Print Thread
Ray hubbard/Lavon River #13580150 06/02/20 09:46 PM
C
clinton_c Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
C
Will be getting a kayak next month. What is the easiest way to access/launce to the river between Lavon and Ray hubbard by kayak?

Re: Ray hubbard/Lavon River [Re: clinton_c] #13582117 06/04/20 06:11 AM
S
shimanodude Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
S
Your best bet most likely would be to head to the Lavon dam parking lot and put in there, that will put you right in the East Fork Trinity and you can just paddle south from there to get more secluded. I’m not aware of any other access points to the east fork river.

The only other option would be to find a boat launch on the northern top of Ray Hubbard and paddle upstream, but the distance from the boat launch to the river looks like it would probably be a pretty long paddle to get there.

Re: Ray hubbard/Lavon River [Re: clinton_c] #13587134 06/08/20 02:06 PM
S
Schpanky Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
S
I have launched under the 78 bridge in a pond prowler but that was years ago. don't know if that is still accessible since they've redone the highway. there is a small overflow dam at the 78 bridge under the what was the old railroad tracks. if you put in at the dam, I would think you can only go downstream that far. If you are able to get in at 78, there's some really good fishing downstream for a few miles.

Re: Ray hubbard/Lavon River [Re: Schpanky] #13587253 06/08/20 03:48 PM
F
Fishbonz Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
F
Originally Posted by Schpanky
I have launched under the 78 bridge in a pond prowler but that was years ago. don't know if that is still accessible since they've redone the highway. there is a small overflow dam at the 78 bridge under the what was the old railroad tracks. if you put in at the dam, I would think you can only go downstream that far. If you are able to get in at 78, there's some really good fishing downstream for a few miles.

You are correct about that overflow dam under those RRtracks. I wouldn`t advise anyone to try that in a Yak or anything else!However you should be able to access the river below HWY78 along the tire trail along the east bank side of the river

HE aka Fishbonz
Re: Ray hubbard/Lavon River [Re: Fishbonz] #13587954 06/09/20 01:16 AM
S
shimanodude Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
S
Huh, I had no idea that dam was there. I figured it was a straight shot from that parking lot to where it flows into Ray Hubbard.

I really wish that they would put in more public access points on the East Fork. Most of the East Fork between Lavon and Ray Hubbard and from Ray Hubbard down to the confluence off the trinity river is undeveloped with woodlands running along it almost the whole way. I think that area is ripe for paddling with the beautiful wooded scenery the whole way.

Only good place I see where you can actually access the East Fork is along Highway 80 in Forney. I see people parked down in the ditch fishing there all the time. It seems very dangerous though because it looks like a deep mud hole where you could easily get stuck and when you want to leave you have to pull out onto 80 west and hope you don’t get hit by a car doing 70+.

I have no interest in paddling the trinity because it looks disgusting, so that option is out of the question. The Elm Fork has public parks and access points, why can’t the East Fork?

Re: Ray hubbard/Lavon River [Re: shimanodude] #13588131 06/09/20 04:42 AM
F
Fishbonz Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
F
Originally Posted by J. R.
Huh, I had no idea that dam was there. I figured it was a straight shot from that parking lot to where it flows into Ray Hubbard.

I really wish that they would put in more public access points on the East Fork. Most of the East Fork between Lavon and Ray Hubbard and from Ray Hubbard down to the confluence off the trinity river is undeveloped with woodlands running along it almost the whole way. I think that area is ripe for paddling with the beautiful wooded scenery the whole way.

Only good place I see where you can actually access the East Fork is along Highway 80 in Forney. I see people parked down in the ditch fishing there all the time. It seems very dangerous though because it looks like a deep mud hole where you could easily get stuck and when you want to leave you have to pull out onto 80 west and hope you don’t get hit by a car doing 70+.

I have no interest in paddling the trinity because it looks disgusting, so that option is out of the question. The Elm Fork has public parks and access points, why can’t the East Fork?

It`s only disgusting around the Dallas area. Once it flows further south past the hwy 7 lock & Dam it`s beautiful water full of mega Sandies, Hybrids, Gar,& Flatheads

HE aka Fishbonz
Re: Ray hubbard/Lavon River [Re: clinton_c] #13589700 06/10/20 01:57 PM
Carver Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
About 6 years ago, TPW and city of Dallas announced a exclusive kayak launch spot including a pier that would be great for this. It was to be on the east side of hubbard about 1 mile north of hwy 66. It would have ben greta for this. https://goo.gl/maps/d1Lb2ee6suPziXCS7

It was designed with a regular boat ramp. but was too shallow for power boats. I was super excited about it.

When I had a torquedo on my yak I put in at 66 and peddled up there with a sustained se wind on most days it was a 40 minute trip to the mouth. the return trip into the wind was aided by power. I only did the run a few times because I was passing a lot of great fishing to get there.

Phill Pittman

www.dallascnc.com new website for product development

www.mariner-kayaks.com Best kayak source in Texas
Re: Ray hubbard/Lavon River [Re: Carver] #13590793 06/11/20 04:14 AM
S
shimanodude Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
S
What ever happened with that plan? Do you know why that fell through? That would have been perfect.

For as many lakes, rivers, and ponds as there are in DFW, there sure aren’t very many good places to launch a kayak at. I have no interest in paddling there open waters of the lakes around here where all the idiots are racing around in their boats. We need to start a petition or something to get them to put in more access points on undeveloped stretches of river and coves of lakes.

I just want somewhere that’s at least semi beautiful and peaceful without too much boat traffic to paddle. Looks like I have to drive at least a couple of hours from my location to find anything remotely like that.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide