Print Thread
Page 4 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Re: Summer Tournament Mortality [Re: Minner Bucket] #13594551 06/14/20 07:28 PM
O
ogles824 (aka Lakewaydr50) Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
O
I fished the BFL @ Lake of the Pines yesterday as a non boater and the first thing the pro did was fill the live well with ice. I was very concerned about this as well, and actually have thought what the deal would be if anybody wanted to keep their catch in these sort of conditions. At least they wouldn't end up as turtle food. I figure this COVID thing is probably going to put us back in this very situation next year, though I hope not. I'm fishing the Cowboy division next year and hope we are finished, except for the Championship way before summer gets here.

2012 ZX200 Skeeter
2012 Yamaha 200 SHO

Isaiah 40:31 "but those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles, they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint.
Proud student of the Pro Staffer.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TzwF72B2F2w&t=14s
Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: Summer Tournament Mortality [Re: ogles824 (aka Lakewaydr50)] #13596172 06/16/20 01:15 AM
J
Jack46 Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
J
Originally Posted by ogles824 (aka Lakewaydr50)
I fished the BFL @ Lake of the Pines yesterday as a non boater and the first thing the pro did was fill the live well with ice. I was very concerned about this as well, and actually have thought what the deal would be if anybody wanted to keep their catch in these sort of conditions.

You’re not alone. Illinois DNR research, opinion and recommendation about chilling bass boat livewells with ice in the summer. Don’t do it. This DNR research and fishery biologist opinion directly opposes the age old belief and common practice that chilling summer livewell water with ice is not good bass care in summer bass tournaments… additional unnecessary temperature stress.

IDNR Recommends Caution at Fishing Tournaments Due to Hot Weather
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: CONTACT Chris McCloud (217) 785-0075 for more information
https://www2.illinois.gov/dnr/news/...atFishingTournamentsDuetoHotWeather.aspx

*Research has demonstrated that the water quality conditions in even the best boat live-wells can reach near-lethal or lethal conditions during the heat of summer.

*Maintaining conditions in the live well:

Tournament anglers should ensure aeration is continuous in their live-well, with occasional water changes made through the day. Although bottles of ice may be considered as a way to cool the water in live-wells, ***recent research indicates there is little benefit to bass survival of using ice bottles since wide variations in water temperature appears to be more stressful than warm, steady water temperatures for bass.

[i][/i][u][/u]

Re: Summer Tournament Mortality [Re: Minner Bucket] #13596208 06/16/20 01:43 AM
MBF Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
I miss the old days when all fishing was banned during the spawn. I am not catching near the bass that I used to due to pressure. Sad as we have several tournaments every weekend on my home lake.

Re: Summer Tournament Mortality [Re: Minner Bucket] #13596445 06/16/20 11:22 AM
John175☮ Offline
MACHO MAN
MACHO MAN
Brawndo... it's got what bass crave.

“Do not pray for easier lives. Pray to be stronger men.” -JFK
Re: Summer Tournament Mortality [Re: Minner Bucket] #13596634 06/16/20 01:50 PM
206champion Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
Mbf when was fishing banned here inTexas during the spawn?

Re: Summer Tournament Mortality [Re: Jack46] #13596648 06/16/20 01:57 PM
B
Burbarry Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
B
Originally Posted by Jack46
Originally Posted by ogles824 (aka Lakewaydr50)
I fished the BFL @ Lake of the Pines yesterday as a non boater and the first thing the pro did was fill the live well with ice. I was very concerned about this as well, and actually have thought what the deal would be if anybody wanted to keep their catch in these sort of conditions.

You’re not alone. Illinois DNR research, opinion and recommendation about chilling bass boat livewells with ice in the summer. Don’t do it. This DNR research and fishery biologist opinion directly opposes the age old belief and common practice that chilling summer livewell water with ice is not good bass care in summer bass tournaments… additional unnecessary temperature stress.

IDNR Recommends Caution at Fishing Tournaments Due to Hot Weather
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: CONTACT Chris McCloud (217) 785-0075 for more information
https://www2.illinois.gov/dnr/news/...atFishingTournamentsDuetoHotWeather.aspx

*Research has demonstrated that the water quality conditions in even the best boat live-wells can reach near-lethal or lethal conditions during the heat of summer.

*Maintaining conditions in the live well:

Tournament anglers should ensure aeration is continuous in their live-well, with occasional water changes made through the day. Although bottles of ice may be considered as a way to cool the water in live-wells, ***recent research indicates there is little benefit to bass survival of using ice bottles since wide variations in water temperature appears to be more stressful than warm, steady water temperatures for bass.

[i][/i][u][/u]

As a saltwater fish tank guy I can see how this would hurt the fish if you dumped them into ice cold water. I've heard that running the live well whole day with fish in it is better. But, in Texas a few ice cubes tossed into the livewell to get fresh oxygen into the water and help slow rising livewell temps might be the best thing for the fish. I'm not saying dump a whole bag in a time. But, maybe a big hand full every hour as the day gets hotter. I had to use this method when I lost power in my house and had generator running the fish tank. Every few hours I would toss a handful of ice into the tank for 2 days until power was restored at my house. Even had small fan running on the top of the water to help keep it cool.

Re: Summer Tournament Mortality [Re: Minner Bucket] #13596652 06/16/20 01:59 PM
Mark Perry Online Content
Super Freak
Online Content
Super Freak
One Eye lives.

Re: Summer Tournament Mortality [Re: Minner Bucket] #13596685 06/16/20 02:11 PM
B
bbassfishes Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
B
V-T2 Livewell Vents

Say what you want about them and their price, but they work. I have had these on the boats i Have ran and never lost a fish. I don't need to use ice or special sauces to help. I just run my normal aerators and let these do what they do. I have not lost a fish since I started using them. That's just my opinion on it though.

Re: Summer Tournament Mortality [Re: Minner Bucket] #13596738 06/16/20 02:44 PM
S
sprigsss Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
S
Of course dumping fish in ice cold water would be stressful. This isn't what people are doing.

I put 40 lbs of ice in my livewell last weekend on Hubbard Creek. I idled out to deeper 80F water and filled my livewell while running to the first spot. There wasn't a cube of ice left when I stopped. The water temp was certainly cooler, but it was no where near icewater. I didn't have a thermometer to measure, but I bet the livewell was probably somewhere in the mid 60's.

When you are fishing 15-20' of water, that water temp is nowhere near what you are measuring at the surface. That's really all the ice is doing is getting you closer to the water temps where the fish were caught, and increases in DO. Lower oxygen levels is going to be much harder on the fish than small changes in temperature.

Re: Summer Tournament Mortality [Re: Minner Bucket] #13596808 06/16/20 03:28 PM
S
sprigsss Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
S
Fished a tournament a couple of weeks ago on Ivie. Had a 5.6 lb, a 3+ and a 1.5 lb fish n the livewell. I caught the smallest fish shallow in the lip, wasn't hooked in gills, or hooked deep or anything.

At 9:00 I caught another 3 lber and when I went to cull the 1.5 lber was dead and stiff. So of course I had to release the 3 lber and was forced to weigh in my smallest fish. But it was only 9:00 in the morning.

Would that fish have been edible at 3-4:00 later that evening floating around in a livewell of 70-80F water?

Don't most tournaments prohibit the weighing in of iced/chilled fish? I was fishing in a club tournament so I put him in the ice chest and fileted him along with the 18 or so crappie we caught that day while trying to catch a bass.

Fish ended up costing me 1.5 lbs on the cull and a half lb penalty. I was 2 lbs out of the money. Was the first dead fish I've ever weighed in and I just don't understand why THAT fish died.

Re: Summer Tournament Mortality [Re: MBF] #13596822 06/16/20 03:37 PM
9094 Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
Originally Posted by MBF
I miss the old days when all fishing was banned during the spawn. I am not catching near the bass that I used to due to pressure. Sad as we have several tournaments every weekend on my home lake.

It has never been banned in Texas. You are going to the wrong lakes or getting worse at fishing.

Re: Summer Tournament Mortality [Re: sprigsss] #13596867 06/16/20 04:17 PM
C
coachallentca Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
C
Originally Posted by sprigsss
Fished a tournament a couple of weeks ago on Ivie. Had a 5.6 lb, a 3+ and a 1.5 lb fish n the livewell. I caught the smallest fish shallow in the lip, wasn't hooked in gills, or hooked deep or anything.

At 9:00 I caught another 3 lber and when I went to cull the 1.5 lber was dead and stiff. So of course I had to release the 3 lber and was forced to weigh in my smallest fish. But it was only 9:00 in the morning.

Would that fish have been edible at 3-4:00 later that evening floating around in a livewell of 70-80F water?

Don't most tournaments prohibit the weighing in of iced/chilled fish? I was fishing in a club tournament so I put him in the ice chest and fileted him along with the 18 or so crappie we caught that day while trying to catch a bass.

Fish ended up costing me 1.5 lbs on the cull and a half lb penalty. I was 2 lbs out of the money. Was the first dead fish I've ever weighed in and I just don't understand why THAT fish died.

Did you run recir all the time or on a timer? Also I have split livewells and I will put the biggest fish alone by itself when hot...

Re: Summer Tournament Mortality [Re: sprigsss] #13596896 06/16/20 04:48 PM
F
Flippin-Out Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
F
Originally Posted by sprigsss

That fish may have already been stressed for some reason unknown to you, but coach is right on target. As water temp. rises, water can hold less dissolved oxygen. Inversely, the cooler it is, the more readily it will absorb more oxygen. (This is all physics.). Do what you can to increase the dissolved oxygen level in your water, and slow the fish's metabolism (also by cooling the water).

I lived/fished south Florida for 20 years, and it's hotter there than Texas. My warm (and sometimes HOT) water tactic was: livewell overflow plugged to retain a full load of water (plugs are available for this, T&H sells them), treatment in water (pre-dissolved in a water bottle), recirculation on full time when appropriate, "air bubbler" type add-on device with two large airstones running full-time, and finally, a frozen 2 liter soda bottle, cap on tight, in the livewell to cool the water. I carried 6 or 7 of the bottles in cooler in the boat and swapped out the livewell bottle as needed. BTW, TPWD testing seemed to show the "Oxygenator" probably isn't worth the power used to activate it.

Re: Summer Tournament Mortality [Re: Fast Lane] #13596931 06/16/20 05:29 PM
F
Flippin-Out Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
F
Originally Posted by Fast Lane
Originally Posted by ThyWillBeDone
Treat with something to take hard metals out since the ice may have metals in it. I heard some will fill a few 2 liter bottles with lake water and feeeze that the night before to put on livewells. As long as it never leaks or gets opened - I guess it doesn’t have to be lake water. Ice and tap water have the hard metals in it.

Just put a bag of ice in each live well and fill it up and use sure-life. I rarely have a dead fish. I can't remember how long it's been.

"Reddy Ice products are filtered and produced by the most stringent standards and sanitary conditions. Our ice is IPIA-certified and is always made from filtered water and produced in a food grade environment (untouched by human hands) creating a safe and sanitary food product for our consumers"

Does that filtering remove the chlorine? I don't think so, and that's the thing that the fish have an issue with. Of course, water treatment products will often neutralize the chlorine. Bagged chip ice melts quickly, causing a rapid cool, then it slowly starts warming again. I prefer the frozen bottle approach, swapping them out as needed. I keep a floating pool thermometer in the livewell.

Re: Summer Tournament Mortality [Re: senko9S] #13596953 06/16/20 05:42 PM
F
Flippin-Out Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
F
Originally Posted by senko9S
i get your trying but those bubbles dissipate at the surface. ice would create more 02 than that.

Yes, bubbles are gone again at the surface, but not all the oxygen in the air emitted from the airstone reaches the surface. Granted, the amount absorbed may be small, but cooler water has a higher max. saturation level, so it more readily accepts additional oxygen into solution.

When I lived in south Florida, I would sometimes fish with wild shiners at Stick Marsh, a 3 hour drive from home. My bait shop buddy would put them into my boat's livewell on Friday afternoon - 3 dozen or more large wild shiners, with instructions to run that air bubbler 24/7. That's a big load of shiners, and they were 6 inch minimum. I'm rather sure that with no aeration, they would have been dead in 2-3 hours. With ONLY that bubbler (like Hop's) running, we still had feisty shiners over 24 hours later. So, it had to have been doing something, wouldn't you say?

BTW, please explain how ice "creates" saturated oxygen.

Last edited by Flippin-Out; 06/16/20 05:44 PM.
Page 4 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide