Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Ready for tournaments to start back? #13567707 05/22/20 05:32 PM
Andrew Upshaw Offline OP
Angler
OP Offline
Angler
Catching the right bass when the money on the line is incredibly difficult. Some people believe it’s luck, while others believe it’s skill. I think both of those factor into winning, but the most important things are decision making, execution, and how hard you work before the event even gets here.

https://youtu.be/numj9WH28hI

What is your recipe for success in tournament fishing?

Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: Ready for tournaments to start back? [Re: Andrew Upshaw] #13567741 05/22/20 06:00 PM
C
CashFishingTeam Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
C
Go with your gut. Some people have that instinct or they don’t. It comes with time on the water. One sure hard fact I have noticed over any though is an anglers ability to recall information. I heard Hank Parker talk about this recently and he’s 100% right. It’s what separates the best anglers. He could recall where a stump on a bank was that he caught a bass on 10 years later, and what he caught it on. I’ll give a quick example how this worked for me in a tournament just last week! I was fishing in the very back of a cut and it started to get shallow and I was kicking up mud with the trolling motor so I started to cut across to the other side to fish up the other bank, as I was doing that I remembered a friend of mine telling me how he caught a five pounder in the back of that same cut making a cast as far as he could to the very back with a pop-r. The tournament that he did that in was back in 2004. I remember that and as I was cutting across I made a far cast to the very back with my frog and sure enough a bass blew up on it. He missed it and my partner threw a Texas rig back in there and caught it. It was one of our five keepers and we needed it to take the check that night. Anyways if it wasn’t for my ability to recall a fish that was not even caught by me, but caught by someone else 16 years ago in that same pocket, I would have never made that cast and we would have never caught that fish!!! Most fisherman don’t have that, or even think that hard on the water. Some do and they seem to cash the most checks. Logs do help! Although all mine is in my head. Any ways that’s my story.

Last edited by CashFishingTeam; 05/22/20 06:02 PM. Reason: Spelling
Re: Ready for tournaments to start back? [Re: CashFishingTeam] #13567984 05/22/20 08:55 PM
Duck_Hunter Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
Originally Posted by CashFishingTeam
Go with your gut. Some people have that instinct or they don’t. It comes with time on the water. One sure hard fact I have noticed over any though is an anglers ability to recall information. I heard Hank Parker talk about this recently and he’s 100% right. It’s what separates the best anglers. He could recall where a stump on a bank was that he caught a bass on 10 years later, and what he caught it on. I’ll give a quick example how this worked for me in a tournament just last week! I was fishing in the very back of a cut and it started to get shallow and I was kicking up mud with the trolling motor so I started to cut across to the other side to fish up the other bank, as I was doing that I remembered a friend of mine telling me how he caught a five pounder in the back of that same cut making a cast as far as he could to the very back with a pop-r. The tournament that he did that in was back in 2004. I remember that and as I was cutting across I made a far cast to the very back with my frog and sure enough a bass blew up on it. He missed it and my partner threw a Texas rig back in there and caught it. It was one of our five keepers and we needed it to take the check that night. Anyways if it wasn’t for my ability to recall a fish that was not even caught by me, but caught by someone else 16 years ago in that same pocket, I would have never made that cast and we would have never caught that fish!!! Most fisherman don’t have that, or even think that hard on the water. Some do and they seem to cash the most checks. Logs do help! Although all mine is in my head. Any ways that’s my story.

Instinct is innate, meaning it is natural and instilled in you, not a learned experience, such as time on the water.

[Linked Image]
Re: Ready for tournaments to start back? [Re: Andrew Upshaw] #13567997 05/22/20 09:05 PM
senko9S Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
building brush piles... popcorn

Re: Ready for tournaments to start back? [Re: Andrew Upshaw] #13568011 05/22/20 09:18 PM
S
SteezMacQueen Online Happy
TFF Guru
Online Happy
TFF Guru
S
During the “stay home stay safe” stuff, I fished more tourneys than I’ve ever fished in a 6 week timeframe.

Eat. Sleep. Fish.
Re: Ready for tournaments to start back? [Re: CashFishingTeam] #13568089 05/22/20 10:33 PM
TajChauvin Offline
Angler
Angler

Great point. I believe there is a lot of truth
to your post. That on the water time also builds confidence in each angler so that those instants can be fully tapped. I think the ability to read water goes right along with having that experience. There are many times in which I See boats in good areas and they simply pass by the spot within that spot where the fish are.

Last edited by TajChauvin; 05/22/20 10:37 PM.
Re: Ready for tournaments to start back? [Re: CashFishingTeam] #13568178 05/22/20 11:36 PM
Andrew Upshaw Offline OP
Angler
OP Offline
Angler

Thank you for posting your story. So cool man

Re: Ready for tournaments to start back? [Re: senko9S] #13568181 05/22/20 11:36 PM
Andrew Upshaw Offline OP
Angler
OP Offline
Angler
Originally Posted by senko9S
building brush piles... popcorn

You aren’t wrong lol

Re: Ready for tournaments to start back? [Re: SteezMacQueen] #13568183 05/22/20 11:36 PM
Andrew Upshaw Offline OP
Angler
OP Offline
Angler
Originally Posted by SteezMacQueen
During the “stay home stay safe” stuff, I fished more tourneys than I’ve ever fished in a 6 week timeframe.

Lucky...

Re: Ready for tournaments to start back? [Re: TajChauvin] #13568185 05/22/20 11:38 PM
Andrew Upshaw Offline OP
Angler
OP Offline
Angler
Originally Posted by TajChauvin

to your post. That on the water time also builds confidence in each angler so that those instants can be fully tapped. I think the ability to read water goes right along with having that experience. There are many times in which I See boats in good areas and they simply pass by the spot within that spot where the fish are.

That happens a lot of times. Sometimes the person fishing the spot might even know where the spot on a spot is, but didn’t throw the right bait or go to it at the right time either.

Re: Ready for tournaments to start back? [Re: Andrew Upshaw] #13568300 05/23/20 01:27 AM
M
machoblanco61 Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
M
The worlds best remember EVERYTHING

Re: Ready for tournaments to start back? [Re: Andrew Upshaw] #13568707 05/23/20 01:42 PM
TajChauvin Offline
Angler
Angler
Originally Posted by Andrew Upshaw
Originally Posted by TajChauvin

That happens a lot of times. Sometimes the person fishing the spot might even know where the spot on a spot is, but didn’t throw the right bait or go to it at the right time either.

Man that's so true. I had a couple of insane fish catch about a month ago where all of these factors were in play. I was fishing one afternoon on Fork with very little success but I knew the exact spots, baits, and time in which I needed to be on those spots. I patiently stayed off of them and fished a finesse worm on some adjacent cover. During this time I watched three other boats fish through the money spots with no luck. When the sun got right all other boats were gone and I headed straight to the first spot. I made two cast with a Ribbit frog and on the second cast a 4 pounder came from ten feet away and crushed it. I made a few more cast without luck and then headed straight for the second spot. Nothing but pure instincts told me that the second spot was holding a bigger fish. I made no cast as I approached. I put down the Ribbit and picked up a hollow body popping frog. I anchored down and made one long cast over it knowing I only had one shot at a fish. After about two minutes of working this frog dead slow a 6 pounder crushed it! It was pretty surreal catching both of those fish and seeing all of these factors come together. Getting all of the factors right does not happen often but when they do is when you see tournament anglers earn a lot of money.

Re: Ready for tournaments to start back? [Re: Andrew Upshaw] #13568914 05/23/20 04:55 PM
1bassdaddy Offline
Angler
Angler
I'm not saying there is no luck in fishing but if someone has to depend on luck to have a successful outing they are not a very good fishermen.

Re: Ready for tournaments to start back? [Re: CashFishingTeam] #13568926 05/23/20 05:08 PM
SkeeterRonnie Offline
Super Freak
Super Freak

which cut grin I know exactly what you are talking about in regards to that instinct/6th sense. Capp has it. I ignore it, and am slowly learning to listen to it.

Re: Ready for tournaments to start back? [Re: SteezMacQueen] #13568945 05/23/20 05:32 PM
D
Douglas J Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
D
Originally Posted by SteezMacQueen

Awesome!! The virus is shaking out to be less potent than many illnesses we do not ruin our economy for, I am glad you got out and did not hide like a scared sheep. Isolation from other humans is one of the worst things on the physical and mental health and wellbeing of humans.

Sadly, the potential for many suicides in the near future, from the financial devastation, could be shocking.

#MFGA
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide