Page 1 of 2 1 2
Fayette County Bust.....Again #13577236 05/31/20 03:03 PM
G
gut hooked Offline OP
Pro Angler
OP Offline
Pro Angler
G
Fayette has been off for more than a year.....this time of year my buddies and I routinely catch 30-40 fish a day....the last year 3-5 fish has been the norm.....yesterday was more of the same.....dumped at oak thicket at 5:45, fishing by 6.....there were 8 boats in the parking lot at 5:30.....

Anyway, drifted my favorite flat.....no takes on the A rig, 1 bite on a trap....on 3 trips up and back.....later picked up 1 fish on a square bill and one on a ned rig.....the hard east wind made it hard to fish the dam....off the water by 11:30....just in time to see an A hole tie up his rig to a cleat across the dock and block the dock working a tangle out of his cast net for TEN minutes and then have his female partner load 4 coolers in to the back of a truck......mannthis lake has changed

Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: Fayette County Bust.....Again [Re: gut hooked] #13577291 05/31/20 04:06 PM
JBranham Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
It's gotten completely out of control.

The netting, at first, I thought wouldn't be that big of an issue because of the over abundance of tilapia but it seems the word is out and now you have an all out assault on the lake. Boats of all sizes, completely overloaded with people (AND YES THESE ARE MAINLY PEOPLE OF HISPANIC DESCENT), are making their way to all parts of the shallows and unloading everyone to walk around throwing their nets.

It's become dangerous not only for the overloaded vessels with no one wearing life vest but for those congregating around the boat ramps and parks. Half the time you have to ask people to get out of the way so you can load your boat weather it's a guy standing on the ramp netting or their kids swimming around the dock and ramp. The amount of overloaded boat I've seen that can barely make it through the water without taking on water is crazy! I mean overloaded with KIDS in the boat AND NOT ONE LIVE VEST!!!!

There have been quite a few deaths recently because of this.

I had a buddy of mine, who's new to town, wanted to go out to Fayette and check it out. I gave him some tips on what to do, where to try and the next morning I texted him to see how he was doing. His text came back exactly like this "We've caught a few up shallow and one DEAD BODY". Imagine fishing down the bank and rolling your spinner bait over a dead body! My buddy spent the next few hours waiting for the police to show up and come to find out this was an Hispanic guy that was one of 2 or 3 that went missing from an overturned vessel from the previous night, and again not one life vest. Multiple people died because the boat couldn't take the weight, it sunk, and not one damn life vest.

It's freaking crazy right now and with this Covid shut-down these people have basically been running a commercial fishing operation from the lake and no telling how many bass have been taken from the lake as well. This has been going on for some time now and because the water is warm it can be done early in the year, like when the bass want to move up shallow to spawn. They are walking right through the beds while netting.

It's been hard to catch fish shallow and I imagine it's only going to get worse. Really the only fish I've caught lately with success has been out deep where people aren't walking on them and netting them.

Sorry for the rant but it's kind of been a sore subject lately. The local guide Rick Denton is doing everything he can to get the wardens and police to regularly patrol the lake and parks. Calling and complaining is about all you can do.

These people are coming in by the truck loads and it's too much for the lake to take. Unless something is done the lake may never be the same.

Last edited by JBranham; 05/31/20 04:23 PM.
Re: Fayette County Bust.....Again [Re: JBranham] #13577300 05/31/20 04:22 PM
G
gut hooked Offline OP
Pro Angler
OP Offline
Pro Angler
G
Originally Posted by JBranham
It's gotten completely out of control.

The netting, at first, I thought wouldn't be that big of an issue because of the over abundance of tilapia but it seems the word is out and now you have an all out assault on the lake. Boats of all sizes, completely overloaded with people (AND YES THESE ARE MAINLY PEOPLE OF HISPANIC DESCENT), are making their way to all parts of the shallows and unloading everyone to walk around throwing their nets.

It's become dangerous not only for the overloaded vessels with no one wearing life vest but for those congregating around the boat ramps and parks. Half the time you have to ask people to get out of the way so you can load your boat weather it's a guy standing on the ramp netting or their kids swimming around the dock and ramp. The amount of overloaded boat I've seen that can barely make it through the water without taking on water is crazy! I mean overloaded with KIDS in the boat AND NOT ONE LIVE VEST!!!!

There have been quite a few deaths recently because of this.

I had a buddy of mine, who's new to town, wanted to go out to Fayette and check it out. I gave him some tips on what to do, where to try and the next morning I texted him to see how he was doing. His text came back exactly like this "We've caught a few up shallow and one DEAD BODY". Imagine fishing down the bank and rolling your spinner bait over a dead body! My buddy spent the next few hours waiting for the police to show up and come to find out this was an Hispanic guy that was one of 2 or 3 that went missing from an overturned vessel from the previous night, and again not one life vest. Multiple people died because the boat couldn't take the weight, it sunk, and not one damn life vest.

It's freaking crazy right now and with this Covid shut-down these people have basically been running a commercial fishing operation from the lake and no telling how many bass have been taken from the lake as well. This has been going on for some time now and because the water is warm it can be done early in the year, like when the bass want to move up shallow to spawn. They are walking right through the beds while netting.

It's been hard to catch fish shallow and I imagine it's only going to get worse. Really the only fish I've caught lately with success has been out deep where people aren't walking on them and netting them.

Sorry for the rant but it's kind of been a sore subject lately. The local guide Rick Denton is doing everything he can to get the wardens and police to regularly patrol the lake and parks. Calling and complaining is about all you can do.

Yeah man it's a shame......It has been my favorite lake for more than 25 years.....no matter where you went and had a bad tournament, you could count on Fayette to help get your confidence back.... now it's as bad as conroe.....its. a shame, really

Re: Fayette County Bust.....Again [Re: gut hooked] #13577322 05/31/20 04:41 PM
L
Lone_Wolf Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
L
What is with the netting out there, has a large Hispanic population recently moved in?

Re: Fayette County Bust.....Again [Re: gut hooked] #13577350 05/31/20 05:13 PM
JBranham Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
I don't know about moved in but the word has definitely spread amongst them and like I said, they are showing up by the truck loads to net the tilapia and sale.

Rarely do I see a warden or law enforcement out there watching over the lake. I don't think the netting its self is illegal and they are taking full advantage of it. I've also witnessed them gutting the fish as they pull them out of there nets and throwing the remains right back where they caught them. I mean huge coolers full of tilapia and I'm sure sprinkled with bass and what ever else they catch.

Some days you can't fish down the shorelines because of the netters.

Last edited by JBranham; 05/31/20 05:15 PM.
Re: Fayette County Bust.....Again [Re: gut hooked] #13577382 05/31/20 05:48 PM
JBranham Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
Any Game Wardens on here, please feel free to chime in.

This was just posted by the local guide, Rick Denton.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/114938128598481/permalink/3017811654977766/

[Linked Image]

Last edited by JBranham; 05/31/20 05:50 PM.
Re: Fayette County Bust.....Again [Re: gut hooked] #13577384 05/31/20 05:53 PM
B
BillS2006 Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
B
Did you call the game warden?

Game Warden 24 hr. Dispatch 512-389-4848

Transgenders: God made them, the devil changed their minds.
Re: Fayette County Bust.....Again [Re: JBranham] #13577389 05/31/20 06:00 PM
B
BillS2006 Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
B
Originally Posted by JBranham
I don't know about moved in but the word has definitely spread amongst them and like I said, they are showing up by the truck loads to net the tilapia and sale.

Rarely do I see a warden or law enforcement out there watching over the lake. I don't think the netting its self is illegal and they are taking full advantage of it. I've also witnessed them gutting the fish as they pull them out of there nets and throwing the remains right back where they caught them. I mean huge coolers full of tilapia and I'm sure sprinkled with bass and what ever else they catch.

Some days you can't fish down the shorelines because of the netters.

Possess tilapia, grass carp or any other fish listed as harmful or potentially harmful, without immediately removing the head or intestines, except on waters where a valid Triploid Grass Carp Permit is in effect. In those waters, it is illegal to possess grass carp. Any grass carp caught must be immediately returned to the water unharmed. Please see our list of waters with Triploid Grass Carp Permits.

Transgenders: God made them, the devil changed their minds.
Re: Fayette County Bust.....Again [Re: gut hooked] #13577671 05/31/20 11:12 PM
R
Rayzor Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
R
I don't even bother with FCL anymore.

Be safe,
Rayzor
[Linked Image]
2001 Triton Tx-21/225 Mercury EFI
Re: Fayette County Bust.....Again [Re: gut hooked] #13577681 05/31/20 11:27 PM
M
Moonshadow Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
M
The Game Warden was on the lake yesterday checking everyone.

Re: Fayette County Bust.....Again [Re: gut hooked] #13577692 05/31/20 11:45 PM
T
TomRom Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
T
What you can do is contact the LCRA (nicely I might suggest) and express your concerns. You might suggest along with the other issues, that the cast netters wading along the shorelines are causing a safety issue for themselves and the boaters. I have found when you bring up safety concerns, it gets a company's management attention. Below is the email address of the the LCRA's public relations person. I have already forwarded this page to her via her email address. Try it. What do we have to loose. Game Wardens checking them for boating compliance etc is fine and definitely a step in the right direction. But getting the commercial harvesting of the tilapia via cast netting stopped is what we really need LCRA to do.

LCRA contact : clara.tuma@lcra.org

Last edited by TomRom; 05/31/20 11:46 PM.
Re: Fayette County Bust.....Again [Re: gut hooked] #13577777 06/01/20 12:51 AM
doctorxring Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler

I have to wait until a certain time of year to trim my Oak Trees. This is because of Oak Decline, a readily spread
disease caused by a beetle that will attack newly cut areas of the tree certain times of year.

This SAME logic applies to this tilapia netting situation. The lake could certainly use some tilapia thinning.
Just mandate that it not be done DURING THE BASS SPAWN. This friggin' tilapia spawn all summer long.

You shall know the truth and the truth shall set you free
Re: Fayette County Bust.....Again [Re: gut hooked] #13577852 06/01/20 01:54 AM
T
TomRom Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
T
The data from the studies done by the TPWD fisheries biologist does not show any impact the netting is having on the spawn. So they told me that they would not support that argument. Nor does their studies show that the tilapia are having an impact on bass numbers in the lake. They said they can only support what their information shows. They told me its the LCRA that has got to put a stop to the cast netters.

Last edited by TomRom; 06/01/20 01:55 AM.
Re: Fayette County Bust.....Again [Re: TomRom] #13577870 06/01/20 02:08 AM
S
SC-001 Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
S
Originally Posted by TomRom
The data from the studies done by the TPWD fisheries biologist does not show any impact the netting is having on the spawn. So they told me that they would not support that argument. Nor does their studies show that the tilapia are having an impact on bass numbers in the lake. They said they can only support what their information shows. They told me its the LCRA that has got to put a stop to the cast netters.

Horse sh*t, they are catching other species including bass, I've seen it at Fairfield in the past

Re: Fayette County Bust.....Again [Re: gut hooked] #13577883 06/01/20 02:19 AM
G
Grant2 Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
G
Call I.C.E bet some head home in a hurry!

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide