Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Uh oh moments with your dog... #13588990 06/09/20 09:31 PM
i-Fish Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
The "taking your furry friend fishing" thread made me remember the time I took my black lab pup fishing for maybe the 2nd or 3rd time. Headed back to the ramp to go home, beached the boat and for the split second I lost track of her she hopped up on the deck and steps right on a treble hook. Immediate panic ensues. One hook is in the boat carpet and another hook is in her paw as she can't help but try and pull away and she's yelping her poor lungs out. I scramble up there and hold her down, thank the good Lord there is a bank fisherman 10 yards away. He comes over and I tell him what we gotta do and he's the one that's gotta yank on the braid to get the hook out of her paw. His face gets pretty flushed when I tell him that. Anyway, I snip the treble off of my square bill, get my grab bag for such an occasion, hold the hook shank down and tell our savior bank angler to let it rip! He closes his eyes, yanks the hook out and off the pup goes to take a potty like nothing ever happened. She was scared but luckily no injury. Don't know how I would have managed that situation without a helper. Hate to even think about that scenario. I was sure glad he was standing right there when it happened.

If you can't find em wind em.
Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: Uh oh moments with your dog... [Re: i-Fish] #13589011 06/09/20 09:40 PM
D
dk2429 Online Content
Extreme Angler
Online Content
Extreme Angler
D
I ruined my yellow lab's love for the water.

Just a pup, maybe 6 months old or so.. Took him out on the boat on Lake Livingston in the winter. Long story short, he was running all over the boat having fun then fell overboard. This was his first introduction to water, so now he won't get in it over half way up his legs. Most the time not even that

Last edited by dk2429; 06/09/20 09:40 PM.

Majek 22 Extreme/225 Optimax Pro XS hauled by a 2500HD Duramax

Re: Uh oh moments with your dog... [Re: i-Fish] #13589020 06/09/20 09:44 PM
R
Resh Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
R
Took my pup bank fishing for sandies when she was about 6 months old. Caught one and was putting it on the stringer and she bit the zoom tiny fluke that I had propped up over our cooler. Buried the jig head hook right in the side of her bottom lip. It went all the way in, past the barb, where I could slide the hook shank back and forth in her lip. Grabbed the needle nose, held onto her snout and yanked. Came straight out, she sneezed a couple times and pawed her head so I know she felt it, but with blood running down her chin she just started hopping around the bank again like nothing happened... tough pup.. and pretty stupid. She hasn't bit one since though.

There are no fish in sonic pond EDIT: Except 1 20lb catfish
Re: Uh oh moments with your dog... [Re: dk2429] #13589088 06/09/20 10:38 PM
i-Fish Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
Originally Posted by dk2429

Just a pup, maybe 6 months old or so.. Took him out on the boat on Lake Livingston in the winter. Long story short, he was running all over the boat having fun then fell overboard. This was his first introduction to water, so now he won't get in it over half way up his legs. Most the time not even that

roflmao

Mine did the same thing on her very first trip (4 months old MAYBE) on a warm day in January. Launched the boat and it took her all but 3 minutes to jump into the lake. 50 degrees. She wasn't happy. She's now a year and a half and she FINALLY ran right into the water on her own on Texoma a few weeks back and had a blast. Now she's a proper lab!!!

If you can't find em wind em.
Re: Uh oh moments with your dog... [Re: i-Fish] #13589806 06/10/20 03:42 PM
E
ETXfisher91 Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
E
Bet this one has never happened to one of y'all lol

The wife and I were catfishing on Murvaul a few years back with both of our labs... Well one decided to get a taste of the catfish charlie on the treble hook, yuppp she ate the treble hook. I tried to get it out, but it was to deep... I had to cut the line. We called the vet and she said just give her an entire loaf up bread that maybe it will bond with the hook and cover the barbs. Luckily, it worked... We took her in for x-rays about 5 days later and no hook was found. She pooped it out.

Re: Uh oh moments with your dog... [Re: i-Fish] #13589977 06/10/20 06:17 PM
B
BJH ( JUST JIGGING) Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
B
Bought my wife a little Pomeranian Black and tan color. I took her fishing with me all the time .She loved to ride in the boat and every time i set the hook on a crappie she would start barking and growling looking over the side of boat. iI was fishing a jig and cork and cork went under and i set the hook and i knew it wasn't a crappie . I had to get on the trolling motor to keep from breaking my line. Finally got fish up beside the boat , big bass it never jumped got net and dipped fish, dog jumped at the fish and went in the net. I am trying to get both in the boat and she was grabbing the fish and shaking the fish. She weighed 4 1/2 lbs. the bass weighed 10 lbs 4 oz. That was a rodeo.

I would agree with you , but then we would both be WRONG !!!!!
Re: Uh oh moments with your dog... [Re: ETXfisher91] #13590091 06/10/20 07:25 PM
C
CrappieXpress Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
C
Originally Posted by ETXfisher91

The wife and I were catfishing on Murvaul a few years back with both of our labs... Well one decided to get a taste of the catfish charlie on the treble hook, yuppp she ate the treble hook. I tried to get it out, but it was to deep... I had to cut the line. We called the vet and she said just give her an entire loaf up bread that maybe it will bond with the hook and cover the barbs. Luckily, it worked... We took her in for x-rays about 5 days later and no hook was found. She pooped it out.

You might think that would be uncommonly but I Had the exact same experience only with catfish Charlie. Went to the vet and the hook was clearly visible in her stomach on the x ray. Vet told us to leave it in there and it would dissolve on its own. Left there 100% in doubt and went back 2 days later and the hook was nowhere in sight from mouth to tail. Couldn’t believe it.

Re: Uh oh moments with your dog... [Re: i-Fish] #13590106 06/10/20 07:37 PM
west tex angler Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Several years ago, my son and I were headed to Possum Kingdom early in the morning with our buddie,
my yellow lab in the back of the truck. She liked to stand and lean over the tail gate and say Hi to everyone.
At the square in Weatheford at the light, I took off and went about two miles before another truck caught me and said, " Hey fellow, your dog fell out at the square in Weatherford.
We went back and got her, she was laying on the grass by the court house waiting for us to come and get her. She still had her chew toy in her mouth, but she never stood up and leaned on the tail gate anymore.

PB 9lbs 13oz
Re: Uh oh moments with your dog... [Re: i-Fish] #13590122 06/10/20 07:53 PM
R
Ranger1 Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
R
I took Cooterbrown ( Black and Tan Bloodhound) out fishing with me one day for the very first time and thought I would let him swim for awhile so off the deck of the boat he goes and never even slightly tried to swim nothing and he sinks like a 40 ton john deere tractor and completely disappears I freaked out and had to shed clothes in a hurry and dive in after him. I found him pulled his azz back up and he never got back in the boat again. Moral of the story is Bloodhounds not NOT know how to swim.

Last edited by Ranger1; 06/10/20 07:55 PM.
Re: Uh oh moments with your dog... [Re: CrappieXpress] #13590127 06/10/20 07:57 PM
E
ETXfisher91 Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
E
Originally Posted by CrappieXpress
Originally Posted by ETXfisher91

You might think that would be uncommonly but I Had the exact same experience only with catfish Charlie. Went to the vet and the hook was clearly visible in her stomach on the x ray. Vet told us to leave it in there and it would dissolve on its own. Left there 100% in doubt and went back 2 days later and the hook was nowhere in sight from mouth to tail. Couldn’t believe it.

It was crazy!! lol I guess maybe it dissolved in her stomach then, I figured it came out with the bread.

Re: Uh oh moments with your dog... [Re: Ranger1] #13590715 06/11/20 02:53 AM
F
Fish2Chill 1 Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
F
Originally Posted by Ranger1
I took Cooterbrown ( Black and Tan Bloodhound) out fishing with me one day for the very first time and thought I would let him swim for awhile so off the deck of the boat he goes and never even slightly tried to swim nothing and he sinks like a 40 ton john deere tractor and completely disappears I freaked out and had to shed clothes in a hurry and dive in after him. I found him pulled his azz back up and he never got back in the boat again. Moral of the story is Bloodhounds not NOT know how to swim.

Well, that blows my theory that all dogs have a natural instinct to swim, but humans not so much.

Re: Uh oh moments with your dog... [Re: Ranger1] #13590750 06/11/20 03:22 AM
B
BThomas Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
B
Originally Posted by Ranger1

Sorry, I have to laugh at this... Majority of bulldogs cannot swim either. Their head is to heavy.

Re: Uh oh moments with your dog... [Re: dk2429] #13590754 06/11/20 03:26 AM
S
Smurfs Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity
S

This^ Golden retriever, same age, different lake. Will not get in deeper than his legs. roflmao

Re: Uh oh moments with your dog... [Re: i-Fish] #13590812 06/11/20 06:01 AM
D
dk2429 Online Content
Extreme Angler
Online Content
Extreme Angler
D
Originally Posted by i-Fish

roflmao

Mine did the same thing on her very first trip (4 months old MAYBE) on a warm day in January. Launched the boat and it took her all but 3 minutes to jump into the lake. 50 degrees. She wasn't happy. She's now a year and a half and she FINALLY ran right into the water on her own on Texoma a few weeks back and had a blast. Now she's a proper lab!!!

I need you to come make mine get in the water then.. He's about 3 years old now and still doesn't like it. No matter what you throw, or anything.

I was gonna make him a duck dog but that ended quick...... I love the pup to death, but really...? Water is your friend sir!

Re: Uh oh moments with your dog... [Re: Smurfs] #13590813 06/11/20 06:05 AM
D
dk2429 Online Content
Extreme Angler
Online Content
Extreme Angler
D
Originally Posted by Smurfs

This^ Golden retriever, same age, different lake. Will not get in deeper than his legs. roflmao

It really sucks to be honest! My past 4 dogs have been labs and you couldn't keep any of them out of the water if you tried. Like I said in above post, was going to eventually make this one a duck dog but that failed early.. I've worked with him anyway on retreveing and gun shyness, and he's great considering the limited training I've given him! But if he ain't gonna bail in the water then there's no need.

Oh well, I'll have to be the dog again I guess

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide