texasfishingforum.com logo
Main Menu
Advertisement
Affiliates
Advertisement
Newest Members
SwiftyAngler66, flukin, JDCompton, Szef, timbolee
113719 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
TexDawg 96,976
hopalong 89,597
Pilothawk 80,144
John175☮ 77,777
JDavis7873 67,400
Bigbob_FTW 66,987
Derek 🐝 64,888
Mark Perry 60,646
Tritonman 58,981
facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums62
Topics780,080
Posts9,897,419
Members113,718
Most Online36,273
Jan 23rd, 2013
Print Thread
Front graph preferences... #13604071 06/22/20 04:17 PM
Joined: Oct 2016
Posts: 122
~
~Moose~ Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
~
Joined: Oct 2016
Posts: 122
I only have an old gen 1 HDS 5 up front which doesnt even have a transducer. It is networked to the 8 in the console running off the transom mount transducer. Showing down and side imaging from the back of the boat does me no good from the front. I need a new unit with a T/M transducer. Thinking something with downscan. What is everyone running up front and why? Also, if you could change it, what would you get?

Wet Rooster Jigs Fishing Super Store
Re: Front graph preferences... [Re: ~Moose~] #13604257 06/22/20 06:30 PM
Joined: Oct 2001
Posts: 13,563
M
Mo Offline
TFF Guru
Offline
TFF Guru
M
Joined: Oct 2001
Posts: 13,563
I'm no expert , but here is my set up. motorguide xi5 networked to a hds gen 3 9 on the bow , 12 on the console. The 9 is using the
built in transducer on the TM. The 12 on the console is running off the SI tranducer on the transom and a point one gps antenna also
on the transom. I have a 12 in Garmin ( non touch ) with live scope also on the bow, I use the fishing specialties mount for
the livescope transducer.

The only thing I would do different at this point would be to investigate the Garmin TM, If it would replace the capabilities of my
motorguide, I could go from 3 fish finder units to 2.

Good luck

MO



MY BACKYARD , 20,000 ACRES , NO MOWING smile
Re: Front graph preferences... [Re: ~Moose~] #13605082 06/23/20 01:22 PM
Joined: Mar 2016
Posts: 931
L
Lazy Ike Offline
Pro Angler
Offline
Pro Angler
L
Joined: Mar 2016
Posts: 931
fishi have a H B 1198c at console . And a helix 7 G2 N at bow, they are networked together. Not a large investment as i got 1198 used, and the 7 was new. the guy with helix was getting new boat and upgraded, so helix was new & priced right.

Re: Front graph preferences... [Re: ~Moose~] #13605572 06/23/20 07:21 PM
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 3,337
Slewfoot Offline
TFF Team Angler
Offline
TFF Team Angler
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 3,337
I run a carbon 12 on the console linked to a carbon 9 on the bow and a Garmin 126 for livescope. I can run a 1022 on the bow as well but it’s mainly a fancy crappie nibble tray! roflmao

I still have my Helix 9 and 360 transducer but haven’t used it in over a year. I need to sell it!

Re: Front graph preferences... [Re: ~Moose~] #13606371 06/24/20 01:49 PM
Joined: Apr 2011
Posts: 1,456
DFW-fisherman Offline
Extreme Angler
Offline
Extreme Angler
Joined: Apr 2011
Posts: 1,456
I do like my HDS7 Gen3 at the bow networked with my Motorguide Xi5 with Pinpoint and it's internal sonar transducer. Works well for me. Not sure that DI or SS would improve my crappie catching much; I do catch'em on every trip - after I learned how to find them with my SS at the console.

But - I am not thinking about upgrading to Live Scope.

Good luck with the decision journey.

Re: Front graph preferences... [Re: ~Moose~] #13606395 06/24/20 02:11 PM
Joined: Sep 2019
Posts: 231
T
ThaDudeAbides Offline
Outdoorsman
Offline
Outdoorsman
T
Joined: Sep 2019
Posts: 231
Maybe I'm lost, but why can't you simply add a transducer to the bow unit for the TM? Does the HDS not allow you to network the unit AND have a dedicated transducer? Even a simple 2D sonar with a bow transducer would be sufficient to see fish and some structure.

I agree that having a unit networked is only good to locate waypoints with your current setup. I assume you are marking them with buoys thrown off the transom to fish them off the bow?

Maybe adding some info on your fishing process would help. Otherwise you will get a lot of go buy this unit etc and not sure exactly the problem you are trying to solve.


THUMP 2020
Re: Front graph preferences... [Re: ThaDudeAbides] #13606771 06/24/20 07:54 PM
Joined: Oct 2016
Posts: 122
~
~Moose~ Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
~
Joined: Oct 2016
Posts: 122
Originally Posted by ThaDudeAbides
Maybe I'm lost, but why can't you simply add a transducer to the bow unit for the TM? Does the HDS not allow you to network the unit AND have a dedicated transducer? Even a simple 2D sonar with a bow transducer would be sufficient to see fish and some structure.

I agree that having a unit networked is only good to locate waypoints with your current setup. I assume you are marking them with buoys thrown off the transom to fish them off the bow?

Maybe adding some info on your fishing process would help. Otherwise you will get a lot of go buy this unit etc and not sure exactly the problem you are trying to solve.


I am sure I could add a bow transducer to the 5, but with both units being 10 year old gen 1s I was thinking about upgrading to newer graphs, beginning with the front since that is where I am currently lacking the most capability. Throwing a marker buoy off the transom lets me get close, but I am still blind at the bow and become frustrated when I am not sure if I am back were I want to be because the buoy may have drifted after I chucked it or my aim was off a little or depending on the speed I was moving over the structure it was further back than I thought, etc.

So I guess the real problem I am trying to solve is upgrading my electronics. I am looking for input regarding why folks use a particular set up, pros / cons, what would they do different, why they prefer this over that, etc. I currently have Lowrance, but its only because it was on the boat when I bought it, I have no brand preference of my own yet.

Re: Front graph preferences... [Re: ~Moose~] #13606843 06/24/20 08:41 PM
Joined: May 2007
Posts: 3,345
K
Ken Gaby Offline
TFF Team Angler
Offline
TFF Team Angler
K
Joined: May 2007
Posts: 3,345
TMs with built in transducers are 2D only I believe unless Lowrance has changed. If you want DI up front, you'll have to get the DI transducer. The 2D works OK if you can read it well. The DI is a little better and you actually see limbs and fish. You can see fish also on 2D but not easily on a BP.
Suggest not using the transducer that comes with the unit on the TM. Might work just fine but sometimes there is interference on the screen. A transducer made for the TM has more shielding and eliminates interference.
I have Helix 9 console, and Helix 7 bow, and networked. I like the network feature. Accurately mark the structure with SI on the console and pull right up to it with the waypoint on the bow unit. Then hit spot lock, catch fish. Welllllll, that last part doesn't always work out that way.


A life without God is like an unsharpened pencil, it has no point. Billy Graham
http://www.proanglertackle.com Best crappie and catfish rods/reels
http://www.crazyanglertackle.com Premium crappie baits and jig tying accessories
www.thermoclinelures.com / "Helping YOU catch MORE & LARGER fish!"
http://www.beereadys.com World's Best Rod Holders
Re: Front graph preferences... [Re: ~Moose~] #13607068 06/24/20 11:36 PM
Joined: Feb 2008
Posts: 32
M
MasterCaster Offline
Outdoorsman
Offline
Outdoorsman
M
Joined: Feb 2008
Posts: 32
Running Simrad NSS Evo3’s. 12” in the console with 3D ducer and 9” on the bow with Totalscan ducer on the TM. If I have a do-over I would go with 12” on the bow instead of 9”. My eyes ain’t good.

Re: Front graph preferences... [Re: Slewfoot] #13608021 06/25/20 07:57 PM
Joined: Oct 2016
Posts: 122
~
~Moose~ Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
~
Joined: Oct 2016
Posts: 122
Originally Posted by Slewfoot
I run a carbon 12 on the console linked to a carbon 9 on the bow and a Garmin 126 for livescope. I can run a 1022 on the bow as well but it’s mainly a fancy crappie nibble tray! roflmao

I still have my Helix 9 and 360 transducer but haven’t used it in over a year. I need to sell it!


What made you decide to switch from Bird to Lowrance?

Re: Front graph preferences... [Re: Ken Gaby] #13608027 06/25/20 07:58 PM
Joined: Oct 2016
Posts: 122
~
~Moose~ Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
~
Joined: Oct 2016
Posts: 122
Originally Posted by Ken Gaby
TMs with built in transducers are 2D only I believe unless Lowrance has changed. If you want DI up front, you'll have to get the DI transducer. The 2D works OK if you can read it well. The DI is a little better and you actually see limbs and fish. You can see fish also on 2D but not easily on a BP.
Suggest not using the transducer that comes with the unit on the TM. Might work just fine but sometimes there is interference on the screen. A transducer made for the TM has more shielding and eliminates interference.
I have Helix 9 console, and Helix 7 bow, and networked. I like the network feature. Accurately mark the structure with SI on the console and pull right up to it with the waypoint on the bow unit. Then hit spot lock, catch fish. Welllllll, that last part doesn't always work out that way.


Do you find the 7 to be plenty large enough up front?

Re: Front graph preferences... [Re: ~Moose~] #13608112 06/25/20 09:03 PM
Joined: May 2007
Posts: 3,345
K
Ken Gaby Offline
TFF Team Angler
Offline
TFF Team Angler
K
Joined: May 2007
Posts: 3,345
So far it is. Have it mounted on a Ram that sticks up 6" so it's closer to the eyes. I'm just looking at way points and then the BP or tree. Not really worried about fish detail. If I want to see the fish better, it would be at least a 9 or probably a 10.


A life without God is like an unsharpened pencil, it has no point. Billy Graham
http://www.proanglertackle.com Best crappie and catfish rods/reels
http://www.crazyanglertackle.com Premium crappie baits and jig tying accessories
www.thermoclinelures.com / "Helping YOU catch MORE & LARGER fish!"
http://www.beereadys.com World's Best Rod Holders
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread


© 1998-2019 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.7.3