Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Caught a hacker [Re: chickenman] #13603297 06/21/20 10:40 PM
SkeeterRonnie Online Happy
Super Freak
Online Happy
Super Freak
little nerds need their routers kicked up between their ears!

Re: Caught a hacker [Re: Flippin-Out] #13603450 06/22/20 12:52 AM
B
BThomas Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
B
Originally Posted by Flippin-Out
McAfee is a dog on performance. I changed all the security settings on the network hardware provided by my ISP, so there was no need to buy other hardware, and probably not for him either. (He confirmed the hacker isn't a neighbor who might have used his Wifi.) I've also got mine set to NOT allow management port login from the web. This means it will not respond to any router management port login unless the source is part of my local network. As I said previously, the hacker doesn't need their security info - the hacker is not joining their local Wifi network - he's coming in through an open port from the ISP. They aren't hacking his local network over the airwaves, nor logging into his router management node.

It sounds like the router may have a setting or two that's not ideal. It's general firewall should be enabled, and ideally "Respond to ICMP Echo (ping) Request from WAN" should be turned off. Hopefully, the IPv6 firewall is also enabled. Hackers run probes for unprotected IP addresses, then see what they can find if one responds. The basic firewalls stop most, and changing default login credentials prevents neighbors within range from gaining easy access.

I have no issues with performance and McAfee. It's on every device in the house.

Re: Caught a hacker [Re: BThomas] #13604270 06/22/20 06:41 PM
R
redskeet100 Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
R
Originally Posted by BThomas
You should replace the router/firewall that your ISP sends you with your own(make sure it's on their approved list). The problem with ISP supplied equipment is,
their Administrative users and passwords are readily available on the internet. I replaced my ISPs with an Arris SB6190 and then placed an IDS/IPS, then switches and AP's.

I have full control of my network. The ISP cannot even log into my network. I used Ubiquiti hardware. Very good stuff and very reasonably priced. I also use McAfee on every device
that connects to my network and enable and configure the McAfee firewall.

This is definitely the way to go. I did the same, purchase my own cable modem and wireless router. Changed the passwords from default to custom and feel pretty secure. Any anti-virus is going to be a performance hit. I have yet to see one not affect performance.

Re: Caught a hacker [Re: chickenman] #13604303 06/22/20 07:07 PM
F
Flippin-Out Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
F
redskeet, most hackers are remote. That means they don't get into your system on your local Wifi at you home. They come in via the ISP connection to your equipment, and they do not need the admin password to your modem or router. Only the local neighborhood kid hacker tries to get in that way. Even then, once again, he doesn't have to log into your router's admin page, which is where all of you seem to be focusing. The local kid wants to get onto your Wifi, so he will need the SSID and the key phrase. Those are readily changed on any equipment. There is nothing magical about you buying something that did not come from the ISP. What matters is what security measures you enable, and in some cases, how you set them up.

When a hacker has drilled into your home's local network, if you were logged into your router, and looking at the active list of connected devices, you will not see any device you don't expect to be there. That's not how they get in (unless it's a neighborhood geek who has employed sniffers to figure out your SSID and pass-phrase), and yes, that can be done too, especially with ample time. If you want to stop local access hackers like the neighbor kid, it helps to set up a mac address filter. Only devices you put on the list as identified by their mac address will not be rejected. That's a bit more work to set up, but one of the strongest security measures you can take to prevent local access. There might be a few potential bad guys within range, but usually not many, if any. Geographical security minimizes that exposure for you.

If you buy a router, but leave it vulnerable in configuration, that's where the keys are left in the lock. The admin login or Wifi security, though important, are not the defining difference for remote hackers, who can be anywhere in the world. Unless you have some fairly deep understanding of the security mechanisms offered by a router, you probably haven't done anything that makes a difference you couldn't have made on the other equipment. If you do know, and you buy a higher end router, then yes, you can make quite a difference. Did you turn on NAT? Did you enable any smart DoS feature? Did you set up IPv6?

Re: Caught a hacker [Re: Flippin-Out] #13604326 06/22/20 07:28 PM
C
Canino Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
C
Originally Posted by Flippin-Out
When a hacker has drilled into your home's local network, if you were logged into your router, and looking at the active list of connected devices, you will not see any device you don't expect to be there. That's not how they get in (unless it's a neighborhood geek who has employed sniffers to figure out your SSID and pass-phrase), and yes, that can be done too, especially with ample time. If you want to stop local access hackers like the neighbor kid, it helps to set up a mac address filter. Only devices you put on the list as identified by their mac address will not be rejected. That's a bit more work to set up, but one of the strongest security measures you can take to prevent local access. There might be a few potential bad guys within range, but usually not many, if any. Geographical security minimizes that exposure for you.

MAC filtering isn't a helpful security feature against someone using a sniffer. The MAC address is in the outer encapsulation layer of the packet, and there is no encryption applied to that level. Grabbing a MAC address is trivial and standard wardriving tools will display them.

All MAC filtering does is keep devices from connecting automatically if for some reason you don't want them to, or to keep the clients from communicating with each other (forcing them to only communicate with the gateway).

Re: Caught a hacker [Re: chickenman] #13604349 06/22/20 07:42 PM
S
Scagnetti Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
S
All this technical talk makes my network pants go crazy!

[Linked Image]

Re: Caught a hacker [Re: Duck_Hunter] #13604678 06/23/20 12:27 AM
butch sanders Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
Originally Posted by Duck_Hunter
Yikes!

couldn't have said it better

Re: Caught a hacker [Re: CCTX] #13604693 06/23/20 12:38 AM
K
Keystone Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity
K
Originally Posted by CCTX
Looks Russian.

^^^^^^^^^^^

Re: Caught a hacker [Re: chickenman] #13604740 06/23/20 01:38 AM
RipDaLips Offline
Old n Crusty
Old n Crusty
Please, please post this dudes ip addy. farmer

Some folks mouths, flat out runs their minds.
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide