Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Article 23 - Deep Grass #13593426 06/13/20 04:03 PM
Donald Harper Online Happy OP
TFF Guru
OP Online Happy
TFF Guru
Article 23 – Deep Grass

All of this information stems from my experiences on Lake Amistad from 1998 to 2008 when the deep grass was producing fish up to 10 lbs.. There is absolutely no need to use any other technique when you are at any lake with Hydrilla 20 ft tall. In this day and time we are hard pressed to find lakes with such grass. Your secret will remain a secret with me. I would cherish the opportunity to go with you and teach the techniques of the Heavy Drop Shot Rig. I have not experienced any other technique that has produced more fish over 5 lbs..

It is coming to that time of year where the lakes that produce this deep grass will be showing their full potential. Grass comes and goes in Texas with water fluctuation and the degree of the severity of our Winter months. We had one of the mildest Winters this year and the water levels are stable. I am expecting to see our grass lakes producing those deep contour runs of Hydrilla. Big bass love that deep grass. It takes clear water for light penetration and a past history of grass. Lakes like Amistad, Rayburn and Toledo Bend are just three that come to mind with such a history. If you are planning a trip for a few days and want to experience something different then begin your research. It will be the most fun trip you will ever take. Keep in mind that there are some small jewels of a lake out there; so make some calls to fisherman that are in the know to pick one that will fit your schedule.

The starting point is always structure related and on contour. You have to have an irregular feature to meet your grass, and that's where the bass are going to be. For bass to be congregated it is a big PLUS to have a point or a creek channel bend. There has to be something different. There will be miles of vegetation that looks the same, but you need to find the little key spots like depth changes or drops. Look at the cuts, points, pickets or other irregular features along the edge of a well defined grass line. There will be channels and ditches that have grass growing right down the middle.

The next ones you go to may only have it growing on the sides of these structures as sediment down the middle just does not support the growth.
- Look for vegetation beneath the surface. If you are seeing matted grass on the surface it may not have the depth needed or the bottom composition to hold big Bass.
- Look for spots void of growth, with small breaks in the grass bed run. This is an indication of larger hard rock that produces pods of grass which huge Bass love.
- Points grow a distinctive Horseshoe shape in the grass line out and around the contour.
- Funnels are formed by the channel or other depressions where submerged Hydrilla is actually hanging over the edge of the ditch bank forming a canape.
- A creek channel making a bend against the grass provides the ultimate combination of cover and structure.
- Get next to the deepest water you can find with this deep grass growing 20 feet tall and just under the surface which makes the area less obvious.

It is a challenge because you have to rely on your electronics a lot more to find the points and pockets that have the deep grass beds. When you find that one special spot, just a small grass bed in deep water can hold some big fish. Stay glued to the contour map so you can turn into these small depressions that only have one or two feet of irregular depression which produces that notch in the grass line. It is not always clearly defined on your depth finder. Straight lines where the grass stops are the easiest to find and follow. This is not always the best spot, what you're looking for is that irregular edge, where the grass is thinner and not a solid wall. The Bass seem to stage there better where it is scattered and broken so they can ambush. You will find those smaller clumps producing as they come out to feed in the open areas between the thickest grass.

The heavy drop shot will help you get that huge fish you have been looking for and I have not found another punch rig to beat it. It works everywhere, even in shallow mat but best on the deepest grass you can find. They will be grouped up under the hollow. If the wind is blowing you can get in there on the upwind side; put the trolling motor up and big motor up and walk the boat across the mat by rocking the boat from side to side letting the wind drift you across. In the heat of the day they are burred up in the grass.

Rigging A Heavy Drop Shot:
[Linked Image]

- Use a 5.0 heavy super line hook tied on 50# braid with a Palomar knot.
- Leave the tag end at 5 inches long.
- Tie a 1 oz. weight to the tag end. I just tie a knot in the end of the tag, then use an overhand slip knot to attach the weight. It doesn't take much to keep it on. When I am fishing grass with hardwoods and it gets hung on the wood I can pull the weight off and come out with the hook and fish. The hook is about 4 to 5 inches above the weight, so the tails of the bait will hang down and cover the weight.
- Use a Gene Lawrue Hoo Daddy Jr. in Watermelon Neon. This is not Watermelon/Red although they look almost the same; but it makes a great difference.

It will drop in the grass and come out of the grass with no hang-ups or slop on the bait or weight. Fish vertical to slightly in front of the boat. Directly over the rig is best on the deepest grass. Drop it in slowly and soft so it is traveling slowly when it touches the bottom. The Bass hate anything sneaking in on them. Hold it there with a tight line for about 5 seconds without any movement. They don't want it bouncing up and down. This gives them time to swim through the hollow under the grass and nail the bait. Fish a vertical presentation and moving along the outer edge of the grass line, making pitches out in front of the boat so by the time it gets to the bottom you are directly over the bait for the hook set.
HAVE FUN!!

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Each person you work with holds some promise to your future success.
Websiite Sponsors:
www.eletewater.com - Staying Hydrated
www.lakeoviachic.com - Booking Mexico Trips
20 Hot Spot Mapping - GPS Contour Chips - Custom Spinner Baits - Jigs -Spooks
Pure Extracts - Minnow-Night Crawler-Crayfish-Craylic

Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: Article 23 - Deep Grass [Re: Donald Harper] #13593630 06/13/20 08:32 PM
P
pil,b Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
P
Teddy rig

Re: Article 23 - Deep Grass [Re: Donald Harper] #13593632 06/13/20 08:36 PM
P
pil,b Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
P
Teddy or Augie Martin

Re: Article 23 - Deep Grass [Re: Donald Harper] #13593833 06/14/20 12:27 AM
TFF Guru
OP Online Happy
TFF Guru
You referring to Teddy Silcox at Amistad?

Websiite Sponsors:

Re: Article 23 - Deep Grass [Re: Donald Harper] #13594194 06/14/20 01:33 PM
Ken A. Online Content
Groovy
Online Content
Groovy
Good stuff Donald. I sure miss the grass on Fork.

Re: Article 23 - Deep Grass [Re: Donald Harper] #13594218 06/14/20 01:58 PM
tmd11111 Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
Thank you again for another great article

Re: Article 23 - Deep Grass [Re: Donald Harper] #13594351 06/14/20 03:42 PM
P
pil,b Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
P
Yes, Augie came up with a way to paint the weights, her husband Jim said she kicked his tail more than once around sparse grass and small stick ups. Some people called it the Carp rig, worked well with Senkos.

Re: Article 23 - Deep Grass [Re: Donald Harper] #13594563 06/14/20 07:44 PM
TFF Guru
OP Online Happy
TFF Guru
Teddy and I fished many tournaments together. I introduced him to the heavy drop shot. In one Friday evening tournament from 6 to 9; we had 32 over 5 lbs.

Websiite Sponsors:

Re: Article 23 - Deep Grass [Re: Donald Harper] #13594674 06/14/20 09:36 PM
banker-always fishing Online Content
Pumpkin Head
Online Content
Pumpkin Head
Awesome post. thumb

[Linked Image][Linked Image]

IGFA World Record Rio Grande Cichlid. Lake Dunlap.

John 3:16

Sinner's Prayer. God forgive me a sinner. I accept Jesus Christ as my Savior !
Re: Article 23 - Deep Grass [Re: Donald Harper] #13595281 06/15/20 02:28 PM
Bradsr82 Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
Thanks Don!

Re: Article 23 - Deep Grass [Re: Donald Harper] #13595710 06/15/20 07:39 PM
C
ChampionDon (SkeeterDon) Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
C
another great article, was waiting for this one

2011 BassChamps East Region Champions-Lake Sam Rayburn Oct 1-2
Central Texas Realtor, Helping People Buy/Sell Their Home, Give Me A Call.
2020 Bullet 21XRS 2020 Mercury 250 ProXS
www.powertackle.com
www.swaggertackle.com
www.hogfarmberbaits.com
www.honestac.com
www.whortonins.com
Donnie C. O'Neal - 512-431-5977

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide