Print Thread
Fishing frogs #13614745 07/01/20 02:20 PM
S
spacejunkie Offline OP
TFF Team Angler
OP Offline
TFF Team Angler
S
went the other day and missed some hookups that smashed the bait. Got to looking and found these--

https://www.amazon.com/Basstrike-Do...;hvtargid=pla-4583520382446229&psc=1

Anyone using something like this with success?

Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: Fishing frogs [Re: spacejunkie] #13614752 07/01/20 02:26 PM
senko9S Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
frog hook sets take experience, not something you can buy.

Re: Fishing frogs [Re: spacejunkie] #13614794 07/01/20 02:49 PM
B
BrandoA Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity
B
Earlier this spring I tried those trailers and actually missed more fish, one was a solid DD. Took them off and started hooking up. I think they gave me a false sense of security and was setting the hook to soon

Last edited by BrandoA; 07/02/20 01:43 PM.
Re: Fishing frogs [Re: spacejunkie] #13614823 07/01/20 03:09 PM
A
avid_basser Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity
A
There's no magic hook that I've found...here's what I follow when frog fishing.

1) Rod - The right rod makes the world of difference. You need a rod with the hook setting power to drive the hook in, but not pull it out. I prefer a MH rod, where most like a H. Something about the bend in the MH allows the fish to pull without losing the fish.
2) Line - BRAID only on a frog. 50 - 60 lbs. It helps prevent stretch and provides instant feedback to the bait when setting the hook
3) Frog - Keep your hooks sharp! They need to penetrate fast and lock the bait into the roof of the fish
4) Patience - WAIT, WAIT WAIT, when setting the hook. You need to feel the weight of the fish before driving the hook home.

I used to pull the bait out so much I would slam my rod down. I then watched a clip of Ish frog fishing the CA Delta. This clip taught me the above and I feel it made me a better frog fisherman.

Re: Fishing frogs [Re: avid_basser] #13614954 07/01/20 04:20 PM
C
Chris G Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
C
Originally Posted by avid_basser

1) Rod - The right rod makes the world of difference. You need a rod with the hook setting power to drive the hook in, but not pull it out. I prefer a MH rod, where most like a H. Something about the bend in the MH allows the fish to pull without losing the fish.
2) Line - BRAID only on a frog. 50 - 60 lbs. It helps prevent stretch and provides instant feedback to the bait when setting the hook
3) Frog - Keep your hooks sharp! They need to penetrate fast and lock the bait into the roof of the fish
4) Patience - WAIT, WAIT WAIT, when setting the hook. You need to feel the weight of the fish before driving the hook home.

I used to pull the bait out so much I would slam my rod down. I then watched a clip of Ish frog fishing the CA Delta. This clip taught me the above and I feel it made me a better frog fisherman.

I agree with all of this except for part of your first statement. The rod is absolutely key but the MH rod comment is what I don't agree with. The tip is as important if not more important than the power. But I only frog fish with a Heavy action rod with an extra fast tip. This is especially important if you are fishing heavy cover or grass which tends to be the case most of the time when frog fishing.

And what David said about having to learn to be effective at this couldn't be more true.

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
Re: Fishing frogs [Re: Chris G] #13615355 07/01/20 08:58 PM
C
catslayer Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
C
Originally Posted by Chris G

I agree with all of this except for part of your first statement. The rod is absolutely key but the MH rod comment is what I don't agree with. The tip is as important if not more important than the power. But I only frog fish with a Heavy action rod with an extra fast tip. This is especially important if you are fishing heavy cover or grass which tends to be the case most of the time when frog fishing.

And what David said about having to learn to be effective at this couldn't be more true.

More and more I lean towards heavy rods with moderate tips... Swimbait, frog spinner bait change it to medium heavy moderate action

I don't like the trailers so much OP feel like they could push it and I don't trust those little wires conecting them.

All that said ... I'm also not a wait till you feel them guy, you miss a ton that way especially if they are smaller fish... I wait until I verify the frog isn't on the surface and then swing.

Last edited by catslayer; 07/01/20 08:59 PM.

"I'll never mess with bee's or wasp anymore, and I'll never gig another beaver..." Words from a man who learned things the hard way
Re: Fishing frogs [Re: spacejunkie] #13615746 07/02/20 01:54 AM
K
ko bass attack 27 Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
K
I use a G.Loomis 844 IMX rod with a Lews Super Duty reels spooled with 60lb. Braid. I have tried several type of trailer hooks and bending the hooks and so on to no avail. Nothing is more fun than catching bass on a frog, but face it you're gonna miss some too. I try to remind myself to go onethousand one, onethousand two and set the hook.

Re: Fishing frogs [Re: spacejunkie] #13615983 07/02/20 11:28 AM
Happykamper Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
Originally Posted by spacejunkie
went the other day and missed some hookups that smashed the bait. Got to looking and found these--

https://www.amazon.com/Basstrike-Do...;hvtargid=pla-4583520382446229&psc=1

Anyone using something like this with success?

I use one very similar but it is a single hook, I cannot imagine why it would hurt to have a stinger hook on a frog.

[Linked Image]
Re: Fishing frogs [Re: catslayer] #13616114 07/02/20 01:08 PM
E
ETXfisher91 Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
E
Originally Posted by catslayer

More and more I lean towards heavy rods with moderate tips... Swimbait, frog spinner bait change it to medium heavy moderate action

I don't like the trailers so much OP feel like they could push it and I don't trust those little wires conecting them.

All that said ... I'm also not a wait till you feel them guy, you miss a ton that way especially if they are smaller fish... I wait until I verify the frog isn't on the surface and then swing.

This

Re: Fishing frogs [Re: spacejunkie] #13616809 07/02/20 08:50 PM
buda13 Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
With a hollow body walking frog that stinger hook looks like a sure fire recipe for killing big fish IMO. Little ones maybe no big deal, but I think 5+ lb fish will have that thing all caught up in either their gills or gullet. Maybe good for a buzz frog if your getting short hits?

Re: Fishing frogs [Re: ETXfisher91] #13618400 07/04/20 02:06 AM
D
docntx Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
D
Originally Posted by ETXfisher91
Originally Posted by catslayer

I agree with all of this except for part of your first statement. The rod is absolutely key but the MH rod comment is what I don't agree with. The tip is as important if not more important than the power. But I only frog fish is with a Heavy action rod with an extra fast tip. This is especially important if you are fishing heavy cover or grass which tends to be the case most of the time when frog fishing.

This

This has always worked best for me.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide