Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Professional athletes [Re: TexDawg] #13585929 06/07/20 01:03 PM
W
Wylie Jeff Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
W
Originally Posted by TexDawg
I kinda miss some of it, but I’ve moved on for now. I will be wizzed without college football

Yes to this. I’m sure hoping NCAA can get the FB season rolling sooner than later.

Last edited by Wylie Jeff; 06/07/20 01:03 PM.

Keep looking forward. That’s why windshields are larger than rear view mirrors.
Re: Professional athletes [Re: silvers] #13585991 06/07/20 02:11 PM
Mark Perry Online Content
Super Freak
Online Content
Super Freak
There is some irony in wasting time using social media and the internet to point out thst watching professional sports is wasting time. roflmao

Re: Professional athletes [Re: silvers] #13586032 06/07/20 02:36 PM
RedRanger Online Content
burro desagradable
Online Content
burro desagradable
I don't watch Professional Sports, I used to be a loyal Cowboy Fan during the Dynasty Era of the early 90's. I find baseball and basketball boring and as well as hockey. Soccer suxs to watch, rather fun to play.

I do find it insane they make the salary they make, when a doctor can save your life and then probably average around 200 to 300k per year.

If they don't play sports on Sunday it's no biggie to me. I do hope the Cowboys one day can return to being a solid team, but Jerry Jones will need to depart before that will happen

Re: Professional athletes [Re: WAWI] #13586050 06/07/20 03:00 PM
D
Davedave Offline
Bigfoot Seeker
Bigfoot Seeker
D
Originally Posted by WAWI
Nobody makes anyone watch it, go to it, support it, etc. Its there because the market wants it. As a kid growing up I spent alot of time on sundays in the den with dad watching football. I own a sports bar type establishment that is family friendly. I cant tell you how many families roll in push a couple tables together all wearing jerseys of their favorite teams, from dad down to the 4 year old. Are you suggesting that they should sit at home and discuss politics, religion, the tooth fairy? There are families that have season tickets and have been going together for decades. Your same question could be changed to eating out at restaurants, video games, six flags, doing away with dad playing golf, fishing, etc etc. All these activities can be family inclusive or be distractions from family. That's up to the family. As to a reference to digging ditches that's a stretch and honestly the statement reeks of a bit of jealousy and a tad little bit of racist stereotyping. I can tell you the I have several customers that played college ball at a high level of varying races including a linebacker from texas who has a good job, owns another business and is far from a ditch digger. Another works in the oil patch in a high capacity, another is in sales and very successful. Let's not be quick to throw all professional athletes into the same bin as they each have their opinions of politics, society etc and are entitled to them just as we are entitled to listen and tune in or not. If getting rid of pro sports would improve your family life the problem isn't pro sports, the problem is you.

I agree with you. But, I believe that we will have have more social/political/racial messages and activism than ever before this year. I suspect your take will be less popular this year than ever. I like it to be about the sports. It will be less about the sports this year, in my opinion. That’s a shame.

Re: Professional athletes [Re: Duck_Hunter] #13586304 06/07/20 07:32 PM
S
SGT BALLARD Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
S
Originally Posted by Duck_Hunter
Originally Posted by silvers
Just a curios thought, if we did away with them and they had to use their degree where would they be? Where would you be as a family? Sunday’s free? There is a lot of income lost I understand that. What could we gain as a society if we dedicated more time to family time and the athletes actually used their skills for ditch digging. Just saying.

Did you mean to say that professional athletes would he ditch diggers if not for pro sports? Because that’s an interesting statement.

There would be a lot of lost income for the athletes, the owners, the stadium workers, the trainers, coaches, TV people, including production staff, sports bars, uber, taxis, public transportation, and on and on.

How would my life change? It would be the same as it has been the last three months. I’d fill it in with something else.

But I’m still curious why you think professional athletes would be ditch diggers if not for pro sports. Just because they had the chance to play pro sports and make millions doesn’t mean they couldn’t find something else besides manual labor and there is nothing wrong with manual labor. The majority of college athletes aren’t professional athletes and do something else. Athletics paves the way for kids who otherwise might not have a great education to get a college degree.

Very well stated !

Re: Professional athletes [Re: WAWI] #13586310 06/07/20 07:40 PM
S
SGT BALLARD Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
S
Originally Posted by WAWI
Nobody makes anyone watch it, go to it, support it, etc. Its there because the market wants it. As a kid growing up I spent alot of time on sundays in the den with dad watching football. I own a sports bar type establishment that is family friendly. I cant tell you how many families roll in push a couple tables together all wearing jerseys of their favorite teams, from dad down to the 4 year old. Are you suggesting that they should sit at home and discuss politics, religion, the tooth fairy? There are families that have season tickets and have been going together for decades. Your same question could be changed to eating out at restaurants, video games, six flags, doing away with dad playing golf, fishing, etc etc. All these activities can be family inclusive or be distractions from family. That's up to the family. As to a reference to digging ditches that's a stretch and honestly the statement reeks of a bit of jealousy and a tad little bit of racist stereotyping. I can tell you the I have several customers that played college ball at a high level of varying races including a linebacker from texas who has a good job, owns another business and is far from a ditch digger. Another works in the oil patch in a high capacity, another is in sales and very successful. Let's not be quick to throw all professional athletes into the same bin as they each have their opinions of politics, society etc and are entitled to them just as we are entitled to listen and tune in or not. If getting rid of pro sports would improve your family life the problem isn't pro sports, the problem is you.

Couldn't have said it any better myself!

Re: Professional athletes [Re: Mark Perry] #13586360 06/07/20 08:18 PM
F
fish4bass Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
F
Originally Posted by Mark Perry
There is some irony in wasting time using social media and the internet to point out thst watching professional spirts is wasting time. roflmao

roflmao

And I know who "Jeff" is.
Re: Professional athletes [Re: Westside.] #13586443 06/07/20 09:25 PM
B
Bentman63 Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
B
Originally Posted by Westside.
Originally Posted by Bentman63
They are not essential

You could say that about alot of entertainment, musicians, actors, etc...

None of them are essential either

[Linked Image]
Re: Professional athletes [Re: silvers] #13586449 06/07/20 09:28 PM
R
rangerb Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
R
Football started after the civil war, to replace the human desire for civil war. We need sports again...JMO

Re: Professional athletes [Re: silvers] #13586522 06/07/20 10:28 PM
F
Fishspanker Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
F
I really haven’t missed sports much. Miss normal life more.

Positives are pretty much limited to less traffic.

The Sheep who only fears the Wolf is eaten by the Shepherd.
Re: Professional athletes [Re: Fishspanker] #13586638 06/08/20 12:11 AM
L
LoneStarSon Online Content
Private Dancer
Online Content
Private Dancer
L
Originally Posted by Fishspanker
I really haven’t missed sports much. Miss normal life more.

Positives are pretty much limited to less traffic.

The limited traffic days are up...at least here in North Texas. Traffic is definitely back to normal, except now people have been driving 85 to 90 mph on the highways when they were empty and they are still trying to do that.

Re: Professional athletes [Re: RedRanger] #13586640 06/08/20 12:13 AM
S
Spiderman Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
S
Originally Posted by RedRanger
I don't watch Professional Sports, I used to be a loyal Cowboy Fan during the Dynasty Era of the early 90's. I find baseball and basketball boring and as well as hockey. Soccer suxs to watch, rather fun to play.

I do find it insane they make the salary they make, when a doctor can save your life and then probably average around 200 to 300k per year.

If they don't play sports on Sunday it's no biggie to me. I do hope the Cowboys one day can return to being a solid team, but Jerry Jones will need to depart before that will happen

Pro football is the only one that interests me at all. I wish I didn't know how much they made and when they are complaining about salary or holding out for more money. Glad they are in a position to demand it and get it, seems everyone else is expendable.

The Truth is six of the seven Dwarfs are not Happy!
Re: Professional athletes [Re: Mark Perry] #13586651 06/08/20 12:28 AM
T
Trickster Online Content
Super Freak
Online Content
Super Freak
T
Originally Posted by Mark Perry
There is some irony in wasting time using social media and the internet to point out thst watching professional sports is wasting time. roflmao

thumb

Re: Professional athletes [Re: silvers] #13587187 06/08/20 02:46 PM
T
Trickster Online Content
Super Freak
Online Content
Super Freak
T
One of the more interesting Pro Athletes.

Laurent Duvernay - KC Chiefs Offensive lineman
https://www.si.com/nfl/2020/04/27/c...cal-doctor-works-on-covid-19-front-lines

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide