Dy #45...picture...put this on your bucket list... #13606225 06/24/20 12:11 PM
B
beartrap Offline OP
TFF Celebrity
OP Offline
TFF Celebrity
B
[Linked Image]

if you like to travel and see how vast,unsettled and beautiful northwest America is,...drive the Alaskan highway...it's 1387 miles/3-4 days of travel you will remember the rest of your life...it's a really easy trip,there's small towns, nice motels every 200 miles or so and trading posts/gas/food every 40-60 miles and in between there is nothing but beautiful unspoiled views, a smooth wide highway with wide shoulders to pull off and take pictures of those bear,deer,moose,caribou and bighorn sheep you are gonna see...don't worry about people pulling out in front of you because there are rarely any cross roads,houses,signs,barns,power lines or anything to spoil the scenery....I'll post more Alaskan highway pictures I took over next several months and give you a little better idea of what you can expect to see...

Re: Dy #45...picture...put this on your bucket list... [Re: beartrap] #13606265 06/24/20 12:52 PM
el Rojo Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
I took that same picture. Did you by chance make an Alaskan picture and write up like you did the river trips? If so I would love to see it.

Red

Re: Dy #45...picture...put this on your bucket list... [Re: beartrap] #13606266 06/24/20 12:52 PM
TexDawg Online Content
Top Dawg
Online Content
Top Dawg
I would love to drive that someday, got too much of the lower 48 to see first though

Re: Dy #45...picture...put this on your bucket list... [Re: el Rojo] #13606282 06/24/20 01:05 PM
B
beartrap Offline OP
TFF Celebrity
OP Offline
TFF Celebrity
B
Originally Posted by el Rojo
I took that same picture. Did you by chance make an Alaskan picture and write up like you did the river trips? If so I would love to see it.

Red

no...but I wish had taken more notes so I could have done a trip journal...didn't think there would be much interest in one either....over next several months,I'll post some pictures and give guys an idea of what they can expect to see and what the highway looks like..

Re: Dy #45...picture...put this on your bucket list... [Re: beartrap] #13606293 06/24/20 01:11 PM
hopalong Offline
Pescador Loco
Pescador Loco
almost got to deliver a load to fairbanks when I was driving, not sure if they would have put me on the ferry or let me drive the alcan but that is a bucket list trip for sure.

Re: Dy #45...picture...put this on your bucket list... [Re: beartrap] #13606331 06/24/20 01:32 PM
V
von rage Online Content
Extreme Angler
Online Content
Extreme Angler
V
I drove it in 1976 when it was still gravel. Drove it in a '66 International Travelall. Awesome trip!

Re: Dy #45...picture...put this on your bucket list... [Re: hopalong] #13606348 06/24/20 01:39 PM
B
beartrap Offline OP
TFF Celebrity
OP Offline
TFF Celebrity
B
Originally Posted by hopalong
almost got to deliver a load to fairbanks when I was driving, not sure if they would have put me on the ferry or let me drive the alcan but that is a bucket list trip for sure.

maybe someone else has had a different experience but it was rare to see an 18 wheeler on the Alaskan highway...maybe a dozen or so in 1,400 miles....most of the rare traffic was motor homes or people pulling 5th wheel travel trailers...and probably half or more of those were Dodge trucks....I asked one Dodge drivers why so many Dodge trucks and his reply "the Cummins engine" and went on to say the rest of the truck wasn't all that great but the engine was superior to ford or GM (this was 15 years ago)….

Re: Dy #45...picture...put this on your bucket list... [Re: beartrap] #13606414 06/24/20 02:25 PM
T
Trickster Offline
Super Freak
Super Freak
T
thumb

Re: Dy #45...picture...put this on your bucket list... [Re: beartrap] #13606511 06/24/20 03:27 PM
S
Scagnetti Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
S
Originally Posted by beartrap
[Linked Image]

if you like to travel and see how vast,unsettled and beautiful northwest America is,...drive the Alaskan highway...it's 1387 miles/3-4 days of travel you will remember the rest of your life...

We’ve all done trips, driving through remote, wilderness areas.

My BIGGEST fear is breaking down in the absolute middle of nowhere

Yeah, somebody will stop and offer aid but how do you fix your vehicle when the closest mechanic and parts are 80 kms away?

Has that ever happened to you?

[Linked Image]

Re: Dy #45...picture...put this on your bucket list... [Re: Scagnetti] #13606573 06/24/20 04:26 PM
B
beartrap Offline OP
TFF Celebrity
OP Offline
TFF Celebrity
B
Originally Posted by Scagnetti
[Linked Image]

if you like to travel and see how vast,unsettled and beautiful northwest America is,...drive the Alaskan highway...it's 1387 miles/3-4 days of travel you will remember the rest of your life...

We’ve all done trips, driving through remote, wilderness areas.

My BIGGEST fear is breaking down in the absolute middle of nowhere

Yeah, somebody will stop and offer aid but how do you fix your vehicle when the closest mechanic and parts are 80 kms away?

Has that ever happened to you?

when I did it, I had a less than one year old 2005 Honda Accord V/6 with about 3000 miles on it...it got great gas mileage,plenty of power,comfortable and I felt it was as reliable as any car out there...also my car insurance has towing insurance but it probably had limits...I didn't have any breakdowns,..
I understand your fears because I had the same fears traveling on shorter trips when I was younger and had small children...if you got a fairly new low mileage car/truck the odds are not very high that you would have a breakdown....fortunately I was retired and did have the means to just buy a new car if something drastic happened to mine so it wasn't something I was too concerned about...

Re: Dy #45...picture...put this on your bucket list... [Re: beartrap] #13606696 06/24/20 06:30 PM
S
Scagnetti Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
S
when I did it, I had a less than one year old 2005 Honda Accord V/6 with about 3000 miles on it...it got great gas mileage,plenty of power,comfortable and I felt it was as reliable as any car out there...also my car insurance has towing insurance but it probably had limits...I didn't have any breakdowns,..
I understand your fears because I had the same fears traveling on shorter trips when I was younger and had small children...if you got a fairly new low mileage car/truck the odds are not very high that you would have a breakdown....fortunately I was retired and did have the means to just buy a new car if something drastic happened to mine so it wasn't something I was too concerned about...

I feel better now hearing that

Two years ago, we drove from Vancouver to Calgary in a low mileage rental car and it took a bit to get used to the idea that there wasn’t much of anything around, especially in the National Parks

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Re: Dy #45...picture...put this on your bucket list... [Re: beartrap] #13606756 06/24/20 07:31 PM
B
beartrap Offline OP
TFF Celebrity
OP Offline
TFF Celebrity
B
When I drove the Alaskan Highway,.I started out in Albany,ga….went up through Midwest,through Michigan upper peninsula,crossed over into Canada at St Sault marie then turned west and drove all the way across Canada on Trans-Canada highway (about 1800 miles)...a great divided highway with not much traffic except near big towns...plenty of nice motels,restaurants and no areas near big cities that I felt unsafe (which is not true in this country)..except for 300 miles or so of western part of ontario and eastern manitoba there is not much scenery crossing canada,looks a lot like Kansas or Nebraska....went all the way to rocky mtns at Banff,Alberta,turned north and took Alaska highway all the way up to Fairbanks,alaska with a really neat side trip over to Dawson Creek and back into alaska on the "top of world" highway
made a circle through alaska,fairbanks to homer down on coast.it's pretty scenery …...did spend the night in anchorage and got my oil changed at Honda dealer (used synthethic oil for the long mileage between changes I was gonna have)...wanted to take one of the tour vans up to Prudhoe bay but they had a pipeline break and closed the road for the few days I was in the area...
headed back south and when I got down to Watson's lake ,I took the Cassiar highway which descends south through western British Columbia...great road...lightly traveled,beautiful scenery.a lot like the Alaskan highway ...took this all the way down and crossed the border at Seattle..
traveled down Washington,oregon coasts then angled over through north California and through yosemite natl park...which was well worth the visit...
left Yosemite and headed south then turned back east through Arizona,new mexico,texas and home....
5 weeks....13,404 miles....couple observations....me and wife were not meant to be joined at the hip for 5 weeks....and...me and dog never had a cross word...

Re: Dy #45...picture...put this on your bucket list... [Re: TexDawg] #13606900 06/24/20 09:28 PM
banker-always fishing Offline
Pumpkin Head
Pumpkin Head
[quote=TexDawg]I would love to drive that someday, got too much of the lower 48 to see first though [/quot

Plus #1. cheers

[Linked Image][Linked Image]

IGFA World Record Rio Grande Cichlid. Lake Dunlap.

John 3:16

Sinner's Prayer. God forgive me a sinner. I accept Jesus Christ as my Savior !
Re: Dy #45...picture...put this on your bucket list... [Re: von rage] #13607358 06/25/20 04:41 AM
T
TxDanFishMan Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
T
Originally Posted by von rage
I drove it in 1976 when it was still gravel. Drove it in a '66 International Travelall. Awesome trip!

My Dad had a TravelAll, maybe 1971, it was a tank we took on several great family vacations.
The back end was big enough to load a Sears Gamefisher boat inside. Heck of a vehicle.

Slide right, coming in .... Fish On!
Re: Dy #45...picture...put this on your bucket list... [Re: beartrap] #13607510 06/25/20 01:30 PM
el Rojo Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
When I drove the Alaskan Highway,.I started out in Albany,ga….went up through Midwest,through Michigan upper peninsula,crossed over into Canada at St Sault marie then turned west and drove all the way across Canada on Trans-Canada highway (about 1800 miles)...a great divided highway with not much traffic except near big towns...plenty of nice motels,restaurants and no areas near big cities that I felt unsafe (which is not true in this country)..except for 300 miles or so of western part of ontario and eastern manitoba there is not much scenery crossing canada,looks a lot like Kansas or Nebraska....went all the way to rocky mtns at Banff,Alberta,turned north and took Alaska highway all the way up to Fairbanks,alaska with a really neat side trip over to Dawson Creek and back into alaska on the "top of world" highway
made a circle through alaska,fairbanks to homer down on coast.it's pretty scenery …...did spend the night in anchorage and got my oil changed at Honda dealer (used synthethic oil for the long mileage between changes I was gonna have)...wanted to take one of the tour vans up to Prudhoe bay but they had a pipeline break and closed the road for the few days I was in the area...
headed back south and when I got down to Watson's lake ,I took the Cassiar highway which descends south through western British Columbia...great road...lightly traveled,beautiful scenery.a lot like the Alaskan highway ...took this all the way down and crossed the border at Seattle..
traveled down Washington,oregon coasts then angled over through north California and through yosemite natl park...which was well worth the visit...
left Yosemite and headed south then turned back east through Arizona,new mexico,texas and home....
5 weeks....13,404 miles....couple observations....me and wife were not meant to be joined at the hip for 5 weeks....and...me and dog never had a cross word...

Yeah, that was the hardest part about Full timing in an RV, getting used to being next to your wife 24/7. After about 6 months, she had me whooped in shape. LOL

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide