Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Things that make you cringe! [Re: Flippin-Out] #13604988 06/23/20 12:15 PM
Happykamper Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
Originally Posted by Flippin-Out
Originally Posted by Happykamper
I watched several boats keep fishing during a big thunder storm yesterday on Grapevine, I was hiding in a boat slip, praying no one got struck, especially the two guys who had what looked like a 6 year old boy in the boat with them.

Ever had your line hover up in the air after a cast? ....or make a buzzing sound? I have, and we got the you-know-what outta Dodge quick! (This was happening before any snap-crackle pop activity had started.)

Was fishing Fork with a guide back in the early 90's, we had ran back to the marina a couple of times because of severe weather, finally the guide felt like we could get 2-3 hours in before the next line came through, I don' recall if we stayed too long or if the storms showed up early, we had golf ball size hail, had to hold tackle box over head to keep from getting knocked out, while we were fishing lightning struck a tree about 10 feet from us, knocked our rods out of our hands, knocked me to the floor, the tree came down into the boat, that is why I cringe when I see folks ignoring lightning storms on the lake.

[Linked Image]
Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: Things that make you cringe! [Re: Flippin-Out] #13605051 06/23/20 12:57 PM
BigDozer66 Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
I watched several boats keep fishing during a big thunder storm yesterday on Grapevine, I was hiding in a boat slip, praying no one got struck, especially the two guys who had what looked like a 6 year old boy in the boat with them.

Ever had your line hover up in the air after a cast? ....or make a buzzing sound? I have, and we got the you-know-what outta Dodge quick! (This was happening before any snap-crackle pop activity had started.)

My dad and I did on Rayburn one day!

Funny thing is it was mostly blue skies with just a few clouds. hmmm

No thunder, lightning, or rain but it ws time to go. bolt

2016 Ranger RT188 Charcoal Metallic Dual Console
2017 Yamaha 115 VMAX SHO (VF115LA) SS Prop
Minn Kota Ultrex i-Pilot Link 45" 80 lb.
Humminbird Helix 10 Mega SI BalZout Console
Humminbird Helix 10 Mega SI BBT Bow Mount
Trick Step

[Linked Image]
Re: Things that make you cringe! [Re: Flippin-Out] #13605119 06/23/20 01:46 PM
D
dk2429 Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
D

People think its BS, but you're rod will start vibrating and making a buzzing noise when a bad [censored] storm is near.. I have first hand experience with that and video proof!

Majek 22 Extreme/225 Optimax Pro XS hauled by a 2500HD Duramax

Re: Things that make you cringe! [Re: Coolarrow] #13605125 06/23/20 01:49 PM
J
Jarrett Latta Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
J
Originally Posted by Coolarrow
I was fishing the area between Stanley creek and the Brick Yard on Sam Rayburn Saturday morning. A bass boat was running the lane that runs north off of Hanks Creek up towards the 103. When he passed the island in front of Stanley creek on the lake side, he turned toward where I was and ran wide open through all that timber. Not following the shore, right through that forest. Most of which is about. 6” to a 1’ under water right now. I stopped fishing and watched, waiting to see a boat destroyed. It’s hard to idle through there!! He Made it. He stopped about 300 yards from me and started fishing my way. When I passed him I ask if he was fishing a tourney and he said he was.. That’s all I said. I didn’t want to spoil his luck! Lol He needed it running up there like that. Made me cringe.. lol

But at this level you can do it if you know where you are going. We run to back of Odell back out over into duranzo down the bank to Drivers and Lowery all the way around to Shirley. Now if it drops a little more it gets sketchy.

Re: Things that make you cringe! [Re: dk2429] #13605172 06/23/20 02:13 PM
Bahala Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
Originally Posted by dk2429

People think its BS, but you're rod will start vibrating and making a buzzing noise when a bad [censored] storm is near.. I have first hand experience with that and video proof!

Happened to a buddy an me on Bastrop one day. A storm was approaching and every time you lifted your rod, it would vibrate and buzz. We left in a hurry!

[Linked Image]

Marine Electronics and Accessories Sales, Installs, and Repair. We are authorized re-sellers for Garmin,
Humminbird, Lowrance, Minn Kota, Ionic Lithium Batteries, and many more. Give us a call at 936-247-3800.
Re: Things that make you cringe! [Re: Coolarrow] #13605330 06/23/20 04:05 PM
P
photofishin Offline
Angler
Angler
P
There's a difference between a first time boater running Rayburn and someone who's fished the lake for years. When the lake is up, I have no problem running on plane in areas I'd never run when it's low. I've fished the Hanks Creek end of Rayburn for 30+ years and have never dropped a lower unit on a stump as I know where I'm boating.

Re: Things that make you cringe! [Re: Coolarrow] #13605440 06/23/20 05:49 PM
K
kcb Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
K
About 30 years ago I had just launched at Fisherman’s Cove on Fork and was solo. Had my boat pulled up in the sand between the ramp and the boat slips. I had backed out and put the boat in gear and shortly after heard a terrible racket that was not my outboard. There were two older gents that had taken out and were at the top of the ramp in the parking lot running the gas out of their motor!! The rig looked fairly new and had what looked like a 75-85 Force motor. I suppose someone told them they needed to run the gas out of their motor after each trip but didn’t tell them “While in the water”. I thought for a second about trying to get to them but I was out near the middle of the creek by then and they couldn’t have heard anyway as you know how loud a motor is while out of the water. I hoped they didn’t ruin it. What an expensive lesson that was or would’ve been.

Re: Things that make you cringe! [Re: photofishin] #13605817 06/23/20 10:50 PM
C
Coolarrow Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
C
Originally Posted by photofishin
There's a difference between a first time boater running Rayburn and someone who's fished the lake for years. When the lake is up, I have no problem running on plane in areas I'd never run when it's low. I've fished the Hanks Creek end of Rayburn for 30+ years and have never dropped a lower unit on a stump as I know where I'm boating.

I agree 100%. I fished Rayburn my whole life. I have run that area for around 30 year’s myself. Where that guy ran through is not safe to run at almost a foot low. 2’ high yes! As you know the lower it gets the more idle though or go around is required. I see it all the time.. just struck me Saturday. New boat peeled back for all she would do. Right through a stand of timber.

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide