up the lake in the beach area. Thinking about some lights if wind settles down. BTW: Did catch 3 cats at murrell, one got off when it tried to spool me (big one). Shad working good.

Take care and hope to have a better report tomorrow.. fished from 10:30-3:40 and was tougher than normal. Didnt work the windy banks due to the safety factor..

Prosise

Picture of the Beach: [Linked Image]

Last edited by prosise; 06/29/20 11:52 AM.
Re: Grapevine Sandies [Re: JWC Nauticstar] #13612147 06/29/20 04:34 PM
S
Slick Rick ‘06 Online Content
Angler
Online Content
Angler
S
Yep. The wind was howling. I couldn't overcome the wind with my 15 year old Motorguide, but Whoa! Those are mega white bass from your earlier posts. I may have to take a trip over to Grapevine soon. Nice job and great posts.

Last edited by rhuff99; 06/29/20 04:37 PM.

You ain’t gonna catch any sittin’ on the couch.
Re: Grapevine Sandies [Re: JWC Nauticstar] #13612423 06/29/20 08:13 PM
J
JWC Nauticstar Offline OP
Angler
OP Offline
Angler
J
Yeah, it got nasty. I will sit out this weekend after the holiday to go back. Palo Pinto is calling me again.

Re: Grapevine Sandies [Re: JWC Nauticstar] #13614453 07/01/20 06:45 AM
P
prosise Online Content
Extreme Angler
Online Content
Extreme Angler
P
6-30. BTW : Anchoring with the high winds.. Dont have a spot lock.. Man i need a Minn Kota (have 18ft cahampion 24 or 36v?)

Good Day, but it was windy windy windy. Not as bad as yesterday, we skipped yesterday with the 25 and gusts over 30. Went up to the beach and shad is easy to get, thick at the sandy beach (small to large).. Cruised down to the point at murrell and started catching fish @ 3pm and it slowed down about 7pm. Mason caught some fat fish today.. Cast as far as you can up on top of the hump, drag the spoon and you catch a fish.. Nothing kept today, had a good time and after sunset the wind laid. Setup for catfish but no takers.. Mason had his first nap on the boat at night, left around 11:45 and just wrapping up the boat now. Going for a 4-5 hr sprint tomorrow, hope the wind eases up.. At one point mason took a break, I would cast one rod and while it was sinking to the bottom I would fish another. I would repeat this for about 20 minutes, and then I caught a Coors Light Beer Can. What a trophy Prob caught 80ish... Some schooling seen on windy banks, a gentleman we saw ran into some. He said they were all 4-5 inches.. we didn't see any topwster action in the rough water.. Be careful in the big rollers when you go up to the upper end (north side).
Video Fishing

{Pic Heavy}
Mason standing on the Beach
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Last edited by prosise; 07/01/20 03:31 PM.
Re: Grapevine Sandies [Re: JWC Nauticstar] #13615612 07/01/20 11:54 PM
P
prosise Online Content
Extreme Angler
Online Content
Extreme Angler
P

Last edited by prosise; 07/02/20 12:04 AM.
Re: Grapevine Sandies [Re: JWC Nauticstar] #13615621 07/02/20 12:04 AM
P
prosise Online Content
Extreme Angler
Online Content
Extreme Angler
P
Good day, wind was nice at @ 15ish. Launched at 11 am and went exploring on a couple banks with Mason and we found some cool items along the bank.. Headed down & anchored at 2pm at the end of the point and Masons first cast caught a fish.. Saw what looked like a guide boat and waved them over, If you are a guide and see my brown boat on the point come on over. Get the people on the fish!!!! The boat turned out to be a firefighter who purchased a 74 maco from a guide and we all started catching fish.. Allot of people ask what we use (SEE FIRST PICTURE) we found these silver spoons early in the year down on the creek. You can buy them at Walmart & Academy pretty cheap. I finally ended up buying some and picked up the large, but took the big treble hook off and replaced with a small hook. I run a 15lb leader about 16" with a small swivel, since we catch some big catfish it helps with the abuse. I have some real nice spoons but surprisingly they do not do as good. The wobble is better on these I guess. The chartreuse jigging spoon is from Academy, we have been using it for a coup[le weeks and caught a ton of fish on it. This one also had the hook downsized, and I have found that we have to sharped quite often. Because we drag the bait, and bump it along the bottom the hooks dull rather quickly. If you loose a couple fish, hooks are dull. If you cannot get the hook to stick on your fingernail hit it with a sharpener, it makes allot of difference with hookups. The technique that seems to work best for us out on this point is to cast as far as we can, and basically bump/drag it back to the boat. We use a 7'6" Croaker soaker glass rod which loads up well, basically a crankbait rod. I use 10lb mono, and mason likes 12lb mono. We caught some hogs today doing this, and we shared some bigger fish to the Firefighter for tomorrows dinner. As most know I am one of those types that ain't messing around with this covid thing so we stay away from everyone. He sent over a stringer and we relayed the fish over.. Had a good day with about 100 fish, maybe 60 were keepers.. Funny thing is we look at the 12 inch fish as dinks, when you land a 16" fish it is surprising. The fish are healthy and fat, I would expect to see some females that never dropped eggs. I would head over there about 1pm and just stay there, you will not see a big school on the graph for the bigger fish, seems they just hang at the bottom.
Funny end of the day, mason had a schedule with the cousins on the computer so I got Voluntold that we had to leave.. We were not staying long today, but when your catching fish It's really hard to leave..
When you do see a school its small fish on the graph, its easy pickings. At 5pm it died out on the point and the Firefighter found they moved in about half way to the bank just off the drop in 28-29ft thick as mosquitos.. Caught 4 hogs on the trolling motor where he found them.. Have fun all, and we will report on sunday, I have three days at the salt mine ahead of me.

Short Video from today "CLICK"

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Last edited by prosise; 07/02/20 12:06 AM.
Re: Grapevine Sandies [Re: JWC Nauticstar] #13616095 07/02/20 12:57 PM
P
prosise Online Content
Extreme Angler
Online Content
Extreme Angler
P
Several questions about Murrell park fishing. If you have a depth finder with a topographic display of the lake you can see the terrain and bottom contour. The point we are fishing goes way out into the main lake and has a hump that we have been catching allot of fish on. Clean bottom, and have not lost a jigging spoon yet out there. If you do not have a contour option just go east/west and zig zag out until you do not see the hump anymore. When you start to come in and find the end just hang out and see if they show up. We are not seeing large schools of fish out here, just some stragglers hugging the bottom. When we do see a school come in, we vertical jig them and 9 times out of 10 they end up being the smaller fish. Not catching many large fish in these schools on top of the hump. Yesterday the Fireman found them just off the drop in 28-29 and the school was large, and good fish. I have a picture that represents the point, when you look to the north you will see the point extends way out in front of the opening of the cove. We have been fishing at the star location for about 4 weeks and its feast or famine. A gentleman said its usually good around 12:30-2 but we have been doing good later in the day. Get those kids out and wet a line. I got some good footage last week fishing with Mason's first fishing pole, a 3 foot ugly stick and a push button reel. Caught many fish, and was fun. One thing I will emphasize, when you find them you must not start your big motor. They will move off the hump quickly, they are used to the boat traffic but will move when someone drives over. If you are scouting and find the point give it some time to recover.. The wind has been tough lately, so we have been anchoring out off the end and letting about 100ft of rope out to get up to the hump. The anchor allows the boat to swing left/right so we cover allot of ground. Wish I had spot lock, but will have to talk to Santa. If you have any questions shoot me an IM. Be happy to help. Found a couple other spots lately, but they are not producing as well so it would not be as easy to put a youngster on the fish.

Note: this map is one I threw together a couple weeks ago for a man. The top is in 24ft since the lake came up..
Take care

Prosise

[Linked Image]

Re: Grapevine Sandies [Re: JWC Nauticstar] #13616590 07/02/20 05:53 PM
F
fishrdude Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
F
Hi Prosise. Great information as always and thanks so much for being willing to share it!

Re: Grapevine Sandies [Re: JWC Nauticstar] #13616808 07/02/20 08:49 PM
O
Outfitter Nomore Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
O
Been Fishing that hump for 40 years. Still is and has been the most consistent place for Sand Bass on the lake. Next is Meadowmere, the island and the Rock Crusher.

Re: Grapevine Sandies [Re: Outfitter Nomore] #13616932 07/02/20 10:11 PM
P
prosise Online Content
Extreme Angler
Online Content
Extreme Angler
P
Originally Posted by Outfitter Nomore
Been Fishing that hump for 40 years. Still is and has been the most consistent place for Sand Bass on the lake. Next is Meadowmere, the island and the Rock Crusher.

Funny you should mention this.. I was cruising youtube and saw a post from a man about 3 weeks ago... Rock Crusher where he shows you the rock crusher on his depth finder. I paused the video and could see the gps coordinates, threw them into my lowrance and found it. Pretty cool to see. My mapping software has a rock crusher on the map but there was nothing there. Their coordinates were way off. I ran a spoon around it but didn't get any takers. We had a good time watching his video, then going to find it. Nearly lost a bait on the dern thing.. We typically spend the summer at the beach, been cleaning out all the trash for about 3 years. If you know anyone who has lost anything valuable there touch base with me. I am seeing fish all over the place but getting them to bite without using shad is tough.

Prosise

Re: Grapevine Sandies [Re: JWC Nauticstar] #13616978 07/02/20 10:52 PM
S
Scoundrel Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity
S
Maybe sometime in the 70’s seemed like GV was down maybe -20 ft you could barely see the top of it. Wanted to swim down and try to touch it but it was too spooky. cool

Re: Grapevine Sandies [Re: JWC Nauticstar] #13618810 07/04/20 03:37 PM
Bruce's Online Sad
TFF Celebrity
Online Sad
TFF Celebrity
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Bruce's Sprinkler Repair
817-798-7246
52 years experience
State Licensed Irrigation