Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Graphs not working... [Re: Ben B] #13607467 06/25/20 12:37 PM
Outlaw Outdoors Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Now is your chance to wire the bow unit right. Simply run a hot wire from your battery (with a fuse in it) up to the bow unit. Do not come out of the fuse box at the console. You'll end up with a power drop and always have problems. You can pull a new wire quicker than you can haul your boat into the dealer.

Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: Graphs not working... [Re: Ben B] #13607497 06/25/20 01:18 PM
C
CCTX Online Content
mapquest
Online Content
mapquest
C
^^^^^This sounds logical and will be quicker than problem solving every connection and fuse.

[Linked Image]
Re: Graphs not working... [Re: Flippin-Out] #13607710 06/25/20 04:04 PM
B
Ben B Offline OP
Angler
OP Offline
Angler
B
Originally Posted by Flippin-Out
"I'm a pretty humble guy - I don't mind admitting when I'm wrong or do something dumb. I have zero doubt that this is a simple issue. But having 3 guys take a look at it (the other two much more experienced boat owners than myself, I'll readily admit) and still not being able to figure it out...I may just have to learn the hard way. I'll take my licks on this one and learn a lesson if I have to."

I wouldn't have that electrician do any work on my house, just FYI. This is a simple 2 wire continuity issue. That is as BASIC as wiring can possibly get - simple wire tracing reveals most issues. Often, by simply noting all the wire colors in the harness at the bow, which ones are connected to the graph power cable, and then looking for those coming into the console from the bow is how this starts. A must connect to B that must connect to C and so forth. An electrician can't do that? A wire headed to the bow that's pulled off the fuse block and dangling is an issue, for instance. Fuse good? Yep, just never mind the wire got pulled loose (while installing an Ethernet cable as an example). This is the type of problem you have. Did the electrician have a voltmeter? Tracing wires, checking voltage, step by step is all that this takes. He doesn't even have to understand boats to do this simple task.

Electricity works like water flowing through a hose. Cut or disconnect the hose at any point and the flow at the end stops. What you're chasing is this simple. But, you have to make sure you are looking at the correct wires. This is where the visual and jiggle tracing come into play. Every time the wire connects to something, it must continue on to the next point. The "cuts" are a blown fuse or a wire no longer connected to whatever it was supposed to be connected to so that it reaches the battery - and this goes for the + and the - (typically a red wire and black wire).

Yes sir, respectfully sir...we did all of this. There were literally zero loose wires which is why we started checking - with a voltmeter. We even double checked with a test light - spent about an hour on all of this.

I truly feel like there is a fuse somewhere that was missed - which is why I feel it's a simple issue - but we just couldn't figure out where. Every boat I've owned to this point I've been able to do routine, basic maintenance on (occasionally with the help of others). But this boat by far has the most bells and whistles. I can understand the frustration - and humor - when you feel you know the problem without even seeing it. I fully get it. I'm getting it fixed and will learn a valuable lesson from it that I can pass on. I sincerely appreciate your response...I know you are just trying to help sir.

Re: Graphs not working... [Re: Outlaw Outdoors] #13607716 06/25/20 04:06 PM
B
Ben B Offline OP
Angler
OP Offline
Angler
B
Originally Posted by Outlaw Outdoors
Now is your chance to wire the bow unit right. Simply run a hot wire from your battery (with a fuse in it) up to the bow unit. Do not come out of the fuse box at the console. You'll end up with a power drop and always have problems. You can pull a new wire quicker than you can haul your boat into the dealer.

I actually just learned that this is a very common thing to do and to get more power to the unit. Again, learning something new every day. This makes a ton of sense...wanting to upgrade the units in the future and this is exactly what I'm going to do. Thank you!

Re: Graphs not working... [Re: Ben B] #13607856 06/25/20 05:56 PM
hopalong Online Confused
Pescador Loco
Online Confused
Pescador Loco
has anyone put a meter to the + - connection to see if it even has juice?

if it does or not start at the fuse farthest forward and open it, pull it whatever type it is and check across the connections for power/continuity, next go to the console fuse box and check across the fuse there, then battery connection fuse or breaker. I have had fuse holders go bad from being pulled while pulling wire, the glass type are bad about it.

in my champion I have breakers for circuit branches and fuses for individual circuits that tie into the breaker circuits.
are you sure you don't have some breakers somewhere?

" Hop, set the hook"!
hopalong 99,999
TexDawg 99,999
FJB! not my president by a long shot!

lake fork FISHERMANS COVE MARINA/reservations - 903 474 7479
Re: Graphs not working... [Re: Ben B] #13609085 06/26/20 05:15 PM
F
Flippin-Out Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
F
Originally Posted by Ben B
Originally Posted by Flippin-Out
"I'm a pretty humble guy - I don't mind admitting when I'm wrong or do something dumb. I have zero doubt that this is a simple issue. But having 3 guys take a look at it (the other two much more experienced boat owners than myself, I'll readily admit) and still not being able to figure it out...I may just have to learn the hard way. I'll take my licks on this one and learn a lesson if I have to."

I wouldn't have that electrician do any work on my house, just FYI. This is a simple 2 wire continuity issue. That is as BASIC as wiring can possibly get - simple wire tracing reveals most issues. Often, by simply noting all the wire colors in the harness at the bow, which ones are connected to the graph power cable, and then looking for those coming into the console from the bow is how this starts. A must connect to B that must connect to C and so forth. An electrician can't do that? A wire headed to the bow that's pulled off the fuse block and dangling is an issue, for instance. Fuse good? Yep, just never mind the wire got pulled loose (while installing an Ethernet cable as an example). This is the type of problem you have. Did the electrician have a voltmeter? Tracing wires, checking voltage, step by step is all that this takes. He doesn't even have to understand boats to do this simple task.

Electricity works like water flowing through a hose. Cut or disconnect the hose at any point and the flow at the end stops. What you're chasing is this simple. But, you have to make sure you are looking at the correct wires. This is where the visual and jiggle tracing come into play. Every time the wire connects to something, it must continue on to the next point. The "cuts" are a blown fuse or a wire no longer connected to whatever it was supposed to be connected to so that it reaches the battery - and this goes for the + and the - (typically a red wire and black wire).

Yes sir, respectfully sir...we did all of this. There were literally zero loose wires which is why we started checking - with a voltmeter. We even double checked with a test light - spent about an hour on all of this.

I truly feel like there is a fuse somewhere that was missed - which is why I feel it's a simple issue - but we just couldn't figure out where. Every boat I've owned to this point I've been able to do routine, basic maintenance on (occasionally with the help of others). But this boat by far has the most bells and whistles. I can understand the frustration - and humor - when you feel you know the problem without even seeing it. I fully get it. I'm getting it fixed and will learn a valuable lesson from it that I can pass on. I sincerely appreciate your response...I know you are just trying to help sir.

Did you do the 'ol "jiggle wires" trick to trace the wire all the way to the battery however it gets there? That's how you would discover that possible missing mystery fuse kind of problem that is escaping you. At the points along the way where you can get to the connection, check voltage with the voltmeter. You need to follow the Ground wire as importantly as the positive lead. When you make voltage measurements, do them with reference to the Ground circuit that connects the bow unit, not just "another Ground." The purpose of this is to insure the Ground has continuity as well as the +12V..

Re: Graphs not working... [Re: Ben B] #13610324 06/27/20 08:40 PM
Bass Boat Wired Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Let me know if I can help.

"Get Wired for Success"
Hunt.Scope.Fish.
www.bassboatwired.com
www.forwardfacingsonars.com

Aaron Towner
sales@bassboatwired.com
sales@forwardfacingsonars.com
Re: Graphs not working... [Re: Ben B] #13610343 06/27/20 09:13 PM
J
JIM SR. Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
J
Surely there is someone that is familiar with this issue...

I recently purchased a boat with Lowrance HDS Carbon 9's at the bow and console. They were not linked, so I installed the ethernet cable myself...however now the bow unit will not power on. Any ideas on what the issue may be?

The cable is the common denominator, if both units worked before,..maybe the cable is bad.

Re: Graphs not working... [Re: JIM SR.] #13610358 06/27/20 09:28 PM
F
Flippin-Out Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
F
Originally Posted by JIM SR.
Surely there is someone that is familiar with this issue...

I recently purchased a boat with Lowrance HDS Carbon 9's at the bow and console. They were not linked, so I installed the ethernet cable myself...however now the bow unit will not power on. Any ideas on what the issue may be?

The cable is the common denominator, if both units worked before,..maybe the cable is bad.

You're way behind. He disconnected the cable far earlier in this process. My suspicion is that they disconnected something in the process of installing the Ethernet cable, and now the unit doesn't work. Nobody who has looked at it knows how to do a basic power continuity debug, so it was going back to the dealer. The dealer will probably run new wire and install a new power cord, so nobody will ever know what was actually wrong.

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide