texasfishingforum.com logo
Main Menu
Advertisement
Affiliates
Advertisement
Newest Members
Cameron Gose, Jetskirentals512, Flashin Assassin Lures, SoonerTex0623, Bobby J.
119181 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
hopalong 121,007
TexDawg 119,783
Bigbob_FTW 95,320
John175☮ 85,918
Pilothawk 83,274
Bob Davis 82,323
Mark Perry 72,485
Derek 🐝 68,321
JDavis7873 67,416
Forum Statistics
Forums59
Topics1,038,876
Posts13,954,625
Members144,181
Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
I always have an open spot on the bank #13600281 06/19/20 12:52 AM
Caribou Offline OP
TFF Guru
OP Offline
TFF Guru
I know over the years, people will pop in the carp section, ask a couple questions then never come back. My guess is, the Euro style of fishing can be very overwhelming when you first find out about it. If anybody frequenting the carp section is interested in learning a little more about this style of fishing, just send me a message. I fish a couple times a week, and am always happy to have some body tag along and ask questions. I’m not an expert by any stretch, but I can usually manage to catch a fish or 2. I enjoy teaching people things, and would be happy to introduce people to my favorite style of fishing.

Last edited by Caribou; 06/19/20 12:52 AM.

Re: I always have an open spot on the bank [Re: Caribou] #13600819 06/19/20 02:20 PM
O
Osbornfishing Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
O
Nice offer. Send pictures if you get any takers. thumb

Re: I always have an open spot on the bank [Re: Caribou] #13603713 06/22/20 09:38 AM
K
kaboboom Offline
Angler
Angler
K
Caribou,
I have a good understanding of Euro style carping, but in the smallish community lake I fish near home, I really don't understand why I would take the trouble to pre-bait "way out there", and then buy all the gear needed to cast out that far. I fish with really light rods...fly rods, actually...that I cast 20-30 ft from the bank, about as far as I can toss handfuls of rabbit food and boiled corn. Isn't the idea of baiting a swim that the carp will find it and feed there? It seems to work for me. I think my little lake is mostly barren away from the banks. I realize other places may require casting 100 ft or more, and that it would be fun to hook-up with so much line out, but when I hook a decent carp and they run, sometimes into my backing, that's the part of the action fly guys enjoy most. I could do the same with fairly light spinning gear for kids, but they'd have to manage the drag skillfully. Using a fly rod and a simple fly reel, you learn how to palm the spool to manage tension. So I think there are methods for catching carp in community lakes that don't require specialized gear that are "closer in", both literally and figuratively, and these could be "gateway" methods before plunking down the dough to get expensive, multi-rod Euro systems.

Last edited by kaboboom; 06/22/20 09:48 AM.
Re: I always have an open spot on the bank [Re: kaboboom] #13604125 06/22/20 04:58 PM
Caribou Offline OP
TFF Guru
OP Offline
TFF Guru
Originally Posted by kaboboom
Caribou,
I have a good understanding of Euro style carping, but in the smallish community lake I fish near home, I really don't understand why I would take the trouble to pre-bait "way out there", and then buy all the gear needed to cast out that far. I fish with really light rods...fly rods, actually...that I cast 20-30 ft from the bank, about as far as I can toss handfuls of rabbit food and boiled corn. Isn't the idea of baiting a swim that the carp will find it and feed there? It seems to work for me. I think my little lake is mostly barren away from the banks. I realize other places may require casting 100 ft or more, and that it would be fun to hook-up with so much line out, but when I hook a decent carp and they run, sometimes into my backing, that's the part of the action fly guys enjoy most. I could do the same with fairly light spinning gear for kids, but they'd have to manage the drag skillfully. Using a fly rod and a simple fly reel, you learn how to palm the spool to manage tension. So I think there are methods for catching carp in community lakes that don't require specialized gear that are "closer in", both literally and figuratively, and these could be "gateway" methods before plunking down the dough to get expensive, multi-rod Euro systems.

Absolutely correct. I often fee a little silly setting up $1000 worth of equipment to catch carp in my community ponds. It can absolutely be done with cheaper gear. But even if you have workable rods and reels, even a kind of Okay quality pod and bite alarms will run you $100-$250. Then there’s specialized leads, baiting tools, bait, etc, and the cost can add up quickly. So guys know they want to catch carp, but don’t know if they want to invest the money in euro style gear. That’s the stuff I’m happy to show them.

When fishing small ponds, you rarely need to cast to features. They are usually just silty bottom with some weeds, and small enough to fish the margins and have success. If you’re fishing bigger water, you may not have a good spot close to the bank, and having long range baiting tools, and rods and reels that can cast that far will drastically up your catch rate.

Re: I always have an open spot on the bank [Re: Caribou] #13604225 06/22/20 06:09 PM
C
Curt0407 Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
C
[Linked Image]

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide