Forums59
Topics1,039,125
Posts13,959,633
Members144,192
Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Question about Lithium cranking battery [Re: Chris G] #13516018 04/13/20 05:15 PM
D
dk2429 Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
D
Everstart Marine cranking.. Going on 4 years now. $79.99

Last edited by dk2429; 04/13/20 05:15 PM.

Majek 22 Extreme/225 Optimax Pro XS hauled by a 2500HD Duramax

Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: Question about Lithium cranking battery [Re: Chris G] #13516060 04/13/20 05:31 PM
B
Bill Durham Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
B
not trying to hijack the thread.. but has anybody looked at Lifeline AGM batteries? Probably very expensive but look very good.
https://lifelinebatteries.com/intro/

Re: Question about Lithium cranking battery [Re: Flippin-Out] #13516078 04/13/20 05:42 PM
Dean Coleman Online Content
Outdoorsman
Online Content
Outdoorsman
Originally Posted by Flippin-Out
Dean, I run a big AGM for the main battery as you now would prefer in hindsight. I charge the lithiums from a separate charger, so I pulled the original mega-heavy 4 bank charger from the boat, saving yet another 30 pounds. For the AGM I now use a NOCO Genius 10 charger (a new model with their latest technology). It's not a marine onboard charger, but it does have an IP65 rating (dust tight, water jet protection, just not submersion). That charger costs ~$100 on Amazon, should you ever wish to consider moving back to AGM for the main battery.

good info...thanks for that.

Dean Coleman
Humble Texas

Re: Question about Lithium cranking battery [Re: Chris G] #13516860 04/14/20 03:39 AM
D Forney Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
Just curious,with the price of lithium’s, do you feel the price was justified?

4- 31’s from Orielley’s $500 ish

4- lithium’s around $3200
Granted they are much lighter, charge faster, and should last longer.

Am I missing other advantages?
Thanks just wondering

Re: Question about Lithium cranking battery [Re: Chris G] #13516905 04/14/20 05:23 AM
F
Flippin-Out Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
F
Yes, you are missing a thing or two.
1.About that 4th battery: As far as I see, there are limited choices for a lithium for the main battery (due to starting amps). Lithium shines best at longer lower amp loads (think trolling motor) and pretty much sux as a starting battery. The designs have to be beefed up considerably to handle it. More companies DON'T offer one than do. There's a reason for that. It's hard on the battery, and some company's don't want to deal with unhappy users when trying to sell one for main battery applications. I'll get slammed for saying this, but it's a weak point. Yes, some sell such a battery, and there are guys who have them working fine. I'm just saying it's not as robust in that application.
2. They are sealed, and there's no liquid chemistry inside. Rear compartment will stay very clean, on par with AGM.
3. The charging voltage is higher than wet cell or AGM, so you need to have the right lithium-compatible charger to make sure lithiums get fully charged and don't degrade over time. A regular charger will never fully charge them; just how much varies, with some only reaching 50% charge. Doing this continually will reduce battery service life. Some traditional chargers can be reprogrammed by the manufacturer for a lithium profile, btw.
4. None of them that I have ever studied specs on can be charged below 32 degrees F. Do that and risk damage or destruction. This is an issue inherent with the lithium cell technology at this time. If you use them in weather that cold, you'll need to plan to warm them up to charge them.
5. As you pointed out, they are lightweight, recharge quickly, and have a long service life. (Some can last as much as 10 years.) That service life hopefully amortizes the cost to a reasonable level.
6. One of the biggest advantages is the discharge curve. Wet cell batteries, including AGM, begin dropping voltage rather rapidly as the battery discharges, getting to a point where the voltage is so low you don't get much power for the TM.. A setup with conventional 100AH batteries may last X amount of time in use for a day on the water. Lithium batteries have a different discharge profile. They run right up to the end with little voltage drop, then fall on their face. BUT, with 100AH Lithium, that point in time can be 2X - you are unlikely to run out of TM while fishing. You can stomp that button more than ever before.

Re: Question about Lithium cranking battery [Re: Chris G] #13517058 04/14/20 12:51 PM
Happykamper Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
I normally only keep a boat 2-3 years, have basically had zero issues with optimas, no way i can justify paying 3 to 4 times more for the lithium batteries, I can see it if you keep your boat for 8-10 years or you have a performance boat and want to run 100 mph.

[Linked Image]
Re: Question about Lithium cranking battery [Re: Chris G] #13518434 04/15/20 04:05 AM
F
Flippin-Out Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
F
I understand. But, curious about concern for putting the $ into batteries when you have got to be taking a bath on changing boats every 2-3 years? If you wanted lithiums, you could always move them into a new boat, move the wet-cells into the one leaving. If you're sponsored or own a dealership, then maybe that's how you don't pay a huge price for a new boat that often.

Re: Question about Lithium cranking battery [Re: D Forney] #13518659 04/15/20 12:54 PM
Walls Online Content
Extreme Angler
Online Content
Extreme Angler
Originally Posted by D Forney

Thanks just wondering

I have less than 2K in a 125ah starter, three 60AH trollers, and a 4 Bank charger made to charge lithium. All brand new.

Re: Question about Lithium cranking battery [Re: Walls] #13518669 04/15/20 12:58 PM
H
Hook'Em 79 Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
H
Originally Posted by WALLS

Thanks just wondering

I have less than 2K in a 125ah starter, three 60AH trollers, and a 4 Bank charger made to charge lithium. All brand new.

Care to share brand and where to buy?

God, Family, Friends
www.sterlingtractor.com

Re: Question about Lithium cranking battery [Re: Flippin-Out] #13518685 04/15/20 01:06 PM
Happykamper Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
I understand. But, curious about concern for putting the $ into batteries when you have got to be taking a bath on changing boats every 2-3 years? If you wanted lithiums, you could always move them into a new boat, move the wet-cells into the one leaving. If you're sponsored or own a dealership, then maybe that's how you don't pay a huge price for a new boat that often.

If you are referring to me I do not feel like I am taking a bath on boats by trading every 2-3 years, my stuff is always new and under warranty, plus I have the latest and greatest, also as I stated i have no reason to try the lithium batteries because I am very happy with the optimas. I do the same thing with all of my construction equipment, there are two schools of thought, buy it and use it until nothing is left, or trade it off on new equipment while it has its best value.

[Linked Image]
Re: Question about Lithium cranking battery [Re: Chris G] #13518822 04/15/20 01:55 PM
Walls Online Content
Extreme Angler
Online Content
Extreme Angler
Originally Posted by Hook'em79
Originally Posted by WALLS

Thanks just wondering

Care to share brand and where to buy?

Ionic 125ah starter (stud battery!!) from "Drewtick" on BBC last year when he had a sale. He has a website (https://drewcraft.com/), but you need to message him online or call him to get BBC discount. Also got the charger from him recently (Ionic as well). Amped Outdoors for the 3 60ah troller batteries. Just received them last week and it was less than 1K to my door with the discount code (JARRETT). That was a heck of a deal from my perspective. I usually spend @ $500 on 3 31 AGMs (Sams Duracell) for trolling and they last 3-4 years. Less than double that for the lithium and I "should" get 8-10 years of life. I will also get a much better performance at the end of a windy tourney day, faster charging, and 140# less in the bilge for trolling batteries.

Re: Question about Lithium cranking battery [Re: Chris G] #13616528 07/02/20 05:06 PM
C
Chris G Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
C
Just thought this was worth reporting back. I talked to 4 different people that I would consider "experts" on Lithium batteries. In summary, every single one I originally looked at in the 100Ah rating clearly states or stated that they are NOT designed to be a cranking battery because of the risk of a BMS disconnect if your motor doesn't turn over right away due to a lack of sustained cranking amps. I had owners of companies specifically tell me this knowing they were losing a $600-$1000 sale because of it. Well, I finally found one that works and they specifically state is will function as a cranking battery because they re-programmed the BMS for it. It's the Ionic Brand 125 Ah sold by DrewCraft.com

I got the battery in 2 weeks ago and installed it last week. It came with a 52% charge on it when it arrived. I connected to the MK-460 PC onboard charger I already had and set that bank specifically to charge on the AGM setting. This was recommended by the owner of the company as well. I was able to watch the charging process of the battery on the App I downloaded. It was fully charged in about 3 hours. Set out the next day to practice on a Tawakoni for Champs. We fished 7 hours and ran the big motor the normal amount you would in any fishing day and had Livescope running the entire time which has become known for draining batteries quickly. Well when we got off the water, I looked at the app and the battery still had a 91% charge which I was shocked at. I think I found a winner in this battery and plan to swap out the current lead acid batteries for 50 Ah Lithiums in the next week.

Feel free to send me a PM with any questions. And thanks to everyone and especially Flippin-Out for the help in this process.

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
Re: Question about Lithium cranking battery [Re: Chris G] #13616542 07/02/20 05:16 PM
Rickmb Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Originally Posted by Chris G
Just thought this was worth reporting back. I talked to 4 different people that I would consider "experts" on Lithium batteries. In summary, every single one I originally looked at in the 100Ah rating clearly states or stated that they are NOT designed to be a cranking battery because of the risk of a BMS disconnect if your motor doesn't turn over right away due to a lack of sustained cranking amps. I had owners of companies specifically tell me this knowing they were losing a $600-$1000 sale because of it. Well, I finally found one that works and they specifically state is will function as a cranking battery because they re-programmed the BMS for it. It's the Ionic Brand 125 Ah sold by DrewCraft.com

I got the battery in 2 weeks ago and installed it last week. It came with a 52% charge on it when it arrived. I connected to the MK-460 PC onboard charger I already had and set that bank specifically to charge on the AGM setting. This was recommended by the owner of the company as well. I was able to watch the charging process of the battery on the App I downloaded. It was fully charged in about 3 hours. Set out the next day to practice on a Tawakoni for Champs. We fished 7 hours and ran the big motor the normal amount you would in any fishing day and had Livescope running the entire time which has become known for draining batteries quickly. Well when we got off the water, I looked at the app and the battery still had a 91% charge which I was shocked at. I think I found a winner in this battery and plan to swap out the current lead acid batteries for 50 Ah Lithiums in the next week.

Feel free to send me a PM with any questions. And thanks to everyone and especially Flippin-Out for the help in this process.

You will be very happy with the 50 AH Ionics for your TM if you have a 36V. I rarely drop below 80% charge after a full day. My worst day was an 20-30 MPH windy day on Falcon. Kept it on 7 or 8 just to find the wind and used spot lock a lot. I was at 67% at the end of the day. It was just as strong at the end of the day than it was at the beginning. Only about 3 hours to charge it back up. Fished two days on Buchanan where it was less windy but was at 72% after two days.
Having this kind of efficiency really takes the charging anxiety out when you stay at a hotel.

2018 Skeeter ZX250
2018 Yamaha 250 SHO
Re: Question about Lithium cranking battery [Re: Chris G] #13616558 07/02/20 05:30 PM
F
Flippin-Out Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
F
Thank you for the acknowledgement. I've been on my own journey of digging into this topic. Lithium technology is now moving swiftly from "unconventional application" (for the battery) to the next level where those who "do it right" have an impressive product. The cost still stings a bit, but hey, it's only money! breakdance roflmao

On Chris's comment about his experience with a day on the water: Conventional batteries take time to charge, even if you have a healthy charging amperage available. So, for the hours on the water, the time with the outboard running may not add up to very much "recharge" for a conventional starting battery. Lithium is different. It's not uncommon for the ones like we might use on our boats to readily accept up to 50 Amps of charging current. The rate of charge is much more rapid. As a result, your same outboard use on the water makes a lot more recharge impact on the battery. Couple that with the fact that their discharge curve holds voltage flat, and the term "game-changer" starts to come to mind. In some cases (not all, I admit) that an angler felt the need for a 5th battery in the boat, they may be able to once again drop down to 4 by using a heavy duty Lithium intended for starting duty. That would be a LOT of weight reduction.

Last edited by Flippin-Out; 07/02/20 05:40 PM.
Re: Question about Lithium cranking battery [Re: Flippin-Out] #13616653 07/02/20 06:55 PM
BigDozer66 Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
Thank you for the acknowledgement. I've been on my own journey of digging into this topic. Lithium technology is now moving swiftly from "unconventional application" (for the battery) to the next level where those who "do it right" have an impressive product. The cost still stings a bit, but hey, it's only money! breakdance roflmao

On Chris's comment about his experience with a day on the water: Conventional batteries take time to charge, even if you have a healthy charging amperage available. So, for the hours on the water, the time with the outboard running may not add up to very much "recharge" for a conventional starting battery. Lithium is different. It's not uncommon for the ones like we might use on our boats to readily accept up to 50 Amps of charging current. The rate of charge is much more rapid. As a result, your same outboard use on the water makes a lot more recharge impact on the battery. Couple that with the fact that their discharge curve holds voltage flat, and the term "game-changer" starts to come to mind. In some cases (not all, I admit) that an angler felt the need for a 5th battery in the boat, they may be able to once again drop down to 4 by using a heavy duty Lithium intended for starting duty. That would be a LOT of weight reduction.

I thought I had posted in this thread but maybe I did on the one on BBC. hmmm

I talked with Andy at DrewCraft about switching over in my boat.

He recommended the 100 Ah and 2 50's and said my NOCO Gen3 would do well.

I only have a 115 SHO so that might be the difference from you guys that need a bigger one for your 250's.

I plan on doing the swap in the future when the planets align. cheers

2016 Ranger RT188 Charcoal Metallic Dual Console
2017 Yamaha 115 VMAX SHO (VF115LA) SS Prop
Minn Kota Ultrex i-Pilot Link 45" 80 lb.
Humminbird Helix 10 Mega SI BalZout Console
Humminbird Helix 10 Mega SI BBT Bow Mount
Trick Step

[Linked Image]
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide