Re: COVID in Texas [Re: Tiltman] #13607735 06/25/20 04:19 PM
J
Jpurdue Online Content OP
TFF Celebrity
OP Online Content
TFF Celebrity
J
Originally Posted by Tiltman
I may be wrong and I'd prefer to be, but I don't believe we can economically sustain this I personally feel that there is no choice that doesn't end in hardship..........

The answer I wish I had is what road leads to the least damage ?

I think we are onto the right path now. At least the only one that makes sense given our current reality.

1. The most vulnerable need to protect themselves by staying home. The sick, old, and compromised.
2. Everyone else needs to do everything possible, while still living their lives, to limit and slow the spread. Social distance. Wash hands. Wear a mask. Stay home if you are sick. Don't be stupid/reckless. Don't spread mentalities that encourages recklessness.

Limiting and slowing the spread buys us time. We've already gotten vastly better at treating the virus. We've got at least two different medications that have been proven to help. Remdesivir and a steroid. They've also got much better approaches in the hospitals that are helping. Your odds of dying of the virus if you catch it are dropping every day. Lastly buying times gives scientist time to come up with a vaccine. Lots of people won't get it. That's fine. Between recovered immunity and those willing to get vaccinated, we'll have enough folks for herd immunity.

If we skip anything in item 2 we will make it worse on everyone.

"Bragging may not bring happiness, but no man having caught a large fish goes home through an alley." -A.L.

www.LunkerLore.com

Re: COVID in Texas [Re: Jpurdue] #13607746 06/25/20 04:25 PM
Uncle Zeek Online Happy
aka "Dad"
Online Happy
aka "Dad"
If this disease follows a similar course as the Spanish flu, we're in for a two year ride.

The reality of this bug is that it probably won't stop until everyone has gotten it, or until some genius invents a vaccine. Masks might reduce your risk of catching it, but the odds are probably close to 100% that you WILL get exposed at some point. The good news is that it's not particularly dangerous to most people. The bad news is that it's bang-a-rang on older folks or those with other medical problems.

It seems like the choices are, let the disease run its course relatively quickly and suffer the loss of life quickly, or let it drag on and on and suffer the loss of life slowly, along with the economic destruction. Maybe the economic destruction is worth buying time against that bright boy or girl in the lab who might invent a cure.

"Decency is not news; it is buried in the obituaries --but it is a force stronger than crime" ~ Robert A. Heinlein
Artim Law Firm, PLLC
Estate planning & tax attorney
2250 Morriss Road, Suite 205, Flower Mound, Texas 75028
972-746-0758 mobile
zac@artimlegal.com
Re: COVID in Texas [Re: Texan Til I Die] #13607747 06/25/20 04:25 PM
R
RayBob Online Content
Super Freak
Online Content
Super Freak
R
Originally Posted by Texan Til I Die
Originally Posted by Pat Goff
What if you've already had it? Does that break the main spring of the mask gestapo?

That is still being researched. Some people may develop immunity after having Covid, but it looks like some people don't. It may depend on how large a viral load you had, but no one is certain yet. I'm sure they'll figure it out eventually.

I talked last week to an RN that had spent a month working in NY City. They had multiple re-infections and readmissions to that hospital. I don't think you'll get a claer answer to that question though for a long while.

This virus is an interesting creature that really has no set footprint. Very confounding !

Advice? Wise men don't need it. Fools won't heed it.

Re: COVID in Texas [Re: Jpurdue] #13607748 06/25/20 04:27 PM
Allison1 Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
The people who maintain their right to not wear a mask or distance when in a group are just making it worse and they don't care.

Whether you have that right or not isn't the question. Its what happens because of your right to refuse to help slow the spread that increases numbers. Thats what they are going by.

People who don't like the Dallas judge and were happy when the hair dresser won didn't know then, nor did I, that the easing of the mandates imposed by the governor and the way he did it would allow for the pandemic to grow like it has.
As the economy shrinks, just think of that. You may be right if you believe that the more people who get it will shorten the pandemic but the people who make decisions, even the ones who want to open too, are not going to allow it to go crazy.

The only way to keep the economy going AND Covid in check is to slow the spread. Its that simple. How or if you agree with that is IMO the problem. People just ignore it as if it will go away or that numbers can increase dramatically and they won't start shutting things down again.

Re: COVID in Texas [Re: Jpurdue] #13607751 06/25/20 04:28 PM
R
rangerb Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
R
In addition looks like the first Cowboy football game against Pittsburg has been cancelled. Can it be: No mask, No football?

Re: COVID in Texas [Re: Uncle Zeek] #13607752 06/25/20 04:28 PM
C
CCTX Online Content
mapquest
Online Content
mapquest
C
Originally Posted by Uncle Zeek
If this disease follows a similar course as the Spanish flu, we're in for a two year ride.

The reality of this bug is that it probably won't stop until everyone has gotten it, or until some genius invents a vaccine. Masks might reduce your risk of catching it, but the odds are probably close to 100% that you WILL get exposed at some point. The good news is that it's not particularly dangerous to most people. The bad news is that it's bang-a-rang on older folks or those with other medical problems.

It seems like the choices are, let the disease run its course relatively quickly and suffer the loss of life quickly, or let it drag on and on and suffer the loss of life slowly, along with the economic destruction. Maybe the economic destruction is worth buying time against that bright boy or girl in the lab who might invent a cure.

We have to slow the spread as much as possible.
If ICUs are filled with COVID patient's, young healthy people involved in motor vehicle collisions/other trauma, pregnancy complications, etc will all suffer. Preventing this sort of scenario is critically important.

[Linked Image]
Re: COVID in Texas [Re: WAWI] #13607756 06/25/20 04:32 PM
N
Not2Old2Fish Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
N
Originally Posted by WAWI
Originally Posted by Chris B
Wawi, can we come to your restaurant without a mask on?

Today you can. Tomorrow we will sell you a mask for $1 if you dont have one. The stupid thing is there is no guidance. Obviously you arent gonna eat and drink with it on. Until otherwise directed by our dear government, I'm gonna require on entry, exit and when not seated at table, ie bathroom trips etc.

WAWI flushing public toilet article.
https://aip.scitation.org/doi/10.1063/5.0013318

<°(((((>{
Re: COVID in Texas [Re: RayBob] #13607757 06/25/20 04:34 PM
S
Scagnetti Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
S
Originally Posted by RayBob
Originally Posted by Texan Til I Die
Originally Posted by Pat Goff
What if you've already had it? Does that break the main spring of the mask gestapo?

That is still being researched. Some people may develop immunity after having Covid, but it looks like some people don't. It may depend on how large a viral load you had, but no one is certain yet. I'm sure they'll figure it out eventually.

I talked last week to an RN that had spent a month working in NY City. They had multiple re-infections and readmissions to that hospital. I don't think you'll get a claer answer to that question though for a long while.

This virus is an interesting creature that really has no set footprint. Very confounding !

When you quarantined, did you officially test positive?

[Linked Image]

Re: COVID in Texas [Re: Not2Old2Fish] #13607759 06/25/20 04:35 PM
B
bigfishtx Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
B
Originally Posted by 2brx2b

Today you can. Tomorrow we will sell you a mask for $1 if you dont have one. The stupid thing is there is no guidance. Obviously you arent gonna eat and drink with it on. Until otherwise directed by our dear government, I'm gonna require on entry, exit and when not seated at table, ie bathroom trips etc.

Maybe close the lid before you flush? Think that might help?

Keep the Lord in your heart and keep your powder dry.
5:5
Re: COVID in Texas [Re: Jpurdue] #13607761 06/25/20 04:37 PM
N
Not2Old2Fish Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
N
Originally Posted by Jpurdue
Originally Posted by Tiltman
I may be wrong and I'd prefer to be, but I don't believe we can economically sustain this I personally feel that there is no choice that doesn't end in hardship..........

The answer I wish I had is what road leads to the least damage ?

I think we are onto the right path now. At least the only one that makes sense given our current reality.

1. The most vulnerable need to protect themselves by staying home. The sick, old, and compromised.
2. Everyone else needs to do everything possible, while still living their lives, to limit and slow the spread. Social distance. Wash hands. Wear a mask. Stay home if you are sick. Don't be stupid/reckless. Don't spread mentalities that encourages recklessness.

Limiting and slowing the spread buys us time. We've already gotten vastly better at treating the virus. We've got at least two different medications that have been proven to help. Remdesivir and a steroid. They've also got much better approaches in the hospitals that are helping. Your odds of dying of the virus if you catch it are dropping every day. Lastly buying times gives scientist time to come up with a vaccine. Lots of people won't get it. That's fine. Between recovered immunity and those willing to get vaccinated, we'll have enough folks for herd immunity.

If we skip anything in item 2 we will make it worse on everyone.

Going by some numbers I've seen.
Covid-19 far more deadly than the flu.
U.S.A. Flu cases Last year 36 million cases with 34,200 deaths.
U.S.A. In 6 months of covid-19 2.3million cases with 121,000 Deaths.
With far fewer cases covid-19 has killed 4 times as many Americans as last year's flu even with strict stay at home orders.

<°(((((>{
Re: COVID in Texas [Re: CCTX] #13607764 06/25/20 04:38 PM
D
Davedave Offline
Bigfoot Seeker
Bigfoot Seeker
D
Originally Posted by CCTX
Originally Posted by Uncle Zeek

We have to slow the spread as much as possible.
If ICUs are filled with COVID patient's, young healthy people involved in motor vehicle collisions/other trauma, pregnancy complications, etc will all suffer. Preventing this sort of scenario is critically important.

With all due respect, I don’t agree. We can’t stop it. We can slow it. I believe that’s the worst option. Rip the band aid off, and get it over with. It’s just kicking the can down the road, while we screw up the economy, and lives.

Re: COVID in Texas [Re: bigfishtx] #13607768 06/25/20 04:42 PM
N
Not2Old2Fish Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
N
Originally Posted by bigfishtx
Originally Posted by 2brx2b

Maybe close the lid before you flush? Think that might help?

Is the Lid airtight?
Why don't you look under there and see while flushing.

<°(((((>{
Re: COVID in Texas [Re: Jpurdue] #13607773 06/25/20 04:46 PM
bassfishinglawyer Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
Originally Posted by Jpurdue
Abbott is just doing everything possible to keep the state open for business. If cases get out of hand and more travel restrictions are put on us by other states that's going have a major impact on the economy. Wearing a mask doesn't hurt the economy. He's trying to protect our state financially.

I don't have a problem wearing a mask for three reasons:

1. Humility: I don't think I have COVID, but I don't factually know that. I've read enough to know some folks are asymptomatic yet still able to spread the virus. It makes sense that a face covering would minimize viral spread were I to sneeze or cough out in public.

2. Kindness: I have no clue what the people I happen to be near might be battling with. I'm 38 and healthy as an ox. I have zero fear of the virus. The person next to me could have cancer, maybe caring for an elderly parent, or have a child at home with an immune disease. Just the basic golden rule here.

3. Community: I want my community to stay open. I want businesses to do as well as they can during this extremely tough time. More and more scientist are agreeing that masks do help slow the spread. Slowing the spread buys doctors more time to get better at treating the virus and gives businesses a better chance of staying open. https://www.foxnews.com/health/us-coronavirus-deaths-projected-reach-180000-october

Yep - I think it is my duty to protect those around me from getting something I might have - just like when I don't go to work with a fever. Unfortunately, most people in Texas must not think that way. Plus, it will probably kill my summer plans to Alaska because there are so many people being tested here now that the results are slow and I can't get cleared to freely travel in Alaska. frown

Re: COVID in Texas [Re: Jpurdue] #13607775 06/25/20 04:47 PM
Allison1 Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
The only way to keep the economy going is to slow it.

Be a realist for a change. Do you really think they are going to let the virus go if it keeps mulitiplying?
If nothing else this is an election year. No way the public will support a large number of deaths, accelerating through the fall.

If you look at the worst pandemic in recent history, the Spanish Flu, the first wave was relatively mild in the spring. It did not show since the number of flu deaths were only slightly higher than with the regular flu. Nobody did anything to slow it down.
Then the second wave in the fall hit and it was horrendous. In one month alone 195k people died in the US.
Nobody thinks that it will do the same thing as the Spanish Flu but they are predicting the numbers will go up this fall.

We've seen the governor say they will take more action if the cases accelerate. The feds will be forced to do the same.
Ignoring it is just making it more likely that they will take action to control it.

Re: COVID in Texas [Re: Jpurdue] #13607777 06/25/20 04:48 PM
N
Not2Old2Fish Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
N
Can farts be covid carriers?
Yes you read that right.
https://m.timesofindia.com/life-sty...rcher-claims-so/articleshow/75291485.cms

<°(((((>{
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Previous Thread