texasfishingforum.com logo
Main Menu
Advertisement
Affiliates
Advertisement
Newest Members
Cameron Gose, Jetskirentals512, Flashin Assassin Lures, SoonerTex0623, Bobby J.
119181 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
hopalong 121,021
TexDawg 119,788
Bigbob_FTW 95,327
Pilothawk 83,274
Bob Davis 82,356
Mark Perry 72,488
JDavis7873ฎ 67,416
Forum Statistics
Forums59
Topics1,038,912
Posts13,955,226
Members144,181
Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 6 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Re: Summer Tournament Mortality [Re: Minner Bucket] #13598197 06/17/20 02:58 PM
J
Jarrett Latta Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
J
Todd Driscoll did a series of videos on fish care with Ken Smith on you tube. Very easy to find and about as informative as you'll find since Todd is not only a TPW Biologist but a tournament fisherman.

Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: Summer Tournament Mortality [Re: Flippin-Out] #13598236 06/17/20 03:27 PM
S
sprigsss Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
S
Originally Posted by Flippin-Out
If you are fishing a tournament that won't let you weigh in a dead fish (or "release it"), then what would stop you from moving it to a cooler immediately upon discovering it has died? You've already set up the scenario that it can't be weighed, so it's out of play, and into the cooler it can go!

Yeah, I had a typo, I'm referring to tournaments that do not allow you to weigh iced fish. Pretty sure you can weigh in a dead fish in most tourneys with a penalty.

Last edited by sprigsss; 06/17/20 03:28 PM.
Re: Summer Tournament Mortality [Re: Minner Bucket] #13598340 06/17/20 04:40 PM
9094 Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
Guys
I posted the question of cooling water down below 75 to 60 on the Ponds and Private waters section here on TFF. There are several guys over there that raise fish, stock fish, move fish etc for private waters.
I asked this because I had always been told that putting a fish from a cold tank to a warm lake with out tempering would kill them. It does.
You guys should go over there and read the thread. It is Meadowlark and other fish raiser.
I would post it here but don't know how.

Re: Summer Tournament Mortality [Re: Minner Bucket] #13598396 06/17/20 05:19 PM
Okie Poke Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
No matter how well you treat your fish that you plan to weigh in at 3pm, guess what happens to them when you walk them down to the ramp after the tourney? You're right, golden eye. No fish can live through and acclimate back to normal hot lake temps in the summer. Kill 'em now or kill 'em later, Save 1/2lb penalty and delay it a little.....It's all part of the eco-system. Fish are made to die. There's more out there...go getcha some!

๐Ÿ˜Ž Dallas Cowboys....eventual Superbowl Champions ๐Ÿ˜Ž

Re: Summer Tournament Mortality [Re: Okie Poke] #13598517 06/17/20 06:55 PM
B
Bobby Milam Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
B
Originally Posted by Okie Poke
No matter how well you treat your fish that you plan to weigh in at 3pm, guess what happens to them when you walk them down to the ramp after the tourney? You're right, golden eye. No fish can live through and acclimate back to normal hot lake temps in the summer. Kill 'em now or kill 'em later, Save 1/2lb penalty and delay it a little.....It's all part of the eco-system. Fish are made to die. There's more out there...go getcha some!

I was raised to respect nature and not waste it. They can for the most part acclimate back if "sportsman" cared enough to do it right. Unfortunately to many, they are just a way to play a game and try to make money. You understand you are part of the eco system also and you are made to die but I bet you expect to get every opportunity to extend that as long as possible. I understand that fish will die and that's just part of life but to not attempt to make an effort to lower the numbers on what is a finite resource is just ridiculous. Hopefully most were raised a little better than you and the fish will be here for future generations.

Re: Summer Tournament Mortality [Re: Flippin-Out] #13598521 06/17/20 06:56 PM
206champion Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
Originally Posted by Flippin-Out
Frank, how do those do anything when the boat sits off-pad for 90% of the day? I've never been convinced of that gimmick.

I have had them on my boat for years they do work my fish are always lively this is what I do when itโ€™s hot I constantly run my aerators except when Iโ€™m on plane then I run the recirculated pumps, I rarely have a fish die unless heโ€™s hooked deep and bleeding or for what ever reason heโ€™s hooked through the tongue. I would highly recommend the live well vents.

Re: Summer Tournament Mortality [Re: Bobby Milam] #13598626 06/17/20 08:24 PM
Okie Poke Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
Originally Posted by Bobby Milam
Originally Posted by Okie Poke

I was raised to respect nature and not waste it. They can for the most part acclimate back if "sportsman" cared enough to do it right. Unfortunately to many, they are just a way to play a game and try to make money. You understand you are part of the eco system also and you are made to die but I bet you expect to get every opportunity to extend that as long as possible. I understand that fish will die and that's just part of life but to not attempt to make an effort to lower the numbers on what is a finite resource is just ridiculous. Hopefully most were raised a little better than you and the fish will be here for future generations.

Sorry, Bobby....but if you think you can cool your livewells down to 70 degrees when the lake temps are 90 and let your fish ride around all day, and then at weigh-in dump them back into the lake with temps at 90 and have them survive.....I'll be the first to tell you that you are wrong. I don't like to see fish die. I don't tourney fish anymore, but when I did, i took care of my fish prolly better than 90% of the anglers. I always did ice, but not too much, and rejuvenate. I very rarely ever had a fish die, and I tourney fished for 25 years. I'm not sure what you meant by your last statement, but I'm all about preserving our sport that we all love so much and save every fish that we can. But some will die, period. They can be replenished, too. BTW....you don't know how I was raised so stop thinking that you do because I made some comments on a fishing forum about fish mortality. Where's the nearest boat ramp?

๐Ÿ˜Ž Dallas Cowboys....eventual Superbowl Champions ๐Ÿ˜Ž

Re: Summer Tournament Mortality [Re: Minner Bucket] #13598889 06/17/20 11:59 PM
F
Fast Lane Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
F
Cold water can hold more dissolved oxygen than warm water. In winter and early spring, when the water temperature is low, the dissolved oxygen concentration is high. As the water temperature is increased the molecules gain in average energy and they are more able to overcome the attractive potential that keeps them in solution and the vapor pressure of the solvent increases and the solubility of the gas decreases.

Re: Summer Tournament Mortality [Re: Minner Bucket] #13598934 06/18/20 12:27 AM
ToadSnatcher14 Offline
Team Slot Fish
Team Slot Fish
I try to keep my fish alive, if they die then they taste great with tarter sauce and lemons.

Re: Summer Tournament Mortality [Re: Chris B] #13599044 06/18/20 01:55 AM
T
txmasterpo Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
T
Originally Posted by Chris B
Well we could just take em home and fillet them.

As you should if there's any question about mortality

http://www.trccovers.com

"I am large, I contain multitudes."

Walt Whitman
Re: Summer Tournament Mortality [Re: Jack46] #13599047 06/18/20 01:59 AM
T
txmasterpo Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
T
Originally Posted by Jack46
Originally Posted by MCIPinkie
Here's my $0.02.

Do the best you can to keep fish alive. .

Biggest problem is the public doesn't know or care. They see dead fish. They blame tournament fishermen for ruining the lake.

We have to quit releasing fish at the ramp. Club or pot tournaments should use one of the competitors boats as a release boat and take fish away from the ramp for release. For profit tournaments should have a release boat. Real world, may not save the life of a single fish, but at least gets the floaters away from the ramp.

Tournament directors and or the contestants should really make an effort to hide tournament bass kills like that from the prying eyes of the public at all cost. Summer tournament bass kills are a big PR deal these days. Ray Scott (Mr. B.A.S.S.) recognized that tournament bass kills was a serious PR problem half a century ago and C&R was born.

Dead tournament bass floating up around a public boat ramp is not, never has been and never will be a fishery conservation problem with the great restocking programs run by State Fish and Game agencies and thatโ€™s all FREE. Summer bass kills like this have always been a serious public relation problem for the tournament directors only if and when the media discovers the fish kill. When the media starts taking pics and writing about the kill floating up and stinking the place up, that is a problem.
Regardless of where those fish were dumped or who is/was responsible for dumping them at that boat rampโ€ฆ why do you think all those fish died after released alive anyway? Toxic water around the boat ramp poisoned those bass when they were dumped in it, maybe?

So donโ€™t worry, be happy because the State Fish Hatcheries will definitely restock those bass fisheries for us and everything will good to go for the next tournament for years to come. You can bet the state bass fisheries are well protected, excellently managed and protected from any harm and restocked constantly by the State Fishery Departments in every state. And the tax payers shall always pick up the restocking cost. The whole system from the state hatcheries to the incidental summer bass tournament fish kills actually works extremely well, there will always be plenty of bass to catch and eat.

This is NOT true for small east Texas lakes....most don't get stocked for many years at a time

http://www.trccovers.com

"I am large, I contain multitudes."

Walt Whitman
Re: Summer Tournament Mortality [Re: John175โ˜ฎ] #13599066 06/18/20 02:11 AM
S
slopez Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
S

Originally Posted by John175โ˜ฎ
Brawndo... it's got what bass crave.

๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚

Re: Summer Tournament Mortality [Re: Minner Bucket] #13599714 06/18/20 04:48 PM
T
Tx Tree Grower Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
T
I have never been in a boat that had a live well with a pure oxygen system and diffusers until a few weeks ago. We fished some private lakes with a friend that does some pond management for some large private ranches. We were catching and relocating some 3lb and smaller bass from an existing pond to a new pond they had constructed. The boat we were in was a black aluminum boat with a non insulated livewell. The boat was HOT and the livewell water was like bath water. I mean this water was hot to the touch. However he had oxygen bottles and the proper diffusers. We were cramming up 25 fish at a time in this livewell and those fish were impossible to catch and move to the transfer tank. They were so lively. It blew my mind. I would not have believed it if I didn't see it with my own eyes. It made a believer out of me. Even the deep hooked fish seemed to recover quickly. I will be adding an oxygen system to my boat soon. If you look at all the people including the state that do fishery management and stocking, they are all running oxygen in their transfer tanks. Not sure why it took so long to start getting popular in bass boats.

Re: Summer Tournament Mortality [Re: Minner Bucket] #13600000 06/18/20 09:22 PM
BrockstaRama Online Content
Extreme Angler
Online Content
Extreme Angler
My recirc runs every 5 minutes and about mid day we pull out the water to a safe depth then refill. Not sure how my live Well is any different but every weigh in the fish are still trying to jump out of my livewell. Never used ice.

When I am not fishing I am thinking about fishing. And mostly what I should have done differently my last trip!
#Brockstarama
Re: Summer Tournament Mortality [Re: Tx Tree Grower] #13600156 06/18/20 11:31 PM
F
Frank the Tank Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
F
Originally Posted by Tx Tree Grower
I have never been in a boat that had a live well with a pure oxygen system and diffusers until a few weeks ago. We fished some private lakes with a friend that does some pond management for some large private ranches. We were catching and relocating some 3lb and smaller bass from an existing pond to a new pond they had constructed. The boat we were in was a black aluminum boat with a non insulated livewell. The boat was HOT and the livewell water was like bath water. I mean this water was hot to the touch. However he had oxygen bottles and the proper diffusers. We were cramming up 25 fish at a time in this livewell and those fish were impossible to catch and move to the transfer tank. They were so lively. It blew my mind. I would not have believed it if I didn't see it with my own eyes. It made a believer out of me. Even the deep hooked fish seemed to recover quickly. I will be adding an oxygen system to my boat soon. If you look at all the people including the state that do fishery management and stocking, they are all running oxygen in their transfer tanks. Not sure why it took so long to start getting popular in bass boats.

Youโ€™ll get the same results with the livewell vents. Much simpler.

Jesus loves all of us
Page 6 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide