Print Thread
8-9 Wt Combo for Bass and Plastics #13566152 05/21/20 01:33 PM
H
hadite81 Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
H
Can you throw a Texas rigged weightless worm set up with this size combo, or will it be too heavy on the bait end?
Have a chance to pick up a rod/reel 8-9 wt for a decent deal, but wondering if I need heavier for casting plastics.
(New to FF)

Re: 8-9 Wt Combo for Bass and Plastics [Re: hadite81] #13566281 05/21/20 03:11 PM
jrod88 Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
I’m sure you could, with big, open loops, but I’d be concerned about the worm ripping or flying off during false casting since they aren’t tied. I have no experience fly casting plastics other than squirmy wormy flies on 3/5/6 weight rods.

Re: 8-9 Wt Combo for Bass and Plastics [Re: hadite81] #13566335 05/21/20 03:58 PM
R
RexW Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
R
An 8/9 wt can cast an unweighted plastic worm. But a standard size lead weight in front of the worm, per a standard Texas rig, will cause problems. I would not attempt to cast a standard Texas rig using a lead weight with any fly rod. There are better rod choices for that fishing technique.

If you want to fish plastic worms with a fly rod think along the lines of finesse style techniques. However, even with an 8 wt, I'd stick with the medium size plastic worms, the magnum sizes will be an issue to cast.

Now the biggest problem fishing plastic baits has already been mentioned. It is a challenge to cast them without ripping them off the hooks. Some folks will super glue the worm to the hook and it works, but it slows down bait changes. You will go through a lot of plastic worms using a fly rod until you learn how to modify your casting technique.

Yes, you can catch fish using a plastic worm on a fly rod. I've done it, but I don't do it anymore. In my opinion, it is not worth the extra effort. With a fly rod, it is a very slow way of fishing and there are better options for flies that will fishing the same conditions as a plastic worm that are way more efficient with fly rod.

Obviously, your mileage may vary.

Have fun with the new rod!

Fly Fishers International certified casting instructor
TFO Rods pro staff
Re: 8-9 Wt Combo for Bass and Plastics [Re: hadite81] #13566343 05/21/20 04:07 PM
H
hadite81 Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
H
Makes sense... I guess I could actually secure worm a bit different as well.

Re: 8-9 Wt Combo for Bass and Plastics [Re: hadite81] #13566417 05/21/20 05:21 PM
M
mbarker68x Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
M
I have never tried plastic worms on a fly rod. I have used the trout magnet grubs and crayfish with pretty good success. I lay a base of thread down on the standard jig hook that the come with, get the plastic started and hit the thread with some super glue and slide it the rest f the way on. I think they come with 1/64oz jig heads.. now I use 3wts and below most of the time. So open loops are key. And a healthy supply of said rigs. They will rip off over time.

Re: 8-9 Wt Combo for Bass and Plastics [Re: hadite81] #13566839 05/21/20 11:00 PM
J
Jim Ford Online Content
Extreme Angler
Online Content
Extreme Angler
J
There are flies that you can cast with an eight weight that will emulate the action of a worm. Get a fly tier near you to tiw up some weighted rabbit strips.

Re: 8-9 Wt Combo for Bass and Plastics [Re: hadite81] #13566853 05/21/20 11:13 PM
S
Smurfs Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity
S
[Linked Image]

Last edited by Smurfs; 05/21/20 11:15 PM.
Re: 8-9 Wt Combo for Bass and Plastics [Re: hadite81] #13566882 05/21/20 11:53 PM
B
BoPro Offline
Angler
Angler
B
I throw some huge flies on my 9wt for pike, but even when they are water logged, it's a chore. My bass flies max out at about 5 inches, bigger than that, it's ugh.. If I wanted to throw plastics on a tx rig, I'd just use a conventional baitcaster.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by BoPro; 05/21/20 11:56 PM.

Re: 8-9 Wt Combo for Bass and Plastics [Re: hadite81] #13566935 05/22/20 12:39 AM
B
Bones72 Offline
Angler
Angler
B
Here you go the bottom fly is the one I tie for a "plastic worm" fly. Furled the tail with purple and black lazer dub with a pink widows web furling base. Have used foam as a base as well. The foam drags the tail up and makes it really wiggle.

[Linked Image]

Of course a plain old pike bunny would get it done for a weightless fly.

[Linked Image]

Re: 8-9 Wt Combo for Bass and Plastics [Re: hadite81] #13567737 05/22/20 05:59 PM
O
Osbornfishing Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
O
I Plnor (Pole and Line No Reel) with a fly rod, and I throw jigs, lures, one ounce weights, and crankbaits with it. Although you can throw really heavy weighted lures with a fly rod, it is important to understand that these techniques are not considered fly fishing, by definition. To be considered fly fishing, the weight of the line must carry the fly, rather than the weight of the fly carrying the line. If you are just trying to catch a fish, the distinction may not matter, but to the purest, or if you are chasing record, the distinction is important.

Re: 8-9 Wt Combo for Bass and Plastics [Re: hadite81] #13570645 05/25/20 02:31 PM
F
Fish Chaser Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
F
"but to the purest" - Barry, that's actually "purist". Owner makes a hook with a little "corkscrew" attached to the hookeye that let's you thread the worm or other soft plastic onto it, then you run the hook point through the body like you do on a Texas rig - you won't throw the soft plastic off the hook using that, no matter how bad your casting is. You'd have no problem throwing it with a 7-9-wt rod. I've caught literally hundreds of bass that way. Just be sure to stripset when you have a bite. As Rex said, it's a slow way of fishing, but effective.

Last edited by Fish Chaser; 05/25/20 02:35 PM.
Re: 8-9 Wt Combo for Bass and Plastics [Re: hadite81] #13576811 05/30/20 11:13 PM
C
Canoeman1947 Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
C
About 20 years ago Jack Ellis wrote a book called "Bassin' With a Fly Rod" in which he wrote quite a bit about using plastic worms. I have done it, and was successful, but it is much easier to cast a streamer if I want to fish subsurface for bass.

Larry

Re: 8-9 Wt Combo for Bass and Plastics [Re: Fish Chaser] #13579715 06/02/20 04:03 PM
O
Osbornfishing Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
O
R
Originally Posted by Fish Chaser
"but to the purest" - Barry, that's actually "purist". Owner makes a hook with a little "corkscrew" attached to the hookeye that let's you thread the worm or other soft plastic onto it, then you run the hook point through the body like you do on a Texas rig - you won't throw the soft plastic off the hook using that, no matter how bad your casting is. You'd have no problem throwing it with a 7-9-wt rod. I've caught literally hundreds of bass that way. Just be sure to stripset when you have a bite. As Rex said, it's a slow way of fishing, but effective.

I really enjoy reeling in fish on a fly rod and I have thrown a plastic worm and even a crankbait on a fly rod to catch bass. I have caught redfish by throwing a 1 oz jig on a fly rod. My point was that in Texas, techniques like throwing worms or heavy lures are not considered fly fishing, by definition. Here is how Texas Parks and Wildlife defines fly fishing:
The lure must be a recognized type of artificial fly.
A fly may be dressed on a single or double hook or two single hooks in tandem. Treble hooks are prohibited. The use of any other type of lure or natural or preserved bait, either singularly or attached to the fly, is prohibited.
No scent, either natural or artificial, is allowed on flies. The use of scented material in a fly is prohibited.
The rod, reel, line, and leader equipment used must be designed for fly fishing.
Casting and retrieving must be carried out in accordance with normal customs and generally accepted practices. The major criterion in casting is that the weight of the line must carry the lure rather than the weight of the lure carrying the line.

Re: 8-9 Wt Combo for Bass and Plastics [Re: Osbornfishing] #13579847 06/02/20 05:41 PM
C
COFF Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
C
Originally Posted by Osbornfishing

I really enjoy reeling in fish on a fly rod and I have thrown a plastic worm and even a crankbait on a fly rod to catch bass. I have caught redfish by throwing a 1 oz jig on a fly rod. My point was that in Texas, techniques like throwing worms or heavy lures are not considered fly fishing, by definition. Here is how Texas Parks and Wildlife defines fly fishing:
A fly may be dressed on a single or double hook or two single hooks in tandem. Treble hooks are prohibited. The use of any other type of lure or natural or preserved bait, either singularly or attached to the fly, is prohibited.
No scent, either natural or artificial, is allowed on flies. The use of scented material in a fly is prohibited.
The rod, reel, line, and leader equipment used must be designed for fly fishing.
Casting and retrieving must be carried out in accordance with normal customs and generally accepted practices. The major criterion in casting is that the weight of the line must carry the lure rather than the weight of the lure carrying the line.

By that definition, using a regular spool of mono or flouro line as a leader or tippet would not be qualified as fly fishing.

Not arguing with you here, just stating that that is a pretty limiting definition.

Re: 8-9 Wt Combo for Bass and Plastics [Re: COFF] #13580067 06/02/20 08:36 PM
O
Osbornfishing Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
O
Originally Posted by COFF
Originally Posted by Osbornfishing

By that definition, using a regular spool of mono or flouro line as a leader or tippet would not be qualified as fly fishing.

Not arguing with you here, just stating that that is a pretty limiting definition.

That is an interesting observation. As with any guidance, there will be interpretation. Since I fish for records, I try and adhere to all the requirements of an organization, so when I catch a fish it will qualify for a record. It seems like it would be an easy task, but each organization has slightly different requirements. Some organizations, like the IGFA, are very strict about tackle requirements. Personally, I would not submit a fly fishing record for a fish I caught with a plastic worm. But it would not hurt to ask the TPWD if that would qualify.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide