Print Thread
Front graph preferences... #13604071 06/22/20 04:17 PM
~
~Moose~ Offline OP
Angler
OP Offline
Angler
~
I only have an old gen 1 HDS 5 up front which doesnt even have a transducer. It is networked to the 8 in the console running off the transom mount transducer. Showing down and side imaging from the back of the boat does me no good from the front. I need a new unit with a T/M transducer. Thinking something with downscan. What is everyone running up front and why? Also, if you could change it, what would you get?

Re: Front graph preferences... [Re: ~Moose~] #13604257 06/22/20 06:30 PM
M
Mo Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
M
I'm no expert , but here is my set up. motorguide xi5 networked to a hds gen 3 9 on the bow , 12 on the console. The 9 is using the
built in transducer on the TM. The 12 on the console is running off the SI tranducer on the transom and a point one gps antenna also
on the transom. I have a 12 in Garmin ( non touch ) with live scope also on the bow, I use the fishing specialties mount for
the livescope transducer.

The only thing I would do different at this point would be to investigate the Garmin TM, If it would replace the capabilities of my
motorguide, I could go from 3 fish finder units to 2.

Good luck

MO

MY BACKYARD , 20,000 ACRES , NO MOWING smile
Re: Front graph preferences... [Re: ~Moose~] #13605082 06/23/20 01:22 PM
L
Lazy Ike Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
L
fishi have a H B 1198c at console . And a helix 7 G2 N at bow, they are networked together. Not a large investment as i got 1198 used, and the 7 was new. the guy with helix was getting new boat and upgraded, so helix was new & priced right.

Re: Front graph preferences... [Re: ~Moose~] #13605572 06/23/20 07:21 PM
S
Slewfoot Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
S
I run a carbon 12 on the console linked to a carbon 9 on the bow and a Garmin 126 for livescope. I can run a 1022 on the bow as well but it’s mainly a fancy crappie nibble tray! roflmao

I still have my Helix 9 and 360 transducer but haven’t used it in over a year. I need to sell it!

Re: Front graph preferences... [Re: ~Moose~] #13606371 06/24/20 01:49 PM
DFW-fisherman Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
I do like my HDS7 Gen3 at the bow networked with my Motorguide Xi5 with Pinpoint and it's internal sonar transducer. Works well for me. Not sure that DI or SS would improve my crappie catching much; I do catch'em on every trip - after I learned how to find them with my SS at the console.

But - I am not thinking about upgrading to Live Scope.

Good luck with the decision journey.

Re: Front graph preferences... [Re: ~Moose~] #13606395 06/24/20 02:11 PM
ThaDudeAbides Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Maybe I'm lost, but why can't you simply add a transducer to the bow unit for the TM? Does the HDS not allow you to network the unit AND have a dedicated transducer? Even a simple 2D sonar with a bow transducer would be sufficient to see fish and some structure.

I agree that having a unit networked is only good to locate waypoints with your current setup. I assume you are marking them with buoys thrown off the transom to fish them off the bow?

Maybe adding some info on your fishing process would help. Otherwise you will get a lot of go buy this unit etc and not sure exactly the problem you are trying to solve.

**Professional amateur crappie fisherman**

1997 Nitro Savage 896, 200 HP Mercury EFI, Garmin Force, Garmin GPSMAP 1022 w/ Livescope, Garmin Ultra 122sv, Garmin 93
Re: Front graph preferences... [Re: ThaDudeAbides] #13606771 06/24/20 07:54 PM
~
~Moose~ Offline OP
Angler
OP Offline
Angler
~
Originally Posted by ThaDudeAbides
Maybe I'm lost, but why can't you simply add a transducer to the bow unit for the TM? Does the HDS not allow you to network the unit AND have a dedicated transducer? Even a simple 2D sonar with a bow transducer would be sufficient to see fish and some structure.

I agree that having a unit networked is only good to locate waypoints with your current setup. I assume you are marking them with buoys thrown off the transom to fish them off the bow?

Maybe adding some info on your fishing process would help. Otherwise you will get a lot of go buy this unit etc and not sure exactly the problem you are trying to solve.

I am sure I could add a bow transducer to the 5, but with both units being 10 year old gen 1s I was thinking about upgrading to newer graphs, beginning with the front since that is where I am currently lacking the most capability. Throwing a marker buoy off the transom lets me get close, but I am still blind at the bow and become frustrated when I am not sure if I am back were I want to be because the buoy may have drifted after I chucked it or my aim was off a little or depending on the speed I was moving over the structure it was further back than I thought, etc.

So I guess the real problem I am trying to solve is upgrading my electronics. I am looking for input regarding why folks use a particular set up, pros / cons, what would they do different, why they prefer this over that, etc. I currently have Lowrance, but its only because it was on the boat when I bought it, I have no brand preference of my own yet.

Re: Front graph preferences... [Re: ~Moose~] #13606843 06/24/20 08:41 PM
K
Ken Gaby Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
K
TMs with built in transducers are 2D only I believe unless Lowrance has changed. If you want DI up front, you'll have to get the DI transducer. The 2D works OK if you can read it well. The DI is a little better and you actually see limbs and fish. You can see fish also on 2D but not easily on a BP.
Suggest not using the transducer that comes with the unit on the TM. Might work just fine but sometimes there is interference on the screen. A transducer made for the TM has more shielding and eliminates interference.
I have Helix 9 console, and Helix 7 bow, and networked. I like the network feature. Accurately mark the structure with SI on the console and pull right up to it with the waypoint on the bow unit. Then hit spot lock, catch fish. Welllllll, that last part doesn't always work out that way.

A life without God is like an unsharpened pencil, it has no point. Billy Graham
www.thermoclinelures.com "Helping YOU catch MORE & LARGER fish!"
http://www.crazyanglertackle.com Premium crappie baits and jig tying accessories
http://www.proanglertackle.com Best crappie and catfish rods/reels
http://www.beereadys.com World's Best Rod Holders
Re: Front graph preferences... [Re: ~Moose~] #13607068 06/24/20 11:36 PM
M
MasterCaster Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
M
Running Simrad NSS Evo3’s. 12” in the console with 3D ducer and 9” on the bow with Totalscan ducer on the TM. If I have a do-over I would go with 12” on the bow instead of 9”. My eyes ain’t good.

Re: Front graph preferences... [Re: Slewfoot] #13608021 06/25/20 07:57 PM
~
~Moose~ Offline OP
Angler
OP Offline
Angler
~
Originally Posted by Slewfoot
I run a carbon 12 on the console linked to a carbon 9 on the bow and a Garmin 126 for livescope. I can run a 1022 on the bow as well but it’s mainly a fancy crappie nibble tray! roflmao

I still have my Helix 9 and 360 transducer but haven’t used it in over a year. I need to sell it!

What made you decide to switch from Bird to Lowrance?

Re: Front graph preferences... [Re: Ken Gaby] #13608027 06/25/20 07:58 PM
~
~Moose~ Offline OP
Angler
OP Offline
Angler
~
Originally Posted by Ken Gaby
TMs with built in transducers are 2D only I believe unless Lowrance has changed. If you want DI up front, you'll have to get the DI transducer. The 2D works OK if you can read it well. The DI is a little better and you actually see limbs and fish. You can see fish also on 2D but not easily on a BP.
Suggest not using the transducer that comes with the unit on the TM. Might work just fine but sometimes there is interference on the screen. A transducer made for the TM has more shielding and eliminates interference.
I have Helix 9 console, and Helix 7 bow, and networked. I like the network feature. Accurately mark the structure with SI on the console and pull right up to it with the waypoint on the bow unit. Then hit spot lock, catch fish. Welllllll, that last part doesn't always work out that way.

Do you find the 7 to be plenty large enough up front?

Re: Front graph preferences... [Re: ~Moose~] #13608112 06/25/20 09:03 PM
K
Ken Gaby Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
K
So far it is. Have it mounted on a Ram that sticks up 6" so it's closer to the eyes. I'm just looking at way points and then the BP or tree. Not really worried about fish detail. If I want to see the fish better, it would be at least a 9 or probably a 10.

A life without God is like an unsharpened pencil, it has no point. Billy Graham
www.thermoclinelures.com "Helping YOU catch MORE & LARGER fish!"
http://www.crazyanglertackle.com Premium crappie baits and jig tying accessories
http://www.proanglertackle.com Best crappie and catfish rods/reels
http://www.beereadys.com World's Best Rod Holders
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide