Forums59
Topics1,039,153
Posts13,960,098
Members144,192
Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: What are you tying while quarantined? [Re: McKinneyLonghorn] #13574833 05/29/20 03:53 AM
C
COFF Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
C
Well I've officially started down the gamechanger bunny hole. If I catch a fish on one of these I may never get out.

The top one is the Chocklett's game changer ribbon. It is all white and I added the black with a sharpie. Attempted to make a gill with a red sharpie, but it looks like a messed up smiley face.

The rainbow pattern used some generic white and olive synthetic fiber bundles I've had for years. They came in zip tied bundles like flash material. It is much more difficult to work with, but I like the result better. I need some practice on the technique though. I let the olive fiber roll over the top on me a little, so the other side of the fly is almost all white. Also, if you look close right under the eye is some red flash that was supposed to be a gill. I thought it was in the right spot while before I trimmed it, but now it just looks like a bleeding eyeball.

[Linked Image]

Re: What are you tying while quarantined? [Re: McKinneyLonghorn] #13575200 05/29/20 02:11 PM
M
McKinneyLonghorn Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
M
Those gamechangers look great. Typically the unweighted gamechangers float initially and then get waterlogged and end up a few inches under the surface on the retrieve. I find that bass tend to hit them very hard so once you start catching fish you are definitely going to want to tie some more.

Re: What are you tying while quarantined? [Re: McKinneyLonghorn] #13575634 05/29/20 06:44 PM
C
COFF Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
C
Appreciate the tip. I'm experimenting with a belly scratcher weight now to make one that runs deeper.

I'd also like to note that I made the splines using paper clips. After just a little experimentation with my pliers, it is super easy to do and I knocked out about a dozen splines in a half hour sitting with the wife watching TV.

Re: What are you tying while quarantined? [Re: COFF] #13577270 05/31/20 03:35 PM
M
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
M
Originally Posted by COFF
Appreciate the tip. I'm experimenting with a belly scratcher weight now to make one that runs deeper.

I'd also like to note that I made the splines using paper clips. After just a little experimentation with my pliers, it is super easy to do and I knocked out about a dozen splines in a half hour sitting with the wife watching TV.

Never used paper clips for spines but I imagine they should work well. Since you don't have a second hook on the fly they shouldn't be under any real pressure so you don't have to worry about them breaking.

Re: What are you tying while quarantined? [Re: McKinneyLonghorn] #13577427 05/31/20 06:38 PM
M
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
M
My favorite type of flies to fish are crawfish imitations. Been tying up several different patterns lately. The one I am most proud of is a pattern I came up with a few years ago that has proven very successful on a variety of species including bass, sunfish, carp and gar. It is I guess what you could classify as a guide fly since it is very quick and easy to tie. Tie in a zonker tail and some rubber legs at the rear then dub a body using Fly Tyer's Dungeon Sand Crab dubbing in a dubbing loop. These are size 4, but I have tied them as big as size 2 and as small as size 8. I tend to give my flies names so this one is the Linebreaker Craw, named so because the first fish I hooked on it was a nice bass that broke me off. Shortly after that I hooked a carp that also broke me off and voila, the fly earned a name.

[Linked Image]

Re: What are you tying while quarantined? [Re: McKinneyLonghorn] #13578564 06/01/20 06:59 PM
C
COFF Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
C
Originally Posted by McKinneyLonghorn
Originally Posted by COFF

Never used paper clips for spines but I imagine they should work well. Since you don't have a second hook on the fly they shouldn't be under any real pressure so you don't have to worry about them breaking.

I ended up with two versions of the spline that I tested for strength. For the first, I had one end that was just an eye and the other had an arm that got tied down to the spline (right one in pic). The second version had arms on both sides which got tied down with thread (left in pic).

To test, I tied up two splines of each design together as it would when you tied a fly. I then tied a piece of 30# mono to the ends and pulled with a scale. On the first, the eyes opened up at about 15# on the scale. One the second, I broke the mono at around 35# on the scale and the splines did not open.

[Linked Image]

Re: What are you tying while quarantined? [Re: McKinneyLonghorn] #13585782 06/07/20 03:42 AM
banker-always fishing Offline
Pumpkin Head
Pumpkin Head
Love this thread. Great baits. cheers

[Linked Image][Linked Image]

IGFA World Record Rio Grande Cichlid. Lake Dunlap.

John 3:16

Sinner's Prayer. God forgive me a sinner. I accept Jesus Christ as my Savior !
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide