Print Thread
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: Inflatable PFD's Input [Re: Tiltman] #13562566 05/18/20 05:26 PM
R
RedRanger521 Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
R
I've been using these for years and never had an issue. A lot of great points- Type of PFD is sewn on a patch on the device-maintenance is a huge factor, along with keeping a spare cartridge for each one.

I also wear mine close-not super tight but close-experience from a previous job where if the straps were loose bad things can happen.

I keep mine in a closed tote in my rig so not to expose them to the humidity in the rig during storage. I have to check the " Green " dot to make sure it's ready every time I wear it and I have also marked the expiration date on my calendar.

As far as what is required in your boat and this probably won't apply to 90% of most folks-I used to fish most of the southeast part of the USA-i know it's been a few years but different states have different rules as far as what the requirements are for Type 2, 3, or 4 PFDs. Most of them are similar as far as type 3 and 4 but I've seen some variations on requirements of the type 2's

I also carry extra type 3 PFD's-just in case smile

[Linked Image]
2022 Caymas CX21Pro, Mercury 250 4 Stroke, 52" Ultrex 112 MS I Pilot Link, HBird M360, Two 16"Apex MSI+, Two Garmin EchoMap 126 Ultras, Two LVS34, PowerPole Blades
Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: Inflatable PFD's Input [Re: dr14] #13562574 05/18/20 05:30 PM
Rickmb Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Originally Posted by dr14
Originally Posted by Rickmb
I had an Onyx deploy once without me in it while it was on the seat of the boat. Sounded like a gun going off and filling the bladder sounded like a bullet whistling overhead. I literally hit the deck and dove under the console (so much for PTSD). My buddy laughed about it once we figured out what happened. So I do not care for the type where the ring dissolves in water, too much moisture and over time the ring will partially dissolve until it gets weak and deploys. I have had them deploy sitting in a boat compartment.
I prefer the hydrostatic type where it uses water pressure to deploy.

I have had the cheaper ones with just straps which can get easily tangled and harder to put on over layers in the winter. I have one that's more of a harness that is comfortable and easy to put on.
When fishing along or in inclement weather I wear one the entire time I'm on the water and it doesn't really get in the way.

Which model is the one you mentioned was comfortable and is to put on. thanks

https://mustangsurvival.com/collect...s-competition-auto-hydrostatic-md5183-bc

2018 Skeeter ZX250
2018 Yamaha 250 SHO
Re: Inflatable PFD's Input [Re: Flippin-Out] #13562654 05/18/20 06:35 PM
Sinkey Online Content
Tidy Scoop
Online Content
Tidy Scoop
Originally Posted by Flippin-Out
Originally Posted by Sinkey
I had 2 different Mustangs. One expanded in my rod box. The other I tested by jumping in the lake and it did NOT expand. Two total different spectrum. So I went back to traditional life jackets. That way no worries.

Did you happen to read the owner's manual instructions for storage? Anywhere in the boat isn't really a good place to store them when not in use. I suspect the firing mechanism wasn't properly maintained after being compromised from storage in a damp environment. The one that expanded in the rod box did so because the firing "button" that disintegrates from moisture did exactly that after being wet/damp long-term from undesirable storage. The arming mechanism has an expiration date that I bet most ignore. Those units typically end up doing what your's did in the rod box. Properly maintained, they're quite reliable. The issue is that most boaters never note there's any maintenance for the convenience of inflatable.

Note that any compartment in the boat will have more moisture because there's often some water in the bilge that rarely dries up completely. Humid garages in Texas are no good either. Mine are in a closet inside the house, even though my garage is cooled during the hot months.

I know how to store a life jacket. It was in a dry compartment! No moisture.

Too much [censored] and questions about a life jacket.......so I went back to traditional. Now I dont have to worry about my lifejacket!

Re: Inflatable PFD's Input [Re: Tiltman] #13563206 05/19/20 03:16 AM
F
Flippin-Out Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
F
Every compartment in a boat in Texas has moisture. It's in the air, and the confined space combined with temperature changes causes it to condense and re-evaporate in cycles. The dissolving button absorbs this moisture over time during these cycles.

Just FYI for others who still have inflatable PFDs: about the air in Texas - it's VERY HUMID! Closed in a compartment (even one you consider to be "dry" in layman's terms) still traps moisture in the confined space of the compartment, which can be quite a bit in many parts of Texas. The most reliable way to store them day-in/day-out when not in use is in an air conditioned space, nothing less. Not doing that allows the dissolving "button" to eventually crumble from absorbed humidity, letting the CO2 go poof to fill the bladder.

Re: Inflatable PFD's Input [Re: Tiltman] #13563374 05/19/20 12:21 PM
J
Jpurdue Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
J
I've researched it a dozen times and every time the feedback has been the same: Inflatable PDF's work great almost all of the time. So I just stick with a conventional vest.

"Bragging may not bring happiness, but no man having caught a large fish goes home through an alley." -A.L.

www.LunkerLore.com

Re: Inflatable PFD's Input [Re: Tiltman] #13564439 05/20/20 01:57 AM
Mark in Frisco Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
I got in a bad habit of storing my inflatable draped over my steering wheel in my boat storage. I did this to keep the inflatable dried-out. I had a rented storage building, and the roof leaked during a big rainstorm. My inflatable went off while hanging around my steering wheel.
When I came to my storage a week or so later the inflatable was blown up tight to the steering wheel and steering column. I had to deflate it to get it out. I found out later that the inflatable actuated my jack plate control and burned up my jack plate motor.
It was totally my fault for being stupid enough to leave my battery switch on - lesson learned. But I have never again had any problem with that old inflatable (after re-charge) - I have had it 15 plus years.

Mark in Frisco
Re: Inflatable PFD's Input [Re: Jpurdue] #13564557 05/20/20 03:43 AM
Larry Mosby Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Originally Posted by Jpurdue
I've researched it a dozen times and every time the feedback has been the same: Inflatable PDF's work great almost all of the time. So I just stick with a conventional vest.

Almost isn't good enough for me! I choose conventional also.

Larry Mosby
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide