Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Article 19 - Funnel Points #13577230 05/31/20 02:58 PM
Donald Harper Offline OP
TFF Guru
OP Offline
TFF Guru
Article 19 – Funnel Points

You will find as many definitions of Funnel Points as you have baits to fish with. This is warranted because there are so many different kinds from deep water funnels to shallow water funnels. There are a good number of researchers that have wrote articles on the subject. Many of these have totally opposite theories on what makes two funnels setting close together better than the rest. Reading a few of these will help you to understand how fish relate to them and they have a few common characteristics that draw larger fish to them. These range from where two creeks come together in the middle of a cove to a backhoe cut in a pond levee. Funnel Points range from the exact location where the Big Bass live to funnels that they use to feed parallel along the slopes. They very from ledge formations, slow dropping points, deep gouges at the edge of spawning flats, protrusions on the side of points and even silted in drainage ditches. Most are refereed to in pairs with one sitting on each side of as narrow of an opening as possible. One of the best ones that I have ever found was a large protrusion off the side of a creek channel point. The irregular features were on both sides of the protrusion and the Bass funneled the bait fish down each side toward the top of the point toward a kill zone.

The common factors of which ones to seek out in your lake stems around the seasons with the migration routes of the Bass and the forage they are following. The best ones center around the irregular contour lines leading to the funnel points from the channel. The funnels themselves must be as irregular as possible. Of course if there is cover involved when the fish arrive for ambush it even gets better. Those with the right water depth can provide the two basic factors of an excellent funnel. When the term Pinch Point is used; it refers to the best irregular feature there and usually sets in 10 to 15 foot of water with heavy cover like wood so the fish will live there. It is my belief that no deeper water is need for a comfort zone. The water temperature at this depth is at least 10 degrees colder than the summer time surface, which is exactly what a big fish is looking for. This hot spot will then have a slope above it for the Bass to push the bait during feeding times; thus pinching the forage to the exact spot to catch them. Short distances are the key for large fish to stay large and conserve energy during Winter months and deep enough to be comfortable during the Summer. All of the others as mentioned above are seasonal and the fish come and go to use them. I do not believe that Bass return to deeper water in the Winter months, because in most coves the warmer water is within that upper water table of 8 to 10 ft.. We are specifically talking about the big fish that live within a cove and are using a special funnel point year round. It would take a drastic drop in water level to make them move to deeper water.

Look for all of them you can; as each will have their place in time. Break the coves down in thirds. The back third is the most seasonal and holds the shallowest water. These are gouges in a spawning flat or maybe a ditch cutting through the flat for a short distance. Your Mid-Range depths come in the middle third of the cove. Here you find a few more drains leading to shore and the possibility of having cover is much greater to support the residence of some larger fish. Some of the old pond levees will be in the middle section. To me the front third of the cove always provides you with the best irregular contours and the best irregular features sitting on that contour with deep water close by. There seems to be a better contour to produce the irregular ledges. The problem with the front third is finding the irregular funnel points with cover to support a pinch point where the larger fish lives. Cover on the funnel and above it will be scarce. The most critical aspect for catching feeding fish is cover. Once they go on the move it is non stop unless there is cover. Big fish tend to follow the same route during feeding. They move from one piece of cover to the next along that route and most of the time this is parallel with the contour line at the depth the bait is holding that day. We are not talking about being able to set in one spot on a funnel and catch fish for an hour. The Bass will move to an ambush spot like a pod of grass, then to a heavy bush and from stump to stump. When she has finished feeding, she will return to the comfort zone to suspend in that 10 to 15 ft range and would prefer that to be in a tree for security.

Bass suspended in their comfort zone can be caught, but you will be hard pressed to get one to chase a fast moving presentation. Throw the slow moving baits and make those as real as possible. Look for that magic tree that could hold more than one suspended fish. The Texas Rigged Brush Hog on a 1/2 oz pegged weight is my number one choice to hold in front of a fish sitting in a tree. The jig is another bait that is excellent in heavy cover or off a ledge. For suspending fish over deep water the suspending deep diving jerk bait will produce. The Mag. Fluke fished weightless is another good choice. Always start with the larger profile then downsize if the bite is not happening to a smaller worm or Crayfish plastic. Once the bait fish move into the funnel area and the push begins to move that bait to the kill zone toward shallower water you can switch to faster moving baits to imitate the Shad. Try the swim bait, chatter bait, crank bait and spinner bait; keeping it simple and searching right along with the fish hitting each isolated piece of cover on the feeding area. The Bass are on the move hunting for pray and so are you. If the wind is blowing and moving the cover back and forth like pods of grass your boat will be less detectable. Slick water is bad news when trying to fish shallow. Bass just feel more secure and the bait is not as likely to be spooked with wind pushing the water into the area.

Narrow Levee Cut
[Linked Image]

Drain and Ditch Funnels
[Linked Image]

River Channel Funnels
[Linked Image]

Each person you work with holds some promise to your future success.
Websiite Sponsors:
www.eletewater.com - Staying Hydrated
www.lakeoviachic.com - Booking Mexico Trips
20 Hot Spot Mapping - GPS Contour Chips - Custom Spinner Baits - Jigs -Spooks
Pure Extracts - Minnow-Night Crawler-Crayfish-Craylic

Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: Article 19 - Funnel Points [Re: Donald Harper] #13577377 05/31/20 05:41 PM
Greg W Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Don when are you going to put all this in a book?

Re: Article 19 - Funnel Points [Re: Donald Harper] #13577416 05/31/20 06:29 PM
Donald Harper Offline OP
TFF Guru
OP Offline
TFF Guru
I guess if someone was willing to do all the work that it takes to get published; I would split the profits. helpsign bolt

Each person you work with holds some promise to your future success.
Websiite Sponsors:
www.eletewater.com - Staying Hydrated
www.lakeoviachic.com - Booking Mexico Trips
20 Hot Spot Mapping - GPS Contour Chips - Custom Spinner Baits - Jigs -Spooks
Pure Extracts - Minnow-Night Crawler-Crayfish-Craylic

Re: Article 19 - Funnel Points [Re: Donald Harper] #13577721 06/01/20 12:16 AM
A
Alan Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
A
Great information again. Thanks

2000 518dvx
200 efi Mercury
Re: Article 19 - Funnel Points [Re: Donald Harper] #13577758 06/01/20 12:45 AM
A
avid_basser Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
A
Originally Posted by Donald Harper
I guess if someone was willing to do all the work that it takes to get published; I would split the profits. helpsign bolt

Don, if you're serious about this lets talk. I would be willing to sit down with you and go through some ideas. I'm not an accomplished writer by any means, but we could easily start to get this all on one site and an create a mini-novel start with.

Re: Article 19 - Funnel Points [Re: Donald Harper] #13577781 06/01/20 12:52 AM
B
bassmanrudy Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
B
There is a guy on the forum that has a book I've purchased. Trying to remember his name but like mentioned above a book would be Great!! Keep it to 50 pages or so and include the pics like you have on here.

Re: Article 19 - Funnel Points [Re: Donald Harper] #13577784 06/01/20 12:54 AM
B
bassmanrudy Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
B
This guy!!

[Linked Image]

Re: Article 19 - Funnel Points [Re: Donald Harper] #13577825 06/01/20 01:31 AM
Phoenix_Ed Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
Another option would be to do these on YouTube. If some of the young knuckleheads can do it, maybe it is time for an old hand to give it a go!!!

Good stuff sir, I will make some time when it is hot to read through these. Thank you.

Wishin I was fishin!! ..............>(((//*>
2021 Phoenix 819 - Mercury 200 4 Stroke - Ultrex
Her name is Novia Número Cinco.
Humminbird Helix 10 Mega DI - Helix 12 Mega SI - Mega 360
PB Largemouth - 9.51 - Toledo Bend - March 2014
Re: Article 19 - Funnel Points [Re: Donald Harper] #13579831 06/02/20 05:20 PM
C
ChampionDon (SkeeterDon) Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
C
Another great article...Thanks Don

2011 BassChamps East Region Champions-Lake Sam Rayburn Oct 1-2
Central Texas Realtor, Helping People Buy/Sell Their Home, Give Me A Call.
2020 Bullet 21XRS 2020 Mercury 250 ProXS
www.powertackle.com
www.swaggertackle.com
www.hogfarmberbaits.com
www.honestac.com
www.whortonins.com
Donnie C. O'Neal - 512-431-5977

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide